PDA

View Full Version : anyone think Stoops fires or demotes Heupel

OU_Sooners75
11/15/2013, 11:52 AM
After this season?

I don't.

It took him 3 years to figure out that Shipp, Kittle, and Patton needed to be gone.

rock on sooner
11/15/2013, 11:58 AM
I would hope that Josh does a self evaluation, takes it to Bob and
asks to come back to the sidelines, lets Norvel go upstairs and they
co-coordinate, with Josh spending time in the ear of whichever QB
just came off the field. What? Oh, you say I'm dreaming? Well,
I guess those jalapenos were a little much.

sooneron
11/15/2013, 12:00 PM
Geez, did it take that long for Kittle? ugh.

I don't want him fired. I think he should go back to QB coach. Look at what happened to Landry in 11/12 after Josh moved upstairs. He didn't progress.

badger
11/15/2013, 12:09 PM
I miss seeing the pre-punt conferences Josh used to have with the quarterbacks after failing to convert on third down. They really seemed to help out everyone from ENA to Landry.

You used to see a lot of fundamental little things in our quarterbacks on the field --- pretending you still had the ball after a quick handoff, really solid motions after the snap, etc. Maybe I'm just not paying attention anymore, but I'm not seeing that anymore

thecrimsoncrusader
11/15/2013, 12:12 PM
I don't see Coach Stoops demoting/firing Josh Heupel, but I do see Mike Stoops doing it. The same guy that got Patton, Kittle and Shipp fired. I want Heupel to stick around as QB coach, just not as the offensive play-caller or even having input into the offensive scheme. OU needs an offensive coordinator from the outside along with an actual offensive scheme. I don't even know how to label OU's offense outside of a cluster cluck.

BigTip
11/15/2013, 12:22 PM
I don't even know how to label OU's offense outside of a cluster cluck.
Obviously....you do.
Accurately too!

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2013, 12:26 PM
The stats don't lie, so if there is any accountability for the coaches, there doesn't appear to be much choice. There is the matter of timing, so there is nothing magic about the end of *this* year. But even looking at the entire body of work reveals serious issues. Our offense folded in all 3 losses last year as well. It's a tough choice for Stoops since Josh is a Sooner hero from the past and there is no chance some other team hires him away.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/15/2013, 12:37 PM
I think the question is as simple as "Would any college football program out there want Josh Heupel as an offensive coordinator?". I don't see any other answer than "no". I think Josh Heupel was worth taking a chance on, but unfortunately, it just hasn't worked out as hoped.

TheUnnamedSooner
11/15/2013, 12:39 PM
No, first year qb. Take that along with the last couple years recruiting more running qb's. You saw in the first couple games with TK, there was more of a zone read/running attack. Bell gets the nod and goes back to more spread. I would think a lot of the offseason was spent switching the offense, so the whole lack of identity makes sense to me. I wouldn't expect any changes in OC for another 2 years just because of the changes made. IMHO from just an observer.

badger
11/15/2013, 12:46 PM
In our two losses, we only put up 12 and 20 points. In wins, we *only* scored in the mid-30s usually, with a few outliers (16 against WVU, 51 against Tulsa)

In the SEC or B1G, you can get away with that by saying you're a bruising hard noses offense fighting for every yard blah blah. Not in the Big 12.

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2013, 01:28 PM
In our two losses, we only put up 12 and 20 points. In wins, we *only* scored in the mid-30s usually, with a few outliers (16 against WVU, 51 against Tulsa)

In the SEC or B1G, you can get away with that by saying you're a bruising hard noses offense fighting for every yard blah blah. Not in the Big 12.

And our 3 losses last year, it was 19, 13 and 13 points with a QB and system that JH knows very well. I understand the point about attempting to go to an option run game with a dual threat QB. But falling back to Bell should not have been that bad. This is Bell's 4th year in the system as well as for many of the other players on offense. I'm one of the few that would rather not go to a running QB scheme, but if we do, I think we should have an OC that has successfully orchestrated such an offense.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/15/2013, 01:42 PM

I don't want him fired. I think he should go back to QB coach. Look at what happened to Landry in 11/12 after Josh moved upstairs. He didn't progress.

I really don't understand the angst on Kittle. He took a QB and turned him into a Top 10 pick in the NFL draft at OT. I don't know about you, but that is what we call "coaching" where I'm from.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/15/2013, 01:44 PM
Josh is at the same point that Venables was in 2007. He is taking shortcuts on his own position to try and make the offense better. The problem is, much like with Venables, he coaches the KEY position that makes his side of the ball work. It didn't work with Brent and I doubt it works with Josh.

Okie35
11/15/2013, 02:06 PM
Demoted please.

EatLeadCommie
11/15/2013, 05:00 PM
I don't see Coach Stoops demoting/firing Josh Heupel, but I do see Mike Stoops doing it. The same guy that got Patton, Kittle and Shipp fired. I want Heupel to stick around as QB coach, just not as the offensive play-caller or even having input into the offensive scheme. OU needs an offensive coordinator from the outside along with an actual offensive scheme. I don't even know how to label OU's offense outside of a cluster cluck.

Please elaborate.

EatLeadCommie
11/15/2013, 05:02 PM
And if the offense keeps clunking along like it is with an inconsistent QB and zero identity, then yes, I think he will be back on the sidelines-- assuming he is willing to take the de facto demotion. I don't know if Norvell would be any better, but I do know Josh is best when he's in the QB's ear. Whoever said LJ's progress stopped once Josh went upstairs nailed it.

cleller
11/15/2013, 07:13 PM
I will always like Josh. He did us proud.

Something is wrong now, though, and a listless, guilty apathy seems to overtake me when coaching questions are posed.

JLEW1818
11/15/2013, 10:08 PM
I would hope that Josh does a self evaluation, takes it to Bob and
asks to come back to the sidelines, lets Norvel go upstairs and they
co-coordinate, with Josh spending time in the ear of whichever QB
just came off the field. What? Oh, you say I'm dreaming? Well,
I guess those jalapenos were a little much.

Why do either of them deserve to be on the team?

sooneron
11/15/2013, 11:35 PM
I really don't understand the angst on Kittle. He took a QB and turned him into a Top 10 pick in the NFL draft at OT. I don't know about you, but that is what we call "coaching" where I'm from.
I don't get you're singling me out constantly the last few days, seeing as how I usually got your back... but to call Kittle's reign anything more than less than mediocre would be silly imo.
He took ONE diamond in the rough and made the neffel take note of the kid's intangibles. Did he really do that? I dunno. I think it was the kid, FWIW.
If he's good, why is he still jobless at the moment? The guy was never qualified to be at a major school.

OkieThunderLion
11/16/2013, 12:48 AM
Fans like scapegoats. Play-callers make the easiest targets!

kenth68
11/16/2013, 05:58 AM
I still can't stand this whole "co-coordinator" thing going on. Sounds like PC feel good give Josh a fancy new title... Just make Norvell the offensive coordinator and put Josh back full time on QB, something he knows well. Hell, the whole meerkat business before so many plays makes me think Josh and Norvell are up there arguing over what to run instead of just making a decision and sticking with it.

I know at work, I couldn't get anything done with someone trying to make decisions WITH me.

ObiKaTony
11/16/2013, 08:59 AM
Fans like scapegoats. Play-callers make the easiest targets!

Well it kinda worked out when stoops fired venebles and brought mike in. Coaching is much more valuable at the college level than the nfl. Our offense sucks, and change needs to happen. I advocated change for years stating venebles needed to go away, once it happened we magically got back to number 1 total defense in the big 12 instead of 8th. Josh isnt cutting it, he doesn't have a plan, the offense looks lost, and I honestly couldn't tell you why offense we run from game to game...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/16/2013, 12:11 PM
I don't get you're singling me out constantly the last few days, seeing as how I usually got your back... but to call Kittle's reign anything more than less than mediocre would be silly imo.
He took ONE diamond in the rough and made the neffel take note of the kid's intangibles. Did he really do that? I dunno. I think it was the kid, FWIW.
If he's good, why is he still jobless at the moment? The guy was never qualified to be at a major school.

He was only coach here for what 2 years? The major complaint that I heard was that he was crucified on the recruiting trail by other schools for having no experience. So I agree he shouldn't have been hired here, but like I said as a coach, he didn't do too bad (1 1st round and 1 3rd round draft pick).

edit: heh, and the "I think it was the kid" argument isn't like you. You can't say that a coach is responsible for all the bad, but can't get credit for the good unless he is an offensive coordinator.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/16/2013, 12:13 PM
The one name that I don't see on this list that is bizarre to me -> Joe Jon Finley. He is in charge of offensive quality control.

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2013, 12:48 PM
AT least we're on fire in the 1st qts. 1 first down and 15 yards.

ashley
11/16/2013, 01:40 PM
No. He has a horrible QB. Try calling plays with a QB like we have.

OU_Sooners75
11/16/2013, 03:44 PM

Don't act like it was all Kittle.

The problem with Kittle is, well we are seeing it. Lack of depth on the OL, especially OT.

I love your sunshine view, but holy hell, Kittle was a terrible coach and recruiter.

OU_Sooners75
11/16/2013, 03:46 PM

He was only coach here for what 2 years? The major complaint that I heard was that he was crucified on the recruiting trail by other schools for having no experience. So I agree he shouldn't have been hired here, but like I said as a coach, he didn't do too bad (1 1st round and 1 3rd round draft pick).

edit: heh, and the "I think it was the kid" argument isn't like you. You can't say that a coach is responsible for all the bad, but can't get credit for the good unless he is an offensive coordinator.

He had very little with either of their developments.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/16/2013, 04:25 PM

according to who? Are you saying he didn't coach at all? You come across with these absolutes that totally defy logic. The coach of the offensive tackles had nothing to do with the success of 2 guys good enough to be drafted in the 1st and 3rd rounds. Did they have a restraining order against him? Lane Johnson was a preferred walkon, are you saying he had no say in whether he was allowed to?

Like I said, he was a huge target for negative recruiting which is why he shouldn't have been here. That doesn't have anything to do with developing players.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/16/2013, 04:42 PM
No. He has a horrible QB. Try calling plays with a QB like we have.

Wow, we should fire the guy responsible for giving him those horrible QBs. oh wait.

champions77
11/18/2013, 12:52 PM

+1 Mike will be the force that changes Josh H coaching duties. Big obstacle is Josh's sister being married to Dan Boren, son of David Boren. Based on performance, I don't see how you can keep Josh calling plays. Not since the days of Joe Dickinson have a seen more disjointed, ill conceived game plans and play calling than what Josh has rolled out this year. Gosh it almost seems like a spread offensive mind calling plays for a "zone read" type of attack. Never was he more inept than the pass called in our last drive against Baylor before halftime. We hadn't shown the ability to go ten yards, much less go 40 or 50 for a field goal with less than 2 minutes left before halftime. Baylor intercepts....scores and makes it 24-5 at half. Ballgame.

hvhurricane
11/18/2013, 09:18 PM
He is about equal to Dick Winder

Snrinhouston
11/18/2013, 09:40 PM
I think it depends on how the rest of the season shakes out. Lose two of the next three (I'm assuming a bowl game) in a way resembles the pathetic offense we've seen at times, then I think Heupel is gone.

FlatLander
11/18/2013, 10:09 PM
I think after the ND game the opposing team had plenty of film on Bell and schemed to defend everyone on the field except Bell. Realizing that if he runs they could pretty easily tackle him and the completion percentage was a non-factor. Being at the game on Saturday you could sense that ISU cared less about Bell. Sounds like a thread steal here but my point is, I don't think whatever the OC called had much of a chance. With TK or KT we'll see how that plays out.

OU_Sooners75
11/18/2013, 11:44 PM

according to who? Are you saying he didn't coach at all? You come across with these absolutes that totally defy logic. The coach of the offensive tackles had nothing to do with the success of 2 guys good enough to be drafted in the 1st and 3rd rounds. Did they have a restraining order against him? Lane Johnson was a preferred walkon, are you saying he had no say in whether he was allowed to?

Like I said, he was a huge target for negative recruiting which is why he shouldn't have been here. That doesn't have anything to do with developing players.

He coached the position two years at OU. And I. Those two years he had one very talented OT, Williams, handed to him and another talented one, Lane, that was very athletic and the best on the line.

It isn't like Kittles was there for 5 or 6 years and actually developed any of the OTs or TEs.

His best experience coaching before OU was ONE season as an assistant in High School.

Hell at the time of his hiring, I had more coaching experience than he had!

I'm sure he was a heck of a man with great integrity. But so are a lot of other people, doesn't mean they can coach and recruit!