PDA

View Full Version : The inside leverage problem

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/25/2013, 04:42 PM
Against KState, I noticed that our corners kept getting beat with inside leverage. This isn't anything new as I see Pro Corners get beat in it all the time.

Primer -> Corners in man coverage use inside leverage when they have no safety help in the middle of the field. They do this to keep the WR from running a route to the middle of the field and try to get them pinned against the sideline.

What you see on the field -> A corner with inside leverage lines up about 2 yards closer to the ball than the wide receiver. FYI, Neutral equals in front of the receiver (typically in BumpNRun) and outside is 2 yards farther than the ball to get the WR to release inside into the teeth of a zone

The Advantages -> It allows you to cut off any inside routes and entices the WR to the sidelines. This creates a very small window for the QB to throw into and creates a low percentage completion opportunity.

What we saw against KState:

1. The out and up -> Because the corner is on an island, they are forced to close at an angle on the out route. This puts them at a huge disadvantage readjusting to the up route. If you play it conservatively you become susceptible to the hook move after the catch (where the WR catches the ball and does a loop back towards the middle of the field to shed the defender). KState got past Sanchez on this twice. Once with the up move and once with the hook after the catch.

2. The post flag -> This route resembles 2 slants -> one towards the middle of the field and then one back towards the sidelines. The problem with this route is that the defender has to deny the middle of the field and has to move up even with the receiver to do so. Once even, he is at a HUGE disadvantage when the WR runs outside since he is moving forward and is even with the receiver who already has momentum the other way. They got Cortez Johnson and Quentin Hayes with this move.

3. The Skinny Post -> You are supposed to deny the inside release but this is incredibly difficult when the receiver doesn't make his cut until 15 yards downfield. They got Sanchez with this one and he was a 1/4 step slow to break it up. Hayes was sucked forward and they ended up with a TD.

4. The back shoulder vertical -> Inside leverage gives the DB an unfavorable angle to see the QB. This means that they are particularly susceptible to back shoulder throws. They got Colvin with this one on Saturday.

For whatever reason, we left our corners on an island against KState's best receivers using one of the hardest techniques to learn. Hopefully, we can fix some of the problems so that we don't see pokey state using the same things against us on Saturday.

Okie35
11/25/2013, 04:52 PM
We always leave our corners on islands... usually they do well but in most cases its when there is a pass rush.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/25/2013, 04:58 PM
We always leave our corners on islands... usually they do well but in most cases its when there is a pass rush.

Our corners usually have safety help over the top which is why they are normally in neutral or outside leverage. They didn't have it as much in this game because we had to have our safeties stop that stupid option slant. This meant that our safeties were very shallow and we only had one deep in the middle of the field (who was mainly helping with the TE).

Okie35
11/25/2013, 05:00 PM
Our corners usually have safety help over the top which is why they are normally in neutral or outside leverage. They didn't have it as much in this game because we had to have our safeties stop that stupid option slant. This meant that our safeties were very shallow and we only had one deep in the middle of the field (who was mainly helping with the TE).

I was at the game and literally right after I said Hayes is an up and down player he got burnt for a TD.

picasso
11/25/2013, 06:13 PM
We committed to stopping the run and that worked. No?

8timechamps
11/25/2013, 06:34 PM
I was at the game and literally right after I said Hayes is an up and down player he got burnt for a TD.

Hayes had a couple of "uh oh" moments, but if you had been watching the game on TV you have thought he was the worst player on the field. The reality was that he actually had a pretty decent game. I think the focus on stopping the run, combined with trying to limit Colvin's time in the first half, led to the breakdowns.

Scott D
11/25/2013, 06:38 PM
I prefer to think that time put to better use would be praying that Tyler Lockett only has daughters so that 20 years from now we're not talking about another Lockett burning OU deep. Two in a row is enough.

VA Sooner
11/25/2013, 07:04 PM
Hayes had a couple of "uh oh" moments, but if you had been watching the game on TV you have thought he was the worst player on the field. The reality was that he actually had a pretty decent game. I think the focus on stopping the run, combined with trying to limit Colvin's time in the first half, led to the breakdowns.

I've been away for a while... I must have missed something. Limiting Colvin's time? Is he hurt?

8timechamps
11/25/2013, 07:12 PM
I've been away for a while... I must have missed something. Limiting Colvin's time? Is he hurt?

All Stoops would say was that he played "banged up". He didn't play against ISU at all, and it sounded like they really limited his time Saturday against KSU (at least in the first half).

Given the extra week off, he should be good for OSU.