PDA

View Full Version : John Gruden as a replacement for Bob?

stoopified
11/12/2013, 10:20 AM
Heard this laughable (IMHO) suggestion tossed out the other day. The only thing I can think of is that the persson who made this suggestion was blinded by the brilliance of the diamond in Gruden's Super Bowl ring,rather than dazzled by the man's non-brilliance.In his first year with Tampa he wins a sUPER bOWL witha team he inherited,after that his teams ranged from awful to mediocre.I think there is a reason the man has not coached in 5 years.Even Jerry Jones hasn't been desperate enough to hire this gu

While I am not happy with where we are as team right mow,I refuse to join the FIRE BOB crowd until it is warrnted . Even at that point I want a coach who has the credentials to at least give hope that he can improve our situation. Frankly I can't think think of anyone who would take the OU job ,who could do better. Bottom line,if you can't upgrade,give your coach the time to right the ship.

flysooner9
11/12/2013, 10:57 AM
If we ended up with a new coach I'd want someone young that will bring the fire back to this program.

badger
11/12/2013, 11:02 AM
Barry Switzer is still around, isn't he? Can he still coach :P

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2013, 11:25 AM
Barry Switzer is still around, isn't he? Can he still coach :P

He seems to be pretty good at making comments from the peanut gallery - just like us.

Regarding Gruden. I said before I thought he'd be a great choice for the horns. And for all the same reasons, he'd be a terrible choice for OU :D

badger
11/12/2013, 11:31 AM
The ghosts of Bud Wilkenson and Bear Bryant and co-coach. How soon till Bammer fans demand that we return their ghost so he can lean against their goalpost again :P

birddog
11/12/2013, 12:02 PM
Gruden sure talks a great game. He's charismatic and has been labeled nationally as someone who can identify players strengths and weaknesses. Recruiting is a little different than coaching overpaid aholes and on the surface it appears gruden would be great at putting s staff together and getting recruits to buy into his overall football resume. Just don't think he's a good fit here.

Temujin
11/12/2013, 12:16 PM
I don't know...I'd be okay with Gruden, personally. Yeah, he's probably a little overrated as a coach, but he sure coaxed quite a bit out of those Raiders and Bucs.

The Raiders were an OLD team made up of mostly journeymen-types that never stuck on one team...until they get to the Raiders and suddenly they're SB contenders. And yeah, the Bucs had been already put together for him, but hell, the guy won a SB with Keyshawn Johnson and Warren Sapp. I mean, if he can find a way to get those egos to not only gel, but also produce...motivating college kids would be a friggin' breeze in comparison.

Not that I'm advocating Bob leaving, but if it were to happen, I wouldn't hate a Gruden hire (assuming it was a possibility).

EatLeadCommie
11/12/2013, 12:28 PM
Who the hell has talked about Gruden replacing Bob?

But coaching in the pros is nothing like coaching in college. If it was, Pete Carroll wouldn't have done squat at USC.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/12/2013, 12:29 PM
Gruden has been the rumor for every job that has opened including cart pusher at your local wal mart..

meh.

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2013, 12:32 PM
Gruden has found his place in life making manly statements during games and incorrectly predicting the next play. And no one is demanding he be fired for it.

birddog
11/12/2013, 01:55 PM
Just win, baby!!

8timechamps
11/12/2013, 02:08 PM
I never understood the Gruden rumors for Texas. I never thought he was that great, and he's been away from the game for a long time, he's not going back to coaching.

I think it's funny after a loss how some Sooner fans immediately throw themselves off the ledge.

Widescreen
11/12/2013, 02:19 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/9365cfe6de0419afa5df89e019c73b5e/tumblr_mrdy178jeZ1rlfsw2o1_250.gif

ouduckhunter
11/12/2013, 02:24 PM
Pass! I would place him a few notches above Lane Kiffin on my list of dream coaches.

cherokeebrewer
11/12/2013, 02:59 PM
I can't believe replacing Bob Stoops is even being considered...bet he's not insecure about it.

stoopified
11/12/2013, 03:06 PM
Who the hell has talked about Gruden replacing Bob?.Don't know who it was but overheard the conversation. Did not know the people but thought the subject matter worthy of a thread.

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2013, 03:20 PM
I assume this is just off season chatter (since in some ways, we are off season) combined with the disappointment of being out of the conference race so early. But there is also the reality that Bob won't be here forever and his retirement may be a small number of seasons away. Not many coaches go this long and I don't see Bob being a Bobby Bowden type.

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2013, 04:03 PM
Heard this laughable (IMHO) suggestion tossed out the other day. The only thing I can think of is that the persson who made this suggestion was blinded by the brilliance of the diamond in Gruden's Super Bowl ring,rather than dazzled by the man's non-brilliance.In his first year with Tampa he wins a sUPER bOWL witha team he inherited,after that his teams ranged from awful to mediocre.I think there is a reason the man has not coached in 5 years.Even Jerry Jones hasn't been desperate enough to hire this gu

While I am not happy with where we are as team right mow,I refuse to join the FIRE BOB crowd until it is warrnted . Even at that point I want a coach who has the credentials to at least give hope that he can improve our situation. Frankly I can't think think of anyone who would take the OU job ,who could do better. Bottom line,if you can't upgrade,give your coach the time to right the ship.
There have been some truly great college football coaches who were not successful on the NFL level. It's somewhat like apples v. oranges. Saban wasn't exactly a world-beater when he was in the NFL either.

OU_Sooners75
11/12/2013, 05:12 PM
Jeff Tedford for OC he isn't doing much these days

cleller
11/13/2013, 08:50 AM
How about promising Malzahn an F-16 to commute to Springdale if he'd demote himself to our OC?