PDA

View Full Version : Briles Locked Up

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2013, 04:50 PM
Sorry, Texas. It's as yet unconfirmed, but multiple sources are leaking that Briles signed a new contract today. We'll likely never know for sure what the deal is since we don't release that information, but the rumor is 10-years @ 4.5million before incentives.

The BOR extended President Starr's contract yesterday and also made him Chancellor....Briles was up next today.

Mjcpr
11/12/2013, 04:52 PM
Right, because those hold coaches in place like iron shackles. Not saying Texas would have ever hired him but if they don't it won't be because of that contract.

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2013, 04:54 PM
Right, because those hold coaches in place like iron shackles. Not saying Texas would have ever hired him but if they don't it won't be because of that contract.
They'll have to pay out the *** to buy him out. Texas can probably do it, but my guess is it'll be one of the most expensive buyouts in college football.

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2013, 04:55 PM
I thought you were going to say Briles was hit with a DUI or something.

:cocksure:

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2013, 04:56 PM
I thought you were going to say Briles was hit with a DUI or something.

:cocksure:
I think you'd have mass suicide in Waco if that happened...something on par with the end of the Third Reich.

(terrible comparison I know)

badger
11/12/2013, 04:58 PM
After Mack Brown got big Texas-sized money, his teeth turned more yellow, his belly got bigger, he clapped more often and he just looked clueless and worn out.

Not saying that you have just guaranteed yourself a yellow tooth fat clueless clapper, but... no, that's exactly what you just did.

The good news is that if he becomes too repulsive, you can always throw a tarp over him :P

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2013, 04:59 PM
I think you'd have mass suicide in Waco if that happened...something on par with the end of the Third Reich.

I should admit I don't know why they lock people up down there. Maybe for not carrying a gun? Dirty dancing on campus?

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2013, 05:02 PM
After Mack Brown got big Texas-sized money, his teeth turned more yellow, his belly got bigger, he clapped more often and he just looked clueless and worn out.

Not saying that you have just guaranteed yourself a yellow tooth fat clueless clapper, but... no, that's exactly what you just did.

The good news is that if he becomes too repulsive, you can always throw a tarp over him :P

Yeah, a new contract for Briles before playing the OSU and UT games is thumbing your nose at the football gods. Worse than Sic'em buying a new hat.

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2013, 05:03 PM
Yeah, a new contract for Briles before playing the OSU and UT games is thumbing your nose at the football gods. Worse than Sic'em buying a new hat.
The hat deal turned out alright.

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2013, 05:04 PM
The hat deal turned out alright.

Keep taunting - it adds up. :P

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2013, 05:09 PM

Hey, Bob isn't exactly fit and trim these days. ;)

badger
11/12/2013, 05:11 PM
Baylor: We've never had 8 wins before in a season

Reality: Yes you have

Baylor: And every program in the country is going to hire him away

Reality: They haven't yet and he's in his mid-50s

Baylor: We are going to give him Bob Stoops money

Reality: For beating him twice in 6 seasons

Baylor: So that he can be our coach forever!

Reality: Unless we have to tarp the endzones again due to continuous losing

Texas Tech: Psst. I know how you can dump a coach right before big bonus money is due...

badger
11/12/2013, 05:14 PM

We are going to kick your arse soooo badly in basketball. Which basketball? BOTH basketball. ALL OF THE basketball.

stoopified
11/12/2013, 05:18 PM

Texas Tech: Psst. I know how you can dump a coach right before big bonus money is due... :)

stoops the eternal pimp
11/12/2013, 05:21 PM
Oh Lord...Basketball smack..are we really resorting to that? :)

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2013, 05:22 PM

Texas Tech: Psst. I know how you can dump a coach right before big bonus money is due...

Clearly CAB is a mediocre coach, at best. I mean he only had 4 wins in his first two seasons at BAYLOR. That is unacceptable considering the great shape our program was in under Kevin Steele and GuyMo. We're paying him way way way the hell too much money. Nothing to see here folks...look for a coach elsewhere. Lane Kiffin is available and he coached at one of the premier programs in the nation!

NorthernIowaSooner
11/12/2013, 06:34 PM

Or the Branch Davidians...

badger
11/12/2013, 08:29 PM
Oh Lord...Basketball smack..are we really resorting to that? :)

Step, you're the master scouting dude. Do we have any football smack left this season?

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2013, 08:41 PM
Or the Branch Davidians...

Wrong comparison really. I wouldn't go with a cult. We aren't cult like -- that honor belongs to that glorified vocational clown college an hour and a half to our SE.

tycat947
11/12/2013, 08:47 PM
Wrong comparison really. I wouldn't go with a cult. We aren't cult like -- that honor belongs to that glorified vocational clown college an hour and a half to our SE.

THAT honor belongs to both!!! Glorified vocational clown college AND HYPOCRITE U!!!

ashley
11/12/2013, 08:51 PM
Briles will be 58 this year.

PLaw
11/12/2013, 09:17 PM
I really don't think Art would go to Austin if they came calling. As an Okie raised in the Permian basin and on the south plains and a tech alum, here is why:

Anybody that's ever gone to tech understands two things: will Rogers' horses *** is pointed straight at college station and nothing good comes out of Austin. Tech was long the red headed step child of the two land grant schools and the money they received from the university consolidated leases in the PB oil patch.

Briles would not want the muckity muck BS he would have had on the South 40. He is West Texas all the way and tech really screwed up not going after Art when they ditched leach.

Tech's loss is Sic Em's win.

Bummer

nighttrain12
11/13/2013, 10:20 PM
A 10 year contract extension when he already had multiple years left on the current one? How'd that work out with FatBoy Weis in Notre Dame!?!

Eielson
11/13/2013, 10:40 PM

He's not producing at the same level for us anymore, either...

SicEmBaylor
11/13/2013, 10:46 PM
A 10 year contract extension when he already had multiple years left on the current one? How'd that work out with FatBoy Weis in Notre Dame!?!
lolz @ comparing Briles to Weis. Briles has never failed in his life...Weis has never succeeded at jack ****.

An unprecedented 2013 football season for Baylor's football program has transcended into an unprecedented contract extension for head coach Art Briles.

Off to the first 8-0 start in school history and holding the No. 5 spot in the current BCS rankings, Baylor's Board of Regents on Wednesday approved a 10-year extension for Briles. SicEmSports has leanred Briles will see his base salary fall somewhere in the $4.5 million per year range. The entire Baylor coaching staff will also see salary increases including offensive coordinator Phillip Montgomery and defensive coordinator Phil Bennett.

There is no head coach in waiting title associated with any of the assistant coaches.

"Ready to represent Baylor this weekend and many years ahead,'' Briles told SicEmSports.

The 57-year-old Briles - 41-30 in his sixth season at Baylor and 75-58 in his 11-year career - has already taken Baylor to a school record three consecutive bowl games. The program is headed to a fourth, tied for the lead in the Big 12 with a 5-0 record and aspiring to play in its first BCS game. Baylor is hoping certain breaks will occur that will put it in the national championship game.

When Briles arrived on Nov. 28, 2007, he talked about returning Baylor football to the campus.

That goal was realized as the new $260 million Baylor Stadium will open in 2014. Baylor will christen the stadium on Aug. 31 against SMU.

"He's accomplished a vision to first become a respectable program, then take the program to bowl games and then compete for the Big 12 championship,'' Baylor Athletic Director Ian McCaw said. "When you're competing for the Big 12, you're in the national conversation as well.''

The handsome extension should also put to rest any anxiety about Briles' future beyond 2013. His name had been circulated for a potential opening at Texas and the current vacancy at USC. SicEmSports learned the talks with Briles opened about three weeks ago.

In his sixth season at Baylor, Briles has also guided the program to a No. 4 ranking in the the AP and USA Today coaches polls. The Bears play Texas Tech at 6:00 p.m. Saturday at AT&T Stadium in Arlington.
With four games to play, Baylor's offense has reached school and Big 12 record numbers. Baylor currently leads all of college football in total offensive yards per game at 686.0 and points per game at 61.0.

In Briles' tenure, the Baylor program has witnessed the additions of the Allison Indoor Practice facility, the Simpson Center designed for the coaches offices and student-athlete resources. A new dining hall is also in the works.

There is now stability for a program that has carved its niche in recruiting both regionally and nationally. In 2012 and 2013, Rivals ranked Baylor's classes 45th and 31st respectively. The 2014 signing class is on pace to be the best in school history. Securing the No. 27 player in the country in Mount Pleasant wide receiver KD Cannon and No. 131 player in Texarkana Liberty-Eylau athlete Davion Hall, Baylor is currently ranked No. 22

http://baylor.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1574794

BoulderSooner79
11/14/2013, 12:12 AM
He's not producing at the same level for us anymore, either...

We should have a #wins/lb ratio as part of Bob's bonus incentive plan.

Position Limit
11/14/2013, 10:27 AM
is there anyway ou could hire him? is this contract ironclad?

Sabanball
11/14/2013, 11:32 AM
Shocked by this a little. I thought for sure he'd look for a job elsewhere. Nothing against Baylor, but I don't know how high of a ceiling that program has? Anyway, looks like the RGIII Heisman has paid a lot of dividends for the school--their plans for a new stadium are really neat and they are flush with cash. I just wonder what kind of buyout provision he has now....

Either way I hope he continues to give Texas hell.

badger
11/14/2013, 11:38 AM
the RGIII Heisman has paid a lot of dividends for the school

Both Texas A&M and Baylor got stadium plans outta their Heismans.

Did Alabama do anything with Ingram's, or were you too busy staring at your three ****ing crystal balls :mad:

JohnS
11/14/2013, 12:02 PM
Shocked by this a little. I thought for sure he'd look for a job elsewhere. Nothing against Baylor, but I don't know how high of a ceiling that program has? Anyway, looks like the RGIII Heisman has paid a lot of dividends for the school--their plans for a new stadium are really neat and they are flush with cash. I just wonder what kind of buyout provision he has now....

I got lot of that on tidefans when I explained why Briles had no reason to go anywhere. Unless you have followed the guy's career it is understandable with the big headed coaches now a days.

Buyout is rumored to be 10-20 million or higher. The buyout is also larger for in state schools.

JohnS
11/14/2013, 12:04 PM
Most amusing part of the entire contract yesterday is as he was answering questions he referred to Baylor as being in its infant stage right now and looked forward to the many more years of seeing it grow.

tooslow
11/14/2013, 12:14 PM
lolz @ comparing Briles to Weis. Briles has never failed in his life...

What do you consider failing? He hasn't won the Big XII since he's been a head coach, although he has an excellent shot at it this year. He could also be one of the few coaches to lead a BCS member team to an undefeated season and NOT play in the Championship game. I know many say that Bob has a failing season if he doesn't win a BCS game. Think about that. He's won so many Big XII Titles it's considered a monumental collapse when his team isn't competing for one, like this year. It sounds like Bob's failures would be considered a success under Briles, so I guess I can understand your thought process.

Position Limit
11/14/2013, 12:57 PM
What do you consider failing? He hasn't won the Big XII since he's been a head coach, although he has an excellent shot at it this year. He could also be one of the few coaches to lead a BCS member team to an undefeated season and NOT play in the Championship game. I know many say that Bob has a failing season if he doesn't win a BCS game. Think about that. He's won so many Big XII Titles it's considered a monumental collapse when his team isn't competing for one, like this year. It sounds like Bob's failures would be considered a success under Briles, so I guess I can understand your thought process.

what does any of this have to do with the price of tea in china? he was writing about weiss and briles comparisons. you went on tangent about bob stoops and past big12 glory. great, the sooners have been the leaders of the **** confrence for a little more than half the time stoops has been here. you talk as if a failing season is a bcs loss. well i got news for you pal, rare is the day that a stoops coached team wins a bcs game. briles is hot **** right now. hes had great success in the few years he's been at baylor and the future looks a hella brighter there than most big 12 programs right now. but yes lets all poo poo on art briles contract extension due to success. hey how about you take a long hard look in the mirror ask yourself how you feel about bob stoops $5 million a year contract. and extension after extension. you seems new to this thing called life.....

tooslow
11/14/2013, 01:38 PM

what does any of this have to do with the price of tea in china? he was writing about weiss and briles comparisons. you went on tangent about bob stoops and past big12 glory. great, the sooners have been the leaders of the **** confrence for a little more than half the time stoops has been here. you talk as if a failing season is a bcs loss. well i got news for you pal, rare is the day that a stoops coached team wins a bcs game. briles is hot **** right now. hes had great success in the few years he's been at baylor and the future looks a hella brighter there than most big 12 programs right now. but yes lets all poo poo on art briles contract extension due to success. hey how about you take a long hard look in the mirror ask yourself how you feel about bob stoops $5 million a year contract. and extension after extension. you seems new to this thing called life.....

You need to be medicated!! lol

I was referencing how Briles has never failed in his life. Obviously he's pleased you... many, many, times. lol

picasso
11/14/2013, 02:56 PM
Baylor has a big boner for football right now. Like the Pokes in 2011, they are finding out what being the current ringer in said sport is all about and how it trumps any other frickin' college sport out there.
And like oSu, they suddenly feel like they ate all knowing in this new field they've discovered and can thumb their nose at the likes of OU.
I mean, the hell does the University of Oklahoma know about the workings and being a success in the game of football????

badger
11/14/2013, 03:04 PM
So in two years, can we expect a tell-all SI investigation into Baylor football, complete with disgruntled ex-player interviews :D

tooslow
11/14/2013, 03:09 PM
Baylor has a big boner for football right now. Like the Pokes in 2011, they are finding out what being the current ringer in said sport is all about and how it trumps any other frickin' college sport out there.
And like oSu, they suddenly feel like they ate all knowing in this new field they've discovered and can thumb their nose at the likes of OU.
I mean, the hell does the University of Oklahoma know about the workings and being a success in the game of football????

Well said. I also agree with what Sic'em has said, about their fans not knowing how to act because this is all new to them. One awesome season (and even if Baylor loses the rest of their games, it'll still be a great season for them) and they know everything. I couldn't tell anyone how Stoops, Briles, or any other coach is gonna do in the future. When we've had success, I've never felt the need or urge to start telling other fan bases why their coach and/or program isn't good. Even if I were dead on accurate, what would it change? Not a damn thing.

Jacie
11/14/2013, 08:06 PM
As per The Sports Exchange:

Baylor coach Art Briles signed a contract extension that runs through the 2023 season, he confirmed Wednesday.

So for those wondering why he didn't jump ship to USC or elsewhere, it might be his age keeping him in a place that actually wants him as opposed to going to a different part of the country (seriously, can you see him adjusting to L.A. after living as long as he has in the state of Texas?) where he would be expected to revive a program that has sky-high expectations and a low tolerance for failure (unlike a program with so little winning tradition every W he delivers there breaks his own record).

Briles, 57, last year signed a contract through the 2020 season that reportedly averaged nearly $3.5 million.

So really, all he did was add three years to a contract that will likely last longer than Art will want to coach anyway. The real change and what we won't hear about, is probably a tweak to the annual salary.

Briles, in his sixth season with the Bears since he arrived from the University of Houston . . .

Imagine if he had gone to sa*et, three jobs all in Texas.

The rebuilding effort at Baylor was considerable.

And as the BU fans are ultimately going to find out much to their dismay, staying at the top is even harder than getting there.

McCaw said Briles is to credit for turning Baylor into a "destination job" that other head coaches would covet.

Tell me they don't really think that in Waco, do they?

Herr Scholz
11/15/2013, 03:17 PM
Anybody that's ever gone to tech understands two things: will Rogers' horses *** is pointed straight at college station and nothing good comes out of Austin.
Spike Dykes coached on the 40 under DKR for 5 years. Just sayin.

Herr Scholz
11/15/2013, 03:19 PM
You're just mad that our alums are forcing Bama to give Saban a big fat raise of a few million this offseason.

badger
11/15/2013, 03:33 PM
McCaw said Briles is to credit for turning Baylor into a "destination job" that other head coaches would covet.

They think a lot of things in Waco. Everyone stop drinking Dr. Pepper immediately for your own good.

You're just mad that our alums are forcing Bama to give Saban a big fat raise of a few million this offseason.

How much higher can he go?! he's already the highest paid, right? or did you give mack a raise again silly whorns

Herr Scholz
11/15/2013, 03:55 PM
How much higher can he go?! he's already the highest paid, right? or did you give mack a raise again silly whorns
UT insiders are saying we're going to offer $8.4M for Saban to come to Austin. Either way, this guy is about to get a HUGE raise whether he stays or goes. Personally, I think Operation Bilk Tuscaloosa is in full effect by his agent Sexton.

badger
11/15/2013, 03:58 PM
UT insiders are saying we're going to offer $8.4M for Saban to come to Austin. Either way, this guy is about to get a HUGE raise whether he stays or goes. Personally, I think Operation Bilk Tuscaloosa is in full effect by his agent Sexton.

Oh man the SEC is so gullible. Houston Nutt's agent milked Arkansas/Ole Miss last decade in playing up rumors from Nebrasky and everywhere else. And then, losing caught up to him :P

Can you make some other programs the rest of the country hates dole out the dough while you're at it?

Herr Scholz
11/15/2013, 04:06 PM
Can you make some other programs the rest of the country hates dole out the dough while you're at it?

I'd like to take a run at Sumlin at A&M personally for that very reason. Don't want him as coach, just want the aggies to pay $6M per for him.

SicEmBaylor
11/15/2013, 04:06 PM
As per The Sports Exchange:

Baylor coach Art Briles signed a contract extension that runs through the 2023 season, he confirmed Wednesday.

So for those wondering why he didn't jump ship to USC or elsewhere, it might be his age keeping him in a place that actually wants him as opposed to going to a different part of the country (seriously, can you see him adjusting to L.A. after living as long as he has in the state of Texas?) where he would be expected to revive a program that has sky-high expectations and a low tolerance for failure (unlike a program with so little winning tradition every W he delivers there breaks his own record).

Briles, 57, last year signed a contract through the 2020 season that reportedly averaged nearly $3.5 million.

So really, all he did was add three years to a contract that will likely last longer than Art will want to coach anyway. The real change and what we won't hear about, is probably a tweak to the annual salary.

Briles, in his sixth season with the Bears since he arrived from the University of Houston . . .

Imagine if he had gone to sa*et, three jobs all in Texas.

The rebuilding effort at Baylor was considerable.

And as the BU fans are ultimately going to find out much to their dismay, staying at the top is even harder than getting there.

Anyone who thinks he would even consider a job like USC doesn't understand Briles. However, at one time or another he absolutely would have accepted the UT and Tech jobs....maybe even possibly the Aggie job. The only job he'll ever have is in Texas. The only place he will ever live is in Texas.

I could even see him possibly taking an NFL job with Dallas or Houston (more likely Houston). But USC? Jesus-h-Christ..no.

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2013, 04:08 PM

Supply and demand. The supply is known: 1 Saban unit. The demand will be revealed soon enough - $8.4M worth?

SicEmBaylor
11/15/2013, 04:13 PM

Holy crap on a stick, you're an idiot. What do I mean by winning? I mean that from the very first coaching job he ever took at the lowest athletic division in TX, he turned the place into a winner. He did it again at Stephenville which hadn't been to the playoffs since 1952 and led them to 4 Texas State 4A Championships. He then did a stint as RB coach at Tech where he became the de-facto QB Coach. He followed that up with a job at Houston which had a 0-11 record the year before he was hired and ended up taking them to 3 bowls in 4 years. He followed that up at Baylor which was, without a doubt, one of the bottom 10 Division-I programs in the nation eventually getting us bowl eligible for the first time in the Big XII era, coaching a Heisman QB, winning the Holiday Bowl in spectacular fashion against UCLA, beating Washington in the Alamo bowl, and he now has us contending for a conference championship and, if the cards fall our way, possibly a national championship if we win out.

So, yeah, the man's a ****ing winner.

SicEmBaylor
11/15/2013, 04:15 PM
I'd like to take a run at Sumlin at A&M personally for that very reason. Don't want him as coach, just want the aggies to pay $6M per for him.

The meltdown from those jizzheads if Sumlin left for UT would be sooooo freaking awesome.

SicEmBaylor
11/15/2013, 04:31 PM
A big problem with you people is the fact that you measure everyone's success against your own program's history. This is a terrible metric to compare anyone to, and it's somewhat inconsistent with your "There is only one..." campaign.

Baylor is never going to be OU. Nobody is OU but OU. Having said that, it's pretty dense and small thinking to assume that there is no such thing as emergent football powers. Of course there are. Winning programs have to start somewhere, correct? We'll never be Oklahoma, but we absolutely can be an emergent Oregon-type program.

I don't know if we'll be able to continue the success after Briles or not, but everyone acts as if it's a foregone conclusion that it's impossible for us to get another good coach. How bizarre.

We have first-class facilities across the board and a brand new 270 million dollar stadium coming online along with the ability to pay a head coach in the top-5/top-10 in the nation if he produces. That is sure to attact at least someone of some ability.

I swear I've never seen such dense boneheaded comments as some of you post. Some of you are the same people who have been 100% wrong about what would happen down in Waco since the day Briles was announced as the replacement of GuyMo.

Scott D
11/15/2013, 07:12 PM
I'm disappointed to see this isn't a thread about a traffic stop and a dead body found in a trunk.

SicEmBaylor
11/15/2013, 07:19 PM
I'm disappointed to see this isn't a thread about a traffic stop and a dead body found in a trunk.

This is Art Briles not Craig James.

Scott D
11/15/2013, 09:25 PM
This is Art Briles not Craig James.

when you're Craig James you don't need a trunk for your dead hookers.

okiewaker
11/15/2013, 10:01 PM
No offense but Baylor is just above a craptastic job to have. Briles better jump if he gets a chance to leave. Next year, after all those seniors have left,,,,baylor will be craptastic again.

SicEmBaylor
11/15/2013, 10:07 PM
No offense but Baylor is just above a craptastic job to have. Briles better jump if he gets a chance to leave. Next year, after all those seniors have left,,,,baylor will be craptastic again.

There's evidently no fixing stupid.

If getting paid $4.5 million dollars a year to coach at a school with state of the art training facilities and a brand new $260 million dollar riverfront stadium is just barely one step up from "craptastic" then that's a job I'd just have to live with the shame of taking if I had the opportunity.

And holy ****!? We have seniors graduating!? I hope his 30 years as a coach have prepared him for this impending doom!

achiro
11/15/2013, 11:06 PM
Watch out, the redskins are putting a package together for him. More money, no recruiting, and he gets to be with his homie RG3

sooneron
11/15/2013, 11:25 PM
How does Starr make time to be Pres./Chancellor when he's busy speaking on behalf of his child molester friends? I'm confused. You guys have confused yourselves with catholics, it appears... :D

SicEmBaylor
11/16/2013, 03:04 AM
How does Starr make time to be Pres./Chancellor when he's busy speaking on behalf of his child molester friends? I'm confused. You guys have confused yourselves with catholics, it appears... :D

That was unfortunate.

bluedogok
11/16/2013, 09:05 AM
when you're Craig James you don't need a trunk for your dead hookers.
That's what the Trinity River is for.....

okiewaker
11/16/2013, 09:52 AM
There's evidently no fixing stupid.

Heh, evidently you're a bit testy,,with a quick trigger finger to boot. Regardless,,,Baylor is still a crap football job and Briles should runaway quickly when he gets the chance. IMHO

diverdog
11/16/2013, 11:45 AM
A big problem with you people is the fact that you measure everyone's success against your own program's history. This is a terrible metric to compare anyone to, and it's somewhat inconsistent with your "There is only one..." campaign.

Baylor is never going to be OU. Nobody is OU but OU. Having said that, it's pretty dense and small thinking to assume that there is no such thing as emergent football powers. Of course there are. Winning programs have to start somewhere, correct? We'll never be Oklahoma, but we absolutely can be an emergent Oregon-type program.

I don't know if we'll be able to continue the success after Briles or not, but everyone acts as if it's a foregone conclusion that it's impossible for us to get another good coach. How bizarre.

We have first-class facilities across the board and a brand new 270 million dollar stadium coming online along with the ability to pay a head coach in the top-5/top-10 in the nation if he produces. That is sure to attact at least someone of some ability.

I swear I've never seen such dense boneheaded comments as some of you post. Some of you are the same people who have been 100% wrong about what would happen down in Waco since the day Briles was announced as the replacement of GuyMo.

You guys got Nike money too?

bluedogok
11/16/2013, 10:32 PM
You guys got Nike money too?
Drayton McLane needs to spend his money from the Astros sale...

Eielson
11/16/2013, 11:36 PM
Drayton McLane needs to spend his money from the Astros sale...

Somebody sold the Astros? What did they get? $20?

CatfishSooner
11/17/2013, 12:39 AM
baylor will become irrelevant again soon...

OUmillenium
11/17/2013, 01:52 AM
Good for Briles. He has earned it. Might have developed another Heisman winner. I hope they only lose 1 conference game a year every year for the Briles tenure.

bluedogok
11/17/2013, 10:02 AM
Somebody sold the Astros? What did they get? $20?
Drayton McLane sold them to Jim Crane in 2011 for $610 million.

MLB.com - Astros sale to Crane, move to AL approved (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111117&content_id=25992120)

tooslow
11/23/2013, 11:35 PM
Holy crap on a stick, you're an idiot. What do I mean by winning? I mean that from the very first coaching job he ever took at the lowest athletic division in TX, he turned the place into a winner. He did it again at Stephenville which hadn't been to the playoffs since 1952 and led them to 4 Texas State 4A Championships. He then did a stint as RB coach at Tech where he became the de-facto QB Coach. He followed that up with a job at Houston which had a 0-11 record the year before he was hired and ended up taking them to 3 bowls in 4 years. He followed that up at Baylor which was, without a doubt, one of the bottom 10 Division-I programs in the nation eventually getting us bowl eligible for the first time in the Big XII era, coaching a Heisman QB, winning the Holiday Bowl in spectacular fashion against UCLA, beating Washington in the Alamo bowl, and he now has us contending for a conference championship and, if the cards fall our way, possibly a national championship if we win out.

So, yeah, the man's a ****ing winner.

Yep, all he does is keep winning..... :o