11/30/2013, 11:06 PM
James Franklin is an OU legacy. gah.

tycat947
11/30/2013, 11:15 PM
There's no way in hell Johnny Jackass deserves to be in the Heisman talk

Thankfully!!!

lexsooner
11/30/2013, 11:48 PM
Manziel is a great college football player. But thankfully opponents have figured out how to defend him this season. He will be earning his millions in the NFL next season. I just hope his nicknames go away. I am tired of ESPNers trying to be cute with his name - Jonathan Pigskin, etc. Yeah, yeah, we get it. Not cute, just tiresome.

Soonerwake
12/1/2013, 01:59 AM
I am gonna say it, as much as I dislike Manziel. He is obviously still hurt, and is playing that way. Look at the numbers before you say crap like that....

stoopified
12/1/2013, 09:14 AM
I luv watching Jonny Cash get his *** beat

Soonerjeepman
12/1/2013, 09:31 AM
I luv watching Jonny Cash get his *** beat

yup...but his numbers are crazy...

OU_Sooners75
12/1/2013, 11:15 AM
James Franklin is an OU legacy. gah.

Stoops hates legacy players...manning, franklin, and a couple others.

Oh wait there is Shepard and Thompson.

OU_Sooners75
12/1/2013, 11:16 AM
I am gonna say it, as much as I dislike Manziel. He is obviously still hurt, and is playing that way. Look at the numbers before you say crap like that....

Look at the numbers? Okay. Take Mike Evans away from Manziel and Manziel is very average. Aka last night.

picasso
12/1/2013, 11:41 AM
It was funny seeing the Mizzou players boying up with him afterwards.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2013, 12:06 PM

Franklin was in Blake Bell's class and it doesn't even look like we offered him.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/1/2013, 12:47 PM
nm

picasso
12/1/2013, 01:54 PM
Franklin was in Blake Bell's class and it doesn't even look like we offered him.
Is he really that good though?

bluedogok
12/1/2013, 03:29 PM
Is he really that good though?
Which one?

DrZaius
12/1/2013, 07:18 PM

Maybe Stoops only like legacy's in orange.

aurorasooner
12/1/2013, 09:13 PM
Hard to believe that Mizzou is playing for an SEC championship before aTm, especially with all the aTm and Johnny Cash hype. I'll be rooting for them against the Gulf aggies.

bluedogok
12/1/2013, 09:26 PM
Hard to believe that Mizzou is playing for an SEC championship before aTm, especially with all the aTm and Johnny Cash hype. I'll be rooting for them against the Gulf aggies.
Not too difficult, Mizzou is in the SEC East. They don't have to face Alabama, Auburn and LSU every season.

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2013, 10:43 PM
Not too difficult, Mizzou is in the SEC East. They don't have to face Alabama, Auburn and LSU every season.

If they continue to win the SEC east they will. :cocksure:

picasso
12/1/2013, 10:56 PM
Which one?

Hey-o!

Salt City Sooner
12/2/2013, 02:53 AM
Yesterday was Mizzou's one & only win against a team that's currently ranked in the coaches poll, yet they're heading to the SEC title game. I think I'll take the under on how many times that stat is brought up on ESPN.

Mac94
12/2/2013, 08:23 AM
Yesterday was Mizzou's one & only win against a team that's currently ranked in the coaches poll, yet they're heading to the SEC title game. I think I'll take the under on how many times that stat is brought up on ESPN.

Two teams are ranked in the current BCS .. Geogia and A&M. Mizzou, though, goes because someone had to win the East and S. Carolina choked away the chance losing to Tennessee. The East was way down this season .... kind of like the old Big-12 north was a semi train wreck for awhile.

swardboy
12/2/2013, 08:27 AM
Two teams are ranked in the current BCS .. Geogia and A&M. Mizzou, though, goes because someone had to win the East and S. Carolina choked away the chance losing to Tennessee. The East was way down this season .... kind of like the old Big-12 north was a semi train wreck for awhile.

For a while?

Mac94
12/2/2013, 08:27 AM
And Florida St makes it into the ACC title game by beating only one team in the current BCS ... Ohio St makes it to the Big-10 and only beat one ... Michigan St plays them in the championship game and they beat no one in the current BCS rankings. We can play this game with every team going into championship weekend.

Mac94
12/2/2013, 08:38 AM
I think an interesting academic discussion is for the future and how a selection committee would handle this senario in the future 4 team playoff. Based soley on rankings the Bama loss would pretty much guarantee them a playoff spot siting at #4 with no chance to lose this weekend. How would a committee handle Bama?

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2013, 10:09 AM
I think an interesting academic discussion is for the future and how a selection committee would handle this senario in the future 4 team playoff. Based soley on rankings the Bama loss would pretty much guarantee them a playoff spot siting at #4 with no chance to lose this weekend. How would a committee handle Bama?

Bama would be in or the committee would not be made of "experts"

Mac94
12/2/2013, 10:21 AM

But it is interesting that a loss would guarantee a playoff spot. And Bama's lock would be based only on perception and not anything else. Why would a one loss Bama team that didn't win it's division let alone conference deserve a spot over (hypothetically) a one loss big-12 conferecne champ oSu? Both would have two wins over BCS ranked opponents ... Bama would have the "better" loss but oSU would have a conference championship. Both played Mississippi St ... oSu won 21-3 ... Bama won 20-7. Why would Bama automatically get the nod? Just because they're Bama?

And if Mizzou beats Auburn does that mean Bama would get in ahead of the team that won the SEC West and beat them head to head? We penalize Auburn for beating Bama and playing an extra game?

It makes for an interesting discussion of how this committee thing will work and what will be weighed in their eyes.

FaninAma
12/2/2013, 10:22 AM
I disagree. If Okie State beats OU, God forbid, Okie State should go over Bama. Osu would have wins over a top 10 team and 2 other top 25 teams. Bama would have wins over LSU and a rapidly fading Texas A& M team.i

KantoSooner
12/2/2013, 10:25 AM
I find it amusing that two middle tier Big 12 schools have been doing a pretty good job of hanging with those mighty SEC teams. And that it is quite likely that no one from the SEC will go to the natl championship game....other than to sit in the stands. I also am made happy by Oregon's collapse.
Schadenfreude! It's a way of life!

Mac94
12/2/2013, 10:41 AM
I find it amusing that two middle tier Big 12 schools have been doing a pretty good job of hanging with those mighty SEC teams.
As a fan and alum of one of those two schools ... no complaints here, lol.

And that it is quite likely that no one from the SEC will go to the natl championship game....other than to sit in the stands.
That will depend on the Ohio St. - Michigan St. game. Spartans win and an SEC team is in. heck ... there is some debate on if a one loss Auburn team if it is impressive on Saturday might leap frog Ohio St even if the Buckeyes win. Don't think that will or should happen ... but the talk is there.

I also am made happy by Oregon's collapse.
Ditto.

badger
12/2/2013, 11:01 AM
I really, really hope that tOSU and FSU do the rest of the country a solid and win this weekend. Auburn and Mizzou both have good teams and any other year (that Bammer backpedaled in) they'd be in, but the SEC must suffer like the rest of us occasionally and sit a title game out.

Sorry, Barner and Misery, but you have to pay for the SEC's longstanding dominance and take one for the "team." Can I get an SEC chant outta you now? Because if you were from any other conference, I'd love to see you jump pathetic Ohio State

KantoSooner
12/2/2013, 11:28 AM
See? This is going to work out great. SEC doesn't get to go and FSU lays a biblical beat down on tOSU. Seriously, FSU might beat Ohio State by 70 points; with Winston 'Willie' Jameis on the bench for the entire second half. Urbie's heart might completely stop on the sideline and college football would have an epic day.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2013, 11:45 AM
I don't know how many of you have heard, but Gary Danielson, I believe this morning, made a comment on the radio about Mizzou and aTm ruining the SEC..Said they have made the conference's past claims of greatness look weak.. Poor guy.

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2013, 11:53 AM
But it is interesting that a loss would guarantee a playoff spot. And Bama's lock would be based only on perception and not anything else. Why would a one loss Bama team that didn't win it's division let alone conference deserve a spot over (hypothetically) a one loss big-12 conferecne champ oSu? Both would have two wins over BCS ranked opponents ... Bama would have the "better" loss but oSU would have a conference championship. Both played Mississippi St ... oSu won 21-3 ... Bama won 20-7. Why would Bama automatically get the nod? Just because they're Bama?

And if Mizzou beats Auburn does that mean Bama would get in ahead of the team that won the SEC West and beat them head to head? We penalize Auburn for beating Bama and playing an extra game?

It makes for an interesting discussion of how this committee thing will work and what will be weighed in their eyes.

I think it would be similar to OU in '03. Bama had earned a top 4 spot before the last game was played. They crushed every other team they played and should have beaten Auburn. I'm just guessing the committee with 4 slots to work with won't use the same criteria as we're used to with the BCS formula, such as # losses and who lost more recently. Just IMO, we'll see soon enough.

jkjsooner
12/2/2013, 11:58 AM

That has been an issue ever since the conference championship games were started. It hasn't really worked out to harm the team in the championship game but the possibility has been there several times - including with us and Texas in 2004 where we beat them but they might have gone to the title game had we lost the conference championship game (with an Auburn loss).

As for Bama's loss securing their way into a hypothetical playoff since they don't have to risk a loss in the championship game, I think that's a stretch. It's hard to argue that a loss to Auburn is better than a win against Auburn and a loss to Missouri.

jkjsooner
12/2/2013, 12:09 PM
And Florida St makes it into the ACC title game by beating only one team in the current BCS ... Ohio St makes it to the Big-10 and only beat one ... Michigan St plays them in the championship game and they beat no one in the current BCS rankings. We can play this game with every team going into championship weekend.

You have a point if we're limiting the discussion to the conference championship game.

If we're talking about Missouri's shot at a national title game then I think it's a different argument. It's one thing to go undefeated and only beat one team in the top 25. It's another to have a loss and only beat one team in the top 25. The latter is really weak.

And that brings up one more point. Somehow over the last few years we've lost our perspective on what losses mean in college football. Now we've started concentrating on quality wins without nearly as much emphasis on the losses.

It's almost as if we are now to a point where 2 quality wins and a loss is better than one quality win and no losses. I'm just not sure I agree with that. Ask any coach how hard it is to go undefeated.

If you ask coaches which is easier to do I'd bet most will say #1.

1. Play 3 top 25 teams and make it through the season with only one loss.
2. Play 1 top 25 team and make it through the season undefeated.

jkjsooner
12/2/2013, 12:14 PM
I find it amusing that two middle tier Big 12 schools have been doing a pretty good job of hanging with those mighty SEC teams. And that it is quite likely that no one from the SEC will go to the natl championship game....other than to sit in the stands. I also am made happy by Oregon's collapse.
Schadenfreude! It's a way of life!

The only thing that would have made it better is if A&M would have won the SEC west. Can you imagine the heads exploding with an A&M vs Missouri SEC championship game?

Anyway, your point is well taken and seems to be ignored by the media and SEC homers. I guess we're lead to believe that A&M (last year) and Missouri all of a sudden improved drastically from their Big 12 days. Maybe you can make that argument about A&M but not Missouri.

Mac94
12/2/2013, 12:18 PM
It's almost as if we are now to a point where 2 quality wins and a loss is better than one quality win and no losses. I'm just not sure I agree with that. Ask any coach how hard it is to go undefeated.

True ... but part of the problem with college football is there is really no good way to compare teams across conferences. There are way to few OOC games, let alone OOC games between major conferences ... to really make any comparision. Take the Pac-12 and Stanford. If they win the championship game they'll finish 11-2 ... highly ranked ... and out of the MNC picture. Do we know that FSU, Ohio St., and/or the SEC champion is automatically better than Stanford? Yes, Stanford will have two losses but in a conference that's much different than the SEC, ACC, Big-10, etc. How do we know FSU would have done better in the same schedule? To me, a playoff of only conference champions makes sense. Let the conferecne races be a sort of round robin tournament to crown a champion to send to the playoffs.

jkjsooner
12/2/2013, 12:22 PM
True ... but part of the problem with college football is there is really no good way to compare teams across conferences. There are way to few OOC games, let alone OOC games between major conferences ... to really make any comparision. Take the Pac-12 and Stanford. If they win the championship game they'll finish 11-2 ... highly ranked ... and out of the MNC picture. Do we know that FSU, Ohio St., and/or the SEC champion is automatically better than Stanford?

It's not about who is better. It's about who earned it - or it used to be.

It's no different than a loss in a playoff. Many times the best two teams don't make the Super Bowl but the two who earned it are there.

As for right now, in college football the playoffs are the regular season. Stanford might be the best team in the country but they didn't earn their way into the title game.

Mac94
12/2/2013, 12:29 PM
True ... but what does it mean to "earn" a spot? No one here is arguing that N. illinois be given a shot just because they are undefeated ... so not losing a game isn't the only measurement of "earning" a shot. IT could just as easily be said that a team that wins a power conference championship has earned a shot.

badger
12/2/2013, 12:42 PM
I don't know how many of you have heard, but Gary Danielson, I believe this morning, made a comment on the radio about Mizzou and aTm ruining the SEC..Said they have made the conference's past claims of greatness look weak.. Poor guy.

I'm not going to go that far, as much as it would make me giggle. However, Texas A&M's "dream season" last year and Mizzou's "dream season" this year do make a case that pretty much everyone can win in the SEC.

At the same time, Florida five years removed from a title this year and Auburn two years removed from a title last year showed that anyone can lose, too. Can LSU please be next?

UteSooner
12/2/2013, 12:42 PM
I will laugh my a** off if Missouri wins the SEC.

badger
12/2/2013, 12:44 PM

Remember when they were part of the "forgotten five" of the Big 12, or thought they were going to the Big Ten instead of Nebraska?

Mac94
12/2/2013, 12:51 PM
I'm not going to go that far, as much as it would make me giggle. However, Texas A&M's "dream season" last year and Mizzou's "dream season" this year do make a case that pretty much everyone can win in the SEC.

At the same time, Florida five years removed from a title this year and Auburn two years removed from a title last year showed that anyone can lose, too. Can LSU please be next?

What makes the SEC is that it isn't a conference that is dependent on one or two "name" schools to be good. The SEC is made up of a large number of "state" schools that everyone knows and has some history. Tennessee and Florida suck right now ... but large state schools Mizzou and S. Carolina take up the slack. Back when Bama was down Florida and Tennessee were dominate nationally. Arkansas may be up and Auburn down ... or vise versa ... but with the number of large schools ... Bama, LSU, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, S. Carolina, Mizzou, Tennessee ... not all are going to be down so a nationally recognized team will emerge.

birddog
12/2/2013, 12:56 PM
Sorry but Arkansas will never be on top. Never have been, never will. Their inferiority complex rivals osu but I do get your point.

Soonerjeepman
12/2/2013, 01:02 PM

it will be unbearable up here...kind a like if osu wins the big 12....

Mac94
12/2/2013, 01:03 PM
I include Arkansas becuase 1) they are the main, most popular school in their state, and 2) they have won the SEC west a few times.

The point is ... the SEC has the key, most popular school (Florida and S. Carolina are up for debate with FSU and Clemson) in 10 states; Florida, Georgia, S. Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, and Mississippi. And pretty much all of them (ok ... exclude Kentucky) are football crazy states. that gives the conferecne alot of leeway ... it doesn't need one specific school(or two) to be good to be relevent.

badger
12/2/2013, 01:06 PM
it will be unbearable up here...kind a like if osu wins the big 12....

If I haven't said it enough already, THANK YOU WEST VIRGINIA. Here is a raccoon. Turn it into a hat if you want.
http://www.minnesotawildanimalmanagement.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/raccoon1.jpg
At least we are discussing the possibility of them being unbearable about the Big 12. Can you imagine what it would be like if they were in the national title discussion? Uggggh, 2011 was bad enough

jkjsooner
12/2/2013, 01:59 PM
True ... but what does it mean to "earn" a spot? No one here is arguing that N. illinois be given a shot just because they are undefeated ... so not losing a game isn't the only measurement of "earning" a shot. IT could just as easily be said that a team that wins a power conference championship has earned a shot.

Of course it's hard to say. People will have different opinions. I would just hope that the conversation starts with trying to determine who you think earned their way into the title game rather than who is the best team. Then you can argue what that means.

And I agree with your point about too few OOC games to get a good comparison.

Salt City Sooner
12/2/2013, 02:20 PM
Exactly the point of my previous post. I dare anyone to show me anybody in the media using the phrase "gauntlet ACC/B10 schedule", yet I'd dare those same people to turn on a TV & make it through a single day WITHOUT hearing the same or a similar notion about how tough SEC slates are.

UteSooner
12/2/2013, 06:39 PM
Tennessee and Florida suck right now ... but large state schools Mizzou and S. Carolina take up the slack.

Missouri winning the conference won't be a sign of strength or depth. It will be embarrassing.

tycat947
12/2/2013, 07:03 PM
Missouri winning the conference won't be a sign of strength or depth. It will be embarrassing.

Yeah, they could never win the Big 12 while a member!

aurorasooner
12/4/2013, 09:40 PM
Yeah, they could never win the Big 12 while a member! If Mizzou beats Auburn on Sat and Michigan State beats the Buckeyes, then the Corn and a$m fans will go on suicide watch, especially the Corn fans because they haven't even sniffed a BIG title.... and w/o Johnny Cash, a$m would be average at best. BTW, I read yesterday that a$m is reportedly upped Sumlin's salary to around 5 mil/yr.
Geez, that was bad, bad conference management letting Mizzou go with all those TVs in the St.Louis and KC area. I think the implosion of the Big 12 conference will be studied in the future by business schools as a major fail, and those school officials, especially at UT and OU will be seen as completely incompetent conference administrators. Just sad.

Mac94
12/5/2013, 09:16 AM
If Mizzou beats Auburn on Sat and Michigan State beats the Buckeyes, then the Corn and a$m fans will go on suicide watch, especially the Corn fans because they haven't even sniffed a BIG title.... and w/o Johnny Cash, a$m would be average at best. BTW, I read yesterday that a$m is reportedly upped Sumlin's salary to around 5 mil/yr.

Lol ... I'll onyt speak for myself but if Mizzou wins he SEC ... all props to them ... I've got no problem with them. And I agree that without Manziel we would have been very average ... we kind of have seen that with Johnny's injury the last two games. But ... Sumlin has been recruiting lights out for us so what we've been able to do with johnny has been an important bridge into the SEC. It's allowed us to compete while the coaches get kids into the program that will carry us forward.

Geez, that was bad, bad conference management letting Mizzou go with all those TVs in the St.Louis and KC area. I think the implosion of the Big 12 conference will be studied in the future by business schools as a major fail, and those school officials, especially at UT and OU will be seen as completely incompetent conference administrators. Just sad.

The Big-12 as a concept was good ... but it sowed the seeds of it's failure early on. When the league formed most had Nebraska fatigue ... so most of the conferecne teamed with Texas to set the rules to cut Nebraska down to size. But ... that set in motion the collapse of one of the three major progames the Big-12 had. And, I still think the loss of one of the most marketable national rivalry games in OU-Nebraska was another mistake. It cost the league a nationally known game that took a backseat to no other game in the country. Then over time the league began to be more and more Texas centered ... both in regards to the state in general and in regards to the University of specifically. It sowed the seeds of discontent in Nebraska and Missouri that would lead them to other conferences when the opportunity came.

picasso
12/5/2013, 11:09 AM
Yes, dominate!

thecrimsoncrusader
12/5/2013, 12:28 PM
Actually, the SEC is about Alabama.