PDA

View Full Version : Question about returning kicks

jkjsooner
12/2/2013, 06:39 PM
Let's say there is time left on the clock. Is the kick return an all-or-nothing proposition? Does the ball go back to the original spot if the return is not successful?

Let's say the ball is spotted on the 40 prior to the field goal attempt. If the returner only gets back to the 20 yard line, I'm 99% sure the ball is not spotted there. What if the returner makes it to the 50? Is the ball spotted on the 50 or the 40?

8timechamps
12/2/2013, 06:50 PM
Good question, and I don't know the rule, but I lean toward the ball being spotted where the return man is downed.

What leads me to believe it is spotted where the player is downed is that you rarely see a team put a man back to return the FG attempt, and it's almost always on a half/game ending kick. So, since most of the time, the returner is downed much closer to the endzone (than the FG attempt), I would think the opposing coach would want the ball at the spot of the attempt. Does that make sense?

pappy
12/2/2013, 08:01 PM
It's going to be where the return man is down just like on a punt return.

Williesan
12/2/2013, 08:51 PM
Let's say there is time left on the clock. Is the kick return an all-or-nothing proposition? Does the ball go back to the original spot if the return is not successful?

Let's say the ball is spotted on the 40 prior to the field goal attempt. If the returner only gets back to the 20 yard line, I'm 99% sure the ball is not spotted there. What if the returner makes it to the 50? Is the ball spotted on the 50 or the 40?

The ball goes back to the original spot is if the kick is missed or blocked by the defending team and is not downed by the defensive team. The defending team is not penalized for not returning the kick by losing yardage from the spot the ball was snapped. They actually gain yardage if the ball is snapped inside the 20 yard line and the kick is missed the ball goes to the 20 like it were a touchback.

Once the ball is touched by the defensive team, it is live and can be advanced by the defense (non-kicking team at the snap). (Read: Leon Lett, circa Thanksgiving 1993.) But, the yardage gained is what they get. They get to the 30 and the ball was snapped at the 40, then they get the ball at the 30.

I will have to check the rule book, but I don't think the kicking team can advance a muffed kick in any case (a muff is a touch by the receiving team, but no possession.)

if there is possession and a fumble by the defensive team, the kicking team may recover and advance the ball.

Hope this helps.

8timechamps
12/2/2013, 09:15 PM
The ball goes back to the original spot is if the kick is missed or blocked by the defending team and is not downed by the defensive team. The defending team is not penalized for not returning the kick by losing yardage from the spot the ball was snapped. They actually gain yardage if the ball is snapped inside the 20 yard line and the kick is missed the ball goes to the 20 like it were a touchback.

Once the ball is touched by the defensive team, it is live and can be advanced by the defense (non-kicking team at the snap). (Read: Leon Lett, circa Thanksgiving 1993.) But, the yardage gained is what they get. They get to the 30 and the ball was snapped at the 40, then they get the ball at the 30.

I will have to check the rule book, but I don't think the kicking team can advance a muffed kick in any case (a muff is a touch by the receiving team, but no possession.)

if there is possession and a fumble by the defensive team, the kicking team may recover and advance the ball.

Hope this helps.

That's what I was suspecting. Makes sense that it would be that way, since the defensive team elected to keep the ball "live".

jkjsooner
12/3/2013, 09:50 AM

Learn something new every day.

Here are rules I found in the NCAA rulebook in the case where the ball is not touched. The first is for scrimmage kicks (including punts) and the second is an exception for field goal attempts. So if the ball isn't touched it goes back to the LOS which I thought was true.

Basically this is saying that if the ball is touched it is treated just like any scrimmage kick. This begs the question why so many players will pick up a blocked field goal 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage and try to return it knowing full well that can't make it to the previous spot. Auburn did it on the blocked field goal attempt. The previous spot was the 27 and he only got back to the 20. He was bailed out by a 15 yard late hit penalty on Alabama.

Out of Bounds Between Goal Lines or at Rest Inbounds
ARTICLE 7. If a scrimmage kick goes out of bounds between the goal lines or
comes to rest inbounds and no player attempts to secure it, the ball becomes
dead and belongs to the receiving team at the dead-ball spot (Exception: Rule
8-4-2-b).

8-4-2-bUnsuccessful field-goal attempt.
1. When the ball is declared dead beyond the neutral zone and is untouched
by Team B beyond the neutral zone, it belongs to Team B. Except in
an extra period Team B will snap the ball at the previous spot unless the
previous spot was between its 20-yard line and the goal line. In that case
Team B will next snap the ball at its 20-yard line....
2. If the ball does not cross the neutral zone or if Team B touches the ball
beyond the neutral zone, all rules pertaining to scrimmage kicks apply
(A.R. 6-3-4-II, A.R. 8-4-2-I-VI and A.R. 10-2-3-V).

PalmBeachSooner
12/4/2013, 01:55 PM

A muff can not be advanced in HS or College.