PDA

View Full Version : Going to be cold/wet in Stoolwater on Sat. Is TK or Bell a "mudder"?

aurorasooner
12/4/2013, 02:54 AM
I just looked at the weather forecast for the game on Sat since the temp plunged here tonight and is expected to be below zero in the next couple of days. I don't know what they're expecting down in Oklahoma, but hopefully it won't be another Ice-Bowl. Heupel will probably game-plan for 40 or 50 passes. :surprise:

Stillwater, OK

http://www.wunderground.com/US/OK/Stillwater.html

Saturday
Snow Showers 29 | 22 °F
Snow Showers
40% chance of precipitation

swardboy
12/4/2013, 09:13 AM
Well it's a "Football Pro" surface, which I guess is a synthetic field, so mud's not a problem. But it sure sounds like a potential ice bowl situation...at least a slippery surface. Maybe suction cups would be better than cleats?? Tempts me to say the "plodder" (BB) would have the advantage over TK, but we need to continue Trevor's development. And he seems pretty stable on the run.

It's funny how bad field conditions can be an aid to a passing game because db's have a tough time with coverage. I remember John Elway all too well.

And good lord, it seems like we're up there every year.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/4/2013, 09:21 AM
If it's synthetic, didn't they install heating elements in the turf? Or at least purchase a field cover?

olevetonahill
12/4/2013, 09:31 AM
Well it's a "Football Pro" surface, which I guess is a synthetic field, so mud's not a problem. But it sure sounds like a potential ice bowl situation...at least a slippery surface. Maybe suction cups would be better than cleats?? Tempts me to say the "plodder" (BB) would have the advantage over TK, but we need to continue Trevor's development. And he seems pretty stable on the run.

It's funny how bad field conditions can be an aid to a passing game because db's have a tough time with coverage. I remember John Elway all too well.

And good lord, it seems like we're up there every year.

This will 4 of the last 6

KantoSooner
12/4/2013, 09:39 AM
So what is the conventional wisdom on this? Does the cold hurt receivers by hardening the ball and making their hands less reactive? Or hurt the DBs more? Or does it hurt the passing game and benefit the running game. I confused myself last night for about fifteen minutes on this point. Slow night.

deweydw
12/4/2013, 09:41 AM
TK did well in the cold against K-state. But that was a sunny day. I faith in TK that he will play just as good with the wintery conditions. I admit that I wasn't very impressed in the beginning of the season. But the last few games he has come along very well. I thinks it's going to be a very exciting game.

Aries
12/4/2013, 09:52 AM
It hurts everyone, so it's really a matter of who it hurts relatively more, and frankly that depends on so many factors on a micro-level it changes every play. DB's usually have more problems with footing than WR's, but they don't have to catch the ball for their play to be successful.

Overall, I think on a slick field the best offense is straight ahead running between the tackles, with as few cuts as possible.

However, unless freezing rain is falling at the time (and I think I heard that is supposed to end Friday) I really don't expect field condition to be a problem. It will be cold, which makes the passing game harder, but the gloves that almost all players wear anymore neutralizes a lot of the problems with cold, wet balls. I almost feel like the biggest impact weather will have is it may take the crowd out of the game, and neutralize some home-field advantage.

DISCLAIMER: I've never played organized football in ANY kind of weather, so my opinion is based strictly on watching it for several decades.

picasso
12/4/2013, 09:59 AM
It will greatly affect Gundy's hair.

KantoSooner
12/4/2013, 10:43 AM
YOU'RE RIGHT!

Damn. I forgot all about the 'Gundy Hair' factor.

badger
12/4/2013, 10:51 AM
On one hand, I'd like to sneer at the Pokes who demanded this game be Saturday night, but on the other, Friday overnight temps are crazy cold in the Tulsa area (single digit lows) so it might be colder Saturday morning than Saturday night.

In any event, I haven't gone to that game since OU band days and I don't miss it. To those of you braving those cold, cold Pokes, you have my condolences.

Pricetag
12/4/2013, 11:04 AM
http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131006055658/disney/images/7/7f/Jack_Frost(1).jpg

Aries
12/4/2013, 11:44 AM

Funniest.

Response.

Possible.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8timechamps
12/4/2013, 06:22 PM
It hurts everyone, so it's really a matter of who it hurts relatively more, and frankly that depends on so many factors on a micro-level it changes every play. DB's usually have more problems with footing than WR's, but they don't have to catch the ball for their play to be successful.

Overall, I think on a slick field the best offense is straight ahead running between the tackles, with as few cuts as possible.

However, unless freezing rain is falling at the time (and I think I heard that is supposed to end Friday) I really don't expect field condition to be a problem. It will be cold, which makes the passing game harder, but the gloves that almost all players wear anymore neutralizes a lot of the problems with cold, wet balls. I almost feel like the biggest impact weather will have is it may take the crowd out of the game, and neutralize some home-field advantage.

DISCLAIMER: I've never played organized football in ANY kind of weather, so my opinion is based strictly on watching it for several decades.

You're pretty much correct.

Nowadays, with the types of turf used, the field is rarely an issue. The only real factor is when it rains/snows, and it doesn't sound like that'll be an issue. It's a little tougher to catch passes when it's really cold, but oddly enough that's not because the ball is harder (which it is), it's because players tend to wear sleeves (in layers), and that can affect their 'feel'. Jalen Saunders always wears sleeves, so he shouldn't really be affected.

The wind (if there is any) will be much more of a factor. And I agree, the crowd will probably be affected more by the weather than the teams.

yermom
12/4/2013, 06:53 PM
we don't have heaters between plays

Jacie
12/4/2013, 07:19 PM
When will they ever market a decent cup of hot chocolate at a football game, one that does not taste like mud-colored water?

8timechamps
12/4/2013, 08:36 PM
When will they ever market a decent cup of hot chocolate at a football game, one that does not taste like mud-colored water?

It's cheaper to by brown food coloring wholesale, so probably never. ;D

badger
12/5/2013, 09:58 AM
By the way, you know how OSU students like to camp out in tents for big football (previously big basketball) games?

OSU shut em down due to the weather. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/osu-shuts-down-camp-gundy-due-to-winter-storm/article_1679d5af-d9b6-5c53-a941-7d26de031580.html)

They gave wristbands to the campers so they can still get in first without camping. If you want to be angry at them, they'll be the first ones rushing the field when OSU beats us [hairGel]

MichiganSooner
12/5/2013, 11:00 AM
Propane heaters, electric cords inside a tent? Sleeping on an air mattress instead of a foam pad? Those kids do not deserve a degree in camping!! Seems like they would be wise enough to just cuddle with the sheep. Camp Gumby-what a laugh.

badger
12/5/2013, 11:12 AM
Seems like they would be wise enough to just cuddle with the sheep

Counting sheep to go to sleep: Means something entirely different in Stillwater.
http://www.utexasclan.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/sheep.jpg

badger
12/6/2013, 02:02 PM
Pokes have been tweeting images of how they're preparing their stadium:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ba0S0a7CQAA9c_I.jpg

I pity the Pokes that bought season tickets just so they could go to tomorrow's game.

SoonerorLater
12/6/2013, 03:29 PM
I don't think the field and weather conditions will be as big of a deal as a lot of people think. Looks like they will have over 24 hours with no precipitation to get it ready. Though bitterly cold at kick off looks like it makes it into the 20's during the game. Not ideal and it may make it a little tough on the receivers but I think both teams are going to be able to run their offenses pretty close to 100%. We probably are going to see some drops we normally wouldn't see.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2013, 03:53 PM
Pokes have been tweeting images of how they're preparing their stadium:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ba0S0a7CQAA9c_I.jpg

I pity the Pokes that bought season tickets just so they could go to tomorrow's game.

Comparing our teams' stats and common opponent results, I figure it will take a cold day in hell for OU to win. Well, it's gonna be cold and it's in Stoolwater...

Soonerjeepman
12/6/2013, 04:27 PM
Comparing our teams' stats and common opponent results, I figure it will take a cold day in hell for OU to win. Well, it's gonna be cold and it's in Stoolwater...

nice.....

SoCalBigRed
12/7/2013, 04:20 AM
Josh Heupel
Hometown: Aberdeen, South Dakota
Current Temperature: -23

I think he knows a little something about cold weather.

JLEW1818
12/7/2013, 08:35 AM
@CarsonC5: Per @KOCOdamonlane the coldest #Bedlam on record was in 1919 at 25 degrees. That record is not safe.

olevetonahill
12/7/2013, 08:56 AM
@CarsonC5: Per @KOCOdamonlane the coldest #Bedlam on record was in 1919 at 25 degrees. That record is not safe.

My little weather thingy say its 6 there as of now, So tht record aint gonna make it 100 yers