PDA

View Full Version : Our fearless leader, Phil, knows a thing or two...

8timechamps
12/8/2013, 03:53 PM
I consider myself fairly knowledgeable when it comes to college football. Not an "expert" by any means, but an avid follower for decades. Today, I humbly post my acknowledgement of Phil's excellent insight.

First, even with a win over OSU, I didn't think our Sooners had a chance to play in a BCS game. Phil, who may possess a crystal ball, has remained steadfast in his conviction that OU would get a BCS bid should they win in Stillwater. Well played sir.

Secondly, after finally accepting that we could (most likely will) play Bama in the Sugar Bowl, I immediately thought "ugh, a replay of last year's Cotton Bowl". Again, I was wrong. (at this point, if you haven't read the latest Road Warrior Report, go here (http://www.soonerfans.com/content.php?95-The-Road-Warrior-Report-Oklahoma-State-Review-December-8-2013) and read it). After sleeping, and giving this some more thought, I am excited about this opportunity. For the past few years, we've all talked (and frankly, whined) about the SEC love. Now, we get a chance to see exactly how we stack up. Bama may not be in the title game, but you're still going to be hard pressed to find a better team week in and week out, and it took Bama playing their worst half of football (in two years), in a rivalry game, on a last second miricle play, to keep the Tide out of another championship bout.

We've watched as our team went to South Bend and beat a pretty decent Irish team. We've watched as a top 10, undefeated Tech team rolled into Norman and lost. We witnessed our team, not expected to win nationally, beat OSU at their house. Of course we've also seen this team simply not show up in a game they should have won in Dallas. And, we've watched in horror, as Baylor made us look like Kansas. Still, we know what this team can do when they come prepared to play, and refuse to give up. I believe this team can beat Alabama. I believe, when this team plays to it's ability, on both sides of the ball, they can match up with any team in the country.

So, Phil made an excellent point in his report. We want to be the best. And like just about everything in life, if you want to be the best, you must beat the best. I think we can do just that.

My hat is off to Phil, our HMFIC!

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/8/2013, 04:05 PM
Word!

Soonerwake
12/8/2013, 04:07 PM
Best Road Warrior Report ever!!!

I couldn't have said it any better. I was one that thought we would lose, but boy was I wrong. What this team has that isn't measured is heart and tenacity. They have that kick-*** attitude. And, where does that start? Yes, with our head coach and staff. There is a new-found attitude that appears to have been lacking in the past couple of years. I think the offseason staff change-over has really lit a fire that I love..
Plus, I am so disappointed in some of my fellow Sooner "fans". Playing Bama in the Sugar Bowl is the best thing that could have happened. We get to play the two-time defending champ who is widely recognized as one of the best this year, with all of the media that goes with it. And, anyone who doesn't think this will be a huge boost for recruiting is crazy..
I'm pumped!!!!

cherokeebrewer
12/8/2013, 04:13 PM
Playing the defending National Champs is a win-win for OU. We can do this...Bring 'em on!

SoonerMarkVA
12/8/2013, 04:20 PM
And like just about everything in life, if you want to be the best, you must beat the best.

This is exactly why I want our conference to be as strong as possible, top to bottom. Getting fat on cream only makes easy work of you when you finally do face a strong opponent. I don't think it's any accident that we won the NC game in 2000, but lost the subsequent 3 opportunities. The XII did nothing to prepare us for LSU, USC, or UF.

I am really excited about the prospect of facing "Bama in the Sugar. Really, just second only to getting a shot at another NC game.

C&CDean
12/8/2013, 04:22 PM
Best Road Warrior Report ever!!!

I couldn't have said it any better. I was one that thought we would lose, but boy was I wrong. What this team has that isn't measured is heart and tenacity. They have that kick-*** attitude. And, where does that start? Yes, with our head coach and staff. There is a new-found attitude that appears to have been lacking in the past couple of years. I think the offseason staff change-over has really lit a fire that I love..
Plus, I am so disappointed in some of my fellow Sooner "fans". Playing Bama in the Sugar Bowl is the best thing that could have happened. We get to play the two-time defending champ who is widely recognized as one of the best this year, with all of the media that goes with it. And, anyone who doesn't think this will be a huge boost for recruiting is crazy..
I'm pumped!!!!

Well said Jim. But I didn't think we'd lose to them - so much so that I bet on OU to win straight up with several aggys (and I quit betting on OU 20 years ago). I listened for two weeks about how they were going to spend my $$, how much better and consistent a program they have, how Stoops is a has-been (guess they listen to some of our POS fans?) and their boy the Chia pet was the hottest coach on the planet, yada yada yada. To top it off, I won a pool for the final score on the last play of the game. Very enjoyable/profitable weekend for me.

Against bammer, alls I can say is there's gonna be a ****pot of red in that place.

Jacie
12/8/2013, 05:27 PM
This is exactly why I want our conference to be as strong as possible, top to bottom. Getting fat on cream only makes easy work of you when you finally do face a strong opponent. I don't think it's any accident that we won the NC game in 2000, but lost the subsequent 3 opportunities. The XII did nothing to prepare us for LSU, USC, or UF.

As Urban Meyer found out, the glitzy undefeated 24-0 buckeyes had no answer against a good defense.

okiewaker
12/8/2013, 06:00 PM
Very well said 8 Time.

blacktop
12/8/2013, 06:08 PM
I can't see this being anything but good for OU. We will be the underdog, in SEC terriotory, without many of our starters, and yet on a major national stage. Good for OUr prestige, OUr players, OUr school, OUr conference, OUr recruits, and OUr fans. Alabama will be tough but they have been the cream for the last 3 years and we have bitched plenty about them. Time to put OUr big boy pants on and play the game as only we can. BOOMER!

OUmillenium
12/8/2013, 11:37 PM
OSU V OU recruit - won 8 of 9, BCS game, prob win conference every even year and a few odd
UT v OU recruit - BCS game and another 10 win season

soonergirlNeugene
12/9/2013, 12:12 AM
The biggest thing that worries me is that this isn't a regular season game. Saban is pretty lights out when it comes to prepping for the postseason and recent history suggests we tend to struggle with that more than most. I hope you're right though. Maybe our level of preparation will more closely resemble the years from before Mike left for Arizona. Agreed that this is the best measuring stick we could hope for though.

cvsooner
12/9/2013, 02:14 AM
Really, it's a pretty good situation for us. Looking at their schedule, Bama had three decent opponents this season. They barely beat one (a&m), and lost one, admittedly on the last play, and an unlikely one at that. They aren't invincible, and McCarron is a classic drop back passer. If we can field a decent pass rush and DBs can play lights out, we have some chance.

Our defense can, I think, match up pretty well IF we can stop the run, which is a tall order. Our special teams are better overall, I think, and that may be the difference.

Our offense is the big question mark, though if he's healthy, Knight probably gives us the best chance at QB. Bama had a rough time with the running QBs (Manziel and Marshall), and none with Mettenberger. But he's got to be able to throw, and Saunders and Shephard have got to bring their best play with them. Also need big games out of Clay and Finch. I'd really like to see Finch uncork a great final game. Bama will clamp down on Saunders though...count on that.

Hopefully some of the more nagging injuries we have can heal up in the next three weeks. That will help as much as anything, but whether it's enough to completely make it a better game, I don't know. The disrespect and 'no chance' stuff we're hearing now may make for great motivation if the venue doesn't weird us out somehow.

Four possible scenarios: we blow them out, we win a close one, we lose a close one, or we get blown out. First one I don't see happening. Second and third possibilities are decent, and on paper, fourth one seems likely...which is why the pundits are saying what they're saying. Bama is really in the 'no win' category here. If they win big, people will say, 'sure, of course you did, defending national champs and all and OU is playing hurt, and you're 15 point faves.' No big surprise there. If they win or lose a close one, that's all to the upside for us. 'Nobody expected OU to hang within two touchdowns..." etc. So really, if we can keep from losing a la Baylor (Texas was really an upset), where they just manhandle us, this is all to the good.

Would I have liked a different opponent, and a more likely win? Sure. But this also validates what Stoops tells recruits...that we play for championships, and this is a big bowl. Reading Twitter feeds already, OU players are pretty hacked at the 'no chance' tag. We had no chance at Notre Dame, either, and no chance in Stillwater. Look how those turned out.

We also had no chance at Baylor and that one pretty much played out that way.

Going to be an interesting three weeks and one very interesting game.

I just hope and pray that Saunders and some of the players who've had dumb decisions in the past can stay out of trouble. We don't need to lose any more starters. We may be without Colvin as it is, or at least that's how it was sounding. This game will be a good measuring stick, I think, for the state of the program and the coaching staff.

Phil
12/9/2013, 07:15 AM
Well, thanks. I try.

rock on sooner
12/9/2013, 07:54 AM
We just need to be sure to put Saunders under the goal on any
'Bama field goals over 45 yards or so....

stoopified
12/9/2013, 08:34 AM
We just need to be sure to put Saunders under the goal on any
'Bama field goals over 45 yards or so.... :)

dwarthog
12/9/2013, 10:13 AM
Excellent deal for us all the way around.