PDA

View Full Version : Statistics continued

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/27/2013, 02:00 PM
So I've still got quite a bit of crap to go through, but I decided to add in a "quality of competition component" since that was a big problem last time. It takes forever to compile, but the results are interesting to say the least. One thing that is coming up in comparing 2011 to 2012 is just how different the philosophy of Mike and Brent was.

Tidbit #1

2011 we faced the #2, #4, #7 ranked passing offenses. 2 went above their season averages and we lost all 3 games (our only 3 losses btw)
2012 we faced the #2, #4, #7 ranked passing offenses. 0 went above their season averages and we won all 3 games

Tidbit #2
Notes - I compiled a std deviation off of the entire average of college athletics for rush yds and then for pass yds. So based on this you can see outliers for our defense. 1 standard deviation below an opponent's avg = major stop. 1 standard deviation above = major collapse.

2011 - Rush Defense 7 Major Stops, 1 Major Collapse. Pass Defense 4 Major Stops, 3 Major Collapses
2012 - Rush Defense 4 Major Stops, 2 Major Collapses. Pass Defense 4 Major Stops, 0 Major Collapses

These major collapses corresponded to all 3 losses in 2011. We survived one passing collapse against aTm.
In 2012, we won at WV and lost against aTm. The other 2 losses we held them right at their averages but turnovers killed us.

Anyway, early days in compiling this but it looks like the following hypothesis are starting to come out:

1. BV's defenses had issues when the opposing team reached a certain overall level of offensive talent. I think a lot of this had to do with how much help players had.
2. Mike on the other hand seems to be having issues when the opposing team has a player that is better than any of our defenders. Basically, there is very little help anywhere.
3. If I were a pro team, I'd love Mike's D over Brent's just for the fact that it gives you a true quality gauge of how good individuals are

OkieThunderLion
11/27/2013, 10:19 PM
Damn shame we couldn't keep both. Magic as a combo. Balanced out each other.