PDA

View Full Version : All We Will Hear From the Aggies Is It Was An Interception

lexsooner
12/7/2013, 03:49 PM
But the announcer agreed it was incomplete because he had it when on top of our guy but it popped out when he hit the ground.

On another note, Porcupine Hair and his staff and players have to be the whiniest, most overly demonstrative group I have ever seen. No matter how obvious a play was, they gestured like mad for holding, out of bounds, ball is short, interference, etc. Not just a few of them, but all of them, in a useless, puke orange group demonstration. Hunicutt was two yards in the end zone and the aggie players were waving their arms like it was not a td.

Big Game Bob is Back!

Peeb
12/7/2013, 03:54 PM
It apparently was not.

Good game- happy for Blake Bell especially. Been a big fan of his for some time.

BTW, right before the fake field goal- now THAT was a bad call. Clearly a TD.

Congrats.

Aries
12/7/2013, 03:56 PM
Who was that, Gilbert? Tell them to ask him about it. He never looked for a second like he thought it was an int.

lexsooner
12/7/2013, 03:57 PM
It apparently was not.

Good game- happy for Blake Bell especially. Been a big fan of his for some time.

Congrats.

Thanks. You're a good sport.

Okie35
12/7/2013, 03:57 PM
It wasn't he was bobbling it until the ground

thecrimsoncrusader
12/7/2013, 03:59 PM
That was not an interception just like Trey Metoyer's catch wasn't a catch against LA-Monroe or West Virginia or whichever game it was. You have to complete the entire motion of the catch. It's a rule.

Peeb
It wasn't he was bobbling it until the ground
This- plus the replay did not indisputably say otherwise.

If reviewed, the call would not have changed- but it was brilliant coaching by the OU offense to get in a quick snap to stop the possibility.

SoCalBigRed
Only response should be, "scoreboard".

thecrimsoncrusader
12/7/2013, 04:00 PM
And in the end, all Gilbert had to do was hang onto the football until it was ruled an interception. He's a senior and should know better. Scoreboard.

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2013, 04:00 PM
I thought Gundy should have challenged that non-INT. Probably would have lost the challenge given how the booth reviewed those spots on Saunders receptions, but important enough to be worth it. Props to our guys for going hurry up on the next play, just in case.

soonertodd
12/7/2013, 04:02 PM
He never had full control all the way through. The ground cant cause a fumble but it can cause an incomplete pass also,

Who cares what they say, 33-24 baby!!

Okie35
12/7/2013, 04:04 PM
All that aside I'm glad Gilbert is gone he's a damn good DB lol probably a late first/2nd rounder

Therealsouthsider
12/7/2013, 04:04 PM
...it's always something, been that way for decades

ss

BB37
12/7/2013, 04:07 PM
I still vividly remember the clip on the Johnny Rodgers PR in the '71 GOTC. It wasn't called, so it's history, just like this game.

aurorasooner
12/7/2013, 04:10 PM
I'm sort of mixed on my opinion about the pick. I've seen it time and time again where the receiver does the same thing and doesn't maintain possession completely thru the catch. I remember something similar when we played the whorns several years ago and picked them in the EZ, but it was ruled incomplete.
I don't agree with the rule, but it is the rule. period, end of story, and we've been burned by it just as many times as it's helped us out.

MsProudSooner
12/7/2013, 04:15 PM
I read elsewhere that Gundy said it was the correct call so that will be my reply if anyone says anything about it.

Edmond Sooner
12/7/2013, 04:16 PM
That's the party line over at Orange Power - they're in full Chokie State meltdown mode.

BB37
12/7/2013, 04:26 PM
Even their own ex-QB, Jim Traber, is saying it was NOT in INT. Says there are several other plays that aggy can argue better than the non-INT.

Rogue
12/7/2013, 04:27 PM
It looked like an INT to me. It's just hard to think the Sooners actually benefit from a call, or noncall, like this. Oregon game was the worst officiating ever. This game was not well managed by the stripes. It's a W, and I'll take it. Still don't know who our QB is.

colleyvillesooner
Maybe Gundy should have called a TO to review it then, eh pokes?

soonertodd
I'm sort of mixed on my opinion about the pick. I've seen it time and time again where the receiver does the same thing and doesn't maintain possession completely thru the catch. I remember something similar when we played the whorns several years ago and picked them in the EZ, but it was ruled incomplete.
I don't agree with the rule, but it is the rule. period, end of story, and we've been burned by it just as many times as it's helped us out.

If you're talking about the "tie" game in 84 it was a catch by Stanberry,the blind ref called him out of bounds. He clearly lands in bounds though.if there had been a review back then you could give Switzer another win and Bob's win today would have broken the Kings record

aurorasooner
12/7/2013, 04:38 PM
If you're talking about the "tie" game in 84 it was a catch by Stanberry,the blind ref called him out of bounds. He clearly lands in bounds though.if there had been a review back then you could give Switzer another win and Bob's win today would have broken the Kings record No not talking about the 84 Joe Sisco repeat.
It happened when a BU LB of ours picked the whorns in the EZ, several years ago. ABC went to an immediate commercial, and then when the game resumed, they were kicking a FG. I was thinking WTF. Then they finally replayed the pick, and Mussberger got into it with his mush and confused the situation even more.

soonergirlNeugene
12/7/2013, 04:51 PM
Anybody have a replay of this? I was on a drink run when this happened.

Sooners78
12/7/2013, 04:55 PM
I personally thought it was an int. but, we got screwed out of 2 first downs on terrible spots, so even Steven.

8timechamps
12/7/2013, 04:58 PM
When it happened live, I thought it was a pick (i didn't realize the ball came out until I came back in the room, as I had stormed out...thinking it was over). After the replay, it was the correct call.

I'm not the kind of person that thinks every non-call should have been a call, or every call against the Sooners is "bad". However, there were some pretty bad calls in this game. The INT wasn't one of them.

The two spot replays were awful. I don't understand how they can review those and stand by the call.

LRoss
12/7/2013, 04:59 PM
Anybody who's watching/cheering/playing/etc to shut up the "other guy" or for "respect" or anything else other than to win is playing a loser game.

People will say crap. Of course they will.

Who cares? Enjoy the win.

aurorasooner
12/7/2013, 05:01 PM
I personally thought it was an int. but, we got screwed out of 2 first downs on terrible spots, so even Steven. Geez, those spots by the linesman were terrible. That guy needs to go to Lenscrafters and so does the replay official before they drive to the airport. Just pitiful, for a replay official to not get those right from a replay review. The Jalen Saunders one (where he argued) was just ridiculous and wasn't even close to where it was marked.

OU_Sooners75
12/7/2013, 05:09 PM
Even their own ex-QB, Jim Traber, is saying it was NOT in INT. Says there are several other plays that aggy can argue better than the non-INT.

Traber played baseball not football

fadada1
12/7/2013, 05:11 PM
Geez, those spots by the linesman were terrible. That guy needs to go to Lenscrafters and so does the replay official before they drive to the airport. Just pitiful, for a replay official to not get those right from a replay review. The Jalen Saunders one (where he argued) was just ridiculous and wasn't even close to where it was marked.
Blind in one eye, can't see out of the other.

Prodigal
12/7/2013, 05:12 PM
I thought it was an interception, even knowing the rule. Every angle except one showed him in control on his back on the ground with the ball not moving before it came out just afterward. But then there was that one replay that showed it might have been moving the entire time so it might not have been overturned anyway. All in all I thought it was an interception, just like I thought OSU got a couple of other really terrible calls against them. On the other side, OU got a couple of terrible spots at crucial times, but certainly nothing like the breaks OU got.

Soonerjeepman
12/7/2013, 05:29 PM
I personally thought it was an int. but, we got screwed out of 2 first downs on terrible spots, so even Steven.

yup

SoonerorLater
12/7/2013, 05:34 PM

I believe Traber played both at OSU.

picasso
12/7/2013, 05:35 PM

Traber started at QB against us in '81 or '82.

bluedogok
12/7/2013, 05:35 PM
He played both sports.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okst/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/08mediaguide-sectionA.pdf

Jim Traber
First Baseman, 1980-82
Columbia, Md.
Class of 1992

Traber hit a school and Big Eight record 26 doubles in 1981. He led the team with a .396 batting average and had 69 RBI. Notched another school-record with 84 base hits and led the team in home runs with 11. In 1982 he hit .378 to lead the team in batting average and base hits with 85. Traber collected a school- record 75 RBIs with 16 doubles, two triples and 14 home runs.

He was named first-team All-Big Eight by the league coaches in 1981 and was also the starting quarterback on the Cowboy football team the same year.

Traber hit .415 as a freshman in 1980 in 25 games. He had two doubles and four home runs along with 15 RBI. He also walked six times, stole three bases and scored six runs. In 1982 Traber was drafted in the 21st round of the 1982 amateur draft by Baltimore and played in the major leagues for the Orioles from 1986 to 1989. He was a member of the
Kintetsu Buffaloes of the Japanese Professional Baseball League from 1990 to 1991 and played for Monterrey of the Mexican League in 1993.

Traber is currently a sportscaster in Oklahoma City.

soonertodd
12/7/2013, 05:48 PM

80 for sure.I was there,bout all he did that day was run for his life

Sooners78
12/7/2013, 05:50 PM

He played both. Started at qb in 82, and he blew, which makes it a real joke anytime he criticizes a qb. His 2002 rant about hybl after the big 12 championship comes to mind.

Sooners78
12/7/2013, 05:52 PM
80 for sure.I was there,bout all he did that day was run for his life

I think you're right, it was 80. 82 may have been hilger.

EatLeadCommie
12/7/2013, 05:53 PM
If you're talking about the "tie" game in 84 it was a catch by Stanberry,the blind ref called him out of bounds. He clearly lands in bounds though.if there had been a review back then you could give Switzer another win and Bob's win today would have broken the Kings record

He's talking about 2008 when McCoy threw a pick in the EZ. Refs ruled it incomplete and they kicked a FG to take their first lead. I still think that one was an INT. Dude (I forgot his name) took like 3-4 steps before it came out when he was tackled in the EZ. The tackle did start after he took about 1-2 steps, IIRC.

TFSooner
12/7/2013, 06:27 PM

He's talking about 2008 when McCoy threw a pick in the EZ. Refs ruled it incomplete and they kicked a FG to take their first lead. I still think that one was an INT. Dude (I forgot his name) took like 3-4 steps before it came out when he was tackled in the EZ. The tackle did start after he took about 1-2 steps, IIRC.

Didn't he roll on his back after the int but then lost control during the roll and wound up dropping it?

olevetonahill
12/7/2013, 06:35 PM
This- plus the replay did not indisputably say otherwise.

If reviewed, the call would not have changed- but it was brilliant coaching by the OU offense to get in a quick snap to stop the possibility.

He was on his Back On top of the receiver when the Ball was stripped. He didnt take it to the ground with control.

aurorasooner
12/7/2013, 06:44 PM
He played both. Started at qb in 82, and he blew, which makes it a real joke anytime he criticizes a qb. His 2002 rant about hybl after the big 12 championship comes to mind.What little I paid any attention to him on the radio and the way he blows, you would think he was a 2 time All-American in both sports. About the only thing I remember is that Hybl confrontation, where Nate totally Nolan Ryaned him and had him back-peddling faster than Michael Jackson. That was funny.
You can say all you want to about Nate as a QB, but he was one tough SOB. I watched that OU/KSU game back a couple of weeks ago, and wondered how many concussions he got, and he just came back for more. In today's game he would've been ruled out by the trainers in the 1st quarter.

EatLeadCommie
12/7/2013, 07:44 PM
There was no controversy over that "interception" at all. At all.

SoCalBigRed
12/7/2013, 08:18 PM
When it happened live, I thought it was a pick (i didn't realize the ball came out until I came back in the room, as I had stormed out...thinking it was over). After the replay, it was the correct call.

I'm not the kind of person that thinks every non-call should have been a call, or every call against the Sooners is "bad". However, there were some pretty bad calls in this game. The INT wasn't one of them.

The two spot replays were awful. I don't understand how they can review those and stand by the call.

You know, my mom called me a couple hours after the game and I brought up the phantom INT, "scoreboard"... and without me saying anything else, she says... "Yeah, but what about those two HORRIBLE spots!?"

Hahahaha... GMTA, I guess. :D

aurorasooner
12/7/2013, 08:43 PM
Just went over to several team's boards who are not connected with the Big 12-4+2 and who had an OU/OSU game thread. There was not much on the pick except some of the usual Sooner haters mostly Missouri goobers . However, those 2 missed spots by that Linesman got big time posts from various fans from different parts of the country and a lot of them.
Now I can see how the linesman perhaps missed one obvious spot because of being out of position, etc, but not 2, and that lame replay official missing both is just incompetence or blatant crooked favoritism and the conference shouldn't allow that blind replay official near the replay booth again, imo.

picasso
12/7/2013, 08:51 PM
Was not an INT.

tulsaoilerfan
12/7/2013, 08:56 PM
Do people just not understand the rule? You have to maintain possession when you hit the ground or it's incomplete; it was the correct call

picasso
12/7/2013, 09:09 PM
Yes, he landed first on Bester which is not the ground!

8timechamps
12/7/2013, 09:12 PM
Just went over to several team's boards who are not connected with the Big 12-4+2 and who had an OU/OSU game thread. There was not much on the pick except some of the usual Sooner haters mostly Missouri goobers . However, those 2 missed spots by that Linesman got big time posts from various fans from different parts of the country and a lot of them.
Now I can see how the linesman perhaps missed one obvious spot because of being out of position, etc, but not 2, and that lame replay official missing both is just incompetence or blatant crooked favoritism and the conference shouldn't allow that blind replay official near the replay booth again, imo.

I was watching the MAC Championship last night (I know, I know), and there was a similar situation in that game (bad spot that was reviewed and not overturned). I must not know the particulars of the rules, because it seems pretty obvious if you can tell on the replay that the spot is wrong, it should be correctable.

aurorasooner
12/7/2013, 09:22 PM
I was watching the MAC Championship last night (I know, I know), and there was a similar situation in that game (bad spot that was reviewed and not overturned). I must not know the particulars of the rules, because it seems pretty obvious if you can tell on the replay that the spot is wrong, it should be correctable. Sort of makes you wonder if there's a bias from some of these replay officials to uphold the call on the field to protect some of these on-the-field zebras and not overturn a judgement spot even if they should.
I dunno maybe these replay officials are watching the replays on old analog tube 13 inch TVs with only an RF input and these geezers really can't tell.

oudivesherpa
12/7/2013, 09:38 PM
I still vividly remember the clip on the Johnny Rodgers PR in the '71 GOTC. It wasn't called, so it's history, just like this game.

Yeah, the clip still bothers me today, I was in section 31' row 23' it happened right in front of me--funny how it's over 40 years andi still remember the clip.
Later that year we played Auburn in the Sugar Bowl and my travel agent put us into a Auburn fan hotel. We took a Charter bus to the game and all their drunk fans kept yelling War Eagle, we were kicking Auburns butt by 30 at half time we went back to the bus to get some more refreshments and the entire bus was filled with long faced Auburn fans. One wise *** asked me why we went back to the bus and I replied that we got our limit on War Eagles!

SoonerDomiNation
12/7/2013, 09:42 PM
All I've heard from them bsstards for 6 weeks is that their the best team in the state...lmao wtfe

I Am Right
12/7/2013, 09:45 PM
It apparently was not.

Congrats.

Whine, Whine

I Am Right
12/7/2013, 09:46 PM
We are 10 and 1 against the poke chokes and that is when they have their best teams ever.

Piware
12/7/2013, 10:04 PM
The only people who think this was an INT are Pukes.

Prodigal
12/7/2013, 10:09 PM
Here is what happened:

He caught the ball and fell backwards onto Bester. He maintained possession bouncing off of Bester and landed on the ground. At the exact moment he hit the ground he attempted to use his right hand to bring the ball into his body. At the same time Bester scraped the top of his right arm causing his right hand to come off the ball and the ball started coming loose at the exact moment his body touched the ground.

Unfortunately for OSU he acted like he didn't catch it and the refs called it incomplete. Based on the rest of the came replays, no matter what the refs called on that one it would have stood up on replay.

This is like when TTech scored on us a few years back. Yeah, we got screwed by the refs like OSU did in this game, but the TD run against us was a good call like the non-interception was in this one. OSU fans can focus on the non-blocks in the backs, non- grounding calls, non-sideline penalty, and other critical ones that went against them, just like OU fans will focus on the two bad spots.

Aries
12/7/2013, 10:20 PM
Here is an article that includes a section of the rule book defining the rule.

http://www.news9.com/story/24163029/the-interception-that-wasnt-breaking-down-the-ncaa-rule-that-impacted-bedlam

In the 2013 NCAA Rule book, the organization offered clarification in Section E, Article 3, which discusses editorial changes, to what it considers to be an interception and recovery.

The following won't be fun to read if you bleed orange.

"a. To catch a ball means that a player:

1. secures control of a live ball in flight with his hands or arms before the ball touches the ground, and

2. touches the ground in bounds with any part of his body, and then

3. maintains control of the ball long enough to enable him to perform an act common to the game, i.e., long enough to pitch or hand the ball, advance it, avoid or ward off an opponent, etc., and

4. satisfies paragraphs b,c, and d below.

b. if a player goes to the ground in the act of catching (with or without contact by an opponent) he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone … if he loses control of the ball which then touches the ground before he regains control, it is not a catch."

c. If the player loses control of the ball while simultaneously touching the ground with any part of his body, or if there is doubt that the acts were simultaneous, it is not a catch. If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of possession; he must lose control of the ball in order for there to be a loss of possession."

Later on the rule book announces the inevitable: "When in question the catch, recovery or interception is not completed."

Peeb
12/7/2013, 10:41 PM
Whine, Whine

Ha ha! No worries. You got back the stolen TD on the very next play (an outstanding fake FG that totally caught us napping).

Again- congrats on a great win.

tycat947
12/7/2013, 10:52 PM

Exactly! And we were in Poke territory both times, just on the edge of field goal tries. Terrible spots, both times!

tycat947
12/7/2013, 10:54 PM

If I remember correctly, he threw 3 or 4 interceptions in Norman. Was classic!

aurorasooner
12/7/2013, 11:01 PM
Just out of curiosity wth kind of rainbow pass was that from Bell. I can't believe he would throw a jump ball that late in the game against their best defender. Did he get his arm hit or did he have a DL around his legs when he threw it?
Whew, Weird kind of play all the way around.
If it would've been actually picked and if our coaching staff's decision not to play K. Ford anymore is any indication, then I doubt if B. Bell would even see the field again, unless our other QBs are injured.