PDA

View Full Version : We can still have a successful season if we beat OSU, and win our bowl game

dennis580
12/1/2013, 06:27 PM
If you had ask anybody before the season if 11-2 would be a successful season for this team they would have said yes without even asking weather we won the Big 12 or beat Texas.

olevetonahill
12/1/2013, 06:32 PM
:surprise:

Plexis22
12/1/2013, 06:45 PM
A win over OSU in Stillwater salvages this season. It's not the two losses which were expected by most but the way we lost, especially against an inferior Texas team and getting blown out at Baylor. OU should never be blown out by Baylor. A win in Stillwater and a bowl win would be huge achievements for this team and program, and something that could get people really excited about next year.

rock on sooner
12/1/2013, 06:57 PM
A win over OSU in Stillwater salvages this season. It's not the two losses which were expected by most but the way we lost, especially against an inferior Texas team and getting blown out at Baylor. OU should never be blown out by Baylor. A win in Stillwater and a bowl win would be huge achievements for this team and program, and something that could get people really excited about next year.

I think you're selling Baylor short, but you are correct about beating
OSU. Hard to believe that some think a 9 or 10 win season is not
successful. Yeah, Yeah, I know, we're Oklahoma, Dammit! But,
still...

SoonerorLater
12/1/2013, 07:08 PM
I think you're selling Baylor short, but you are correct about beating
OSU. Hard to believe that some think a 9 or 10 win season is not
successful. Yeah, Yeah, I know, we're Oklahoma, Dammit! But,
still...

I understand the 9-10 win thing but the other side of the ledger is also in play. In this day and time 9-10 wins can also mean 3-4 losses.

BigTip
12/1/2013, 07:28 PM
I was expecting the Baylor loss.
The friggin' loss to texASS still is stuck in my craw though.

And yes, 11-2 is a very good year.

For most schools.

olevetonahill
12/1/2013, 07:42 PM
Screw Yall. I was expectin an Undefeated Season and a MNC.
Bunch of dayum losers expecting losses !

SoonerorLater
12/1/2013, 07:43 PM
So what exactly is considered a successful season for OU? What are the objective markers that say "this was a successful season"? What accomplishments need to be met?

olevetonahill
12/1/2013, 07:48 PM
So what exactly is considered a successful season for OU? What are the objective markers that say "this was a successful season"? What accomplishments need to be met?

Win the Dayum MNC!
Pay Tention!

aurorasooner
12/1/2013, 09:00 PM
A win over OSU in Stillwater salvages this season. It's not the two losses which were expected by most but the way we lost, especially against an inferior Texas team and getting blown out at Baylor. OU should never be blown out by Baylor. A win in Stillwater and a bowl win would be huge achievements for this team and program, and something that could get people really excited about next year. I'm not so sure we have to beat Stool State to salvage the season although, I'd like to whip them. It's if we show up against the Pokes and especially if we show up in our bowl game and our coaches don't take the holiday season completely off.
I don't have a problem with us losing, but getting just totally out-played and especially us getting completely out-coached
is just beyond belief. HITH, Heupel got nominated for assistant coach of the year is beyond belief to me, unless perhaps you consider what he's done off the field. But just getting the offensive plays in the game in a timely manner seems to be a major accomplishment for him.
Hopefully we'll put it all together next weekend and win, but if we happen to lose, I sure hope we, at least. show up and don't get blown out.

ashley
12/1/2013, 09:06 PM
Looks very, very bad against OSU this week to me. The only chance is rivalry game have some strange outcomes.

yermom
12/1/2013, 09:31 PM
i think if we had the offense we saw in Manhattan in Dallas or Waco we could easily be undefeated

if our guys are up for OSU, i think we have a chance

if we win out, i think we can be pretty happy, i'll be happy with splitting the next two games, really

8timechamps
12/1/2013, 09:48 PM
Win or lose to OSU, this HAS BEEN A SUCCESSFUL SEASON.

It wasn't that long ago that there were posts on this very site predicting a 6-6 year. Whether we finish 9-3 or 10-2, and considering what most thought coming into this season, 2013 is a successful year.

Some of you folks must stay awake at night after an OU loss.

OUinFLA
12/1/2013, 10:02 PM
Some of you folks must stay awake at night after an OU loss.

at my age you stay awake at night just to make sure you pee in the bathroom
football has nothing to do with it

Soonerjeepman
12/1/2013, 10:15 PM
2-0 would be awesome, split is expected...0-2 makes me go hmmmm....but

I am excited about next year....

D is YOUNG..only 2 Sr's started against ksu...

O seems young...RB's got a lot of talent...young QB, some good receivers..good ones coming in. Line? thinkin we had only 1 or 2 Sr on it.

SoonerMarkVA
12/1/2013, 10:16 PM
I'll consider it a successful season if we have reason to believe we've found a QB that can take the offense to the NC game. I have a glimmer of hope about Knight, but I'm truly bummed that we won't get to see Thompson in some meaningful action.

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2013, 10:35 PM
Screw Yall. I was expectin an Undefeated Season and a MNC.
Bunch of dayum losers expecting losses !

Does it matter* if the losses are expected or not? Some of us don't have access to the level of mind altering substances that you do, Vet

*(it does if you bet, and I did bet in the horn game)

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2013, 10:40 PM
Looks like all those media types may have known what they were talking about pre-season. Most had OSU winning the conference with Baylor getting the next most votes. There were a few fringe votes claiming the horns would not only win the conference, but return to elite level. Most had OU between 2nd and 4th with almost all of them citing the uncertainty at QB as the major cause for concern. Maybe that's all just obvious stuff, but few with crimson shades would agree with them at the time.

8timechamps
12/2/2013, 06:03 PM
Looks like all those media types may have known what they were talking about pre-season. Most had OSU winning the conference with Baylor getting the next most votes. There were a few fringe votes claiming the horns would not only win the conference, but return to elite level. Most had OU between 2nd and 4th with almost all of them citing the uncertainty at QB as the major cause for concern. Maybe that's all just obvious stuff, but few with crimson shades would agree with them at the time.

Eh, there were a fair share of those same media types picking TCU too.

EatLeadCommie
12/2/2013, 06:29 PM

I don't recall any votes for Baylor. All the predictions I saw were either TCU or OSU, with a smattering of Texas.

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2013, 07:32 PM
Eh, there were a fair share of those same media types picking TCU too.

I only saw a few picking TCU as a dark horse. And that was before Pachall(sp?) went down.

King Barry's Back
12/2/2013, 08:07 PM
2-0 would be awesome, split is expected...0-2 makes me go hmmmm....but

I am excited about next year....

D is YOUNG..only 2 Sr's started against ksu...

O seems young...RB's got a lot of talent...young QB, some good receivers..good ones coming in. Line? thinkin we had only 1 or 2 Sr on it.

Bottom-line on next year: I think that 2013 showed we're a long ways towards having our defense shored up. If we can get our QB problems lined out (which requires ONLY personal growth/maturity/experience between either Bell or Knight), we are going to be very strong contenders to win the Big XII and make the playoffs.

Regarding this year: In Big 8 days, to have a "successful season," OU had to either beat TX or win the conference. If we didn't accomplish one or the other, it was considered a disappointing year. While we failed on both of those goals this year, 11-2 and a bowl trophy would be a pretty nice season. That would give us a chance of finishing about the top-10, and be a good boost going into next year. Given how we lost our two games, though, in my book, 10-3 would be a disappointment. That would leave us ranked I guess around 20th. Yuck.

Peeb
12/2/2013, 08:15 PM
Bottom-line on next year: I think that 2013 showed we're a long ways towards having our defense shored up. If we can get our QB problems lined out (which requires ONLY personal growth/maturity/experience between either Bell or Knight), we are going to be very strong contenders to win the Big XII and make the playoffs.

Regarding this year: In Big 8 days, to have a "successful season," OU had to either beat TX or win the conference. If we didn't accomplish one or the other, it was considered a disappointing year. While we failed on both of those goals this year, 11-2 and a bowl trophy would be a pretty nice season. That would give us a chance of finishing about the top-10, and be a good boost going into next year. Given how we lost our two games, though, in my book, 10-3 would be a disappointment. That would leave us ranked I guess around 20th. Yuck.
Don't forget the Nebraska game. It was a BIG deal back in Big-8 days. Switzer was 12-5 against Osborne.

During the Switzer era, Sooners NEVER finished lower than 2nd in the conference. It was truly a golden age.

Soonerwake
12/2/2013, 08:30 PM
I think he didn't mention it cuz to win the conference we had to beat the Huskers. Those were the good ole days...

8timechamps
12/2/2013, 09:18 PM
I only saw a few picking TCU as a dark horse. And that was before Pachall(sp?) went down.

Yeah, I think there were only a few picking them to win it out-right, but most (if not all) had them contending for the title. Just goes to show how hard it is to predict anything in college football. The OSU pick made some sense to me at the start of the season, but I'm not sure they even win this weekend.

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2013, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I think there were only a few picking them to win it out-right, but most (if not all) had them contending for the title. Just goes to show how hard it is to predict anything in college football. The OSU pick made some sense to me at the start of the season, but I'm not sure they even win this weekend.

Well, I'm not sure either. But as Sic'em would paraphrase, my anus is prepared.

Peeb
12/3/2013, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I think there were only a few picking them to win it out-right, but most (if not all) had them contending for the title. Just goes to show how hard it is to predict anything in college football. The OSU pick made some sense to me at the start of the season, but I'm not sure they even win this weekend.I thought OU would beat UT. I thought Baylor would beat OSU. Anything can happen. On paper, OSU wins this weekend- but the games ain't played on paper.

No one should be sure of what will happen this weekend.

C&CDean
12/3/2013, 09:34 AM
I thought OU would beat UT. I thought Baylor would beat OSU. Anything can happen. On paper, OSU wins this weekend- but the games ain't played on paper.

No one should be sure of what will happen this weekend.

Pretty wise words for an aglet.

Boomer.....
12/3/2013, 10:16 AM
9-3 is about where I thought we would be this season with an unproven QB. If we beat aggy, then we exceeded expectations in my eyes.

Position Limit
12/3/2013, 10:47 AM
there is no reason other than our braintrust at offensive coordination that this team should not be undefeated right now. dallas was a buffoonery of embarrassing play calling. texas was very vulnerable that day. i was hoping that we would be the ones to expose baylor as the paper tigers that they are. but i guess waco is just a hornets nest were we go to lose every other year now. pathetic. i've become curiously accustomed to ou losing 2-3 games a year that they should be winning. so this year is no different. we still get to enjoy our post season bowl game odyssey too. par. the upshot is that we will knock off the chokes in the stool on saturday. yeah team. this is what we've become. i guess it doesnt really matter. does anybody get excited to go play some bull****e school in the fiesta bowl? no thanks.

EatLeadCommie
12/3/2013, 10:55 AM
If we lose to OSU, where do we go bowling and against whom?

JLMSOONER
12/3/2013, 10:59 AM
Consider it a good season with a win against pokie? Not a chance. After reading this thread I had to go to the homepage to make sure it said Soonerfans. I thought I had got on a poke site.

Position Limit
12/3/2013, 11:01 AM
If we lose to OSU, where do we go bowling and against whom?

does it really matter? are you planning a vacation somewhere in texas later this month?

olevetonahill
12/3/2013, 11:09 AM
does it really matter? are you planning a vacation somewhere in texas later this month?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUg6J6SYzI07gDPDvBSTa9TTD5MCJ30 Ak1xAY-2Q9YE44Gw_Cr

Position Limit
12/3/2013, 11:21 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUg6J6SYzI07gDPDvBSTa9TTD5MCJ30 Ak1xAY-2Q9YE44Gw_Cr

awe gee shucks....lets go speculate on what great bowl game ou gets to play in. along with about 75 other teams. cause we're ou and we have tradition and stuff. maybe alamo. ohhhhh. maybe el paso. yeahhh. doesnt ft worth have something these days? yes lets discuss what bowl game ou goes to if they get drilled by osu. sounds exciting.

PrideMom
12/3/2013, 11:28 AM
OU was a 10+ favorite against Texas, so maybe with OSU having the same odds, they will think it will be a cake-walk. Let's hope Mike Stoops gets the right defense going, like we did against Notre Dame. The weather may help keep the crowd down, except I saw an idiot OSU fan on TV talking about dressing his 6 month old daughter for the game. Why would anyone take an infant to a game?

olevetonahill
12/3/2013, 11:37 AM
awe gee shucks....lets go speculate on what great bowl game ou gets to play in. along with about 75 other teams. cause we're ou and we have tradition and stuff. maybe alamo. ohhhhh. maybe el paso. yeahhh. doesnt ft worth have something these days? yes lets discuss what bowl game ou goes to if they get drilled by osu. sounds exciting.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRs8WzIsuYDTCHIvqE8ddlBiXaF3coDk QA8pKnhcEUioFX10i9IUQ

JLMSOONER
12/3/2013, 02:05 PM
OU was a 10+ favorite against Texas, so maybe with OSU having the same odds, they will think it will be a cake-walk. Let's hope Mike Stoops gets the right defense going, like we did against Notre Dame. The weather may help keep the crowd down, except I saw an idiot OSU fan on TV talking about dressing his 6 month old daughter for the game. Why would anyone take an infant to a game?

You kiddin? It may be awhile before the kid gets to go to a bedlam game where the pokes are favored and look like they may win. 83-17-7