PDA

View Full Version : Can OU still win the Big 12?

nighttrain12
11/23/2013, 11:32 PM
November 28/30:
Tech beats Texas
TCU beats Baylor

December 7th:
OU beats OSU
Texas beats Baylor (or Baylor wins for a 3 way overall tie with OU/OSU/Baylor)

Final conference records:
7-2, OU, OSU, Texas
6-3 Baylor

soonerfan69
11/23/2013, 11:33 PM
No

Okie35
11/23/2013, 11:49 PM
Baylor would have to lose again and we would have to be Oklahoma State. I don't see Baylor losing again.

SoonerInHSV
11/24/2013, 12:18 AM
Mathematically yes, Baylor, Texas, and OSU all have to lose and we have to win out. So if we beat OSU that eliminates one. Baylor and Texas play each other which eliminates two. So the winner of Texas Baylor has to lose to the other team they play to make everybody have two loses. You then end up with a quad champions. Who knows which team would get the BCS game.

The odds on that are only slightly better than winning a 200+ million dollar lottery with a single ticket.

soonercastor
11/24/2013, 12:32 AM
Baylor would have to lose again and we would have to be Oklahoma State. I don't see Baylor losing again.

OSU wins if:
1-beats OU OR
2-Baylor loses at exactly one other game OR
3-Baylor loses both games, Texas beats Tech

Baylor wins if
1-it wins out and OU beats OSU

OU wins if
1- Beats OSU, Texas loses to Tech and Baylor loses out

Soonerus
11/24/2013, 12:34 AM
Tie if the record is the same regardless who beat who...

yermom
11/24/2013, 12:35 AM
there is no way for OU to win outright. there are at least two outcomes where OU splits.

soonercastor
11/24/2013, 12:47 AM
Tie if the record is the same regardless who beat who...

Obviously we're discussing who goes to the Fiesta.

yermom
11/24/2013, 12:57 AM
i think that could end up in style points since the Big 12 lets the BCS rankings decide

OUmillenium
11/24/2013, 01:26 AM
No

this

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2013, 02:37 AM
Gotta go with no.

dennis580
11/24/2013, 10:39 AM
Last year we was co champs with Kansas St. Certainly possible we can be co champs again.

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2013, 10:58 AM
Last year we was co champs with Kansas St. Certainly possible we can be co champs again.

Yes, there are mathematical possibilities. I just can't get past the "OU beats OSU" requirement to even look at what else has to happen.

soonercastor
11/24/2013, 11:09 AM
It's funny how I post all the scenarios up there but people choose to ignore it. The BUS won't even come into play in any of the scenarios

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2013, 11:20 AM
It's funny how I post all the scenarios up there but people choose to ignore it. The BUS won't even come into play in any of the scenarios

What's the BUS?

OU_Sooners75
11/24/2013, 12:09 PM
Best possible scenario is a 4 way tie. But we still wouldn't go to a BCS bowl.

If OU beats OSU
Baylor drops one more and Texas does as well. Then OU, OSU, Baylor, and Texas are tied.

We would have two losses against three of those we are tied with.

OSU would have just one loss.
Texas would have one against OSU. And Baylor would have two.

The BCS birth would come down to OSU and Texas in this scenario. OSU would be going to the Fiesta Bowl.

While OU would be in either the Cotton or Alamo

yermom
11/24/2013, 12:16 PM
As I posted in the other thread, it looks like with that many teams involved it's all about the BCS ranking

soonercastor
11/24/2013, 02:04 PM
Best possible scenario is a 4 way tie. But we still wouldn't go to a BCS bowl.

If OU beats OSU
Baylor drops one more and Texas does as well. Then OU, OSU, Baylor, and Texas are tied.

We would have two losses against three of those we are tied with.

OSU would have just one loss.
Texas would have one against OSU. And Baylor would have two.

The BCS birth would come down to OSU and Texas in this scenario. OSU would be going to the Fiesta Bowl.

While OU would be in either the Cotton or Alamo

No, the best scenario is a split with OSU and we go to the fiesta with the h2h win. This would require Baylor to lose out and Tech to beat Texas. That's the only way we get an automatic bid.
Other three and four way ties scenarios, would have us eliminated early in the process.
Once again the BCS will NOT come into play. All the ties possible at this point gets broken one way or another before it reaches the BCS step.

yermom
11/24/2013, 02:16 PM
you are right, i was thinking it through the right way before, but misread this link the first time.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1546006

OSU lost to WV, which helps them in all the head-to-head record talk.

i don't think there is any way to make the Fiesta, but we could still share the Big 12

8timechamps
11/24/2013, 02:17 PM
No, the best scenario is a split with OSU and we go to the fiesta with the h2h win. This would require Baylor to lose out and Tech to beat Texas. That's the only way we get an automatic bid.
Other three and four way ties scenarios, would have us eliminated early in the process.
Once again the BCS will NOT come into play. All the ties possible at this point gets broken one way or another before it reaches the BCS step.

This is correct.

yermom
11/24/2013, 02:24 PM
i keep forgetting about Baylor, probably because i don't see how they lose to TCU :D

8timechamps
11/24/2013, 02:46 PM
i keep forgetting about Baylor, probably because i don't see how they lose to TCU :D

Well, we know how there's the "possible" outcomes, and then there's the "probable" outcomes.

yermom
11/24/2013, 02:51 PM
yeah, it looks like we are going to have our hands full again in Stillwater.

8timechamps
11/24/2013, 02:55 PM
yeah, it looks like we are going to have our hands full again in Stillwater.

I have no clue how that game will play out. If Knight and the offense look like they did, from halftime of the ISU game on, then we can score points. If the defense looks like it did in the first half of the ISU and KSU games, OSU can score points. Could we finally get a game against a good opponent where both the offense and defense have good games?

yermom
11/24/2013, 03:05 PM
hopefully the number of available players grows instead of shrinks between now and then...

soonergirlNeugene
11/25/2013, 12:34 AM
Ok, so if we win...and then win the lottery in the other games, we make it to the Fiesta. Maybe. If we lose, most are projecting us to land in the Alamo bowl vs Oregon..

yermom
11/25/2013, 07:23 AM
That may be if we win and lose the lottery as well

thecrimsoncrusader
11/25/2013, 08:16 AM
The bye week will help out OU's defense a lot as it did to start the Baylor game until the offense failed them. Hopefully, Knight will continue to improve on his accuracy as he has shown the past couple of games and maybe, just maybe, Oklahoma's offense and defense can be on the same page and complement each other in one of just the few times this season.

Jacie
11/25/2013, 09:10 AM
Looking at the standings after this weekend . . .

OSU 7-1 (will finish either 8-1 or 7-2)
BU 6-1 (will finish either 8-1, 7-2 or 6-3)
UT 6-1 (will finish either 8-1, 7-2 or 6-3)
OU 6-2 (will finish either 7-2 or 6-3)

. . . though there will be head-to-head for the bragging rights it is almost a certainty that there will be a shared conference championship at least as far as record.

The scenarios for only one team to finish at the top are fewer than the multiple conference champs.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/27/2013, 01:16 PM
Given how Baylor has played on the road, their injury situation and coming off a very devastating loss and despite how lackluster TCU is, I wouldn't be surprised if TCU pulled off the upset. Those injuries for Baylor going into the Oklahoma St. game was Oklahoma St.'s MVP in that game. Petty's completion percentage has dipped significantly ever since the Oklahoma game and has been sorely missing Reese and TCU's defensive backfield only truly has to worry about Goodley.

EatLeadCommie
11/27/2013, 06:58 PM
One would think that in the event of a 4 way tie with BU, UT, OSU, and OU, the only way we go is if we beat the crap out of OSU and somehow jump them or finish next to them in the polls. Even in that scenario, I'm thinking OSU still goes because they'd have the best record among all the teams that are tied.

Hell, I don't know. Our chances are very slim. We shouldn't have shat the bed against UT. What an awful loss.

Jacie
11/27/2013, 07:48 PM
A 4-way tie, now that is a concept! The tie-breakers would have banner-toting planes clouding the skies of Austin for weeks.

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2013, 12:36 AM
Gotta go with no.

Bump. It's a done deal now, right? Horn fans will be in that awkward situation of pulling for the Sooners next week. he-he.

King Barry's Back
12/1/2013, 08:35 AM
Bump. It's a done deal now, right? Horn fans will be in that awkward situation of pulling for the Sooners next week. he-he.

If I've got it right, the winner of Baylor/Tx WILL be Big 12 Champs. Outright champs if OU beats the ags, and co-champs with the sheephumpers if we lose. If we win, we hold a share of second, which isn't that bad. 10-2, chance for a bowl win. We lose, what are we, third or fourth? Another disappointing year.

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2013, 10:20 AM
If I've got it right, the winner of Baylor/Tx WILL be Big 12 Champs. Outright champs if OU beats the ags, and co-champs with the sheephumpers if we lose. If we win, we hold a share of second, which isn't that bad. 10-2, chance for a bowl win. We lose, what are we, third or fourth? Another disappointing year.

Yes, if OSU wins (very likely), they become co-champs "A" and get the BCS bid. TX/BU winner would be co-champ "B" like we were last year and probably go to the cotton bowl. We could make BU or TX out right winner and I have this feeling it could be the horns. That beating OSU put on BU sure seemed to take the wind out of their sails. Maybe being at home will get them going again.

OU_Sooners75
12/1/2013, 11:01 AM

This season no matter what isn't disappointing. It has been expected by many, including me. That doesn't mean I'm happy with it.

New offense. New QB. New Defense. New DL. New coaches.

I said before season 9-3 would be the worst this team finishes the regular season.

With everything that has gone on this year, 10-2 would be an awesome finish and 9-3 would be an expected finish.

VA Sooner
12/1/2013, 06:21 PM
This season no matter what isn't disappointing. It has been expected by many, including me. That doesn't mean I'm happy with it.

I said before season 9-3 would be the worst this team finishes the regular season.

With everything that has gone on this year, 10-2 would be an awesome finish and 9-3 would be an expected finish.

This is exactly what I expected too in the pre-season. We were rebuilding a new offense, new coaches, etc. A 9-3 season is better than I expected... a 10-2 season would be fantastic and a 11-2 season with the bowl win, icing on the cake.

Not bad for a team with devastating injuries on defense (Nelson, Phillips and various players throughout the year including Colvin) and offense (the biggest one, Trey Millard, Keith Ford).

Now it's time for the coaches to earn their keep and gameplan their a$$es off for Bedlam.

Plexis22
12/1/2013, 06:37 PM
I'm hoping for an unexpected beatdown of OSU a la 2009. No one gave that team much of a chance and they shut out the favored Pokes 27-0. If this game was in Norman I would feel more confident.

An OU win plus a Baylor win over UT are the best case scenarios. Baylor is outright Big 12 champion and OSU/UT get nothing. Wins over highly-ranked OSU and then Oregon in the Alamo (with a big Sooner crowd) would be a great springboard for next season.
Baylor: Fiesta
OSU: Cotton
OU: Alamo
UT: Buffalo Wild Wings (Phoenix)
K State: Holiday
Texas Tech: Texas (Houston)

yermom
12/1/2013, 06:43 PM
Fairly sure we are in the Alamo either way

Unless somehow we get an at-large bid for the big 12 somewhere

swardboy
12/2/2013, 08:21 AM

Swardboy style response: Excellent post. I would only add that I would pluralize "New QB" to "New QB's", which makes the season even more respectable.

OU Sooners75 style response: You're an idiot. Don't you know we had to start more than one QB this year? CAn't you figure out the simple fact that having QB issues makes the season even more remarkable? Don't post if you can't recognize your a** from a hole in the ground.

badger
12/2/2013, 09:29 AM
I should go troll shaggy and baylorfans --- both of em have to root for us to have a prayer at the Big 12 Championship, since OSU beat them both :D

We're probably going to let them both down, but still