PDA

View Full Version : Another mother of the year candidate

Sooner in Tampa
12/4/2013, 07:43 AM
Shakin my damn head...

ST. PETERSBURG — A 31-year-old woman was arrested on a DUI charge Tuesday after the car she was driving ran into a school bus, St. Petersburg police said.
Nancy I. Kavallierakis of St. Petersburg was arrested on charges of DUI, careless driving and refusing to submit to a breath or blood test. Court records indicate the arrest is at least the third DUI for Kavallierakis, who was being held at the Pinellas County Jail on Tuesday evening with bail set at $5,250.
No one was hurt in the crash.

Police said the crash occurred about 2:30 p.m. as a Pinellas County school bus was headed east on 30th Avenue N with three children on board. Kavallierakis was driving behind the bus with her 3-year-old son in the car, police said. As the bus stopped in the area of 24th Street N, Kavallierakis' car struck the back of the bus, police said.
It was unclear whether Kavallierakis will face a child abuse charge for having her child in the car with her while she was reported to be driving while intoxicated.

8timechamps
12/4/2013, 06:31 PM
It was unclear whether Kavallierakis will face a child abuse charge for having her child in the car with her while she was reported to be driving while intoxicated.

Unclear?! That should be a slam dunk. What a waste of life.

KantoSooner
12/5/2013, 10:05 AM
This is one of those deals, 8TC, that is zero fun for anyone on the 'state' side of the table. Yes, it's clear that this is a mother doing wrong by her child. They still might not charge, however, depending on where and in what condition the father can be found, whether the mother shows any chance of rehab, whether there's functional family for the kid to fall back on, etc, etc. I doubt any prosecutor, social worker, whatever, would deny that sticking her with child abuse is feasible and warranted, but sometimes they have to forego what is warranted in favor of their best guess as to what is in the kiddo's long term interests.