PDA

View Full Version : Let this sink in.....

Sooner Sig Ep
12/2/2013, 01:22 AM
FSU's current move into the #1 spot in the AP poll marks the first time they've been there since 2000 . Wow... Let that sink in. I know we have had some subpar seasons (according to our standards), but 13 yrs is a LONG span between #1 rankings. I get as frustrated as anyone else with certain coaching decisions but I'll have to give credit where its due: I'll take our last 13 years over just about anyone else's...

SicEmBaylor
12/2/2013, 02:02 AM
It only matters when you finish at #1.

SoCalBigRed
12/2/2013, 05:21 AM
A) Which your team hasn't ever done.

and

B) FSU didn't finish #1 that season either.

CincySooner
12/2/2013, 09:39 AM
Funny coincidence...

After the Nebraska game in 2000, OU achieved their first #1 ranking in 13 years.

Sooner Sig Ep
12/2/2013, 11:52 AM
Funny coincidence...

After the Nebraska game in 2000, OU achieved their first #1 ranking in 13 years.

That's a bit spooky!

Soonerjeepman
12/2/2013, 12:50 PM

and you wonder why people give you $hit on here...

on top of it...I'd bet a zillion dollars IF bu ever gets a #1 ranking at ANYTIME your fans would be all over that like white on rice...

SicEmBaylor
12/3/2013, 12:27 AM
and you wonder why people give you $hit on here...

on top of it...I'd bet a zillion dollars IF bu ever gets a #1 ranking at ANYTIME your fans would be all over that like white on rice...

My point is that in-season polls don't mean much at the end of the season unless you're ranked #1. I may be wrong, but I thought most teams were in it for that. Would I be excited if we had a #1 ranking? I'd be excited only because it is an opportunity to stay and finish at #1. If we're #1 in week #4 and are dropped out of the rankings by the end of the season then I couldn't give much of a **** about that #1 ranking.

Sooner Sig Ep
12/3/2013, 10:06 AM
.[/QUOTE]

My point is that in-season polls don't mean much at the end of the season unless you're ranked #1. I may be wrong, but I thought most teams were in it for that. Would I be excited if we had a #1 ranking? I'd be excited only because it is an opportunity to stay and finish at #1. If we're #1 in week #4 and are dropped out of the rankings by the end of the season then I couldn't give much of a **** about that #1 ranking.[/QUOTE]

I certainly understand your point regarding the ideas that interim #1 rankings don't matter since you need to FINISH at #1 to be champion, and yes, we are all in it to win that crystal football. My point of the thread was that although we've not win it since 2000, we've had our shots in NC games and been ranked highly many times, which shows consistent performance at a higher level. Only one team can win the whole shootin' match each year and I think it would be wrong to label every other team's season a failure. If we can't win it all, I still think its important to consistently be in the hunt. That's the hallmark of a stellar program...just my two cents.

BigTip
12/3/2013, 11:04 AM
My point is that in-season polls don't mean much at the end of the season unless you're ranked #1.

I totally disagree.
Being ranked one at any time is exciting and shows the potential to finish first. It shows a program that, at that point, is better than everyone else.
Sure, it's not as good as being #1 at the end of the season, but it's still really good.

And yes, we are very, very spoiled.
Look at Duke. They are 10-2 and their fans are going crazy with glee.

MsProudSooner
12/3/2013, 11:47 AM
I heard last night that under Tom Izzo, Michigan State has been to the Final Four 7 times and won the NC once. OU fans would want to run him out of town on a rail for a poor performance like that!

picasso
12/4/2013, 12:12 PM

Duh. But being there means you have better than average shot at it.

LakeRat
12/4/2013, 01:00 PM
And to imagine that Florida State would have the audacity to "Fire" that coach!! Unbelievable at how . . . poorly it worked out?

picasso
12/4/2013, 01:31 PM
Let's not kid ourselves, they won the lottery with that QB.
There's a pretty good chance OU is undefeated right now with that guy.

jkjsooner
12/4/2013, 03:02 PM
That's a bit spooky!

The spooky thing is that to kids today, the 2000 national title seems almost as long ago as the 1985 title did in 2000.

Of course, the years since have been a lot sweeter than the years between '85 and 2000.

jkjsooner
12/4/2013, 03:10 PM
I heard last night that under Tom Izzo, Michigan State has been to the Final Four 7 times and won the NC once. OU fans would want to run him out of town on a rail for a poor performance like that!

Basketball is a little different. There's a tournament and his teams have to perform well in post season play against national competition to make it to the Final Four.

In football, if you make it to the title game and get beat, there's always the question about whether you even deserved to be there.

In the future with the four team playoff, making it to a national title game (meaning you won a game against a top 4 team) will mean a lot more than it has up to this point. It's a lot harder to argue that you didn't deserve to be there in that scenario.

Making the four team playoff (wonder if they'll call it a Final Four) in football will remain a suspect accomplishment if you don't win that first game - still lot of questions on whether you deserved to be there.

SicEmBaylor
12/4/2013, 04:23 PM
Duh. But being there means you have better than average shot at it.

Which is exactly what I said.