PDA

View Full Version : I take it this is legal, so the real question then . . .

Jacie
11/27/2013, 08:03 PM
. . . is it ethical?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/minnesota-uses-dramatic-gopher-video-distract-kickers-173821502--ncaaf.html

Minnesota uses ‘dramatic gopher’ video to distract kickers

Minnesota has resorted to one of the Internet's funniest memes as a new way to distract kickers.

Introducing the dramatic gopher.

You’ve probably seen his video on YouTube. It’s a gopher that turns quickly to the camera to dramatic music, short but hilarious.

So, Minnesota decided to use a dramatic gopher video during last week’s game against Wisconsin to distract kicker Jack Russell. The plan half-worked as Russell missed a 38-yard attempt but made a 20-yarder.

A Minnesota spokesperson told BTN.com that the dramatic gopher video had been ready to go since the Big Ten opener against Iowa, but Saturday was the first time an opponent had tried a field goal facing the video board. The school plans to use it from here on out.

Didn't OU's basketball mascot, Top Dawg, get in trouble for holding a pic of a Playboy pinup in the line-of-site of an opposing team's free throw shooter?

Peeb
11/27/2013, 08:26 PM
Kinda funny.
Kinda lame.

Overall- I'd vote: nah, cut that out.

Mazeppa
11/27/2013, 11:36 PM
Who cares it's b1g

Ruf/Nek7
11/29/2013, 10:52 AM
What's really at question is why the kickers parents would name him Jack Russell. I wonder how many times he was called a terrier?

KantoSooner
11/29/2013, 11:13 AM
I'm not going to bother looking it up, but has Minnesota been close enough in games played in the last 75 years for a kick to matter? Most of the time, they seem to be losing 80-0 or so. The last time they were a contender was when Bud was an assistant.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/29/2013, 11:24 AM
Minnesota is having one of the best seasons for them in years..were ranked top 25 for a bit..

olevetonahill
11/29/2013, 11:29 AM
Minnesota is having one of the best seasons for them in years..were ranked top 25 for a bit..

Proud for em. But is that "Legal" ?
Dont the Pokes have to quit spankin their wall when the other teams O is on the field?
Thos stuff like that was controlled By the NCAA

oudivesherpa
11/29/2013, 11:37 AM
Dont the Pokes have to quit spankin their wall when the other teams O is on the field?

You never know about them Pokes and what they are spanking.

KantoSooner
11/29/2013, 12:17 PM
STEP, my hyperbole aside, UofM remains a very bad football team. Which is kind of weird since Ole and Sven and their seven brothers from Lake Winnemuka had to pull the plows themselves when the horse died, doncha know? And Uff Dah! dere's dat Polanski boy from around White Bear Lake who's just as quick as can be. An dere oughta be at least one or two of dem LaPierres from Mankato; and you're know dey're bad news coming in twos. Heck! We oughta be able to scare up a team and play some football (before hockey season and ice fishing starts, at least).

SoonerinSouthlake
11/29/2013, 01:09 PM
I think that's really funny. Cant go wrong with animal humor.

If they make that illegal itd be a shame. Leave some personality in the game!

badger
11/29/2013, 01:28 PM
it's funny, but i wouldn't be surprised if the school discuss it in offseason meetings

bluedogok
11/29/2013, 01:54 PM
I think it is usually the conferences that control that kind of stuff.

Mazeppa
11/30/2013, 01:22 AM
I think that's really funny. Cant go wrong with animal humor.

If they make that illegal itd be a shame. Leave some personality in the game!

Texas has their own animal humor:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2vb0z8h.jpg

Mazeppa
11/30/2013, 01:30 AM
and so does osu:

http://i39.tinypic.com/znkcpf.jpg

soonergirlNeugene
11/30/2013, 07:47 PM
I kinda hope this doesn't proliferate. Amusing this once, but seems like a loud gimmick better suited for arena football.