PDA

View Full Version : Starting QB for Sat is....

Soonerjeepman
11/20/2013, 02:33 AM
Bell
Knight
Thompson...

who and why?

Breadburner
11/20/2013, 08:40 AM
TK.......Bell just is not progressing.....Thompson needs more snaps in practice...

cleller
11/20/2013, 09:16 AM
Luckily for Stoops, its kinda decided for him. If the Bell has been rung, he's out. Thompson? He's only had a few game snaps. That leave 1 choice: Knight.

I think Knight deserves another shot, anyway. He's had time to settle down, get some perspective, watch all the Rocky movies.

Okie35
11/20/2013, 09:17 AM
I think Knight should, regardless of his nervous side. He still moves the offense down field easier. He runs the zone read better as well. He more of a running threat.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2013, 09:52 AM
Chip Ambres

badger
11/20/2013, 09:52 AM
Knightdozer

olevetonahill
11/20/2013, 10:01 AM
STEP, With Dean as Back up. Cause we all know Dean Likes STEPs backside up.

picasso
11/20/2013, 10:01 AM
Chip Ambres

Heh heh.

Who was that Davis kid from cali back in the 90's?

mojorisen2014
11/20/2013, 10:15 AM
Chip Ambres

Heh heh.

Who was that Davis kid from cali back in the 90's?chad Davis

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2013, 10:22 AM
STEP, With Dean as Back up. Cause we all know Dean Likes STEPs backside up.

face down

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2013, 10:28 AM
chad Davis

The mentor to Ryan Leaf at WSU.

aj44mc
11/20/2013, 10:32 AM
Have you guys seen what Princeton has done with 3 qb's?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1846084-princeton-is-running-plays-with-3-quarterbacks-if-you-care-to-see-awesome

SoonerMarkVA
11/20/2013, 10:33 AM
Chip Ambres

My rendition of the John Blake show if Ambres had come to OU:

"Chip Ambres. Beaumont, TX. Good job."

SoonerMarkVA
11/20/2013, 10:35 AM
I'd like to see KT. But it's going to be TK.

BoulderSooner79
11/20/2013, 11:09 AM
We'll see both Waters and Sams dividing up the possessions.

Ruf/Nek7
11/20/2013, 11:29 AM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1846084-princeton-is-running-plays-with-3-quarterbacks-if-you-care-to-see-awesome

They're smart enough to run that.

sooneron
11/20/2013, 11:30 AM
RAWLS!!!

sooneron
11/20/2013, 11:31 AM
They're smart enough to run that.
It's basically the ninja, isn't it?

Eielson
11/20/2013, 11:31 AM

TK, KT, and Bester!

KT actually lined up as a WR some in HS. They'd run that wildcat formation with Haywood at QB. He was nearly impossible for one man to bring down.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2013, 11:41 AM
For my 5th-6th grade team I coached, I ran a wildcat type offense with 2 quarterbacks taking direct snaps just alternating between the 2 depending on what play I wanted to run.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2013, 11:44 AM
Jarrod Reese could have some eligibility left if he would stop selling meth.

Eielson
11/20/2013, 11:48 AM
For my 5th-6th grade team I coached, I ran a wildcat type offense with 2 quarterbacks taking direct snaps just alternating between the 2 depending on what play I wanted to run.

We might as well just run that since I just realized Scooba is out.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2013, 11:48 AM
BTW, it will be Knight..Bell will not play due to concussion.

colleyvillesooner
11/20/2013, 12:20 PM
BTW, it will be Knight..Bell will not play due to concussion.

yep.

http://newsok.com/trevor-knight-to-start-at-kansas-state-bell-out-with-concussion/article/3906647

Boomer.....
11/20/2013, 12:24 PM
The dreaded "concussion", huh.

picasso
11/20/2013, 12:32 PM
chad Davis

Yes.

XingTheRubicon
11/20/2013, 12:40 PM
<Every fan in the history of football>Play the guy that hasn't proven he sucks yet!!1!!!!!!!1!<Every fan in the history of football>

lexsooner
11/20/2013, 01:01 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oklahoma_Sooners_starting_quarterbacks

This year's quarterback issues pale compared to [Year]? I think one stands out.

Ruf/Nek7
11/20/2013, 01:06 PM
Knight has been named the starter.

mojorisen2014
11/20/2013, 01:09 PM
Jarrod Reese could have some eligibility left if he would stop selling meth.didnt know he was a drug dealer

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2013, 01:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oklahoma_Sooners_starting_quarterbacks

This year's quarterback issues pale compared to [Year]? I think one stands out.

I don't even have to look at that to tell you the names:

Brandon Daniels, Patrick Fletcher. Jake Sills, Eric Moore, and my previously named Jarrod Reese..But I want to say 6 played that season.

Oh the 98 season..Began with the option and BD against NT

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2013, 01:12 PM
didnt know he was a drug dealer

He was dealing drugs in high school

Widescreen
11/20/2013, 01:13 PM
Knight has been named the starter.
Well there goes the element of surprise. LOL.

Ruf/Nek7
11/20/2013, 01:14 PM
Well there goes the element of surprise. LOL.

Hey, it made it to a second page at least.

Tear Down This Wall
11/20/2013, 01:21 PM
Here's the problem: A quarterback stands in the pocket and throws the football to receivers.

Josh Heupel did this.
Nate Hybl did this.
Jason White did this.
ENA did this.
Sam Bradford did this.
Landry Jones did this.

Stoops and Dumb and Dumber (Heupel and Norvel) have got this idea that we also need a guy who runs around. Fine. But, make sure he can do the main thing a quarterback is supposed to be able to do - throw the f*cking football down the field!

If not, quit screwing around and just switch to an option offense - and, hire offensive coaches who know how to coach those type of quarterbacks.

Stupid.

BoulderSooner79
11/20/2013, 01:31 PM
The dreaded "concussion", huh.

Yeah, something to joke about I guess. Bell should be tough enough to shake it off if his gray matter crashes into his cranium. Rub some dirt on it.

8timechamps
11/20/2013, 02:31 PM
Steve Collins is getting the start, because we're going to start throwing the ball more.

swardboy
11/20/2013, 02:42 PM

Here in southwest Missouri, the Lamar Tigers run this kind of offense. The two are side-by-side and do a great job of deception as to who has the ball and where exactly it's going. I swear they look like whirling dervishes. They'll be going to the state final game again after being there I think two or three years in a row. Knight and Thompson in that kind of set-up would be an interesting concept, especially given that both can throw.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2013, 03:14 PM
Here in southwest Missouri, the Lamar Tigers run this kind of offense. The two are side-by-side and do a great job of deception as to who has the ball and where exactly it's going. I swear they look like whirling dervishes. They'll be going to the state final game again after being there I think two or three years in a row. Knight and Thompson in that kind of set-up would be an interesting concept, especially given that both can throw.

It's tough for people to defend..We went undefeated in the regular season and won our Super Bowl..I could hear the other coaches trying to predict what we would do, but those kids on defense most of the time had no idea which QB had the ball, especially running QB dive plays....Ran a lot of zone read pass option plays which was were most scoring came from.

sooneron
11/20/2013, 03:21 PM
Try this then the people would come out of the woodwork spouting how we are Oklahoma and we shouldn't have to resort to gimmick schemes...

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2013, 03:26 PM
RUN DA BALL DOWN DER THROATS!

Breadburner
11/20/2013, 04:05 PM
RUN DA BALL DOWN DER THROATS!

So Ghey......!!!

Soonerwake
11/20/2013, 04:50 PM
So Ghey......!!!

STEP = ghey

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2013, 05:16 PM
STEP = ghey

Just as long as you bring da boot

Eielson
11/20/2013, 06:32 PM
Here's the problem: A quarterback stands in the pocket and throws the football to receivers.

Josh Heupel did this.
Nate Hybl did this.
Jason White did this.
ENA did this.
Sam Bradford did this.
Landry Jones did this.

Stoops and Dumb and Dumber (Heupel and Norvel) have got this idea that we also need a guy who runs around. Fine. But, make sure he can do the main thing a quarterback is supposed to be able to do - throw the f*cking football down the field!

If not, quit screwing around and just switch to an option offense - and, hire offensive coaches who know how to coach those type of quarterbacks.

Stupid.

I feel like Stoops has been one of the most loyal coaches out there when it comes to pocket passers. I don't think we brought in any of these guys with the expectation that they wouldn't throw the ball well. KT was called a dual-threat coming out, but I'm pretty sure that was primarily because he was faster than the typical QB. I saw him play a couple games, and the dude barely ever left the pocket (unless he was lining up at WR in the wildcat).

8timechamps
11/20/2013, 07:10 PM
Thompson looked pretty good in his time last Saturday, but the long sideline throw to Bester was ugly. If he hits him 3 or 4 yards downfield, that's a TD. Nonetheless, I really liked that he noticed Bester and made the play. I was more impressed with his TD throw to Ripkowski. That was a tight window and a quick decision.

He looks the part, that's for sure. Spring competition will be very interesting.

BoulderSooner79
11/20/2013, 08:20 PM
Thompson looked pretty good in his time last Saturday, but the long sideline throw to Bester was ugly. If he hits him 3 or 4 yards downfield, that's a TD. Nonetheless, I really liked that he noticed Bester and made the play. I was more impressed with his TD throw to Ripkowski. That was a tight window and a quick decision.

He looks the part, that's for sure. Spring competition will be very interesting.

Too much wind to judge a long throw like that - especially for a guy playing in his first series. Poise and field awareness looked pretty good considering. Hope KT gets a some time Saturday too.

8timechamps
11/20/2013, 08:55 PM
Too much wind to judge a long throw like that - especially for a guy playing in his first series. Poise and field awareness looked pretty good considering. Hope KT gets a some time Saturday too.

It literally happened right in front of me, and I'm sticking to my initial comment, the throw was ugly. Had he been throwing into the wind, I would have felt differently. Also, by that time, the wind had really calmed down (from the start of the game).

More important than the throw was his read on the play. While the throw wasn't pretty, it got the job done and he made the right read. I was impressed.

BoulderSooner79
11/20/2013, 09:29 PM
It literally happened right in front of me, and I'm sticking to my initial comment, the throw was ugly. Had he been throwing into the wind, I would have felt differently. Also, by that time, the wind had really calmed down (from the start of the game).

More important than the throw was his read on the play. While the throw wasn't pretty, it got the job done and he made the right read. I was impressed.

Not disputing it was ugly, I've just been heard so many times that long throws with the wind are the toughest. Against the wind is more predictable if you have the arm strength. I was observing his mechanics, and he clearly was trying to take something off the ball so the it didn't sail - that impressed me. TK had an over the top throw with the wind toward Saunders, and he just threw it way too hard w/o trying to compensate and it was overthrown. But just a single example for a kid on 1 series with a few passes. I will say KT looked much better throwing than TK did in the early games this year. You could tell he was seeing the field.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/21/2013, 02:06 AM
He looked good in his playing time, but that was a terrible defense that had beat down for 3 quarters.. they were completely checked out by the time KT took the field..But like 8x said and I said somewhere(maybe this thread) the pass to the TE is the most impressive..TK or Bell either one would probably try to put some touch on that or loft it in there.

LA.SoonerFan
11/21/2013, 08:30 PM
If TK will learn to throw the ball, Bell will never see another start. He is a more dynamic player. I believe we will be better off against K State with TK in there.

swardboy
11/22/2013, 09:44 AM
Try this then the people would come out of the woodwork spouting how we are Oklahoma and we shouldn't have to resort to gimmick schemes...

True, but so is the old adage: "Winning cures everything."