PDA

View Full Version : Players you would like to see more

8timechamps
11/20/2013, 05:36 PM
With Williams and Bester out this week, we'll get a chance to see more from Ross (not sure how much, but more than we've seen recently). I think we'll see more of Jaz too.

The one guy I would like to see more is Durron Neal. In his limited time, I don't think he's dropped a catch-able pass. I'm not sure if he's run all of the routes correctly, but he appears to be a pretty solid route runner with good hands. He also has some size, which I like. Hopefully, he'll get a chance to play more this week. Remember the TCU game, when he came up big on a late drive? If that's any indication, he should be ready for more action.

I'd also like to see Quincy Russell, since so much was made of his commitment/arrival to OU.

Would love to see more of Keith Ford, but his foot injury is probably going to keep him out this week.

BoulderSooner79
11/20/2013, 06:31 PM
You've covered my list. How much is Quincy Russell playing? I haven't noticed him out there at all.

I've always thought Jaz had potential, but the time to invest in his development has passed. It would be great if we could give most the snaps to Neal and any other young guys that are not going to redshirt.

SoonerMarkVA
11/20/2013, 06:36 PM
Ford, Thompson, and any TE who can catch!

8timechamps
11/20/2013, 07:04 PM
You've covered my list. How much is Quincy Russell playing? I haven't noticed him out there at all.

I've always thought Jaz had potential, but the time to invest in his development has passed. It would be great if we could give most the snaps to Neal and any other young guys that are not going to redshirt.

I don't think Russell has played a down. Although there was so much excitement upon his arrival, the emergence of Phillips (then Wade) pushed him down the list. He did arrive very late, and had a lot of catching up to do, I'm just surprised we haven't seen him.

I agree with the receivers. Derrick Woods played well in place of Shepard last week, and I think Austin Bennett could be good too. Since neither are going to redshirt, it would be nice to see a little more of them...but not at the expense of Saunders/Shepard playing time.

8timechamps
11/20/2013, 07:05 PM
Ford, Thompson, and any TE who can catch!

I really hope Ford is healthy soon, but with only two games (and a bowl), he may be done for the year. We'll see.

As for the tight ends, I'd like to see McNamara again.

Scott D
11/21/2013, 05:37 PM
Russell has played, he's in the rotation. Right now the top two players receiving time appear to be Wade and Peterson.

8timechamps
11/21/2013, 07:47 PM
Russell has played, he's in the rotation. Right now the top two players receiving time appear to be Wade and Peterson.

I hadn't even noticed. Guess he's either not made a big impact, or I've just been looking elsewhere.

Mjcpr
11/21/2013, 07:49 PM
I only saw him play in week 1.

SoonerForLife92
11/21/2013, 09:11 PM
Corey Nelson. Surgery recovery is for pansies

Scott D
11/21/2013, 09:55 PM
I hadn't even noticed. Guess he's either not made a big impact, or I've just been looking elsewhere.

according to soonersports.com he played against ULM and Tulsa.

BoulderSooner79
11/21/2013, 10:04 PM

Assuming he's not injured, that's pretty weak. Not the savored so many envisioned.

8timechamps
11/21/2013, 10:08 PM

Kind of strange that Stoops kept talking (early in the season) about him having to catch up, then as the season went along, he saw less and less time (especially when Phillips went down).

That said, I think Wade has made some really great strides since he was put in the starter role. He was highly recruited, and expected to do well (as was Phillips), so maybe it shouldn't be a surprise.

Hopefully, Russell is still really good, it's just been the play of Wade and Peterson that has kept him sidelined.

Scott D
11/22/2013, 06:40 PM
Problem is there are times that I've sworn I've seen him on the field since then. But, maybe it's just too easy to confuse 95 with 85 for everyone.

8timechamps
11/22/2013, 06:43 PM
Problem is there are times that I've sworn I've seen him on the field since then. But, maybe it's just too easy to confuse 95 with 85 for everyone.

I've done that more than once, and in the TCU game, the commentator even called Grissom "Russell".

I did hear today that he has been dealing with a back injury since Tulsa, so that would certainly add up to less playing time.

NorthernIowaSooner
11/22/2013, 06:46 PM
Kind of strange that Stoops kept talking (early in the season) about him having to catch up, then as the season went along, he saw less and less time (especially when Phillips went down).

That said, I think Wade has made some really great strides since he was put in the starter role. He was highly recruited, and expected to do well (as was Phillips), so maybe it shouldn't be a surprise.

Hopefully, Russell is still really good, it's just been the play of Wade and Peterson that has kept him sidelined.

To be honest, I'm not sure where all the Russell love ever came from. He never seemed to me like he was never going to be much more than a rotation/depth player but hopefully I'm wrong in the coming years.

He seems like the prospects of bad MLB teams with poor farm systems. They cling to mediocre prospects because they're the best they have even though they're nothing special.

8timechamps
11/22/2013, 06:53 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure where all the Russell love ever came from. He never seemed to me like he was never going to be much more than a rotation/depth player but hopefully I'm wrong in the coming years.

He seems like the prospects of bad MLB teams with poor farm systems. They cling to mediocre prospects because they're the best they have even though they're nothing special.

I think it can all be traced to the worry most had about the defensive line prior to the season. Russell was being courted by some SEC schools, so I think the prevailing thought was "we don't have anybody good along the line, and this guy is SEC good, so he must be our next big thing!". Just didn't work out that way.

I still expect him to be a good player, I've just toned down my enthusiasm.

Ruf/Nek7
11/22/2013, 09:33 PM
I am going to go with the obvious, BLAKE BELL! :friendly_wink:

OkieThunderLion
11/22/2013, 11:01 PM
The one guy I would like to see more is Durron Neal. In his limited time, I don't think he's dropped a catch-able pass. I'm not sure if he's run all of the routes correctly, but he appears to be a pretty solid route runner with good hands.

Cost Bell his 2nd INT vs Baylor.

mainline13
11/23/2013, 04:48 PM
Players I would like to see more of ....

Opponents' punters and kickoff returners.