PDA

View Full Version : Josh's best game as an OC.

LakeRat
11/25/2013, 05:13 PM
IMO this was his best game. Some amazing wrinkles, found some stuff that was working, and stuck with it.

I have been pretty hard on this coaching staffs job this year, A+ on this game.

TheUnnamedSooner
11/25/2013, 05:15 PM
It helps when plays are executed well, oline is owning the line of scrimmage, etc.

ashley
11/25/2013, 05:17 PM
Good gosh a might. It"s the QB. That is what I have been saying all year. It's to hard to call good plays with a bad one.

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2013, 05:25 PM
When plays work: play calling good
When plays don't work: play calling bad

I'm detecting a rule here: Don't play really good teams because plays are less likely to work and might reflect badly on your scheme or play calling.
Corollary: Josh might be in for less than A+ grade in Stillwater.

ashley
11/25/2013, 05:30 PM
When plays work: play calling good
When plays don't work: play calling bad

I'm detecting a rule here: Don't play really good teams because plays are less likely to work and might reflect badly on your scheme or play calling.
Corollary: Josh might be in for less than A+ grade in Stillwater.

Do you make good sense or not?

8timechamps
11/25/2013, 05:30 PM
Good gosh a might. It"s the QB. That is what I have been saying all year. It's to hard to call good plays with a bad one.

I wouldn't call Blake a bad QB, he did manage to win on the road in South Bend. However, it should be clear to anyone that's questioned the decision that Knight is the better option.

It's clear to me that Josh is much more comfortable calling plays when Knight is in the game. That makes since, considering that's the plan they came into the season expecting to implement.

Soonerwake
11/25/2013, 05:51 PM
Wait a minute.. I have been hearing all year from some of you that Heupel only want to call pass plays, that he is only comfortable with the spread offense..

So, which is it?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2013, 05:53 PM
He loves the boot.

cvsooner
11/25/2013, 05:55 PM
The difference between the two is Bell's skill set is much easier to defend, especially if he's not throwing well--or can be pressured into throwing poorly--it's just much easier on the defense to stop us in our tracks.

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2013, 05:58 PM
Do you make good sense or not?

I know I'm being a butthead. Howwever, Josh could plan and call his best game against OSU and still come up short because they are just better. But no one is going to proclaim that if it happens, it'll be quite the opposite. But I get that our fans don't want to accept that the opposition is just better and there is nothing wrong with that - but it doesn't change the truth either :black_eyed:

OSU has a senior laden defense that is playing well that will go against our FR QB with less than 1/2 a season worth of starts. They're holding the cards and Josh has his work cut out for him.

8timechamps
11/25/2013, 06:03 PM
Wait a minute.. I have been hearing all year from some of you that Heupel only want to call pass plays, that he is only comfortable with the spread offense..

So, which is it?

Haven't heard that from me. Then again, I've never been on the "Fur Hypul" bandwagon.

Soonerwake
11/25/2013, 06:05 PM
This year, OSU is better than us. We are too young an inexperienced at too many key positions. But, not to the point where we don't have a chance. A good game plan and execution could make it a game..

Next year we have a chance to be very good, if we get good QB play..

Soonerwake
11/25/2013, 06:06 PM
He loves the boot.

No, you are the one and only boot lover.. Funny, I ran across the ole boot in the closet a couple of days ago. Maybe the boot can come out of the closet like you did STEP..

King Crimson
11/25/2013, 06:12 PM
i've been a little concerned about josh but my hat is off to him, knight, and the offense for this game.

soonerfan69
11/25/2013, 06:19 PM
He loves the boot.

I hope Stoops gives it to him too

Scott D
11/25/2013, 06:39 PM
I was impressed with not wanting to change the play every play 5 seconds before the play clock was going to run out.

C&CDean
11/25/2013, 06:51 PM
Without being too ugly about it, people who think our offensive woes are Josh Heupel's fault and he should be fired are ****ing retards. Of the highest order. Our guys - especially the O-line and QB finally executed like they can. That's it. Period.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/25/2013, 06:55 PM
I was impressed with not wanting to change the play every play 5 seconds before the play clock was going to run out.That IS maddening/tiring.

soonerfan69
11/25/2013, 06:55 PM
When you don't exploit the middle of the field on crossing patterns, slants and seam routes and keep throwing the ball sideways on those stupid wr screens and 2-5 yd passes over and over and over that's what's retarded and the coaches fault for calling those plays

C&CDean
11/25/2013, 07:14 PM
When you don't exploit the middle of the field on crossing patterns, slants and seam routes and keep throwing the ball sideways on those stupid wr screens and 2-5 yd passes over and over and over that's what's retarded and the coaches fault for calling those plays

Go put in your application at OU then. I'm sure you'll do fine. Not.

They run some stuff you don't like huh? Tough ****. They run some stuff I don't care for either. Tough **** again.

Sometimes it's the QB's job to progress through his reads and not just panic and throw it to the first guy he sees. We've been doing that a lot this year. It's also hard to progress through your reads when you're running for your life cause the O-line whiffed. We've also been doing that a lot this year. Did I mention injuries? Well consider it mentioned.

The point is our offensive coaching philosophy hasn't/didn't change vs. K-State. The players made plays. And made the coaches look good instead of like buffoons. Players play.

soonerfan69
11/25/2013, 07:23 PM
They run a bunch of stuff the opposition knows they are going to run that's the problem, there is no creativity and the ingame adjustments are pathetic most of the time, so go on and keep giving your boy a hand because it's not the OC job to call some slants and quick seam routes or ect. when your getting beat on the line right?

olevetonahill
11/25/2013, 07:27 PM
He loves the boot.

Heh.

cvsooner
11/25/2013, 08:44 PM
Without being too ugly about it, people who think our offensive woes are Josh Heupel's fault and he should be fired are ****ing retards. Of the highest order. Our guys - especially the O-line and QB finally executed like they can. That's it. Period.
Now if they can just do that two more times this season....we might have a chance of racking up two more wins.

Considering the inexperience and injuries, much of this season has been some of Stoops' best coaching jobs...Texas and Baylor games notwithstanding.

sooneron
11/25/2013, 10:26 PM

Really? I recall two time outs in a row. Actually, there were three in the course of 15 sec. There was a lot of confusion on offense. Calling out those in charge of the game is not weak. This was a good, but not really good team in Manhattan. Josh did better today, but he earns his $ in 12 days.

8timechamps
11/26/2013, 01:26 AM
They run a bunch of stuff the opposition knows they are going to run that's the problem, there is no creativity and the ingame adjustments are pathetic most of the time, so go on and keep giving your boy a hand because it's not the OC job to call some slants and quick seam routes or ect. when your getting beat on the line right?

Alabama runs a lot of stuff the opposition knows is coming. There's nothing new under the sun. At the end of the day, the players play.

The criticism of Heupel this year has been by and large unwarranted. But, that's how our fan-base operates. Again, nothing new.

swardboy
11/26/2013, 08:55 AM
Playuhs puhlay!!!!!!!!!!!!

C&CDean
11/26/2013, 09:24 AM
Playuhs puhlay!!!!!!!!!!!!

****in' A.

It's easy to assume just because we called 2-3 timeouts in a row that it's a coach's fault but that's (and I've said it a million times) just being intelectually lazy. Some guy wants a bunch of slants over the middle. That will solve all our woes. Uh, yeah, OK. Meh.

I like the way the team stepped up after the two knuckleheads got the boot. Hopefully they'll continue and give OSU their comeuppance.

yankee
11/26/2013, 09:52 AM
It never has all been on Heupel or the coaches. The players have s*** the bed on numerous occasions this season, and they're the ones out on the field.

But to place all the blame on the players and excuse the coaches is just putting your head in the sand. We looked completely unprepared for the Texas game, and that's on the coaches. Not to mention the head-scratching play calling.

C&CDean
11/26/2013, 10:18 AM
It never has all been on Heupel or the coaches. The players have s*** the bed on numerous occasions this season, and they're the ones out on the field.

But to place all the blame on the players and excuse the coaches is just putting your head in the sand. We looked completely unprepared for the Texas game, and that's on the coaches. Not to mention the head-scratching play calling.

Oh I'm with you 100%. There's enough blame to go all around, but every time one of our offensive players pulls a boner - and I hear "**** you Josh Heupel it makes me wanna scream. You can say it if it's his fault, but he's called some pretty solid games and our players have made him look really, really bad. JH is not a bad coach. He's not a great coach either. He's good enough for us to win though if the players step up and do their jobs.

sooneron
11/26/2013, 10:26 AM
I'll give him one thing, he and the offense are at least, (obamafest peeps will love this) "evolving". The predictability of run on first down has been changed up a bit with some pass option.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2013, 01:35 PM
There's also the fact that the 2 teams that beat us were better than us. There was no way we win those games with Bell at QB. Likewise, there is no way we win those games with Knight at QB if his passing ability is the same as the first 3 games. I'm not saying the games were optimal from either the OC or the players, but we didn't have enough weapons to win unless the other teams played poorly.

C&CDean
11/26/2013, 01:40 PM
There's also the fact that the 2 teams that beat us were better than us. There was no way we win those games with Bell at QB. Likewise, there is no way we win those games with Knight at QB if his passing ability is the same as the first 3 games. I'm not saying the games were optimal from either the OC or the players, but we didn't have enough weapons to win unless the other teams played poorly.

Well except that Texas wasn't/isn't better than us. Our run defense taking the day off cost us that game. Baylor just waxed our asses.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2013, 01:45 PM
Well except that Texas wasn't/isn't better than us. Our run defense taking the day off cost us that game. Baylor just waxed our asses.

Just IMO, of course. I just think UT is a bad matchup for us style-wise with Bell at QB. The matchup is better with Knight, but only if he can throw effectively like he did Saturday. I actually bet the horns in our game because I didn't like the matchup and I wouldn't change my bet in a rematch if Bell were QB.

8timechamps
11/26/2013, 01:57 PM
Correction:

Playuhs Gunna puhlay!!!!!!!!!!!!

8timechamps
11/26/2013, 02:00 PM

I agree. There has certainly been issues with the coaching, but that's true virtually every year. Things like getting a delay of game after coming out of a timeout, that kind of stuff is squarely on the coaching staff. My point was that Heupel hasn't been nearly as bad as many made it sound.