PDA

View Full Version : "Razor thin chance to win The Big 12" How?

BigTip
11/23/2013, 05:51 PM
The commentators said it a couple of times. "OU has a razor thin chance of winning the Big 12."

I don't see how. Can anyone spell out the scenario where that happens?

Not that I am counting on it by any means. I am trying to decide who to root for tonight. If it will help us, I will root against Baylor, as I assume that would be the first step. But honestly, I hope they win, get some outside help, and represent Big 12 in the national title game. Why not?

Soonerjeepman
11/23/2013, 06:01 PM
question..would you rather OU win the Big 12..or a share...

or have bu go undefeated and play for the MNC? not that I'm a bear fan, but the best OU can do is 7-2. It'd be nice to see a Big12 (minus2) team play and win...

FaninAma
11/23/2013, 06:01 PM
Texas beats Baylor and loses to TT.

OSU beats Baylor.

OU beats OSU.

3 way tie. I think OSU would go to the Fiesta under that scenario.

Jacie
11/23/2013, 06:02 PM
Best I can see is a tie with either Baylor or sa*et at 7-2 and we lost both head-to-heads so it doesn't matter which one.

Baylor has three remaining (OSU, TCU, UT), sa*et has two remaining (TT, BU).

Bears or whorns can lose 3 games but not both of them since one of the losses will be the sa*et @ Baylor game.

BigTip
11/23/2013, 06:06 PM
Ah ha! The commentator lied then. He meant that there is a razor thin chance of winning a tie for the Big 12 title. Bastard!

Soonerjeepman
11/23/2013, 06:07 PM
osu win puts them at 7-1, bu 6-1

need tt to beat ut on Thurs...makes ut 6-2

bu loses to tcu and ut, bu = 6-3, ut - 7-2

we beat osu
OU 7-2
osu 7-2 (we win H/H)
ut 7-2 (horns win H/H)
bu - 6-3

so looks like the best we can do would be tie with ut or bu (if bu loses 2 out of the next 3)

FaninAma
11/23/2013, 06:09 PM
Best I can see is a tie with either Baylor or sa*et at 7-2 and we lost both head-to-heads so it doesn't matter which one.

Baylor has three remaining (OSU, TCU, UT), sa*et has two remaining (TT, BU).

Bears or whorns can lose 3 games but not both of them since one of the losses will be the sa*et @ Baylor game.

If Baylor loses to TCU and OSU, Tech and Baylor beats Texas, and OU beats OSU then Baylor, OU and OSU are tied. Each has beaten one of the other co-champions. Who goes to the Fiesta Bowl? Won't happen but it would be interesting.

aurorasooner
11/23/2013, 06:10 PM
Don't think we can win the Conference outright, but if Okie State beats Baylor but loses to Us, then we'd both have 2 losses but we'd have the head-to-head tiebreak. If Texas loses to Tech and Baylor that'd give them 3 Big 12 losses and they'd be out. However if Baylor loses to Okie State and Texas, that'd only give them 2 Big 12 loses and they'd own the tiebreak (head-to-head) against us....and if Baylor would happen to lose to the Whorns, that'd only give Texass 2 Ls and they'd own the tiebreak against us as well. So I don't see how we have any chance at all to win the Big 12 outright, although we could possibly tie for the Conference Championship in Ws/Ls, but we couldn't get the Conference's automatic BCS bid.
Who GAS anyway. We obviously don't deserve it after getting totally embarrassed on the field by both Baylor and Texas, especially the one in Dallas.
I guess if that scenario happens, Bob gets to claim another Conference Championship, although it would be a shared one.

BigTip
11/23/2013, 06:13 PM

or have bu go undefeated and play for the MNC?

Argghh! Very good question.

In the long run a Baylor run for the MNC would help us by bolstering the rep of the Big 12. Good thing.
Petty having a run at the Heisman? Probably good for us too in the long run. "You can win the Heisman if you come play in the Big 12."
Rooting against a chance for us to win a tie (yawn) for Big 12, bad.
But for us to get that tie, it's probably about a 5% chance of happening. texass beating da bears? Does not seem likely.

It's a good question Jeepman.

LesNessman
11/23/2013, 06:21 PM
OU and Baylor need to win out, and Texas needs to lose out.

That would be the best finish of which I can think.

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2013, 06:35 PM

I'm in with that.

Okie35
11/23/2013, 06:38 PM

or have bu go undefeated and play for the MNC? not that I'm a bear fan, but the best OU can do is 7-2. It'd be nice to see a Big12 (minus2) team play and win...

Baylor isn't playing for an MNC if they went undefeated, so I'd rather share the B12 title. I mean they're both a stretch but us sharing the con title is more plausible.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/23/2013, 06:43 PM

I'm in with that.

yo también

BigTip
11/23/2013, 07:13 PM
Baylor isn't playing for an MNC if they went undefeated, .
Why do you say that?

Both Ohio State and bama have title games to get past. IF they even go undefeated going into them.

SicEmBaylor
11/23/2013, 07:18 PM
Why do you say that?

Both Ohio State and bama have title games to get past. IF they even go undefeated going into them.

If we win out, we're surpassing Ohio State putting us at #3. If Bama or FSU manages to stumble then we're in the MNC game....assuming we win out and FSU or Bama loses. I see little chance of any of that happening.

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2013, 07:19 PM
Baylor isn't playing for an MNC if they went undefeated, so I'd rather share the B12 title. I mean they're both a stretch but us sharing the con title is more plausible.

A tie is fine too, because that would mean we beat the pokes. That's not likely by itself.

BigTip
11/23/2013, 07:58 PM
If we win out, we're surpassing Ohio State putting us at #3. If Bama or FSU manages to stumble then we're in the MNC game....assuming we win out and FSU or Bama loses. I see little chance of any of that happening.

So you think Ohio State does not have to lose to jump them? Then bama needs to lose to Auburn, not a stretch, or in the SEC title game. Again, not a stretch.

yermom
11/24/2013, 12:11 AM
Go Raiders!

So Texas has one loss, OSU has one loss, Baylor has one loss, we have two

so...

we need to beat OSU, give them two losses

Tech needs to beat Texas, give them two losses

Texas need to beat Baylor, giving them two losses

this would give Texas, OSU, OU and Baylor 7-2 conference records

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1546006

Effective June 2011

The following procedure will determine the Big 12 Conference representative to the Bowl Championship Series in the event of a first-place tie:
If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 4 will be followed until a determination is made. Once a team has been eliminated from a multi-team comparison, it is dropped from further comparisons. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
The records of the three teams will be compared against each other
The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in the conference
The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series Poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative, unless the two highest ranked tied teams are ranked within one spot of the other in the BCS poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two highest ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Bowl Championship Series.
The representative will be chosen by draw.

if Texas and Baylor and OSU all lose that late, we could end up in the Fiesta

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2013, 02:29 AM
I just love reading the effects of crimson koolaid.

BigTip
11/24/2013, 11:11 AM
I just love reading the effects of crimson koolaid.
Ha! It's just a scholarly interest about the possibilities.

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2013, 11:23 AM
Ha! It's just a scholarly interest about the possibilities.

I just sipped a little of the koolaid and had an irresistable urge to book a trip to Phoenix. ;)

BigTip
11/24/2013, 12:08 PM
I just sipped a little of the koolaid and had an irresistable urge to book a trip to Phoenix. ;)

lol, now THAT'S some good koolaid!

But I thought someone said there was no way that could happen even if there was this crazy two/three/four way tie

yermom
11/24/2013, 12:10 PM
No one said it was going to happen, just that it could