PDA

View Full Version : Was That Sooner Magic?

cherokeebrewer
12/7/2013, 05:15 PM
Sure felt like it to me...

Along with some Sooner players who fought their guts out and refused to lose today.

lexsooner
12/7/2013, 05:22 PM
Yes, it was, complete with the requisite Stoops fake fg gamble. Say what you want about the past couple of seasons, but the down to the wire comeback wins over W.V. and OSU last season and this OSU game were classic.

ouduckhunter
12/7/2013, 05:23 PM
Or was it trickery that actually tricked them?? Either way, I'll take it!! Boomer!

jiminy
12/7/2013, 05:24 PM
3 parts Sooner Magic, 1 part Poke Choke

soonertodd
12/7/2013, 05:26 PM
Yes it was.and as sweet as the other wins were

Therealsouthsider
12/7/2013, 05:26 PM
...2 parts Aggy choke, 1 part Sooner magic, 1 part birthright

ss

cherokeebrewer
12/8/2013, 12:26 PM
Given all the circumstances...game in Stillwater, pokes explosive offense & offensive fanbase, OU riddled with injuries, not many media types or fans giving OU more than a slight chance to win and frankly a lot of our own fans thought we would lose big...This was one of the most satisfying wins in a long long time for me. The Sooners played with heart and grit, then there was...Sooner Magic

stoopified
12/8/2013, 12:35 PM
For most of Bob's career , Sooner Magic was lacking.In all our big games it seems we would either win big or lose big but Sooner Magic is alive and well these days .Not only this game but last year's Bedlam and WV games.

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2013, 12:42 PM
For most of Bob's career , Sooner Magic was lacking.In all our big games it seems we would either win big or lose big but Sooner Magic is alive and well these days .Not only this game but last year's Bedlam and WV games.

Indeed. Yesterday was the classic example of "hanging around" and staying in the game so that you still have a chance to win in the 4th quarter. I'd much prefer being in the position that it's the other team trying to hang with us, but this attitude is needed when we have an elite team trying to avoid the dreaded upset. Hopefully, next year.

MichiganSooner
12/8/2013, 01:40 PM
Blake in his own endzone, juggling the snap, and the ball bounces right back up into his grasp-yes, it was Sooner Magic and on the same play, going from possible disaster to a long pass completion-yes, it was Sooner Magic.

Jacie
12/8/2013, 02:51 PM
There was some Sooner Magic, recovering that fumble was an example but there were other elements as well.

It has been said, justifiably so in some games, that Bob Stoops has gone conservative. But this time, he took a chance for the big score rather than play the percentages on the fake FG. That one was all Bob earning back his mojo as a gambler.

Then there was that other thing that happened, one that old timers recognize from having seen it many times in the storied past of this series, the Poke Choke.

If you don't believe in such things consider, a holding call negating a 75-yard run for a TD. No magic there, just the lOSUr's shooting themselves in the foot with one of Pistol Pete's paper mache pistols.

As for that non-INT, not sure what to label that play. The ball was underthrown and Gilbert did come down with it only to have it spin out of his hands like the ball still had momentum from the pass. Watching the live shot I said that was it over for OU but two officials raced in and declared it incomplete. And it wasn't SM but good coaching that OU was able to line up and snap the ball before anyone on the poke staff could call for a review (Poke conspiracy theorists no doubt will point to the zebras putting the ball in play quickly instead of casually as evidence of this).

Other plays that might be called SM but I say are examples of this team's character, Jalen Saunders punt return TD. That one wasn't magic, heck, he merely did what he has done since coming to Norman (Now that was the magic!) The goal line stand? Nothing magical about that series, the Sooner D has been showing up all year.

In the end, this game was a combination of many things but don't say OU beat em because of some mystique, OUr guys whupped em where and when it counted.