PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Knight

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/23/2013, 04:31 PM
Dang! He looked good today. Hostile environment and he kept is poise. The kid made some very nice plays.

This must've been what the coaches saw this fall.

WTG!

I Am Right
11/23/2013, 04:36 PM
Good throwing

SoonerDomiNation
11/23/2013, 04:37 PM
Yup...I agreeTK played very well and clay OMG ...

birddog
11/23/2013, 04:38 PM
Looked great today with clay as the feature back. They looked organized and determined today. Good stuff. Lots of big plays and not a lot to complain about today. Great win

Soonerjeepman
11/23/2013, 04:40 PM
yes, good game by all. D backs blew some coverage...but overall played well.

cherokeebrewer
11/23/2013, 04:40 PM
TK did do good and how 'bout that Brennan Clay...great Sooner career and very underappreciated. Thank you Mr. Clay!

Okie35
11/23/2013, 04:48 PM
yea that run was amazing other than that pick TK was throwing great... I think once his nervousness is all out and he settles down he plays pretty well... the offense moves so much better ... sitting by KSU fans earlier really disturbed me normally I don't mind them but today the people that normally sit there weren't there

DrZaius
11/23/2013, 04:55 PM
I have said it all season, including after the WVU game. Trevor is good and only going to get better.

picasso
11/23/2013, 04:57 PM
Great presence and is really good at getting junk yards.

ashley
11/23/2013, 05:05 PM
Brightens the future for us.

aurorasooner
11/23/2013, 05:27 PM
Rushes-- 52 for 301 yds, passing 14-21 (1) for 171 yds, 3rd down conversion 9 for 15 (4th down 1-1), time of possession 35 min vs 25 min vs KSU. Defense held them to 24 yards on 22 rushing attempts although they obviously hammered our D thru the air for 372 yds, which is ridiculous.
I just wonder where this game-plan was for the Whorns game although against Baylor, I don't think it would've made any difference? It's probably better that we go to some Weedeater bowl anyway, because when this team/staff gets one phase going, we seem to cough it up in another phase. BTW, just one freakin' time when we get up early by 14 points, I like to see our D pitch a 3 and out instead of giving up a TD and letting our opponent get back into the game.
Hopefully in 2 weeks, we'll put it all together at one time.

soonerfan69
11/23/2013, 05:31 PM
Helluva lot better than Bell

Okie35
11/23/2013, 05:38 PM
We've scored the most on KSU than anyone has all season and probably will all season. Sure they didn't have Ty but we didn't have Damien.

Snrinhouston
11/23/2013, 05:43 PM
I have said it all season, including after the WVU game. Trevor is good and only going to get better.

The staff got nervous about the upcoming ND game and mistakenly pulled the plug on Knight.

todd_shelton87
11/23/2013, 05:45 PM
Trevor Knight played with polish and made good throws today off the read option.

If you game plan and chew up clock, it can be effective in the big 12.

Okie35
11/23/2013, 05:45 PM
The staff got nervous about the upcoming ND game and mistakenly pulled the plug on Knight.

I don't think that was a mistake we won but I think it wasn't good that he didn't get any snaps whenever Bell was struggling after that ND game.

FaninAma
11/23/2013, 05:51 PM

I think Knight was a little banged up after the WVU game.

BigTip
11/23/2013, 05:53 PM
Maybe Knight can play both ways and play a defensive back.

Soonerjeepman
11/23/2013, 05:56 PM
I'm actually excited about the D...maybe it's wrong, but the announcers really talked it up, especially making sure that we had only 2 Sr's playing.

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2013, 06:30 PM

I disagree it was a mistake. TK was overwhelmed to the point of not learning anything. Sitting a few games often helps young players. I do agree coaches were too slow to put him back in when Bell was struggling so badly.

aurorasooner
11/23/2013, 06:36 PM
I disagree it was a mistake. TK was overwhelmed to the point of not learning anything. Sitting a few games often helps young players. I do agree coaches were too slow to put him back in when Bell was struggling so badly. I do wonder if BB is cleared to play in 2 weeks, if Heupel will alternately have a BU plan for BB coming in to relieve TK if TK is not effective or gets injured. It's probably too much for Heupel to think ahead to possibly come up with 2 game-plans, when I guess we're blessed when he can come up with one quality one, though, even with 2 weeks to prep.

picasso
11/23/2013, 06:42 PM
Has everyone forgotten that Knight hurt his knee?

okiewaker
11/23/2013, 06:50 PM
Knight played great, and I commend him. Hope he continues to progress.

David Earl
11/23/2013, 07:33 PM
Maybe Knight can play both ways and play a defensive back.

Nope! They're gonna play him at nose tackle. Already in the works...

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2013, 07:34 PM

I think some people have. But he was effectively "pulled" in that he didn't get his job back when he got healthy. He got a series in the ND game when Bell cramped, but he probably wasn't fully back yet. We played 5 full games after that and Bell never played that well and looked awful in 3 of them. I really thought Knight should have gone back in after the UT game even if it meant sharing ala KSU. I don't think it would have changed our record, just moved TK farther along in his development.

olevetonahill
11/23/2013, 07:46 PM

Not Me nor have I forgotten how many here wanted him Pulled before he did get hurt. I like BB and think hes a Great Sooner , Just was never convinced he could throw, TK had/has an arm he just needed experience. I Think hes Matured into the job . Still would like to see More KT tho just cause Im curious!

picasso
11/23/2013, 07:54 PM
Not Me nor have I forgotten how many here wanted him Pulled before he did get hurt. I like BB and think hes a Great Sooner , Just was never convinced he could throw, TK had/has an arm he just needed experience. I Think hes Matured into the job . Still would like to see More KT tho just cause Im curious!

I wanted him pulled.
There's no arguing that the offense clicked better at first with Bell.
TK has obviously settled down but he started out with the worst completion percentage since Chris Melson.
And you have to admit Bell played well at Domer.
Strange season.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/23/2013, 08:19 PM
Strange days, indeed! Most peculiar, momma!

cvsooner
11/23/2013, 10:56 PM
It was no mistake, and it's correct he had a knee injury. He could not have played for a bit. He wasn't 100 % on his sole series against ND and acknowledged it afterwards.

Besides, Bell played so well against Tulsa and ND....why on earth would you pull him then? After/during TCU, probably and during Texas, absolutely. Then Bell plays well against Tech. Just the way it goes.

OUmillenium
11/24/2013, 01:35 AM
I wanted him pulled.
TK has obviously settled down but he started out with the worst completion percentage since Chris Melson.
Strange season.

^This

There has been no easy answer. I wanted Bell to start the season, he won the job and played great at domer, then sucked at UTerus (as did the gameplan), and now I am stoked for Trevor to continue playing well. So I think back to UTerus and Baylor games and feel like with a healthy dose of Trevor...what if? Good news for next year. Lots of young defense back plus lots of youth at QB and RB on offense.

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2013, 02:21 AM
^This

There has been no easy answer. I wanted Bell to start the season, he won the job and played great at domer, then sucked at UTerus (as did the gameplan), and now I am stoked for Trevor to continue playing well. So I think back to UTerus and Baylor games and feel like with a healthy dose of Trevor...what if? Good news for next year. Lots of young defense back plus lots of youth at QB and RB on offense.

I don't think TK would have changed the outcome of those games. Maybe made them less frustrating to watch because he would have made a few plays with his legs. But he would have needed efficient passing in those games as well and I doubt it against those defenses. If he has a good game passing against OSU, then maybe I'll think what if? too.

Okie35
11/24/2013, 05:24 AM

I didn't but it doesn't matter when he was healthy he still didn't come in.

dennis580
11/24/2013, 10:44 AM

Knight was absolutely terrible the first 2 games, and deserved to be benched. He simply was not ready. Certainly was not in anyway ready to go on the road, and beat Notre Dame. Now he has a 2nd chance, and it looks like he is more ready this time although who knows how he will react in a hostile environment against OSU.

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2013, 11:06 AM
Knight was absolutely terrible the first 2 games, and deserved to be benched. He simply was not ready. Certainly was not in anyway ready to go on the road, and beat Notre Dame. Now he has a 2nd chance, and it looks like he is more ready this time although who knows how he will react in a hostile environment against OSU.

^This. But now that we've seen how bad our offense can look against UT and Baylor, i don't think we'll be clamoring for Bell no matter what happens in Stillwater. Maybe a few chirps for KT :) The OSU defense appears to be as good or better than any we've faced, so it's going to be a real test.

hawaii 5-0
11/24/2013, 11:11 AM
I'll be a little more pleased if Knight didn't stare down the receiver before throwing the ball.

Also, a little pump fake once in awhile would be nice.

With his skills I think he could develop in a good bootlegger, hiding the ball better on play action, and giving his receivers a little more time to run their routes.

I think he's coming along nicely, but OSU is gonna jump on the routes he was using last Saturday.

5-0

FaninAma
11/24/2013, 11:18 AM
I find it silly that fans who support a certain player often find the need to trash other players who are competing at the same position. It is not very apparent on this board but if you check out the other boards you will see entire threads of "the player I support deserves to start because the player you support sucks" type of posts. It takes about 5 minutes to get weary of the other boards. Soonerfans definitely has a higher class of clientele.

David Earl
11/24/2013, 11:22 AM
Also, a little pump fake once in awhile would be nice.

While I certainly agree TK needs to develop and has a long way to go, we need to be fair and recognize his improvements. I mean specifically, he has done the pump fake a fair bit. Go back and rewatch the two recent games. I can't remember which plays, but he used a pump fake a few times. Wasn't one of them on a first down scramble yesterday? Knight pumped, made the defender jump in an attempt to block a pass that never happened, then Knight just zagged around him for the first down.

hawaii 5-0
11/24/2013, 11:31 AM
While I certainly agree TK needs to develop and has a long way to go, we need to be fair and recognize his improvements. I mean specifically, he has done the pump fake a fair bit. Go back and rewatch the two recent games. I can't remember which plays, but he used a pump fake a few times. Wasn't one of them on a first down scramble yesterday? Knight pumped, made the defender jump in an attempt to block a pass that never happened, then Knight just zagged around him for the first down.

As I recall he held his arm up as if to pass but didn't pump it. The results were the same. The puddy tat lost his jock.

5-0

SoonerMarkVA
11/24/2013, 11:35 AM
I wanted him pulled.
Strange season.

Yeah, something seemed to snap on Bell mentally. He was quite brilliant those first 2 games and clearly a major drop off into TCU. By ut, he was a shell of the guy who QB'd at TU and ND. Instead of playing to his strengths, which would have been a UF/Tebow-type offense, it seemed like they decided by TCU that he should be the next Landry Jones.

David Earl
11/24/2013, 11:42 AM
As I recall he held his arm up as if to pass but didn't pump it. The results were the same. The puddy tat lost his jock.

Yup.

Is my memory short circuited, or did we have a play yesterday where he pump faked twice? I just know he did that a couple of times and cause the KSU defense a little trouble.

FaninAma
11/24/2013, 11:44 AM
Yeah, something seemed to snap on Bell mentally. He was quite brilliant those first 2 games and clearly a major drop off into TCU. By ut, he was a shell of the guy who QB'd at TU and ND. Instead of playing to his strengths, which would have been a UF/Tebow-type offense, it seemed like they decided by TCU that he should be the next Landry Jones.

I noticed the same thing. And I am not sure the offensive coaching staff won't do the same thing to Knight if he continues to show more accuracy on his passes. It just seems that the offensive coaches feel more comfortable with a stay-in-the-pocket type QB despite their efforts earlier in the year to work a mobile QB into the game plan.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/24/2013, 11:49 AM

5-0

He squared his shoulders and the dude joined the parachute club. Knight isn't as slippery as Manziel, but with this unteachable ability (like I said last week, I've only seen 3 guys in my life that could do this anywhere on the field) it makes him able to get corners on a lot of guys.

Soonerjeepman
11/24/2013, 11:57 AM
I noticed the same thing. And I am not sure the offensive coaching staff won't do the same thing to Knight if he continues to show more accuracy on his passes. It just seems that the offensive coaches feel more comfortable with a stay-in-the-pocket type QB despite their efforts earlier in the year to work a mobile QB into the game plan.

Stoops has NEVER been a big supporter of running qb's. He's said before one of the main issues is it opens up more chances for the qb to get hurt. Kind of like Switzer and his philosophy on passing...only 3 things can happen and 2 are bad.

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2013, 12:01 PM

Bell is not nearly the runner that Tebow was. He had to succeed by being mostly a pocket passer or he wasn't going to succeed. The big thing that happened in the TCU game was the TCU defense; nothing that "they" (coaches) decided. Being a pocket passer doesn't mean being the next LJ - we could still be a run-first offense from a pro style set. But we didn't execute that very well and a lot of the reason was that Bell just saw the rush if the first guy wasn't open. But also because our running game wasn't strong enough to dominate w/o the extra threat of the QB run which Bell couldn't provide.

I think this whole season has shown what Heupel was up against. He wanted to run a QB zone read offense that TK and KT could run, but TK wasn't ready and then they were both hurt. Bell can't run that offense and it's hard to switch horses in the middle of the stream. Trying to go back to what we've done the last couple of years made sense with Bell being the only choice, but the execution wasn't there and not just because of Bell. I'm not a big JH fan, but I have more appreciation of his situation now.

OU_Sooners75
11/24/2013, 12:12 PM
Just think how good Knight would be if the coaching staff wasn't stubborn and kept bell as the starter?

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2013, 12:30 PM
Just think how good Knight would be if the coaching staff wasn't stubborn and kept bell as the starter?

Hard to say, but I don't think it would be like knight(heh) and day. He was probably healthy by TCU but it's hard to see any coach giving Bell the hook right after the ND game given what Knight had shown so far. The writing was on the wall after the TCU game though. I would have loved to see TK come in the 2nd half of the UT game. He could have come in with less pressure since the game was already bleak and not by his doing. His running might have given us a spark and it would have been something the horns hadn't prepared for. If he had engineered even a partial comeback, it would have done wonders for his confidence. The downside would have been limited. That's the best scenerio my 20/20 hindsight can see.

David Earl
11/24/2013, 12:39 PM
Hard to say, but I don't think it would be like knight(heh) and day. He was probably healthy by TCU but it's hard to see any coach giving Bell the hook right after the ND game given what Knight had shown so far. The writing was on the wall after the TCU game though. I would have loved to see TK come in the 2nd half of the UT game. He could have come in with less pressure since the game was already bleak and not by his doing. His running might have given us a spark and it would have been something the horns hadn't prepared for. If he had engineered even a partial comeback, it would have done wonders for his confidence. The downside would have been limited. That's the best scenerio my 20/20 hindsight can see.

This is a reasonable way to look at it.

The fact is, we don't have a clue how good Knight might be if the coaching staff had put him in earlier. It might have still been too early for him. Maybe he needed a little more practice time. Fans think they know, but fans don't know. Last year, fans thought Stoops was just being too stubborn to put Bell in for Landry. Turns out Stoops and company weren't being stubborn at all. Fans, however, were being clueless. Some fans saw through this and realized Landry, in spite of his weaknesses, was our best choice last year. Coaches proved they are smarter than we think.

We're in a rebuilding year, have had a boatload of injuries, much of which were our best players, the very ones we couldn't stand to lose, yet here we are... 9-2... QB problems and all, the coaches show why they are paid to do what they do.