PDA

View Full Version : Fastest car you ever drove?

Jacie
12/5/2013, 02:07 PM
The Paul Walker death got me thinking about this one.

I am talking about cars you drove on the street, not any kind of race car.

The fastest cars I have ever owned were a couple of 280Z's, a 76 and a 78. The 78 I used to drive back and forth between OKC and Dallas and it purred while making that run in less than 3 hours, speed between 90 and 100 mph. I was always leery of being stopped by Texas and Oklahoma state police because I didn't use a radar detector, taking care to slowdown just outside of Denton, near the Red River on the Texas side and for the OHP just south of the Arbuckle Mountain stretch. I never did try to find out how fast it would top out at though, the speedometer went to 140 but I assumed that was for looks (the 76's speedometer went to 160).

My older brother had a 71 Cutlass 442, a car that was way too easy to burn the tires from a standing start (in my defense, I was a new driver). Since it was his pride and joy, I never intentionally exceeded the speed limit in that car but from the power evident in the accelerator the potential to go way too fast was there.

olevetonahill
12/5/2013, 02:16 PM
Fastest CAR or the fastest I ever drove one?

KantoSooner
12/5/2013, 03:01 PM
A buddy's '67 GTO. He was a high school gearhead and you could practically eat off of the utterly bored out, blueprinted engine. It would do somewhere north of 140. I never had the stones to push it past 115 as the steering was rather ... 'light' ...at that point.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/5/2013, 03:06 PM
NOt sure which one was the fastest, but the 1993 Nissan 300zx twin turbo was definitely the most fun.

Boomer.....
12/5/2013, 03:09 PM
I rode in my buddies Camaro SS doing 160+mph down I-35.

mojorisen2014
12/5/2013, 03:27 PM
Mark VIII

Turd_Ferguson
12/5/2013, 05:54 PM
1985 Mustang LS 5.0, 5 speed convertible. it blowed my hairs back...

hawaii 5-0
12/5/2013, 06:34 PM
Probably 115 mph in my '85 Celica somewhere in Arizona as I was taking my car to put it on the boat in Cali when I moved to Hawaii.

Open Road.

5-0

8timechamps
12/5/2013, 06:44 PM
When I was in school, I worked for a car dealership in OKC, and I would sometimes pick up/drop off cars to customers. I drove from OKC to Witchita and dropped off an Infinity Q45 (back in the early 90's), and picked up a Porsche 911. Somewhere between Salina and the OKC border, I got it to about 140. Then I panicked, and slowed way down. That's the fastest car I've ever driven, and that thing had some power.

8timechamps
12/5/2013, 06:46 PM
A buddy's '67 GTO. He was a high school gearhead and you could practically eat off of the utterly bored out, blueprinted engine. It would do somewhere north of 140. I never had the stones to push it past 115 as the steering was rather ... 'light' ...at that point.

A really good friend of mine in high school rebuilt a 67 goat with his dad. We would cruise in that thing, and one Friday afternoon, something popped and we could only go in reverse. We drove probably 15 miles home, in reverse. The power that car had , when the transmission was working, would push you back into the seat.

olevetonahill
12/5/2013, 09:58 PM
When I was in school, I worked for a car dealership in OKC, and I would sometimes pick up/drop off cars to customers. I drove from OKC to Witchita and dropped off an Infinity Q45 (back in the early 90's), and picked up a Porsche 911. Somewhere between Salina and the OKC border, I got it to about 140. Then I panicked, and slowed way down. That's the fastest car I've ever driven, and that thing had some power.

I drove My friends 911 When he told me to open it Up out on the Interstate I did , Made my nuts shrink then after a Few they swelled so Big I couldnt walk later One Balsey Car to drive.

I was in my Folks 60 Tbird that has a 140 on the speedO. was doing 115 when had a Blow out on the right rear. That car handled like a dream. I let off the gas, coasted to a stop. Changed tires and we were back on the road. Still have that ride.

rock on sooner
12/6/2013, 11:12 AM
I drove My friends 911 When he told me to open it Up out on the Interstate I did , Made my nuts shrink then after a Few they swelled so Big I couldnt walk later One Balsey Car to drive.

I was in my Folks 60 Tbird that has a 140 on the speedO. was doing 115 when had a Blow out on the right rear. That car handled like a dream. I let off the gas, coasted to a stop. Changed tires and we were back on the road. Still have that ride.

Betcher glad the blow out was on the right REAR instead of the right
FRONT....

yermom
12/6/2013, 04:24 PM
my Subaru is the fastest thing i've driven. was doing around 150 in NM once... still had some left. i was a little spooked, so i slowed down. got radared at 92. felt like i was crawling.

unlike the Porsche Paul Walker was in, that thing with the DCCD AWD, is VERY forgiving

Turd_Ferguson
12/6/2013, 04:41 PM
my Subaru is the fastest thing i've driven. was doing around 150 in NM once... still had some left. i was a little spooked, so i slowed down. got radared at 92. felt like i was crawling.

unlike the Porsche Paul Walker was in, that thing with the DCCD AWD, is VERY forgiving

I bet it wouldn't go nowhere near as fast if you didn't have the fart can on it...

stoops the eternal pimp
12/6/2013, 04:43 PM
I don't know about cars, but my wife always says I am way too fast.

SicEmBaylor
12/6/2013, 05:09 PM
It might have been my dad's old Dodge Dakota.....it had a V8 engine inside a tin can and damned would that thing haul ***.

JLEW1818
12/7/2013, 08:32 AM

She told me you had that problem, too quick

King Crimson
12/7/2013, 09:14 AM
77 Porsche 911. buddy of mine's dad kept it in his garage. mint condition. going 100 in easy 3rd gear. i got a little weirded out after that because the car seemed like it was ready to keep going. didn't feel pressed.

olevetonahill
12/7/2013, 09:46 AM
77 Porsche 911. buddy of mine's dad kept it in his garage. mint condition. going 100 in easy 3rd gear. i got a little weirded out after that because the car seemed like it was ready to keep going. didn't feel pressed.

Yea about a 120 was when My Gonads disappeared, Kicked it on up and it handled like a dream , then They came back Struttin :cocksure:

okiewaker
12/7/2013, 10:24 AM
Prolly a ragged out 1995 Mustang Cobra I owned a few years ago. Got it to 115 rather easily but let off because of my inability to deal with all the vibration. I thot the dang thing was coming apart.

KantoSooner
12/9/2013, 10:40 AM

Ah, the eternal debate. Seems like you were probably going exactly the right speed for the conditions.

C&CDean
12/9/2013, 12:19 PM
I'm pretty fortunate in my current incarnation/employment to be able to drive lots and lots of cars and trucks. In the past 2+ years I've driven Vipers, Z06 Corvettes, Shelby Mustangs, a Cobra Jet, CTS-V Cadillacs, and several modified vehicles.

The quickest from 0 to speed was probably the Cobra Jet (you can order one from Ford, but they're not even street legal). I drove a Hennessey Viper (1,100 HP) that was scarier than crap (keeping it in a straight line took some serious driving skillz) and a Cadillac V-1000 (modified by Hennessey to put out 1,000 HP) that was awesome as hell. I got to drive a Nissan GTR Track model at Hennessey in Houston but they didn't let me get into it so I can't really say how it ran.

My favorite though is the stock 2012 Shelby. It puts out about 560-something HP, and you can actually hook it up and go. The 2013 puts out 650+ HP but it's very hard to get the HP to the ground.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I've driven Toby Keith's blue Ford GT a few times. Delivered it to his crib after service and stuff like that. The most uncomfortable thing I've sat in (I have no clue how he gets his big *** into it), but an awesome little rocket and fun at gas stations and stuff.

sooneron
12/10/2013, 06:57 PM
512 Berlinetta Boxer and then an 09 911 GT3.

8timechamps
12/10/2013, 07:11 PM
I'm pretty fortunate in my current incarnation/employment to be able to drive lots and lots of cars and trucks. In the past 2+ years I've driven Vipers, Z06 Corvettes, Shelby Mustangs, a Cobra Jet, CTS-V Cadillacs, and several modified vehicles.

The quickest from 0 to speed was probably the Cobra Jet (you can order one from Ford, but they're not even street legal). I drove a Hennessey Viper (1,100 HP) that was scarier than crap (keeping it in a straight line took some serious driving skillz) and a Cadillac V-1000 (modified by Hennessey to put out 1,000 HP) that was awesome as hell. I got to drive a Nissan GTR Track model at Hennessey in Houston but they didn't let me get into it so I can't really say how it ran.

My favorite though is the stock 2012 Shelby. It puts out about 560-something HP, and you can actually hook it up and go. The 2013 puts out 650+ HP but it's very hard to get the HP to the ground.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I've driven Toby Keith's blue Ford GT a few times. Delivered it to his crib after service and stuff like that. The most uncomfortable thing I've sat in (I have no clue how he gets his big *** into it), but an awesome little rocket and fun at gas stations and stuff.

I'm seriously considering the Corvette Z07. Thoughts??

pphilfran
12/11/2013, 06:26 PM
The Paul Walker death got me thinking about this one.

I am talking about cars you drove on the street, not any kind of race car.

The fastest cars I have ever owned were a couple of 280Z's, a 76 and a 78. The 78 I used to drive back and forth between OKC and Dallas and it purred while making that run in less than 3 hours, speed between 90 and 100 mph. I was always leery of being stopped by Texas and Oklahoma state police because I didn't use a radar detector, taking care to slowdown just outside of Denton, near the Red River on the Texas side and for the OHP just south of the Arbuckle Mountain stretch. I never did try to find out how fast it would top out at though, the speedometer went to 140 but I assumed that was for looks (the 76's speedometer went to 160).

My older brother had a 71 Cutlass 442, a car that was way too easy to burn the tires from a standing start (in my defense, I was a new driver). Since it was his pride and joy, I never intentionally exceeded the speed limit in that car but from the power evident in the accelerator the potential to go way too fast was there.

I had a 78 Z....fun car...

Fasted I have ever driven was my 911 at 142 indicated....I did do a PCA drivers ed course at the Memphis Motorsports Park and spun at nearly 100.... :)

Fastest car I have ever been in was a test mule Viper...I don't know how fast we were going but we got there damn fast....

C&CDean
12/11/2013, 06:31 PM
I'm seriously considering the Corvette Z07. Thoughts??

It's a Chevy, so I don't have much to say about them. Actually, I like the ZO6, but haven't had a chance to drive one. I've driven a Callaway Vette - but the POS had an automatic. Who puts an automatic in a muscle/sports car?

Anyhow, you really can't go wrong with a late-model vette - other than the fact Obama is selling it to you, and for that reason alone, I ain't buying a GM product.

Jerk
12/11/2013, 07:05 PM
My dad has a 2011 ZR1. If he let's me drive it, that will be the one.

pphilfran
12/11/2013, 09:01 PM
It's a Chevy, so I don't have much to say about them. Actually, I like the ZO6, but haven't had a chance to drive one. I've driven a Callaway Vette - but the POS had an automatic. Who puts an automatic in a muscle/sports car?

Anyhow, you really can't go wrong with a late-model vette - other than the fact Obama is selling it to you, and for that reason alone, I ain't buying a GM product.

If I am not mistaken all of the government shares have been sold.....

SicEmBaylor
12/11/2013, 09:19 PM
If I am not mistaken all of the government shares have been sold.....

As of a few days ago, yes....and at a $10.5 billion dollar loss.

Government doing its usual crackerjack job of....well....everything that doesn't involve killing people.

BajaOklahoma
12/12/2013, 10:52 PM
1980 280Z 2+2 got it over 100
2005 Mustang GT, Frequently 90 between DFW and OKC

My brother has let my older son drive Nissan GTR and his Aston Martion DBS. He won't tell me how fast he was going. My brother hasn't gotten a ticket in either, as the cops just want to look it over and do a test drive. lol He won't let me drive it.

rock on sooner
12/13/2013, 11:56 AM
Years ago, when I got out of the service, I drove a '58 Pontiac
that had the biggest engine offered. I drove it from OK to Washington
state. I went due north to N. Dak and turned left and into Montana.
The speed limit posted was "Reasonable and Prudent" That old
Pontiac handled 100 + mph for an extended period of drive time
in Big Sky country. Got through the state rather quickly.

stoopified
12/17/2013, 07:57 AM
Police car,130 mph.

BermudaSooner
12/17/2013, 11:38 AM
My GTR -- modded to 600 HP to the wheels, 685 of torque. 0-60 in about 2.5 seconds, low 10 second quarter mile car. It will do 200, but haven't had it up that fast--but have had it pretty fast at Hallet Raceway, Eagles Canyon Raceway, and Circuit of the Americas.

I've driven some pretty fast cars, but nothing as fast as the GTR.

Jammin'
12/17/2013, 11:40 AM
87 Honda crx. I got it up to 120 on the way to woodward once.