PDA

View Full Version : Ijalana Decommits after Boulware visit

8timechamps
12/3/2013, 05:06 PM
Isaac Ijalana, the JUCO tight end that recently committed to OU has decommitted from the Sooners. The announcement came after coach Boulware made an in-home visit with Ijalana. While nothing has been confirmed, I have a strong belief that OU elected to resend his offer and is making room for another TE. Will update when/if I learn more about this situation.

Widescreen
12/3/2013, 05:43 PM
Seems weird to rescind an offer in person.

rock on sooner
12/3/2013, 05:46 PM
Maybe Boulware just told him that OU is aggressively recruiting
other TE's emphasizing plural and Ijalana took the hint.....

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/3/2013, 05:47 PM
other TE's emphasizing plural and Ijalana took the hint.....you don't suppose Boulware was unzipped, do ya?

8timechamps
12/3/2013, 05:58 PM
Seems weird to rescind an offer in person.

other TE's emphasizing plural and Ijalana took the hint.....

I think rock on sooner is correct. I'm not so sure Boulware came out and said "you no longer have an offer", I think he made it pretty clear that OU had decided to go another direction. I do believe OU would have honored his commitment had he chosen to come to Norman, but I think Boulware made the in-home visit to help "convince him to rethink his commitment".

cvsooner
12/3/2013, 06:38 PM
It's either that or he figures nobody will throw him a pass for the next two years.

8timechamps
12/3/2013, 07:50 PM
It's either that or he figures nobody will throw him a pass for the next two years.

In all seriousness, I'm wondering what the coaches have to "sell" prospective tight ends.

We have a kid on the roster now that was highly ranked, and highly recruited (McNamara). He has yet to really do anything. I'll give him a pass because he did suffer a season ending injury, but hopefully he'll pan out.

Scott D
12/4/2013, 01:15 PM
In all seriousness, I'm wondering what the coaches have to "sell" prospective tight ends.

We have a kid on the roster now that was highly ranked, and highly recruited (McNamara). He has yet to really do anything. I'll give him a pass because he did suffer a season ending injury, but hopefully he'll pan out.

I think it was a tendency to over rely on Millard. Notice how many snaps Brennan Green has been getting of late.

sooner_born_1960
12/4/2013, 01:32 PM
We made room for a punter.

cvsooner
12/4/2013, 03:02 PM

That may be the only pass he gets in his career...the one you're offering. Ridiculous. It's almost like we have an old rule book that doesn't count the tight end as an eligible receiver.

Mjcpr
12/4/2013, 03:32 PM
I think it was a tendency to over rely on Millard. Notice how many snaps Brennan Green has been getting of late.

Yet he is catching the same number of passes as before, 0.

Scott D
12/4/2013, 04:19 PM
Yet he is catching the same number of passes as before, 0.

That's because he's the new Ripkowski, who clearly isn't the new Millard ;)

stoopified
12/5/2013, 08:47 AM
FWIW James Hale says the issue was a class or classes from juco not transferring to OU.

8timechamps
12/5/2013, 05:12 PM
FWIW James Hale says the issue was a class or classes from juco not transferring to OU.

That's what I've heard. Ended up being something regarding grades, and it wasn't uncovered until late.

SoonerofAlabama
12/15/2013, 07:53 PM
He re-committed today.

8timechamps
12/15/2013, 08:54 PM
He re-committed today.

Yep.

Here's what happened:

There was an academic issue that was putting his move to the FBS in jeopardy. Apparently, when Ijalana learned of Boulware's visit, he decided to de-commit (assuming Boulware was going to pull his offer). So, kind of a "you can't fire me, I quit" thing. Boulware advised Ijalana (on his visit), that he must clear up the financial issues before he could come to OU. However, Ijalana had already "decommitted", so he didn't want to be flaky and decided to hold off on re-committing. Over this period, Purdue had offered Ijalana, so he took the chance to take an official to Purdue. In the end, he opted to be a Sooner (and that's all that really matters).

Big kid, it'll be interesting to see how he progresses.

yermom
12/15/2013, 09:30 PM
maybe that almost TD to Green helped :D

SoonerMarkVA
1/3/2014, 03:31 PM
Hey, we had at least 2 passes to the TE last night (I about fainted). Maybe they remembered that he's an eligible receiver!

stoopified
1/3/2014, 03:54 PM
Hey, we had at least 2 passes to the TE last night (I about fainted). Maybe they remembered that he's an eligible receiver!Me too