PDA

View Full Version : 19 Sooners make Academic All-Conference

8timechamps
11/22/2013, 08:37 PM
After reading the thread about FSU, I thought this would be worth sharing here. I know OU has it's share of player's that make bad decisions (a couple this week), and players that don't make the most of their opportunity, but these guys make me proud.

First team All-conference:

Gabe Ikard (major: Graduated, seeking second undergrad degree)
Seth Carter (major: Energy Management)
Blake Bell (Communications)
Grant Bothun (Petroleum Engineering)
Kass Everett (Graduated)
Caleb Gastelum (Sociology)
Brennon Green (Communications)
Nick Hodgson (Zoology)
Trey Millard (Psychology)
Julian Wilson (Communications)
Austin Woods (Management)

Second team All-conference:

Aaron Colvin (Graduated)
Aaron Franklin (Communications)
Michael Hunnicutt (Management)
Cortez Johnson (Multidisciplinary Studies)
P.L. Lindley (Human Relations)
Durron Neal (Communications)
Londell Taylor (Communications)
Eric Striker (Political Science)

In order to qualify for a First Team Academic All-Conference standing, a player must have maintained a 3.20 or better GPA. Second team requires a 3.0 or better.

rock on sooner
11/22/2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks for posting...lots of kids that DO have their heads on straight!

Soonerjeepman
11/22/2013, 11:55 PM
nice...I'll be honest, my prejudice took over on a few....

how could a really good fball player be smart! lol...Striker, Colvin...

Congrats to them...

SanJoaquinSooner
11/23/2013, 12:30 AM
Each GPA should be converted to a z-score, using the mean and standard deviation for the major.

Soonerjeepman
11/23/2013, 12:53 AM
so you saying multidisciplinary studies isn't equal to Petroleum eng.? lol...

Eielson
11/23/2013, 04:49 PM
That list is a joke...

cherokeebrewer
11/23/2013, 04:57 PM
That list is a joke...

whut?

DrZaius
11/23/2013, 05:03 PM
Awesome...but what is Multidisciplinary Studies?

SoonerForLife92
11/23/2013, 05:50 PM

It's kinda self explanatory

Eielson
11/23/2013, 07:45 PM
whut?

For one, JUCO players aren't known for their "all-academic team" prowess.

Eielson
11/23/2013, 07:47 PM

You basically throw a bunch of classes together of your choosing and call it a degree.

8timechamps
11/24/2013, 01:59 PM
For one, JUCO players aren't known for their "all-academic team" prowess.

JUCO players aren't allowed to be on the list their first year, so they have to carry their 3.0 (or higher) average over through their senior year. So, that blows that out of the water.

You basically throw a bunch of classes together of your choosing and call it a degree.

I didn't think you knew much about how the program actually works (outside of the game), but you have now verified it. Players don't get to "Choose the courses they take". That's all done by the athletic department. They get to choose their degree (like any other student), but the class scheduling is done by administration. Their degree programs are EXACTLY the same as any other student.

These guys earned their way onto this list, by working hard and taking full advantage of their educational opportunity. The only "joke" in this thread is your comments.

yermom
11/24/2013, 02:13 PM

in my case it was basically a Physics degree with some Engineering and IT Management thrown in there with my senior research project being an IT project.

but it is the same amount of upper and lower level course work as most majors. i'm sure there are easier ones than mine was, but i don't really think it would be any less rigorous in general than a communications or sociology degree

picasso
11/24/2013, 02:17 PM
You know, some players end up at JUCO because that's the only place they got an offer. Not because of their grades. I know a few friends who went that route to NEO.
Including my brother in law who is now vice president of an energy company.

SoonerorLater
11/24/2013, 02:22 PM
All of these guys are to be congratulated on their achievement, and it is an achievement. I have to say I am in the camp of majoring in a hard discipline even if you ultimately don't end up doing it as a life's work. Which makes me curious if their is some type of advisory role provided by the athletic dept on this kind of thing or are the players just sort of left to their own to decide.

yermom
11/24/2013, 02:32 PM

this isn't that far from the truth

I didn't think you knew much about how the program actually works (outside of the game), but you have now verified it. Players don't get to "Choose the courses they take". That's all done by the athletic department. They get to choose their degree (like any other student), but the class scheduling is done by administration. Their degree programs are EXACTLY the same as any other student.

i don't see how the athletic department could possibly choose their classes for them if they just chose "Mutidisciplinary Studies" as a major, here is a description from the university:

http://www.ou.edu/go2/academics/arts_sciences/multi_studies.html

8timechamps
11/24/2013, 02:45 PM
this isn't that far from the truth

i don't see how the athletic department could possibly choose their classes for them if they just chose "Mutidisciplinary Studies" as a major, here is a description from the university:

http://www.ou.edu/go2/academics/arts_sciences/multi_studies.html

Players select their major, then the athetic department selects their courses. It's been that way for a while. Now, when it comes to the actual courses, the players have input (in the case of Multidisciplinary Studies), but ultimately, the administration makes their schedule for them. I'm not making this up, it's how it is.

Eielson
11/24/2013, 04:50 PM
JUCO players aren't allowed to be on the list their first year, so they have to carry their 3.0 (or higher) average over through their senior year. So, that blows that out of the water.

Alright, fine. I can get more personal if you want to call me out and pretend like I'm clueless. I personally know multiple guys on this list. Some of them are not very smart. That doesn't mean they're not good people, but they just aren't that smart, and they'll even tell you themselves. One of the guys on that list admitted that he sleeps through most of his classes. He tries to stay awake, but his schedule is really tough (overall schedule, not class schedule), so I understand and respect that, but he just shouldn't be on one of these lists.

Multidisciplinary studies and Communications are widely known as two of the biggest blowoff majors, and Psychology and Sociology aren't far behind. There is a reason that this list is filled with those guys. In reality, you should take most of those guys off that list, which leaves you with about 3 players and a couple walk-ons. Props to those guys like Ikard for sure, though. They earned it. Most of those other guys drain that award of most of its meaning, though.

These guys earned their way onto this list, by working hard and taking full advantage of their educational opportunity. The only "joke" in this thread is your comments.

The fact that the administration officially enrolls them in their classes doesn't matter to me. All that does is make it easier for them. It's not like administration is going to enroll them in classes that will put their eligibility in jeopardy. They know the easy classes, and they won't have to worry about them filling up too fast.

cherokeebrewer
11/24/2013, 06:14 PM
Of all the things to do, it seems like denigrating an academic all-conference list is rather petty...

8timechamps
11/24/2013, 06:18 PM
Of all the things to do, it seems like denigrating an academic all-conference list is rather petty...

Agreed. I applaud any student that keeps their grades up, especially with the rigors of playing football.

There's a reason that only 19 of 85 made the list.