PDA

View Full Version : the likelihood Saban and Bama backs into the BCS title game

OU_Sooners75
12/1/2013, 11:21 AM
Again this season very slim.

With Missouri and Auburn having one loss, the winner of the SEC title game has that inside track. But if FSU and OSU win then they are going to be there.

Regardless Saban won't be backing into a BCS title this year

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/1/2013, 02:06 PM
If Missouri wins over Auburn, Bama has a real shot. Even if Ohio St wins and goes 13-0.

fadada1
12/1/2013, 02:11 PM
crazier things have happened. should fsu and osu both lose (to very inferior opponents), that will open up a can of worms. obviously should that happen, the sec winner is in for sure. it would then come down to how voters feel about allowing a 1-loss bama back in (only loss to #4 auburn at the time on the last play of the game). a 1-loss osu or fsu to 2-loss wisky or duke looks a lot worse, imo.

that being said, fsu losing to duke would be an epic fail.

Skysooner
12/1/2013, 02:19 PM
If OSU beat #11 MSU, they deserve to be there regardless of what happens in the SEC Championship game. Any other result would be a travesty. No, I know they barely won yesterday, but they would have run the table.

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2013, 05:19 PM
Again this season very slim.

With Missouri and Auburn having one loss, the winner of the SEC title game has that inside track. But if FSU and OSU win then they are going to be there.

Regardless Saban won't be backing into a BCS title this year

All this reasoning is sound and rational. Makes me think Bama gets in - we're talking BCS, after all. :)

If Mizzou beats Auburn, they should jump idle Bama. They'll have the SEC championship trophy and 1 loss in OT to a very good SC team with their backup QB at the helm. Should be obvious Auburn stays ahead if they win. MSU may very well beat tOSU - that's the highest probability upset. I can't see Duke staying on field with FSU unless Winston is tossed from the team this week and they fold like a cheap suit. I could see Bama passing FSU even with an FSU victory if Winston is tossed and they win ugly. That would really cause concern for the human voters which is 2/3 the score.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/1/2013, 05:33 PM
The powers-that-be want Bama. They will be looking for any excuse or rationale.

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2013, 05:40 PM
The powers-that-be want Bama. They will be looking for any excuse or rationale.

On what do you base this statement?

SoonerStormchaser
12/1/2013, 05:54 PM
If OSU beat #11 MSU, they deserve to be there regardless of what happens in the SEC Championship game. Any other result would be a travesty. No, I know they barely won yesterday, but they would have run the table.

No...they...don't!

In the past two seasons, who have they beaten? Seriously...

They are probably the least deserving undefeated BCS school to be mentioned for the MNC game in the past decade.

Peeb
12/1/2013, 06:19 PM
* Bama is not the best team in their conference (did not make championship game)

*Bama is not the best team in their division (lost to Auburn)

*Bama is not the best team in their State (see above).

BUT their participation would sell a ton of TV advertising.

So they should get in, because... (stumbles for rationale) ... SEC.

They're in!

DrZaius
12/1/2013, 07:15 PM
They will be there if ESPN want them there. That HUGE SEC SPIN MACHINE (ESPN largest and most expensive TV contract) was full strength today. They had everyone on the shows today, until NFL coverage started, that they could get their hands on that would say an SEC team not in the title game was the worst thing since white bread. Unbelievable what I witnessed today. College football is doomed with those guys at the helm. Personally an SEC team maybe should be there in the end, and this rant is not about whether or not they should, but no conference is gonna be able to withstand the media onslaught that ESPN can direct against you. Guess how many people they interviewed on behalf of Florida State or Ohio State? ZERO!

I am saying nothing knew here. Bunches of people can see what is happening to D1 ball. If your conference does not have a big TV deal with ESPN your unfortunately on the outside looking in.

PS... The playoffs, which is dumb to call it so because it only contains 4 teams, will not be any different. Just wait until ESPN decides a 3 or 4 loss SEC team should be there. Their SEC/ESPN tv channel launches for next season. Do you think there will be more bias or less?

BigTip
12/1/2013, 07:24 PM
http://www.liesyoungwomenbelieve.com/assets/images/man%20praying.jpg
Please...PLEASE don't let any SEC team in the title game this year.

Turd_Ferguson
12/1/2013, 08:04 PM
No...they...don't!

They are probably the least deserving undefeated BCS school to be mentioned for the MNC game in the past decade.

This is what I'm say'n...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/1/2013, 08:34 PM
if either tOSU or FSU are in the NC game, the opponent won't be Bama, and I'm pretty comfortable with that scenario.

mainline13
12/1/2013, 08:47 PM
On what do you base this statement?

Rampant paranoia, I'd say. At least that is why I think the same thing.

mainline13
12/1/2013, 08:57 PM
No...they...don't!

Yes ... they ... do! See, I can do that, too.

If they don't deserve it, as an undefeated major (ahem!) conference champ, then what do we do? Vote on it? That is already a factor, but it's probably more of a factor than is just and right (IMO).

With only 2 undefeated AQ conference champions, it seems to be the most objective choice that those 2 would play for it. Are they the 2 best teams? Probably not, but that word "best" is really subjective. A lot of teams could make a case. This way, when almost any team whines about not being in it, they can be told "Don't like it? Win all your games."

8timechamps
12/1/2013, 09:53 PM
The ONLY way Bama gets in is if tOSU AND FSU both lose. There is no exception to this. None.

Even if FSU or tOSU were to lose (one, not both), then the winner of the SEC title game would jump into the BCS championship game. So, either Mizzou or Auburn. Not Bama.

Bama's run is over. The best they can hope for is a BCS bid, and I'm sure they'll get one.

8timechamps
12/1/2013, 09:55 PM
Yes ... they ... do! See, I can do that, too.

If they don't deserve it, as an undefeated major (ahem!) conference champ, then what do we do? Vote on it? That is already a factor, but it's probably more of a factor than is just and right (IMO).

With only 2 undefeated AQ conference champions, it seems to be the most objective choice that those 2 would play for it. Are they the 2 best teams? Probably not, but that word "best" is really subjective. A lot of teams could make a case. This way, when almost any team whines about not being in it, they can be told "Don't like it? Win all your games."

As much as I dislike tOSU, they would absolutely deserve to be in the title game if they win the Big 10 CCG. There would be two undefeated, power conference teams. Those two deserve to play each other.

The only way tOSU wouldn't deserve to be there is if they were one of the several one-loss teams. Then you could make a case for better teams, but not when they're undefeated.

Mac94
12/2/2013, 08:36 AM
Mizzou beating A&M I think shuts out Bama except in the situation where both FSU and Ohio St lose ... which again would go back to the Saban being a spawn of Satan type thing. Auburn might jump Ohio St. but shouldn't, IMHO. If Ohio St loses to Michigan St I think the SEC champ gets the nod over Oklahoma St based on current rankings.

XingTheRubicon
12/2/2013, 09:03 AM
also, is Sabanball still alive?

sooneron
12/2/2013, 03:31 PM
The ONLY way Bama gets in is if tOSU AND FSU both lose. There is no exception to this. None.

Bama's run is over. .
Which (if tOSU & FSU win) the sec's run is over!! *rubs hands together joyfully...

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2013, 03:38 PM
also, is Sabanball still alive?

Someone should check on him.

rock on sooner
12/2/2013, 04:02 PM
As much as I dislike tOSU, they would absolutely deserve to be in the title game if they win the Big 10 CCG. There would be two undefeated, power conference teams. Those two deserve to play each other.

The only way tOSU wouldn't deserve to be there is if they were one of the several one-loss teams. Then you could make a case for better teams, but not when they're undefeated.

Welp, I don't like Meyer or tOSU, partly because they have a pretty
long undefeated streak...their QB is a stud, though. On the other
hand, Mich St is rock solid on D and fairly good on O, so the Buckeyes
might be in for a long day on Sat....there will be a lot of angst this
coming Saturday in a number of locales, not the least of which will
be Stoolwater...and my family room in Des Moines! Boomer!

jkjsooner
12/2/2013, 04:44 PM
If Ohio St loses to Michigan St I think the SEC champ gets the nod over Oklahoma St based on current rankings.

Now you're stating the obvious. Of course a two loss Oklahoma State team just off a throttling from OU isn't going to make it to the title game. Silly...

Seriously, I agree with you that (the other) OSU is out even in the the unlikely ;) scenario they beat OU.

jkjsooner
12/2/2013, 04:48 PM
Which (if tOSU & FSU win) the sec's run is over!! *rubs hands together joyfully...

That makes me somewhat happy but I'd much rather an SEC team get beat in the title game (which I think would happen this year).

If they're locked out they'll just assume that they would have easily won a title game if they were allowed in it. After all, remember that an SEC title is more important to them than a national title because in their warped minds it is more impressive. (Haven't heard that lately since, well, they haven't needed to say it.)

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2013, 05:10 PM
That makes me somewhat happy but I'd much rather an SEC team get beat in the title game (which I think would happen this year).

If they're locked out they'll just assume that they would have easily won a title game if they were allowed in it. After all, remember that an SEC title is more important to them than a national title because in their warped minds it is more impressive. (Haven't heard that lately since, well, they haven't needed to say it.)

No, they'll just *say* the SEC title is more important and they would have won if invited. That's just their sour grapes way of expressing they are all butthurt. If it wasn't important to them, the Auburn AD (and other SEC homers) wouldn't have started lobbying that they should leap tOSU before that Auburn CB finished his runback. I hope the SEC gets locked out and labors under the "injustice" for an entire year (and beyond).

8timechamps
12/2/2013, 05:54 PM
Welp, I don't like Meyer or tOSU, partly because they have a pretty
long undefeated streak...their QB is a stud, though. On the other
hand, Mich St is rock solid on D and fairly good on O, so the Buckeyes
might be in for a long day on Sat....there will be a lot of angst this
coming Saturday in a number of locales, not the least of which will
be Stoolwater...and my family room in Des Moines! Boomer!

Yep, there aren't many teams/programs I dislike as much as I do Ohio State, but even with that I think they deserve a shot should they finish unbeaten. I do think MSU will be their toughest test this year. So, a lot can change.

12/2/2013, 06:01 PM
the possibility of horror still exists though, if tOSU would lose to Mich state, AND mizzou beat auburn, and the BCS sends Bama into the NC game instead of mizzou. Could Bama beat FSU? maybe.

8timechamps
12/2/2013, 06:10 PM
the possibility of horror still exists though, if tOSU would lose to Mich state, AND mizzou beat auburn, and the BCS sends Bama into the NC game instead of mizzou. Could Bama beat FSU? maybe.

We aren't to mention that possibility. It's too much to think about. Let's just pray that they both win.

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2013, 07:16 PM

Maybe. But that Brad Edwards guy (BCS expert) on ESPN was very certain that Mizzou would jump idle Bama with a win.

12/2/2013, 07:33 PM
Maybe. But that Brad Edwards guy (BCS expert) on ESPN was very certain that Mizzou would jump idle Bama with a win.Hell, if he was THAT certain, then forgive my fear.:peaceful::tranquillity:

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2013, 07:49 PM
Maybe. But that Brad Edwards guy (BCS expert) on ESPN was very certain that Mizzou would jump idle Bama with a win.

Hell, if he was THAT certain, then forgive my fear.:peaceful::tranquillity:

I'm not putting any $$ on it, but at least he does look at all the computer numbers and how the human votes fall. That's more analysis than I do, so I would weight that more than a bunch of unfounded speculation.

8timechamps
12/2/2013, 09:28 PM

If FSU and tOSU both lose, then either Auburn or Mizzou would play Bama in the title game. The loser of the SEC CCG is out of the picture, but a 1-loss Bama would jump one loss FSU and tOSU to meet the SEC champion. Technically, Bama is still alive. Given how the football Gods have favored Bama in recent years, I can't quite close the door on that possibility. No matter how improbable.

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2013, 11:43 PM
If FSU and tOSU both lose, then either Auburn or Mizzou would play Bama in the title game. The loser of the SEC CCG is out of the picture, but a 1-loss Bama would jump one loss FSU and tOSU to meet the SEC champion. Technically, Bama is still alive. Given how the football Gods have favored Bama in recent years, I can't quite close the door on that possibility. No matter how improbable.

That's a logical scenario, I was just discounting an upset by Duke as not worth considering. Now if the DA decides to file charges against Winston this week…

DCsooner22
12/3/2013, 09:39 AM
Is the DA a FSU alum...?

jkjsooner
12/3/2013, 01:48 PM
(Haven't heard that lately since, well, they haven't needed to say it.)

Almost on cue I was listening to the college football station on Sirius and Pat Dye mentioned that winning the SEC is as hard (or maybe said as impressive) as winning the national title.

The absurdity out of that conference just never ends.

Oh, and he was also blasting Ohio State because they haven't played the level of speed as in the SEC. Then he mentioned how fast the Missouri defense is. Want to bet Missouri wouldn't have been perceived as fast had they stayed in the Big 12? Apparently when you join the SEC your existing players get a lot faster.

ouleaf
12/3/2013, 02:04 PM
There is still a possibility but they need a lot of help at this point. It of course would have to start with Mizzouri beating Auburn in the SEC championship game.. They would then need either OSU or FSU to lose in their conference championship game. I think with enough politicking and ESPIN doing their part could convince poll voters to put Alabama into the MNC game ahead of Mizzouri.

A less likely scenario would be Auburn winning against Mizzouri and then both FSU and OSU losing their games. Then you'd have an Iron Bowl rematch for the MNC. I just don't see it being very likely that both FSU and OSU lose their games this weekend.

That said, I'm all aboard the Duke bandwagon!

12/3/2013, 02:18 PM
I have almost no worry that FSU will lose to Duke, but am now pounced to root for tOSU against meatchick state, in order to insure that Bama is kept out of the NC game. Besides, I strongly believe that FSU will take tOSU.

Salt City Sooner
12/3/2013, 03:56 PM
There is still a possibility but they need a lot of help at this point. It of course would have to start with Mizzouri beating Auburn in the SEC championship game.. They would then need either OSU or FSU to lose in their conference championship game. I think with enough politicking and ESPIN doing their part could convince poll voters to put Alabama into the MNC game ahead of Mizzouri.

A less likely scenario would be Auburn winning against Mizzouri and then both FSU and OSU losing their games. Then you'd have an Iron Bowl rematch for the MNC. I just don't see it being very likely that both FSU and OSU lose their games this weekend.

That said, I'm all aboard the Duke bandwagon!
Either? IMO, in that scenario, I have to believe that they need both tOSU & FSU to lose before they put the Tide in alongside a team that won Bama's conference, beat the team that just beat Bama, & has the same record as the Tide. If Bama were to get in & Mizzou not (& FWIW, Edwards is saying pretty confidently that Mizzou would vault ahead of Bama w/ a win) after winning the SEC, something would be SEVERELY rotten in Denmark.

SoonerMarkVA
12/3/2013, 04:09 PM

Have to agree. The only chance would be if Okie St. somehow leapfrogs because the human voters don't like the idea of the SEC title game thing, again, and 'Bama getting the backdoor into that game, again. But the computers are killing Poke. Not sure a win over OU would be enough to change that.

Honestly, at this point, I'm pretty much expecting it to be Auburn/'Bama for the NC. FSU and tOSU lose, Auburn beats Mizzou, OSU loses to OU, and there sits Saban with the biggest s**t-eating grin you ever saw.

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2013, 05:02 PM
Have to agree. The only chance would be if Okie St. somehow leapfrogs because the human voters don't like the idea of the SEC title game thing, again, and 'Bama getting the backdoor into that game, again. But the computers are killing Poke. Not sure a win over OU would be enough to change that.

Honestly, at this point, I'm pretty much expecting it to be Auburn/'Bama for the NC. FSU and tOSU lose, Auburn beats Mizzou, OSU loses to OU, and there sits Saban with the biggest s**t-eating grin you ever saw.

You putting money on Duke? ;) Pokes cannot get in. They would not pass Bama or the winner of the SEC CCG. The voters would have no trouble with an all SEC title game. But even if they did, MSU could jump to Pokes by beating #2 tOSU. Pokes get little boost by beating us just to get co-champ of a perceived weak big12.

OU_Sooners75
12/3/2013, 11:36 PM
So I have a question for those like frag mag that thinks tOSU doesn't deserve a shot if they beat Michigan State.

As of this year and arguably last year the Big 12 is perceived to be about as weak as the Big 10.

That being said, if OU was on a 24 game winning streak would you think OU deserved a shot at a BCS title if they are undefeated after all their regular season games had been played?

True, tOSU hasn't been impressive nor has their schedule. But you cannot fault a team for winning every game that is placed in front of them.

OU_Sooners75
12/3/2013, 11:41 PM

Sorry but if Missouri beats Auburn and tOSU loses, Missouri would be in before Alabama.

How bad would the media look I they were to lobby Alabama into the BCS title over the SEC champion?

They couldn't use the Bama is in the SEC and Missouri isn't argument.

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2013, 11:59 PM
So I have a question for those like frag mag that thinks tOSU doesn't deserve a shot if they beat Michigan State.

As of this year and arguably last year the Big 12 is perceived to be about as weak as the Big 10.

That being said, if OU was on a 24 game winning streak would you think OU deserved a shot at a BCS title if they are undefeated after all their regular season games had been played?

True, tOSU hasn't been impressive nor has their schedule. But you cannot fault a team for winning every game that is placed in front of them.

I'm not one of those to doubt tOSU's cred if they win Saturday. I think they would deserve to go. So of course, I'd say OU should go if they we're undefeated this season (no need to go back to last season). I just question one of your postulates: that tOSU has not been impressive. They've been impressive in many games this season, just not the last one. Every team has had a game or 2 where they have not looked like world beaters. FSU has probably been most consistent, but they trailed BC in the second half. Bama is next most consistent with a tougher schedule, but they had aTm and, of course, Auburn. tOSU has been up there with consistency and some games were played with a backup QB.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/4/2013, 12:13 AM
I'm not one of those to doubt tOSU's cred if they win Saturday. I think they would deserve to go. So of course, I'd say OU should go if they we're undefeated this season (no need to go back to last season). I just question one of your postulates: that tOSU has not been impressive. They've been impressive in many games this season, just not the last one. Every team has had a game or 2 where they have not looked like world beaters. FSU has probably been most consistent, but they trailed BC in the second half. Bama is next most consistent with a tougher schedule, but they had aTm and, of course, Auburn. tOSU has been up there with consistency and some games were played with a backup QB.

I was just thinking of the mess the 4 team playoff is going to cause with ESPN and the SEC. I just don't see how you can eliminate their bias without moving to an 8 team playoff. None of these teams outside of Alabama has played anyone outside of conference (they played at vatech). Basically its going to be the conference strength strawman.

BoulderSooner79
12/4/2013, 12:33 AM
I was just thinking of the mess the 4 team playoff is going to cause with ESPN and the SEC. I just don't see how you can eliminate their bias without moving to an 8 team playoff. None of these teams outside of Alabama has played anyone outside of conference (they played at vatech). Basically its going to be the conference strength strawman.

Truth. Bama and FSU are the only 2 teams that have been consistently dominant this season and I don't see any SEC bias there. But the fact that all the attention is on SEC teams for that 2nd spot now that Bama has lost is pure bias. Auburn has gotten incredible breaks the last 2 weeks and Mizzou got lucky on schedule. I think South Carolina is better than both those teams, but it didn't work out for them (or Bama). I don't think Auburn, Mizzou or SC is any better than tOSU or Stanford. And we really need the big12 to step up and it might as well be OU :)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/4/2013, 12:40 AM
Truth. Bama and FSU are the only 2 teams that have been consistently dominant this season and I don't see any SEC bias there. But the fact that all the attention is on SEC teams for that 2nd spot now that Bama has lost is pure bias. Auburn has gotten incredible breaks the last 2 weeks and Mizzou got lucky on schedule. I think South Carolina is better than both those teams, but it didn't work out for them (or Bama). I don't think Auburn, Mizzou or SC is any better than tOSU or Stanford. And we really need the big12 to step up and it might as well be OU :)

We upgraded our team everywhere but QB this year. Assuming that we can find a QB, we should be back in the thick of things next year and the year after. As for the SEC, I just don't think that the state of Alabama can continue producing the talent that it has over the last 3-4 years. Once they get back to having to fight it out in other people's states, they are going to lose some shine.

Jacie
12/4/2013, 07:04 AM
Pac-12 had their chance but neither contender managed to remain unbeaten, same for BU and OSU.

Ohio State, if they win this week, deserves to be there.

Going undefeated in any conference is no joke and not something that happens all that often.

soonerboomer93
12/4/2013, 01:44 PM

No...they...don't!

Everyone on their schedule

jkjsooner
12/4/2013, 03:24 PM
Everyone on their schedule

Bingo.

And I would say to Stormchaser, who cares if they're the least deserving undefeated team in the last decade? They're still more deserving than any one loss team and that is all that matters.

Skysooner
12/8/2013, 12:58 PM
No...they...don't!

Just to show things work out. If OSU had beaten MSU, they would have been undefeated. It worked out like it should have though. I didn't think they would win it, and they were pretty well manhandled early and late. I am looking forward to FSU-Auburn and after this year it won't matter anymore.