View Full Version : CBS Sports Bowl Projections

Judge Smails
12/7/2013, 06:47 PM
They have:

OU vs Auburn in the Sugar Bowl and

LSU vs OSU in the Cotton Bowl.

Dallas
12/7/2013, 06:58 PM
I would just die if that were to come true. What a finish if so.

soonergirlNeugene
12/7/2013, 07:04 PM
And if Missouri wins? Something about that would just crack me up. Mizzou switches conferences to be in the big bad SEC. Wins the conference, still doesn't get to play for the title, and lines up against us in a BCS game.

I think our chances of making a BCS game are kind of a long shot, but still going to be laughing if Mizzou wins this one and gets left out.

Okie35
12/7/2013, 07:18 PM
Hilarious I don't want to play auburn though

Sabanball
12/7/2013, 07:46 PM
Depending on what Ohio State does, looks like you guys will get either Bama or Auburn in the Sugar.

8timechamps
12/7/2013, 07:50 PM
Depending on what Ohio State does, looks like you guys will get either Bama or Auburn in the Sugar.

Pass, on both.

Thanks for the offer though.

dennis580
12/7/2013, 07:52 PM
They have:

OU vs Auburn in the Sugar Bowl and

LSU vs OSU in the Cotton Bowl.

Awesome.

DrZaius
12/7/2013, 07:56 PM
Hell Yes!

dennis580
12/7/2013, 07:58 PM
I dont want Bama. I feel with a month to prepare we could find a way to slow down Auburn's run game, and with Auburn's weak defense we would have a decent shot to win. I don't feel the same way about Bama. Our offense going against Bama's defense is a scary thought, and the talent gap is just so great.

Sabanball
12/7/2013, 07:59 PM
Pass, on both.

We owe you guys and have a score to settle from our h/h 10 yrs ago. I hope it happens. Go Sparty!!!

soonertodd
12/7/2013, 08:04 PM

Sounds good to me, I would rather play a top team than play a cupcake. If Gumby and co. get LSU and start off with FSU next season, they're gonna be on a 3 game skid

Sooners78
12/7/2013, 08:07 PM
We owe you guys and have a score to settle from our h/h 10 yrs ago. I hope it happens. Go Sparty!!!

Go buckeyes. Sec doesn't deserve to go this year. A middle of the pack big 12 team just won the sec east, and competed for an sec title. There are at least 4 big 12 teams better than mizzou.

Sabanball
12/7/2013, 08:10 PM
Go buckeyes. Sec doesn't deserve to go this year. A middle of the pack big 12 team just won the sec east, and competed for an sec title. There are at least 4 big 12 teams better than mizzou.

The Sugar Bowl has a tie-in with the SEC. There WILL be an SEC team playing in New Orleans.

Soonerjeepman
12/7/2013, 08:11 PM
ugh...not sure we can stop the runner from aubarn...he just hit 300 yards...

I'd take a bcs bowl game though over a crappy bowl.

Sooners78
12/7/2013, 08:23 PM
The Sugar Bowl has a tie-in with the SEC. There WILL be an SEC team playing in New Orleans.

Was referring to the bcs title game. Rooting for fsu and Osu tonight.

Sabanball
12/7/2013, 08:27 PM
Was referring to the bcs title game. Rooting for fsu and Osu tonight.

Oh...ok. As long as Ohio St and FSU both win, I agree.

Eielson
12/7/2013, 08:34 PM
Pass, on both.

Yeah, I'm in agreement there. Early Auburn would be no problem, but I want no part of current Auburn. This OU team just simply isn't BCS-caliber, and it's rare that I say that.

ouwasp
12/7/2013, 08:42 PM
Isn't there a way OU can play Duke?

Eielson
12/7/2013, 08:55 PM
Isn't there a way OU can play Duke?

I think so. If Duke wins, they're going to the Orange. Auburn would go to the NC, Bama would have to go Sugar instead. I think Orange Bowl would select FSU, though, unless there was some rule against it. It looks to me like our only realistic options are:

1) No BCS bowl
2) Auburn in the Sugar (FSU vs OSU MNC)
3) Alabama in the Sugar (MNC with Auburn)
4) FSU in the Orange (VERY distant option, and it includes FSU winning tonight, but still getting jumped...and I think we'd have to also jump #13 Clemson)

8timechamps
12/7/2013, 08:57 PM

I'd rather not, however, I don't think it's that likely. I think you guys will be an at-large, and I'm not sure we'll be in the BCS. I think the best chance of us meeting is the Cotton, and I don't think Bama will slip out of the BCS.

8timechamps
12/7/2013, 08:58 PM
I think so. If Duke wins, they're going to the Orange. Auburn would go to the NC, Bama would have to go Sugar instead. I think Orange Bowl would select FSU, though, unless there was some rule against it. It looks to me like our only realistic options are:

1) No BCS bowl
2) Auburn in the Sugar (FSU vs OSU MNC)
3) Alabama in the Sugar (MNC with Auburn)
4) FSU in the Orange (VERY distant option, and it includes FSU winning tonight, but still getting jumped...and I think we'd have to also jump #13 Clemson)

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I think there's about a 90% chance we still end up in the Alamo.

flysooner9
12/7/2013, 09:04 PM
It's cotton or bcs IMO.

8timechamps
12/7/2013, 09:08 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I think there's about a 90% chance we still end up in the Alamo.

Actually, STRIKE that. After looking through it, I think there's a pretty good chance we end up in the Sugar against Auburn.

flysooner9
12/7/2013, 09:09 PM
What happens if Ohio state blows this?

Eielson
12/7/2013, 09:11 PM

It will be interesting. I think what it will come down to is the Sugar Bowl picking between Oregon, Clemson, and OU. Oregon really stumbled it's way to the finish, so we'll see.

Edit: It couldn't be Clemson. They're going to Orange Bowl.

8timechamps
12/7/2013, 09:12 PM
What happens if Ohio state blows this?

It doesn't affect us. They'll just swap spots with Michigan State (both are expected to be in the BCS anyway).

8timechamps
12/7/2013, 09:15 PM
It will be interesting. I think what it will come down to is the Sugar Bowl picking between Oregon, Clemson, and OU. Oregon really stumbled it's way to the finish, so we'll see.

Agreed. But after looking at it, I think we have a pretty good shot at the Sugar.

Eielson
12/7/2013, 09:17 PM
It doesn't affect us. They'll just swap spots with Michigan State (both are expected to be in the BCS anyway).

It doesn't change our likelihood of making the BCS, but it would change our opponent. We would get Alabama instead of Auburn...so yeah...go Buckeyes!

The swap idea is basically right, but it's between Auburn/Alabama/MSU/OSU, and not just MSU/OSU.

8timechamps
12/7/2013, 09:19 PM
It doesn't change our likelihood of making the BCS, but it would change our opponent. We would get Alabama instead of Auburn...so yeah...go Buckeyes!

The swap idea is basically right, but it's between Auburn/Alabama/MSU/OSU, and not just MSU/OSU.

Correct, I meant it wouldn't change our chances. What a year to end the BCS!

Eielson
12/7/2013, 09:24 PM
That's what I figured, but I was just clarifying. In my opinion, it has big implications for us, because I think Auburn is beatable (relative to Bama).

8timechamps
12/7/2013, 09:27 PM
That's what I figured, but I was just clarifying. In my opinion, it has big implications for us, because I think Auburn is beatable (relative to Bama).

Yeah, Auburn is a one dimensional team (although, that one dimension is really good). I certainly like our chances against Auburn more than Bama. Unfortunately, Ohio State is laying a big egg.

fadada1
12/7/2013, 09:29 PM

Based on our "tackling", I'd rather not play auburn. They'd run for 600 on us. Bama might only go for 400.

Sooners78
12/7/2013, 09:50 PM
Based on our "tackling", I'd rather not play auburn. They'd run for 600 on us. Bama might only go for 400.
If they had any passing game, I would agree. We can shut down the run if that's all they have. Our defense is better than mizzous. That being said, we don't deserve a bcs bowl.

aurorasooner
12/7/2013, 10:10 PM
If they had any passing game, I would agree. We can shut down the run if that's all they have. Our defense is better than mizzous. That being said, we don't deserve a bcs bowl.

I don't agree that our D is better than Mizzou's especially up front, and after watching Auburn the last 3 weeks, they'd have a "track meet" against our D, unless we get some of our injured players back.
I do agree that we don't deserve a BCS bid and we'll be damn lucky whichever bowl we get, if we win, and for that matter, even keep the score close (if our coach's past history bowl-prep is any indication).
As far as our offense goes, it's hit or miss, since we're so predictable, whether we could even move the ball on a team with a good D (or good DC) who has a month to prep. Our best chance would probably be to name Bell the starter and TK as iffy (injury), and then have TK miraculously make a recovery and start out with the read-option (or Thompson). If he's ineffective then bring B Bell in off the bench.

Sooners78
12/7/2013, 10:19 PM
No way auburn would run like that against our d without a pass threat. That was pathetic. Sec east champion.

Sabanball
12/7/2013, 11:54 PM
Sugar Bowl here we come, folks.

lexsooner
12/7/2013, 11:58 PM

I hope we get there too. I just wish it was not against Bama, but a BCS bowl would be great.

Eielson
12/8/2013, 12:01 AM

Do you guys have a weakness other than FG return coverage?

I feel like this Alabama team might be better than the two SEC teams we lost to in MNC games. We, on the other hand, are far worse.

flysooner9
12/8/2013, 12:03 AM
I'd rather get spanked by Bama in a bcs game then potentially lose to an Oregon in the Alamo.

lexsooner
12/8/2013, 12:06 AM
I'd rather get spanked by Bama in a bcs game then potentially lose to an Oregon in the Alamo.

I agree. I think we should be in the Sugar so Texas can be in their annual backyard bowl and get spanked by Oregon.

Judge Smails
12/8/2013, 12:06 AM
Now I'm hearing OU and Clemson in the Orange Bowl.

Thoughts?

Eielson
12/8/2013, 12:07 AM
Now I'm hearing OU and Clemson in the Orange Bowl.

Thoughts?

Orange Bowl would have to pick us over Ohio State. I don't see that happening, but I'm all for it.

dennis580
12/8/2013, 12:08 AM
Looks like we will get the Cotton vs LSU. A marque opponent that is far easier to beat then Auburn.

BajaOklahoma
12/8/2013, 12:14 AM
The Cotton wants OU and either Mizzou or SC.
It will not be lsu. Period.

soonercastor
12/8/2013, 12:16 AM
Orange gets the first pick correct?

So Bama is a lock for the Orange, then it's the Sugar and they probably take Ohio State and then it's the orange's turn again (OU, Oregon, Clemson) then the sugar (OU, Oregon, Clemson again and finally the Fiesta (UCF)

What am I missing?

And Brad Edwards on ESPN just said Bama OU in Sugar

BigJerm7
12/8/2013, 12:17 AM
Sugar vs Alabama......

soonercastor
12/8/2013, 12:17 AM
Orange Bowl would have to pick us over Ohio State. I don't see that happening, but I'm all for it.

There's 2 spots for Us, Clemson and Oregon.

ObiKaTony
12/8/2013, 12:18 AM
We don't want any part of Bama...with knight getting hurt we are at an extreme disadvantage; being that we are at a disadvatage anyway...

id be happy with a sc matchup or lsu. I've seen us beat Mizzou 10x over and id be happy never to play them again...

BigJerm7
12/8/2013, 12:18 AM
OSU vs LSU in cotton

BigJerm7
12/8/2013, 12:20 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

Eielson
12/8/2013, 12:30 AM
Orange gets the first pick correct?

So Bama is a lock for the Orange, then it's the Sugar and they probably take Ohio State and then it's the orange's turn again (OU, Oregon, Clemson) then the sugar (OU, Oregon, Clemson again and finally the Fiesta (UCF)

What am I missing?

And Brad Edwards on ESPN just said Bama OU in Sugar

Orange Bowl has ties to ACC in the same way the Fiesta Bowl has ties with the Big XII. The ACC Champ would go to the Orange Bowl, but since FSU is in the MNC, the Orange Bowl gets Clemson, and then first pick of automatic qualifiers. Bama has the same thing going on with the Sugar Bowl. Orange Bowl will pick between Ohio State, Oregon, and us, and I'd be shocked if they didn't go with OSU. Sugar Bowl then can pick us or Oregon, and I feel like it's going to be us due to how each team finished the season.

Sooner in the Bluegrass
12/8/2013, 12:33 AM
Here's what we know. The six AQ teams, assuming the MNC game is now Auburn vs. FSU:

UCF
Baylor-Fiesta
Michigan St.-Rose
Stanford-Rose
??? (ACC Champ)-Orange
??? (SEC Champ)-Sugar

At-large bids that may as well be automatic:

Ohio St.
Alabama

You've got to figure those two would be the teams that fill in spots vacated by AU and FSU. That leaves OU, Clemson(?), Oregon(?), maybe Louisville to fill in those last two spots for the matchups (other SEC teams are ineligible due to conference limits). We managed to lose our last game before any of those other teams (except Louisville) lost theirs, and the BCS rankings don't give the Cards much love despite having one fewer loss than us.

Clemson and Oregon were ahead of us, but they were idle while we beat a top 10 team on the road. Clemson's two losses are the only two that are against higher ranked teams. Our "bad" loss to Texass isn't looking quite as bad as it did (especially compared to UO's loss to Arizona), so . . . unless one of the Bowl committees just refuses to extend an invitation to us out of spite or preference for some other team (or we stay far enough off the pace in the BCS rankings), we've got a decent shot, I guess. Which I would not have thought yesterday. There's a chance that depending on order of preference, the Sugar might jump at the chance to have Bama vs. OSU in the "alternate universe" MNC game. Which would probably result in BU-UCF in the Fiesta, and then maybe OU-Clemson in the Orange? I could live with that.

landrun
12/8/2013, 12:45 AM
If tonight's projections are right, here is the Big XII bowls

Oklahoma/Alabama
Texas/Oregon
OSU/LSU
Baylor/UCF
KSU/Nebraska
Arizona St/Texas Tech

That's a pretty tough schedule!

Eielson
12/8/2013, 12:47 AM
Actually, I need to correct something I said. Clemson is NOT guaranteed the Orange Bowl. Having said that, if Clemson finishes in the top 14, the Orange Bowl can take them as the replacement for the ACC champ. There is concern that the Orange Bowl could get a better matchup without Clemson, but since the Orange Bowl has a 12 year contract with the ACC, it's unlikely that they would leave Clemson out.

Right now Clemson is sitting at #13. I could see us jumping them, and I don't think OSU will fall below them. Arizona is #11, but after getting blown out, I see them dropping below Clemson. Louisville won, but they'd have to jump from 19 to pass them, and UCF doesn't have to jump very far, but I doubt that a 17-13 win did that for them. There is a little more to this, but basically, Clemson is all but a lock to stay in the top 14, and if they're top 14, the Orange Bowl is all but a lock to pick them.

I'd be cool with playing Ohio State in the Orange, but it's highly unlikely.

Okie35
12/8/2013, 12:48 AM
Bama yikes

Eielson
12/8/2013, 12:50 AM
If tonight's projections are right, here is the Big XII bowls

Oklahoma/Alabama
Texas/Oregon
OSU/LSU
Baylor/UCF
KSU/Nebraska
Arizona St/Texas Tech

That's a pretty tough schedule!

Baylor wins the Big XII, and they get the easiest opponent of all 6 Big XII bowl teams. Just another reason why the Fiesta Bowl sucks.

dennis580
12/8/2013, 12:53 AM
Alabama is a double edged sword. A very scary team to play especially for our offense, but also the gold standard in getting respect. A win against Bama this year would gain us a great deal of respect, and increase our chances of getting into the playoffs next year.

Sooner in the Bluegrass
12/8/2013, 01:02 AM
If we get Bama in the same mood they were in when they lost to Utah in 2008 (or the kind of mood we were in during that run of back-to-back Fiesta losses to BSU and WVU), then maybe we could pull off the stunner. But we're far less likely to slip under their radar the way Utah did. And this Bama team is undoubtedly better. If we play like we have nothing to lose, kind of like we did against the pokes today, then maybe.

But on paper, it's not close. The only consolation would be that the same would hold for any opponent they might face, except for maybe FSU.

Edit: Having said that, we're in a better position opportunity-wise than Baylor. They win, and big whoop. If we win, we shock the world.

Sco
12/8/2013, 01:49 AM
If we get Bama in the same mood they were in when they lost to Utah in 2008 (or the kind of mood we were in during that run of back-to-back Fiesta losses to BSU and WVU), then maybe we could pull off the stunner. But we're far less likely to slip under their radar the way Utah did. And this Bama team is undoubtedly better. If we play like we have nothing to lose, kind of like we did against the pokes today, then maybe.

But on paper, it's not close. The only consolation would be that the same would hold for any opponent they might face, except for maybe FSU.

Edit: Having said that, we're in a better position opportunity-wise than Baylor. They win, and big whoop. If we win, we shock the world.

You figure the spread would be close to 10 for Alabama... Not a lot of people would be expecting OU to pull it off.

Sabanball
12/8/2013, 01:54 AM
Rest assured that we will not take your team lightly. A lot of mutual respect between our two programs.

soonercastor
12/8/2013, 08:55 AM
You figure the spread would be close to 10 for Alabama... Not a lot of people would be expecting OU to pull it off.

My guess would be 13.5-14.5

Okie35
12/8/2013, 09:13 AM
I think Bama would be an easier matchup than ppl think. I'd be relieved to face a non scrambling QB. It'll be close. There are talks about the orange bowl picking us up too since they have the first at large. Imagine josh vs bv.

Eielson
12/8/2013, 01:59 PM
Clemson stayed put at 11 in the Coaches poll. We jumped them, but OSU fell below them. That's a pretty big blow to any chance of having Clemson not be top 14 in the final BCS poll.