PDA

View Full Version : Pretty interesting read about FSU (big time college football)

Sooner in Tampa
11/22/2013, 02:15 PM
I am sure that much of this goes on in many 'football factories'...It kind of makes me sad for all parties concerned...it really doesn't seem like there are any winners in this

I mean, I know that some of these kids make it to the NFL and are loaded financially...but not very many

Link (http://deadspin.com/jameis-winston-isnt-the-only-problem-here-an-fsu-teac-1467707410)

I've had dealings with the handlers. My biggest issue was with a gentle giant of a lineman who was new to college, and to reading, and had trouble making it to the morning class. On the few occasions he made it to class (late) and didn't fall dead asleep, his earnest writing, both in style and structure, was that of an elementary school student. He never turned a paper in on time, but when I contacted the handlers to warn them of his status, a pile of final drafts would suddenly materialize, full of fairly complex, organized thoughts and diction—thoughts that hadn't made it into earlier drafts I'd seen. I was bombarded with regular long emails from handlers explaining how I should arrange extra meetings with the player and extend deadlines for him. But he couldn't overcome his absences, and when I informed them through a mentor that he wouldn't pass and it was too late to drop the class, I was asked if I could give him an "incomplete," even though he didn't qualify for one. I said no.

This was a problem: My lineman was already on academic probation for poor performance in his first semester. Should I flunk him, he would lose his eligibility. At the end of the term, when I went online to enter my students' grades, his name didn't appear on the roster. He had been administratively disappeared from the rolls—a medical withdrawal, I heard, though I wondered what malady rendered him unable to attend class but capable of playing 40 or 50 snaps every Saturday.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2013, 02:57 PM
And even among the one that make it to the NFL, they often end up broke and without a fallback skill set. The fast money spends fast, and then they learn that rumor about the average stay in the NFL being a few years is true.

fadada1
11/22/2013, 03:25 PM
i was a grad assistant at u. of florida and lecturer at sam houston state - always had athletes in my classes (some very high profile and names you would know). there is pressure from all sides regarding athletes and making sure they keep their eligibility. thankfully and luckily, i never had any big issues with athletes and attending class. i was always made aware, well in advance, if they were going to miss class for any reason. for the most part, it was easy to check their calendar/games.

the only real issue i ever had was with a baseball player not attending class. long story short, his coach and i were in constant communication regarding his attendance. having been an assistant coach to another team at the same time, i understood the pressures for coaches and athletes to be in class. if he missed class, i would call his coach immediately after - usually there were some extra reps after his practice, and he'd be good for a couple weeks. he'd miss again, would be punished, then his attendance would rebound again.

unfortunately, as penn state is currently dealing with, is eliminating the culture of big-time college sports taking priority over all else - specifically with football programs at major universities.

SoonerForLife92
11/22/2013, 07:49 PM
It's sad considering a lot of these underprivileged kids were never raised with anything else besides accomplishment in sports... They were never taught how important an education really is. They were raised with having it drilled into their head that all they could do to "make it" was apply themselves in sports. Completely idiocy of course. It is all they know and their reality is completely different from ours being an elite athlete... But then, like stated above, the world kicks them in the *** when they dont have their sport and there is nothing to fall back on.