PDA

View Full Version : A statistical look at our "bad recruiting" db edition

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/18/2013, 08:53 PM
Since there is so much angst about our recruiting rolling around, I thought that I'd look to see if there really was a qualitative difference in our play as a result of our horrid recruiting. The following is a look at our pass defense results for the years 2007 through 2013.

Assumptions
1. Statistics used -> Pass Defense Ranking, Pass Effic Defense Ranking, INTs, Opponent Passing TDs, and Individual INTs. I'm using rankings in order to smooth out some of the hiccups caused by college football changing over time. What I'd like to use is a calculated statistic that ranks all pass defenses based on opponent mean statistics (whether we were +/- compared with their averages). That would smooth out any years where we had an abnormally hard schedule vs the pass. Unfortunately, no such statistic exists
2. We used 4 DBs for most of the years except for 2007 and 2010 where we used 5 almost all year. This makes the average stars look weird.

Hypothesis

My theory going into this was that we'd see more discipline from the 3* guys and more plays from the 4* guys. Meaning that the 3* guys would be out of position less resulting in less overall yards, but the 4*s would have an edge in athleticism producing more INTs. The question is which is more important. A turnover equates to roughly 3.1 more points for OU. However, each 20 ranks in pass defense equates to 2.5 points (roughly).

So what do we see?

http://ouportal.com/screenshots/passdefense.png

So most of the numbers stay even regardless of our star rating. The biggest bouncer is the actual number of pass yards given up which fluctuates all over the place.

Notes:

1. We've had only 1 3* safety -> Quentin Carter. He and Tony Jefferson were also a virtual dead heat in stats those years.
2. We've only had 3 3* corners -> Colvin, Jackson, and Sanchez -> All have been/are really good.

INTs:

Strangely enough, the biggest factor in INTs is not star ranking but age.

Freshmen (Players/INTs)
3* - 1/0 - Avg 0
4* - 1/2 - Avg 2

Sophomores (Players/INTs)
3* - 1/0 - Avg 0
4* - 2/5 - Avg 2.5

Juniors (Players/INTs)
3* - 3/10 - Avg 3.3
4* - 8/23 - Avg 2.9

Seniors (Players/INTs)
3* - 4/10 - Avg 2.5
4* - 10/25 - Avg 2.5

Conclusions

Based on results thus far, there really isn't any reason to freak out about lowly ranked DBs at this point. Statistically everything is right in line with what we had with "higher" ranked classes and has had much less variance. My initial hypothesis was 1/2 right and 1/2 undetermined. Our INT totals went down last year but are back up this year. Need more data on that one.

Thoughts?

Btw, run defense is going to be tougher as I'm going to have DL/LB/S in that one. It will probably be too much, but we'll see.

Soonerwake
11/18/2013, 09:13 PM
That's impressive. I have no idea what it says, but I'm impressed nonetheless...

So, our recruiting of DBs is ok?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/18/2013, 09:21 PM
That's impressive. I have no idea what it says, but I'm impressed nonetheless...

So, our recruiting of DBs is ok?

Yes and No. One thing that isn't covered is how guys who start as freshmen typically pass on their senior years. The only one in this scenario is Reggie Smith (who left in 2007), but it was a bigger problem before.

soonerhubs
11/18/2013, 09:33 PM
What software did you use? What confounds were controlled for in the regression model?

soonerhubs
11/18/2013, 09:34 PM
Also, thanks for doing this. I love stats!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/18/2013, 09:38 PM
What software did you use? What confounds were controlled for in the regression model?

Excel. The only regression I did was to test if any other statistics were linear to the avg stars. It was inconclusive on this.

Soonerjeepman
11/18/2013, 10:01 PM
so...ya doing dline and oline? guess yrds running, giving up sacks, etc...

DrZaius
11/18/2013, 10:22 PM
You could be my perfect wife, of course except for the penis thing and sharing my razor....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/18/2013, 10:29 PM
so...ya doing dline and oline? guess yrds running, giving up sacks, etc...

Yeah, some things are going to be easier than others. The plan is to do position groupings and then total numbers for all 11.

soonerhubs
11/18/2013, 10:37 PM
I'd like to see the data set. We could have some fun with R. Message me jkm, if you wanna play. :)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/19/2013, 01:02 AM
I'd like to see the data set. We could have some fun with R. Message me jkm, if you wanna play. :)

I'll hand it off to you once I get it all compiled. You can play with it all you want ;)

Bourbon St Sooner
11/19/2013, 11:47 AM
So, what I see there is 2009 and 2013 were our best passing D's and also the lowest average stars from the recruiting services. Sounds about right.

Widescreen
11/19/2013, 11:58 AM
This is a tough one because each segment of the defense directly impacts the other segments. If there's no pass rush, you're going to see higher completion percentages. If you have bad back-side coverage, you're not going to see as many sacks.

sooneron
11/19/2013, 02:48 PM
So, what I see there is 2009 and 2013 were our best passing D's and also the lowest average stars from the recruiting services. Sounds about right.

They were also the years when the conference was down, esp as far as offensive output is concerned. How many juggernauts in 09 and this year? One team comes to mind for this year. Whereas, in 2008, you had potent offenses with McCoy, Booger, Harrell etc.

It's an interesting stat breakdown, but you can't account for quality of competition.

beached_sooner
11/19/2013, 02:58 PM
For the "Pass Defense" and the "Pass Efficiency Defense" where did you get the numbers? Are these the rankings of OU against all other D-I schools at the end of the year?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/19/2013, 03:25 PM
For the "Pass Defense" and the "Pass Efficiency Defense" where did you get the numbers? Are these the rankings of OU against all other D-I schools at the end of the year?

Yes from the ncaa website. I have raw numbers as well, but the difference between top 20 and top 60 is typically 70 yards/game

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/19/2013, 03:25 PM
They were also the years when the conference was down, esp as far as offensive output is concerned. How many juggernauts in 09 and this year? One team comes to mind for this year. Whereas, in 2008, you had potent offenses with McCoy, Booger, Harrell etc.

It's an interesting stat breakdown, but you can't account for quality of competition.

Totally agree. That is why I have that "I wish I had this stat" comment.

Temujin
11/19/2013, 04:30 PM
Good stuff man. What I find kind of surprising is I would expect statistics like INTs and Pass TDs to be all over the place from season to season, and for overall pass defense to be steady.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/19/2013, 04:44 PM
Good stuff man. What I find kind of surprising is I would expect statistics like INTs and Pass TDs to be all over the place from season to season, and for overall pass defense to be steady.

I actually thought of another dimension to add to the numbers (years experience) to see if it would show any correlation but it didnt'. The most experienced years were last year and 2007. The 3 years that were a virtual tie (2009,2010, this year) are actually some of our better pass defenses.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/19/2013, 04:46 PM
This is a tough one because each segment of the defense directly impacts the other segments. If there's no pass rush, you're going to see higher completion percentages. If you have bad back-side coverage, you're not going to see as many sacks.

The other problem is that if your run defense is poor your pass defense is going to look pretty good (see last year which also had an abnormally low sack percentage too). My plan is to see individual units pass/run then do the entire defense pass/run. This was more of a pilot to see if the number shook out.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/20/2013, 11:10 AM

You sound like Bob Stoops. Careful, you're going to have toothless bammer boy crying in his post toasties if you dare to mention that the level of offenses you play has anything to do with how your defenses rank.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the level of competition overall, but that 2009 D held title game bound pony boy to 16 points. In 2008 pony boy scored 45. 2009 had the benefit of having Gerald McCoy dominating the LOS also.

soonerhubs
11/20/2013, 11:21 PM
I'll hand it off to you once I get it all compiled. You can play with it all you want ;)
Thanks, good sir.

OkieThunderLion
11/22/2013, 12:14 AM
What I see - considering competition faced - the 2009 OU defense may have shockingly been the best of the Stoops era. Meltdown in Lubbock aside.