PDA

View Full Version : re:Blake Bell. Sooner fans needs to show a little class

FaninAma
11/17/2013, 04:31 PM
I've noticed on some of the other message boards(not son much this board)a tendency by a lot of so-called fans to pile on Blake's recent misfortunes.

Let's not forget this young man has been a good and loyal Sooner. He has done everything the coaches have asked him to do. He didn't whine and complain after TK was named the starting QB this summer. His parents don't take to the airwaves ala KT's dad to lobby for playing time.

he is only the second QB in OU history to lead his team to a win over Notre Dame. He played very well against an undefeated TT team. He did have bad games in both the Texas and Baylor games but every QB who has played at OU has had a few clunkers especially in their first year as starting QB.

Personally, I support whichever QB the coaches decide to start. However, I think it is the epitomy of being a fair weather fan to denigrate a kid who has done everything asked of him on and off the field by his coaching staff. Have a little perspective and don't be one of those "fans".

Scott D
11/17/2013, 04:34 PM
I've noticed on some of the other message boards(not son much this board)a tendency fby a lot of so-called fans to pile on Blake's recent misfortunes.

Let's not forget this young man has been a good and loyal Sooner. He has done everything the coaches have asked him to do. He didn't whine and complain after TK was named the starting QB this summer. His parents don't take to the airwaves ala KT's dad to lobby for playing time.

he is only the second QB in OU history to lead his team to a win over Notre Dame. He played very well against an undefeated TT team. He did have bad games in both the Texas and Baylor games but every QB who has played at OU has had a few clunkers especially in their first year as starting QB.

Personally, I support whichever QB the coaches decide to start. However, I think it is the epitomy of being a fair weather fan to denigrate a kid who has done everything asked of him on and off the field by his coaching staff. Have a little perspective and don't be one of those "fans".

Good post, but it's too late me thinks. the era of the "little league parent" fan is much too strong for common sense to ever overtake it.

cherokeebrewer
11/17/2013, 05:00 PM
I agree and will add this: The 'fat' comments directed at Bob Stoops in the Iowa State game thread were disgraceful...

olevetonahill
11/17/2013, 05:21 PM
Ive always Liked the Kid. Just never thot he had 'IT" to be the starter. I truly wish him well in what ever he does in life.

FaninAma
11/17/2013, 05:25 PM
I agree and will add this: The 'fat' comments directed at Bob Stoops in the Iowa State game thread were disgraceful...
I agree as a miidle-aged man with a bit of a belly. Sorry but between working 60+ hours a week on most weeks and keeping up with kids I just find it hard to get motivated to exercise like I know I should.

As far as the players I simply think about my own kids being in their position. And I have had 2 daughters participate in intercollegiate D-1 programs and I understand that their athletic careers are completely under the control of the coaching staff. As a parent you can simply hope the coaches are fair and competent in their oversight of the program. Other than that nobody has any control over what happens on the field of play other than the coaches.

dennis580
11/17/2013, 05:39 PM
Yea we shouldn't forget the great games he had against Tulsa, and on the road against Notre Dame in his first 2 starts. He showed such promised. Not sure why he has regressed so much.

Johnny Utah
11/17/2013, 05:47 PM

Not nearly as disgraceful as criticizing Bell or any other player for that matter. Bob Stoops is a "grown-*** man" who makes a huge amount of money.

Temujin
11/17/2013, 05:48 PM
I truly feel bad for Blake, because as I watch him it's just clear that he's gotten by so far on his incredible athletic ability and toughness. Those are great qualities, and to be honest something we've been missing at times. All he needs is refinement, and because of that his confidence is down. I'm just not sure that he'll get that here.

yermom
11/17/2013, 06:05 PM
we have gotten a lot of Ws and TDs out of that kid.

it's just a weird situation, but it parallels what happened when he got the starting job. people were cheering for him when Knight was hurt in a very similar way. something just isn't right with him running the offense. the coaches liked Knight better at the beginning of the season, now it seems he might be showing us why.

I wonder what he might look like at FB throwing a Bester-like pass on occasion or running on short yardage plays. how soft are his hands? i'd hate to see him just ride the bench as a backup, when we have seen him be pretty potent when needed in certain roles

Widescreen
11/17/2013, 06:44 PM
I'm not a fan of running down the players although I'm sure I've done it on occasion. I'm sure Blake is doing the best he can under the circumstances. I believe he would be farther along if Heupel was simply his QB coach.

Speaking of Heupel, I'm pretty ashamed at how some people are talking about him - particularly at Landthieves. It's pretty obvious he's not getting the job done but he's still a great Sooner who put the team on his shoulders and led us to a national championship. For that, he will always have my respect regardless of whatever else he does as a coach.

DrZaius
11/17/2013, 07:03 PM
Nothing wrong with Bell. I thought he had the better winning attitude even when Landry was still playing. He just is not a QB, and there is nothing wrong with that.

LRoss
11/17/2013, 07:05 PM
I genuinely wish you good luck in your attempt to encourage people to be reasonable and decent on the internet.

I gave up years ago.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/17/2013, 07:07 PM
Speaking of Heupel, I'm pretty ashamed at how some people are talking about him - particularly at Landthieves.

Dude, it is owned by ShaggyBevo. You know the site set up specifically for those banned from Hornfans for achieving a new level of nastiness.

SoonerShay
11/17/2013, 07:10 PM
It's weird seeing a fanbase (admittedly a diverse one, but bare with me) that usually complains about people being too PC nowadays. Be mad at a parent for not being PC.

What would Blake Bell's parents even have to complain about really? He has gotten playing time since he was a freshman. He also has played in every single game this year.

I agree though that bad mouthing any players that chooses to play for the school and team we all love, is a joke.

olevetonahill
11/17/2013, 07:13 PM
Dude, it is owned by ShaggyBevo. You know the site set up specifically for those banned from Hornfans for achieving a new level of nastiness.

I dint Know that, Knew I dint care for the Place tho.

olevetonahill
11/17/2013, 07:16 PM
It's weird seeing a fanbase (admittedly a diverse one, but bare with me) that usually complains about people being too PC nowadays. Be mad at a parent for not being PC.

What would Blake Bell's parents even have to complain about really? He has gotten playing time since he was a freshman. He also has played in every single game this year.

I agree though that bad mouthing any players that chooses to play for the school and team we all love, is a joke.

I take it you wernt around here for the Hybl Years huh ?

cherokeebrewer
11/17/2013, 07:33 PM
Not nearly as disgraceful as criticizing Bell or any other player for that matter. Bob Stoops is a "grown-*** man" who makes a huge amount of money.

Not sure what that has to do with "fat" comments, but you would be hard pressed to find me ever criticizing any OU player...

Johnny Utah
11/17/2013, 07:46 PM
Not sure what that has to do with "fat" comments, but you would be hard pressed to find me ever criticizing any OU player...

I just found it interesting that in a thread started to call out player criticism you chose to defend the HC.

David Earl
11/17/2013, 08:56 PM
Excellent post. Blake has worked hard and deserves our courtesy and respect.

picasso
11/17/2013, 09:09 PM

Not surprising. Stoops told Eschbach on the radio that when he got here he ran and worked out every day.
Before kids and knee surgery.

Mjcpr
11/17/2013, 09:12 PM
He didn't have kids when he got here?

badger
11/17/2013, 09:33 PM
I hope I never care more about winning than being a good person, Internet or not.

Admittedly, I find it hard to sympathize with someone with the talent and opportunities hat Blake has had at ou. That doesn't mean I Cheer about or relish his injury that led to tk and Kendal getting to play Saturday

Is what it is. We can't control the rest of our fanbase on the Internet anymore than stoops can stop fans from changing the national anthem

olevetonahill
11/17/2013, 10:10 PM
Excellent post. Blake has worked hard and deserves our courtesy and respect.

As do ALL that Put on the Uniform

AzianSooner
11/17/2013, 11:10 PM
It seems like a 2nd grade class room. Parents keep calling in complain about their kids not playing QBs.

BoulderSooner79
11/18/2013, 12:36 AM

Yeah - he's just "big boned".

sooneron
11/18/2013, 12:51 AM
GMAB, Bob has nutritionists and trainers at his disposal. And that's just the free ****. Think of what he could afford! The dude has let himself go.

JLMSOONER
11/18/2013, 09:04 AM
The comments directed at Stoops had more to do with the fact that he appears to have become lazy both in his physical fitness and more importantly his coaching. Yes, he wins a lot of games for us and we are not on the front page of the newspaper every week. But, I think the comments were suggesting complacency. It started after a comment about his level of excitement on the sideline. He gets paid a lot of money to put the product on the field.

badger
11/18/2013, 09:18 AM
I don't think the Nike sideline sweatshirts make you look as svelte as perhaps the short sleeved Dri-fit polos :P

David Earl
11/18/2013, 09:24 AM
It costs us nothing to be decent and respectful towards others.

During the emotions of a game, especially poor performance by our team, it is easy to get caught up and over react. A small gut on a coach becomes "he's lazy and doesn't care any more." Outside the emotion of the game we see people all the time that aren't in great shape yet we know good and well they aren't lazy, etc.

When our emotions are running wild, it costs us nothing to get hold of ourselves and show a little respect, restraint, and decorum. It amazes me we laugh uncontrollably at fans of other schools when they let themselves lose control and post their emotive, wild overreactions. If other fans look foolish when they do that, then so do we.

Therefore, show a little class, a little restraint, a little respect. It costs nothing.

C&CDean
11/18/2013, 09:44 AM
What's funny is that the ones criticizing Stoops the loudest are fat, doughy little pissants themselves and have zero room to talk. Besides, Stoops is on my side of 50, and keeping that **** off is a lot harder than it used to be. Besides, if I was making a few mil a year I'd be eating like a hog.

David Earl
11/18/2013, 10:01 AM
Or, yeah, you could put it that way... like what Dean said.

BoulderSooner79
11/18/2013, 10:15 AM
What's funny is that the ones criticizing Stoops the loudest are fat, doughy little pissants themselves and have zero room to talk. Besides, Stoops is on my side of 50, and keeping that **** off is a lot harder than it used to be. Besides, if I was making a few mil a year I'd be eating like a hog.

Fat a**

:black_eyed:

picasso
11/18/2013, 10:37 AM
Geeze.

JLMSOONER
11/18/2013, 10:45 AM
Again, the comments started with the fact that there is some complacency in coaching the last few years. I seriously doubt that most of those that are offended have not said something derogatory concerning the coaching, play calling, etc. Sure most everyone gains a few pounds. Hell, I could stand to lose 3 or 4 pounds myself. The point was more directed at the product on the field that he is being paid to put out there. It digressed a tad. I guess these are the only comments that have ever done that on this board? I'm not sure why so many are butt hurt over this. Seems a tad sensitive to me considering some of the things that are written here. I guess it is a matter of perspective.

PrideMom
11/18/2013, 11:09 AM
This whole thread needs to be eliminated. No one wants a player to get hurt in a game, but Blake had his chance and he did not improve his skills. He would make a great full-back for blocking, and since Millard is out and could carry the ball every now and then. I see nothing wrong in cheering for anyone that comes into the game. All the players work harder than anyone can imagine to just get to play 12 games........

David Earl
11/18/2013, 11:20 AM
Who said anything about being offended? Just because a person believes certain comments are classless and/or clueless doesn't mean said person is offended.

Tear Down This Wall
11/18/2013, 11:38 AM
I've noticed on some of the other message boards(not son much this board)a tendency by a lot of so-called fans to pile on Blake's recent misfortunes.

You're talking about the same fans who constantly wanted Landry Jones benched. Buttholes, I call them.

cherokeebrewer
11/18/2013, 11:39 AM
To see the real genuine fat, spend some time in the Walmart parking lot...

badger
11/18/2013, 11:47 AM
I see nothing wrong in cheering for anyone that comes into the game

I think the issue was more with cheering that someone was out rather than someone else going in. Back when I was in the student section in the early aughts, some were begging Nate to get pulled for any reason, including injury. It was not what you'd expect or hope to hear from "fans." :(

BoulderSooner79
11/18/2013, 12:46 PM
I think the issue was more with cheering that someone was out rather than someone else going in. Back when I was in the student section in the early aughts, some were begging Nate to get pulled for any reason, including injury. It was not what you'd expect or hope to hear from "fans." :(

All fans bases do this, although the extent varies with region and culture. They get all caught up in the drama of the contest and forget it's just a game and the players are really (young) people. I see no fix to this short of equipping each fan with a remotely controlled shock collar.

badger
11/18/2013, 01:07 PM
I see no fix to this short of equipping each fan with a remotely controlled shock collar.

Any fan who unequips shock collar gets tackled by Trooper Orr

Scott D
11/18/2013, 01:32 PM

That was just Soonerus on a mega phone ;)

badger
11/18/2013, 01:45 PM
That was just Soonerus on a mega phone ;)

Oh yes, because nobody hates Hybl as much as Rus :P

Kidding aside (I've never seen Rus say anything bad about Hybl here, in fact the opposite) I actually heard some chanting "Hit Hybl harder" at one point, followed by someone persistently exclaiming "It's not Nate's fault! C'mon Nate!" throughout the rest of the season.

So, Blake is like the Nate Hybl for this generation of OU students to either gripe about or defend vigorously. I hope this means he ends his career with a Big 12 title and Rose Bowl MVP :)

sooneron
11/18/2013, 03:42 PM

Pissant? Yes. Doughy, no. I know how hard it is, the guy HAS the access if he so desires...

thecrimsoncrusader
11/18/2013, 06:23 PM
Despite Bell's problems in the 2nd half of the season, I will never forget all of his rushing TDs in his career, his 4 TDs in the first half against Texas, him leading the Sooners to a win over Notre Dame and he DID lead and that big "all heart" TD run he had against Oklahoma St. to put that game into OT last season.

David Earl
11/18/2013, 06:43 PM
He DID lead and that big "all heart" TD run he had against Oklahoma St. to put that game into OT last season.

Permanently fixed his place in Sooner lore.

I Am Right
11/18/2013, 07:44 PM
Oh Geeez, I am just not as nice a person as you are.