PDA

View Full Version : Bedlam Memories ... the Ice Bowl

Mac94
12/5/2013, 12:10 PM
Sure this has been posted before but it's OU-OSU week and the forcast for Stillwater is less than tropical ... almost (but hopefully not quite) as cold as that infamous night game several decades ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVXFS6nzJrU

Any brave survivors from that cold night? I was supposed to be there ... dad had tickets ... but the road conditions between Tulsa and Stillwater were rather hazardous so watched it on TV instead. Any favorite ice bowl memories or other OU-OSU memories?

Mac94
12/5/2013, 12:25 PM
My favorite in person was 1984. I was in High School and was with my dad that weekend. Game was in Norman, last of the regular season, and was playing for a trip to the Orange Bowl. Oklahoma St came into the game 9-1 while OU was 8-1-1 (%^&$@ refs in Dallas) so it was expected to be a heard fought game. Oklahoma would prevail though 24-14 and head on to Miami and I remember one of my favorite college football memories ... after the Sooners last score to ice the game the glorious rain of oranges onto the field in celebration ... thousands of them. It was a wonderful sight to behold.

Jacie
12/5/2013, 12:48 PM
The guy behind me yelled out the OSU fans were throwing gators on the field, that being the destination of the loser . . .

swardboy
12/5/2013, 12:59 PM
The "let 'er rip" game was a particularly fine beat down experience. Bless Les' lil heart.

badger
12/5/2013, 01:01 PM
The guy behind me yelled out the OSU fans were throwing gators on the field, that being the destination of the loser . . .

That sounds lovely.

I know a few roses got snapped by Pokies after the 2001 stunner, and a few field rushing Pokies tried to dump Tostitos bags in our faces in 2002 (joke's on them --- we weren't going to the title game anyway and the Rose Bowl took us). They were probably ready to toss oranges in 2004, if it weren't for their kicker, tee hee

Wishboned
12/5/2013, 01:03 PM
1983 In Stillwater. Down 20-3 in the 4th and I was surrounded by OSU fans talking about rushing the field. Sooner Magic happens, it's 21-20 and all I hear is OSU fans talking about rushing home.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/5/2013, 02:54 PM
The last OU-OSU game I attended in person was the 12-0 ('94 I think) debacle. Yuck! I was at the '84 game that Mac mentioned. Always good times putting aggie in their place. The '88 "Brent Parker" game was epic. Barry Sanders was a beast, but aggie is as aggie does.

cvsooner
12/5/2013, 03:04 PM
The last OU-OSewe game I attended in person was 1976 in Norman. Good guys lost. It was awful.

Prior to that: 1974--Li'l Joe Washington fakes a punter out of his shoes and jockstrap and we win big. It was a cold mutha day otherwise....on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Had to return to campus early to see it.

picasso
12/5/2013, 04:04 PM
The Ice Bowl was fun. Watched it at a hs teammate's house on the rez in osage county.
Boz pulling the fb's legs on the gang tackle!

REDREX
12/5/2013, 04:37 PM
I was there----The game was supposed to be played in the afternoon when the weather was fine----It was a mess at game time

8timechamps
12/5/2013, 07:31 PM
I watched the Ice Bowl on TV, but the best game I've attended in person is between last year and 1988. I was in the OSU student section (I didn't go to OSU) when Brent Parker dropped the pass. The swing of emotions was amazing.

soonersweetie
12/5/2013, 08:23 PM
My husband was at the Ice Bowl. He is an OSU fan (yea, that's a whole other story). Anyway, he took a friend of his who is an OU fan. And they both had been standing up the whole game as the seats were icy and wet. Well, his friend couldn't stand anymore and decided to sit down. Yep, he actually froze his butt to the bleachers. He couldn't get up. So my hubby went to the concession stand and got a couple of coffees and poured them all over his pants so he could thaw. Well, now he's all wet and cold and it's still freezing. He wanted to leave, but my hubby made him stay. I wasn't there, but I bet that was priceless to see.

arcman46
12/5/2013, 09:26 PM
I was living in Weatherford, and was visiting my parents in Pryor. Had to be back in Weatherford on Sunday, so i drove from Pryor to Weatherford in the ice storm. Thought about going to the game. Must have been 5-10 inches of ice on the interstate. Don't know how I ever made it. Watched the game when I got back. Ordered a Dominoes pizza and it took 2 hours for it to show up. Good times.

SoonerBOkie
12/7/2013, 11:43 AM
Not related to Bedlam. But the cold weather makes me think of Norman 1988. Nebraska 7 Sooners 3. That day was my Ice Bowl.

soonertodd
12/7/2013, 12:31 PM
1980 in norman 63-14 whipping.was hilarious watching Traber run for his life all day.I think he got an honorary degree in astrology after all the stars he saw that day.