PDA

View Full Version : SOONERS ... Dallas Cowboys?

pappy
11/14/2013, 03:06 AM
I'm not a Dallas Cowboys fan. However Dallas has a lot of prestige and most of their fans will remind you of the Super Bowls in the 90's or however many they have won overall. Anybody on here a Dallas Cowboys fan? I'm betting you really enjoy, listening to their lackadaisical excuses week in and week out and there acceptance of mediocrity. I heard on Monday Jerry Jones was excited and defending his coaching staff and team because they are currently in 1st place in the NFC East. Who cares that they are 5-5 right now, because hey they're tied for 1st in the worst division in the NFL. Who cares that realistically they aren't going to be competing for a Super Bowl this year or next year and so on...

I get the Dallas Cowboys vibe from Bob Stoops. "we got another big 12 championship" or "we are proud to share the big 12 championship with K-State" Or before the season Bob was asked about competing with the SEC and he said "Well which SEC teams are talking about?" (obviously defending the fact that the SEC is over hyped and they are great at the top but have some bad teams towards the bottom just like any conference) The fact of the matter is...the question is competing against oh I don't know...Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia. All of whom except for possibly Florida would beat OU by at least 2 touchdowns this year, no doubt.

But hey at least we are competing for that Big 12 Championship or at least a share of it, right? (Well not this year.)

Coaching matters more in football than any other of the major sports (Basketball, Baseball, Football) just ask the 2012 Saints who didn't have Sean Payton for the season. Ask the current Baylor Bears team...Art Bryles isn't out recruiting a lot of the teams they are ranked a head of right now. Ask the Texas Longhorns they have one of the best recruiting classes year in and year out and as long as Mack is still their head coach they aren't competing for a national title again. Ask Ohio State...they were 6-7 the season before Urban Meyer came to town and he is 21-0 with those players. If Saban (God forbid) leaves Alabama and goes to Texas...Stoops won't beat Texas again until Saban retires I'd bet my entire year's salary on it.

The fact is and some of you haven't accepted it or turn a blind eye to it or just don't want to accept it...if the playing field is even and the opposing team has a good coach...Stoops is going to lose. Don't tell me about his record against Texas...I already pointed out that Mack Brown is not that good of a coach.

Also I hate when a coach says "we just didn't come ready to play today" Reporters never follow that up with "Well, why didn't you come ready to play today?" just a lame excuse for a coach to get out of some of the blame.

But Stoops is such a great guy and a classy guy...I couldn't care less. All I want from a football coach is W's.

Unfortunately, OU is stuck in the but if we get rid of Stoops who are we going to get that's better boat.

SoonerMarkVA
11/14/2013, 08:01 AM
But Stoops is such a great guy and a classy guy...I couldn't care less. All I want from a football coach is W's.

I want both. This is why I would welcome Saban to ut. If Stoops can't find internal motivation to raise up the program, then maybe the prospect of 3-4 conference losses every year will do it--and I believe it will. Stoops has done it, and can do it again. He may need to spill some more blood to get there, but if he's on the losing end of things I see him doing whatever's necessary.

stoopified
11/14/2013, 08:25 AM
Sorry the comparison is fail.UT is a better comparsison to Dllas.Wins and lossses irrelevant because Orange Cows are a cash machine.

badger
11/14/2013, 09:10 AM
And I hate the Dallas Cowboys :(:(:(:(

TheUnnamedSooner
11/14/2013, 09:37 AM
I don't think stoops ever said he was proud to share the big 12 championship with Kstate. In fact I think he said something more along the lines of "We didn't make the rules on how they hand out trophies" or "How's that one true champion thing working for them".

Also, given our history, I wouldn't trade Stoops' clean program for a coach that will do anything for w's. It's not worth getting back in the doghouse with the NCAA.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/14/2013, 10:15 AM
I want both. This is why I would welcome Saban to ut. If Stoops can't find internal motivation to raise up the program, then maybe the prospect of 3-4 conference losses every year will do it--and I believe it will. Stoops has done it, and can do it again. He may need to spill some more blood to get there, but if he's on the losing end of things I see him doing whatever's necessary.

Agreed. Saban to whorn would be good for us. It would put the whorns back on the map and get kids Texas and all of Southwest more interested in playing in the B12. Right now I think the B12 looks like the WAC.

Plus yes I believe it'd bring out a different level of competitiveness in Bob. Dont jump all over me for this one, I believe he's a naturally competitive guy and I dont believe he is just coasting. Just think Saban would be on fire to put UT in the dance, and Bob and staff would rise to the occasion.

Position Limit
11/14/2013, 10:19 AM
yes we are a fraud. we have been for about 11 years. ou has had to beat 1 team most years to win confrence or play in bcs games. fraud.

ouleaf
11/18/2013, 04:12 PM
I'm a converted Cowboys fan now...I wasn't always one though. Jumped on the Bandwagon when they drafted TRRW and have been following them ever since. Hell, I even live right next to their Valley Ranch HQ (sad they are moving to Frisco next year). I do feel like there are some parallels between the Sooners & Cowboys. Both have failed to live up to their fans expectations in recent years, but I think at least OU is a bit easier to fix.

I could probably write a book on what's plaguing the Cowboys

1) Bad Draft History
2) Bad Contracts/Restructuring Deals
3) Tony Romo debate
4) O-Line
5) Injuries

I'm honestly not sure the if the ship will ever be righted while Jerry Jones is still at the helm. He is a great salesman in that he is only going to show you what is bright and shiny and appealing, and not show you the flaws. You would too if it's your business and are wanting to sell to your audience/market of customers.

It is definitely frustrating to watch both teams struggle a bit right now, but with each season there is always renewed hope that things will improve.

picasso
11/18/2013, 04:19 PM
These threads crack me up.
We can argue all day about game plans, preparedness and adjustments but you guys that whine about what Stoops says in a press conference baffle me.

picasso
11/18/2013, 05:19 PM
yes we are a fraud. we have been for about 11 years. ou has had to beat 1 team most years to win confrence or play in bcs games. fraud.

Wow. Sounds kike the Big 8.

todd_shelton87
11/18/2013, 08:59 PM
Yes, you have a few similarities between a pro football team and college. Both, are incredibly frustrating to follow or watch.

These days, they both tend to be overated/hyped, but therw seems to be an arrogance or complacency that Bob Stoops and Jerry Jones Share.
I believe Stoops is willing to change it up after 3-4 years of lackluster results. Jerry Jones is so far gone, it's comparable to Al Davis.

Both teams have drafted/recruited poorly, and it shows.

Stoops has class and is not win at all costs, Jerry is and looks for entertainment value no matter how detrimental it is to the team. Ultimately, neither team shows heart and challenges itself to get better and improve each week. I think Stoops is a good coach, but a lot of schools have good to great coaching, and pay their coaches about 1.5 to 2 million less. I think for nearly 5 million, OU could land a really good coach, but that is for another discussion.

It's irrelevant, who the next Cowboys coach is because they are a puppet. At least if Stoops holds assistants accountable and they develop/recruit well they will have a team that could compete nationally every 2-3 years.

Cowboys are ultimate mediocrity 4-5 years straight, and will become worse as their core ages. I doubt Jerry has the smarts to even find another coach that will instill a culture of accountability.

Enough of the comparisons, Jerry is a lost cause, and Stoops is the second coming of a once great coach, touting 9-10 win seasons and calling it great. Just a tier above Gary Gibbs, I don't think the expectations lower because the SEC is unbeatable in the big bowl games. Dallas and Oklahoma both loose "big games" consistently but salvage a nice win from time to time.

HToady
11/19/2013, 10:24 AM
You OP and subsequent comments keep comparing Stoops to Jerry Jones. Not an accurate comparison.

To accurately compare you would have to have David Boren medling and calling the shots in all things football.

Believe me, OU is WAY better off than the Dallas Cowboys. Things in Dallas will never change as long as the owner continues to think he has skills, he doesn't have.

Breadburner
11/19/2013, 01:16 PM
****ing Dallas is a .500 team that hasn't done **** in nearly 20 ****ing years....This is a stupid ****ing thread that belongs on LandThieves......

CatfishSooner
11/19/2013, 10:24 PM

pappy
11/20/2013, 12:58 AM
I was half asleep when I wrote this originally, but the "We are proud to share the Big 12 Championship" is at 0:24 of this video and you can hear it plain as day...But you're right it's not Stoops saying it...Its Gabe Ikard. Still sad that anyone associated with this program would say they are *PROUD* to *SHARE* a championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stQ615ehT2s