PDA

View Full Version : starting qb - Bell

Soonerjeepman
11/11/2013, 05:23 PM
Despite Bell's struggles, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops reiterated Monday that he'll remain the starter.

OkieThunderLion
11/11/2013, 05:37 PM
Bring the best out of him.

Scott D
11/11/2013, 05:43 PM
I'd rather he iterate that he's come to the conclusion that Co-Offensive Coordinators is a terribad idea.

picasso
11/11/2013, 05:49 PM
Perhaps he's all we have.

8timechamps
11/11/2013, 05:53 PM
Perhaps he's all we have.

I'm inclined to believe this (at least he's all we have right now).

I think Bell has ability, and I'm one of a few that believe the offense isn't that far off, he just has to be consistent.

I do think we'll continue to see Knight the rest of the way.

birddog
11/11/2013, 07:59 PM
I hope we DO see knight. But damn give him a chance to chuck it around. Let him have a few series to see if he can get into a rhythm. Bringing him in for a play or 3 and allowing lbs to key in on his keepers is just a waste of time.

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2013, 08:16 PM
I hope we DO see knight. But damn give him a chance to chuck it around. Let him have a few series to see if he can get into a rhythm. Bringing him in for a play or 3 and allowing lbs to key in on his keepers is just a waste of time.

What do you call a half of a dual threat? ;)

8timechamps
11/11/2013, 08:23 PM
What do you call a half of a dual threat? ;)

A threat? No, that's not right...

ashley
11/11/2013, 08:26 PM
I like Knight. But, the coaches go to practice everyday.

birddog
11/11/2013, 08:33 PM
Yeah they named him the starter at the beginning, if u recall.

Sooners78
11/11/2013, 08:36 PM
Bell looks terrible right now, but aj mccarron would look just as bad with this line. Likewise, bell could win a national championship at bama. It's all about the hogs up front.

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2013, 08:51 PM
Bell looks terrible right now, but aj mccarron would look just as bad with this line. Likewise, bell could win a national championship at bama. It's all about the hogs up front.

McCarron (or Murray, or Mettenburg, or other pocket QB) would not look this bad. Not great either.
Bell would not win a championship at Bama. Saban would have probably pulled his scholly by now just to save him from the fan lynch mob after aTm outscored them.
Yes, the OL talent is a huge factor. But Bell has often had enough time to be effective and failed.

Soonerjeepman
11/11/2013, 08:57 PM
speaking of the line...it was either Shead or Thompson, 7? something, one time when we either had to call a TO or something down on the 15 yrd line cause we couldn't get play in...but he was "walking" back to huddle/sideline and dang, he looked really beat down...could hardly move. Also noticed in a "huddle" that bell is as big (tall) than all of the lineman but one.

God bless them because they are Sooners in the trenches but they didn't look "athletic" compared to bu's dline.

OkieThunderLion
11/11/2013, 09:06 PM
11 TDs/6 INTs

If he gets to Hybl (14/13)/Bomar (10/10) level, I'll be calling for a replacement.

RADsooner
11/11/2013, 09:57 PM
Bell can't consistently put the ball where it needs to be- when he does he looks great, when he can't he looks.......ummm bad.

EatLeadCommie
11/11/2013, 10:08 PM
Bell has not been good. There is no beating around the bush on that one anymore. I was happy when he replaced TK, but it seems apparent that he isn't getting it done.

That having been said, our WR corps is really bad. Our best guys are too small to get off blocks or to block downfield. When our token big physical receiver is Skillet Hands Reynolds, you know you're in bad shape. Doesn't help that the guy who should've had that role this year was more into public displays of pud pulling than football catching.

The OL has been ok for pass protection, IMO. It's just that now teams are more inclined to put pressure on the kid, knowing that he's reluctant to take off downfield, and BB is pretty bad at reading the blitz (or most coverage for that matter).

cleller
11/11/2013, 10:12 PM
Lots more than just Bell holding back the offense. Very few bright spots or great athletes outside the RBs. Saunders (a transfer) has been good, but our receivers aren't even delivering as they have in the past. No TE, poor O-line blocking/protection.

We've all seen good teams with only fair QBs still get out there and play tough.

Think Switzer could still recruit a better team right now if given the chance?

Sooners78
11/12/2013, 09:45 AM
McCarron (or Murray, or Mettenburg, or other pocket QB) would not look this bad. Not great either.
Bell would not win a championship at Bama. Saban would have probably pulled his scholly by now just to save him from the fan lynch mob after aTm outscored them.
Yes, the OL talent is a huge factor. But Bell has often had enough time to be effective and failed.

No!! With this offense, all of those QBs would look bad. Too much is made of the QB. Our overall talent level has been in decline for the past few years. We MUST recruit dominant lines on both sides of the ball. That is the #1 reason the SEC and more specifically, Alabama is dominating college football.

And, in that offense, once the run games gets going and starts wearing out the defense and consistently opens lanes, Bell has the talent that he would put up heisman type performances. We've seen what he can do when he goes up against inferior talent.

I guess my main point is that no matter who we plug in at qb, our offensive problems are not going away until we get a dominant OL. Speaking of that, Lawton High has 3 junior O linemen who could probably come in right now and do almost as well as OUr linemen. Stoops better be talking to them. He could get all three. All 3 are over 300 lbs, and they can move. Mike Warren is putting up ridiculous numbers running behind them.

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2013, 11:21 AM
No!! With this offense, all of those QBs would look bad. Too much is made of the QB. Our overall talent level has been in decline for the past few years. We MUST recruit dominant lines on both sides of the ball. That is the #1 reason the SEC and more specifically, Alabama is dominating college football.

And, in that offense, once the run games gets going and starts wearing out the defense and consistently opens lanes, Bell has the talent that he would put up heisman type performances. We've seen what he can do when he goes up against inferior talent.

I guess my main point is that no matter who we plug in at qb, our offensive problems are not going away until we get a dominant OL. Speaking of that, Lawton High has 3 junior O linemen who could probably come in right now and do almost as well as OUr linemen. Stoops better be talking to them. He could get all three. All 3 are over 300 lbs, and they can move. Mike Warren is putting up ridiculous numbers running behind them.

If you read carefully, I was mostly agreeing with you - just calling you out on your hyperbole.

Jamis Winston or Manziel or Murray would still put up numbers in our offense. Extreme examples, but so are your assertions. Heck, LJ would be effective.

If you watched the Bama/LSU BCS rematch 2 years ago, you saw McCarron hit receivers on the finger tips over extremely tight LSU man coverage. He did it repeatedly until they finally broke and that's what won the game (combined with dominate D). Bell would have to make monumental strides before he could come close to that feat.

Sooners78
11/12/2013, 12:43 PM
If you read carefully, I was mostly agreeing with you - just calling you out on your hyperbole.

Jamis Winston or Manziel or Murray would still put up numbers in our offense. Extreme examples, but so are your assertions. Heck, LJ would be effective.

If you watched the Bama/LSU BCS rematch 2 years ago, you saw McCarron hit receivers on the finger tips over extremely tight LSU man coverage. He did it repeatedly until they finally broke and that's what won the game (combined with dominate D). Bell would have to make monumental strides before he could come close to that feat.

Agreed, but I still say Bell would win a MNF at Bama. Obviously, it would take some experience running their system, but I believe Saban and his staff would get him to that point.

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2013, 12:59 PM
Agreed, but I still say Bell would win a MNF at Bama. Obviously, it would take some experience running their system, but I believe Saban and his staff would get him to that point.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. If Bama could get to the title with Bell-like capabilities at QB this year (which I don't believe), FSU would win based on QB difference.

ddub0224
11/12/2013, 01:21 PM
79 > 78. Bell's innacuracy is not due to only the O-line and/or poor receivers. Take a look at Bells YAC numbers relative to his total yards. His receivers are the reason that his stats are not absolutely horrible.

Sooners78
11/12/2013, 01:33 PM
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. If Bama could get to the title with Bell-like capabilities at QB this year (which I don't believe), FSU would win based on QB difference.

We all know ball control and the run game is important. I just feel that Alabama has proven over the last few years that it's not only important, it is necessary, more so than having an elite QB. It's been decades since Bama has had an elite QB, they just get QBs who are smart and can manage the game. Here's an interesting stat: The last Alabama QB to start and win an NFL game was Jeff Rutledge in 1987 as a replacement for the injured Phil Simms.

Presently, they have no NFL QBs, but they have 7 OL and 8 DL in the NFL. For me, that stat is very telling when you consider their dominance over the last 4 years.

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2013, 01:41 PM
Not disagreeing about the run game, but McElroy was in the NFL for a while as a backup (thought he still was). McCarron will get a shot as well. Bell will not get a sniff. A typical NFL backup QB is usually extremely good at the college level - even a star sometimes. CFB has progressed to where a team must be good at everything to win it all.

8timechamps
11/12/2013, 01:47 PM
I don't think McCarron is anywhere near "elite" at his position. What he is, is a very good game manager. Right now, I think I could play QB at Bama and look pretty good given the talent on offense.

Sooners78
11/12/2013, 02:07 PM
79 > 78. Bell's innacuracy is not due to only the O-line and/or poor receivers. Take a look at Bells YAC numbers relative to his total yards. His receivers are the reason that his stats are not absolutely horrible.

Actually, his receivers are a big part of the problem. If you go back and watch the video, they're rarely open. Even though YAC is good, the catch has to come first, just like everything else in the offense comes after the OL does its job.

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2013, 03:09 PM
I don't think McCarron is anywhere near "elite" at his position. What he is, is a very good game manager. Right now, I think I could play QB at Bama and look pretty good given the talent on offense.

Then I wonder why Nick is wasting schollies and recruiting time trying to land the 4+ star QBs when all he needs is a decent walk-on? ;)

BTW, I was thrilled he lost the recruiting battle to FSU for Winston. That would have bordered on unfair and real cries of "Break up Bama!"

cyclonesooner
11/12/2013, 05:56 PM
Winston, Manziel, or Murray would NOT put up great numbers in our offense due to pitiful, embarrassing playcalling !!!!!!

East Coast Bias
11/12/2013, 06:09 PM
totally agree with 78-McCarron would be mediocre at best on other teams. The big hogs are where it's at. Look at the other top teams. FSU, Stanford, they all have the studs on the line. If you have good line play the QB can live off the short throws, rather than run for his life on every play. Even the RB's don't have to be all-world either. The trend in college seems to be away from the spread and more to the pro-style offense. Look what happened to Oregon when they met a team that could move the pile. ..

OU_Sooners75
11/12/2013, 06:10 PM
The problem isn't Bell or any of the other QBs. It's the lack of identity on offense. A lack of a good game plan. And a lack of what they want to accomplish with the offense each game.

Therefore IMO it's more the problem of the coaching than anything else.

That said, Bell isn't all we got. I cannot even imagine that knight was good enough to beat Bell out to start the season but hasn't been given a chance since coming back from injury.

I see it as a arrogance problem by the coaching staff. Which seem to be living off of what Bell did against Tulsa and ND.

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2013, 06:13 PM
Winston, Manziel, or Murray would NOT put up great numbers in our offense due to pitiful, embarrassing playcalling !!!!!!

Yes they would. Compared to Bell. It's not that much different than last year from a passing standpoint and just LJ to Saunders would shine compared to the results we see now. And that success would change the play calling. These are not independent things.

EDIT: You're also being ridiculous when you make that claim about Manziel. He can consistently escape the rush for 5+ seconds and you know that Saunders and Shepard can get open in that amount of time, probably Bester too. But he is an extremely rare talent.

OU_Sooners75
11/12/2013, 06:16 PM

Yes they would. Compared to Bell. It's not that much different than last year from a passing standpoint and just LJ to Saunders would shine compared to the results we see now. And that success would change the play calling. These are not independent things.

I disagree with the offense not being that much different than last year. Yeah it is different.

They are trying to utilize the QB run a lot more to no avail with Bell. Then they expect to run the same passing game.

Doesn't work that way!

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2013, 06:28 PM
I disagree with the offense not being that much different than last year. Yeah it is different.

They are trying to utilize the QB run a lot more to no avail with Bell. Then they expect to run the same passing game.

Doesn't work that way!

The over-all offense is different because they were trying to change philosophy with LJ's departure. But once we decide to pass, it's not that different. It's not as good because we don't have a Lane Johnson OT and we didn't replace Stills, so LJ would not do as well either. But it would be much more effective with LJ and allow very different play calling if the defense respected a longer pass on any down and if we had a prayer of converting 3rd and 5+.

I find it difficult to believe folks don't think QB skills make a huge difference. aTm is not even a good team w/o Manziel this year - their defense is a sieve. FSU was a solid team the last couple of years, but Winston has lifted them to a new level and he's only a FR. Sam had a huge impact on both our '07 and '08 teams compared to a journeyman.

Breadburner
11/12/2013, 06:28 PM
This season is just a big **** sandwhich and everyone is going to have to take a bite...Hopefully it will get sorted out in the offseason....It's unfortunate but we have not been getting better.....

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2013, 06:38 PM
This season is just a big **** sandwhich and everyone is going to have to take a bite...Hopefully it will get sorted out in the offseason....It's unfortunate but we have not been getting better.....

I'd say we haven't been getting better on offense and as a result, the team as a whole. But there are bright spots on defense and there is even a good article about that on the ESPN site today. Mike has made progress with where he wants the D to go, but it won't really be apparent until the offense gets better and at least can move the chains a flip field position most the time.

JLEW1818
11/12/2013, 07:19 PM
No chance. Bell would still suck at Bama and wouldn't even make the team for that matter.

8timechamps
11/12/2013, 07:21 PM
Then I wonder why Nick is wasting schollies and recruiting time trying to land the 4+ star QBs when all he needs is a decent walk-on? ;)

BTW, I was thrilled he lost the recruiting battle to FSU for Winston. That would have bordered on unfair and real cries of "Break up Bama!"

Sadly, it's not that simple. If it were, OU would never not have to worry about the position. McCarron does enough to keep the team in good shape, but again, their offense is littered with NFL talent (as is their defense).

Breadburner
11/12/2013, 07:32 PM
I'd say we haven't been getting better on offense and as a result, the team as a whole. But there are bright spots on defense and there is even a good article about that on the ESPN site today. Mike has made progress with where he wants the D to go, but it won't really be apparent until the offense gets better and at least can move the chains a flip field position most the time.

Yep....!!!

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2013, 07:36 PM
Sadly, it's not that simple. If it were, OU would never not have to worry about the position. McCarron does enough to keep the team in good shape, but again, their offense is littered with NFL talent (as is their defense).

I say McCarron gets his shot in the NFL. Of course, he will be surrounded by NFL talent their too, so I guess that won't prove anything. :dog:

Snrinhouston
11/12/2013, 08:05 PM
Yeah they named him the starter at the beginning, if u recall.

I've wondered if they pulled the plug on Knight too soon. Not every qb has a first start like Bradford or Holieway.

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2013, 08:12 PM
I've wondered if they pulled the plug on Knight too soon. Not every qb has a first start like Bradford or Holieway.

As you recall, Knight sustained an injury, and was replaced for that reason. In reality, the plug was pulled during his recovery period and I don't think it was too soon. But I do think he has sat long enough to give him some playing time and see if he has gotten over his nerves or whatever was holding him back. And I mean some real time and not just a few plays where it is obvious he is going to run. That's assuming he is still practicing well, which of course, we don't know.

8timechamps
11/12/2013, 08:49 PM
I say McCarron gets his shot in the NFL. Of course, he will be surrounded by NFL talent their too, so I guess that won't prove anything. :dog:

I'm sure he will too. I think he's a decent QB, I just don't think he's anything special.

dennis580
11/12/2013, 09:13 PM

Winston, and Manzel would

birddog
11/12/2013, 09:15 PM
Murray would too because he has a rocket arm that can stretch defenses

Scott D
11/12/2013, 09:29 PM
McCarron is better than he gets credit for.

Sooners78
11/13/2013, 09:53 AM

yep, plenty of nfl players, especially linemen, but no qbs.

Sooners78
11/13/2013, 10:00 AM
No chance. Bell would still suck at Bama and wouldn't even make the team for that matter.

Remember how Bell looked against Notre Dame, Kansas, and Tulsa? That's how he would look at Bama every game. When players around him are doing their jobs, he does just fine. With a line like Bama's, the belldozer would work everytime, much like last year. And, with the success of the Bama run game, the short throws would be sufficiently easy so that Blake would succeed there also. You all are much too worried about our QB play. This offense has much more fundamental problems that need to be addressed.

Now, do I think Blake Bell is an NFL caliber QB? No!

ddub0224
11/13/2013, 01:39 PM
Remember how Bell looked against Notre Dame, Kansas, and Tulsa? That's how he would look at Bama every game. When players around him are doing their jobs, he does just fine. With a line like Bama's, the belldozer would work everytime, much like last year. And, with the success of the Bama run game, the short throws would be sufficiently easy so that Blake would succeed there also. You all are much too worried about our QB play. This offense has much more fundamental problems that need to be addressed.

Now, do I think Blake Bell is an NFL caliber QB? No!

So, you're saying that with a better O line we would have been able to complete the short throws that texas completely shut down all game? You have to be able to throw the ball longer than 8 yards to make the short throws and the run game work. Every defense now plays us up tight. I don't know what his completion % is for throws over 15 yards, but I would be shocked if it were more than 50%. Now do the receivers take some blame for poor routes and drops...maybe, but half the time it seems like the throw is uncatchable.

BoulderSooner79
11/13/2013, 01:48 PM
So, you're saying that with a better O line we would have been able to complete the short throws that texas completely shut down all game? You have to be able to throw the ball longer than 8 yards to make the short throws and the run game work. Every defense now plays us up tight. I don't know what his completion % is for throws over 15 yards, but I would be shocked if it were more than 50%. Now do the receivers take some blame for poor routes and drops...maybe, but half the time it seems like the throw is uncatchable.

No, he's saying Bell screwed up by not signing with Bama. Bell would be working on his 3rd BCS title having perfected the hand-off technique.

kbsooner21
11/13/2013, 02:15 PM

Wow. Take off the crimson shades. Not even a remotely close comparison.

Sooners78
11/13/2013, 02:45 PM
Wow. Take off the crimson shades. Not even a remotely close comparison.

There's really no way to compare them unless they switch places and see how they do. My main point is that I don't believe there is a QB anywhere in the country right now who could come to Norman and save this offense by himself. It has much bigger problems.

Sooners78
11/13/2013, 02:49 PM
No, he's saying Bell screwed up by not signing with Bama. Bell would be working on his 3rd BCS title having perfected the hand-off technique.

That's a bit of a stretch to say that he would just need to hand off. But, I do think Bell has the type of talent that would be successful if he had the right talent around him. I guess my main point is that I think our talent level has dropped off quite a bit especially in the trenches where it really matters. I blame the coaches for poor line recruiting.

BoulderSooner79
11/13/2013, 02:57 PM
There's really no way to compare them unless they switch places and see how they do. My main point is that I don't believe there is a QB anywhere in the country right now who could come to Norman and save this offense by himself. It has much bigger problems.

No one would argue that last statement. But to say a different level QB could not make a difference, even a big difference, is ludicrous. And I don't have to use Manziel as an extreme example. If we had an LJ-capable QB in the Texas game, it would have made a huge difference. The horns may still have won, but they would have had to do it with different scheme on defense. They could not have played tight coverage inside 10 yards from the LOS and dared our QB to beat them because he would have. That alone would have made the game more competitive.

kbsooner21
11/13/2013, 03:45 PM

I agree the offense has more problems than Bell, I just think he is the main contributor to the problem. He's looked good in what, 2 games? One against one of the worst teams in FBS this year, Tulsa, and the other against an extremely overrated Notre Dame where our D spotted him 14 points to start the game.

And McCarron has won two titles and quite possibly on his way to a 3rd. Bell doesn't even belong in the same breath as McCarron, much less the same sentence. JMO

stoops the eternal pimp
11/13/2013, 04:09 PM
The problem with this offense is it's too dependent on the quarterback..IMO.

Mjcpr
11/13/2013, 04:27 PM
The problem with this offense is it's too dependent on the quarterback..IMO.

How high will Bell be drafted?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/13/2013, 04:58 PM
He'll be drafted right behind Case McCoy

rock on sooner
11/13/2013, 05:11 PM
How high will Bell be drafted?

5th to 7th....as a tight end...

FaninAma
11/13/2013, 05:24 PM
Let Blake be Blake.

JLEW1818
11/13/2013, 11:02 PM
No. The point of this thread is Blake Bell would not be a great QB in any offense or any team. That's fact.

FaninAma
11/14/2013, 01:24 PM
No. The point of this thread is Blake Bell would not be a great QB in any offense or any team. That's fact.
Well, he certainly won't if Josh and the OC keeps trying to turn him into Landry Jones.

BoulderSooner79
11/14/2013, 02:01 PM
Well, he certainly won't if Josh and the OC keeps trying to turn him into Landry Jones.

I keep seeing this comment, but the bottom line is that a QB in a BCS level conference has to be able to read defenses and make the basic throws. Bell has not shown he can do that - at least not consistently. He has shown that he definitely cannot run a true option running attack because he is just too slow. No scheme can fix that. That mean he must be able to pass the ball effectively for our offense to be effective. We have a decent running game, but not powerful enough to dominate. The QB must deliver (along with OL and WRs, of course). Maybe we could stop running the no-huddle and that might take some pressure off the offense, but other than that, I don't see the LJ analogy.

Sooners78
11/14/2013, 02:27 PM

Actually, by definition, it's not a fact, it's an opinion.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2013, 03:47 PM
All I know is I hope the line of scrimmage isn't able to tackle him like the last game.

BoulderSooner79
11/14/2013, 04:13 PM
All I know is I hope the line of scrimmage isn't able to tackle him like the last game.

That was a technical problem with the Fox Sports coverage. The LOS is just a computer generated line superimposed on the video that shouldn't affect the players on the field. Fox Sports had the machine turned up too high last Thursday and we've requested they turn it down.

ddub0224
11/14/2013, 04:18 PM
^^ that was funny

hvhurricane
11/14/2013, 08:45 PM
So, why did the coaches pick Knight at the beginning of the year? Bell comes in and plays one good game and he is untouchable? Either our coaches are horrible evaluators or they were just trying to light a fire under Bell. Sadly, though, Huep needs a bonfire under his ***.

arcman46
11/14/2013, 11:18 PM
So, why did the coaches pick Knight at the beginning of the year? Bell comes in and plays one good game and he is untouchable? Either our coaches are horrible evaluators or they were just trying to light a fire under Bell. Sadly, though, Huep needs a bonfire under his ***.

If they were trying to light a fire under Bell, it would seem that they sorely failed.

SoonerLB
11/16/2013, 06:03 PM
I have been on the Bell bandwagon since he was signed, but lately there has been a strange voice ringing in my ears saying he is little more than club-footed lummox that trips over animated first down lines and has an erratic arm at best. But seriously, I do think if he were behind an offensive line the likes of Bama's, where he could stand in the pocket, and had good receivers to throw to, he could be a better than average QB. If it weren't for quality running backs, neither Peyton Manning nor Tom Brady would have a chance with this inept offense and poor play calling.