PDA

View Full Version : How about a Prayer request thread for the Philippines

olevetonahill
11/10/2013, 06:48 PM
Lots of Folks dead an dying there and Plenty more suffering, Read one report that up to 10,000 dead in ONE city

http://news.yahoo.com/typhoon-deaths-climb-thousands-philippines-200523335.html

Guess we orta say a few for the Viet's also Most of em there Never knew anything about our Little dust up. It Looks like its gonna knock the dog shat out of them also.

Turd_Ferguson
11/10/2013, 07:12 PM
In. Feel for'm.

okiewaker
11/10/2013, 08:18 PM

olevetonahill
11/10/2013, 09:05 PM
Man the Compassion is Just OOOOOSING from the board , :black_eyed:

8timechamps
11/10/2013, 11:00 PM
IN. Horrible ordeal for those folks.

olevetonahill
11/10/2013, 11:26 PM
IN. Horrible ordeal for those folks.

I couldnt even begin to imagine. Picture the Moore tornado and then multiply it by 1000's . The Masive amount of Help needed is just overwhelming in my little Pea pickin mind.
Where to start? Who do you help 1st?

They said Bodies were stuck in trees and buried under all the rubble. Do you start gathering the dead to prevent disease? do you start helping the Injured to prevent more death?

Hell Im Overwhelmed just trying to think about it.

rock on sooner
11/11/2013, 10:13 AM
Saw some footage on tv this morning...absolutely breathtaking...may get
hit again...our marines and many C130's there or on the way.....Heart goes
out....so many probably didn't know it was coming....

achiro
11/11/2013, 11:49 AM
I didn't read the article you posted so it may address this but I talked to a guy a week or so ago(before the storm) who's wife is from the Philippines. They had already had a huge earthquake that damaged a huge number of structures so there were thousands living in camps already when this thing hit. He said something about a huge sinkhole offshore that pulled water away from the island for several hours and when it returned there were all kinds of dead fish and human bodies in it. His church was already in the process of sending supplies before this storm ever happened, now I'm sure the devastation is unimaginable.

KantoSooner
11/11/2013, 12:20 PM
Well, I had a chance to text with a guy I know who lives in Catbalogun (about 100 miles North of Tacloban). The 'Sooner' bar is gone as is the **** fighting arena. A 27 mile long highway connecting them to the main trunk N/S highway is essentially gone, so all relief aid has to come by sea.
His take is that their major need right now is water/food and a ready supply of leaders on the ground (remember New Orleans before Gen'l Honore arrived?)
In larger population centers, like Tacloban, the presence of a US aircraft carrier or nuke sub would help immensely as they can double as power generation stations and drinking water distilleries. In smaller areas, water, in particular, and evacuation of the wounded and the locals will dig out on their own.
From our distance, he suggested money was probably better than gifts in kind (blankets, canned goods, etc.) They've got capacity to produce all that in the region, they don't necessarily have the cash to buy it or transport it. All the normal big time relief agencies operate there, but Red Cross, the major Catholic charities, Medicins San Frontiere etc are all good bets. The Philippine embassy web site will also have suggestions. If you choose to give money, check the party to whom you're donating; this thing is sure to draw out scumbags who'll attempt to take advantage.

dwarthog
11/11/2013, 02:57 PM
Horrible devastation for a lot of folks over there. I'm in.

8timechamps
11/11/2013, 03:48 PM
Just awful. Hard to imagine (in fact, I can't).

diverdog
11/17/2013, 08:31 AM
I couldnt even begin to imagine. Picture the Moore tornado and then multiply it by 1000's . The Masive amount of Help needed is just overwhelming in my little Pea pickin mind.
Where to start? Who do you help 1st?

They said Bodies were stuck in trees and buried under all the rubble. Do you start gathering the dead to prevent disease? do you start helping the Injured to prevent more death?

Hell Im Overwhelmed just trying to think about it.

My BIL is half Filipino. The other half is Boston Southy Irish. In his youth he was one hell of a martial arts fighter.

Anyway, his mom's family has not been in contact with them and they are worried. She is from the island of Mindanao and it is dangerous for her to travel there because of the AQ affiliated group, Abu Sayyef, operates there. I am not clear how bad they got hit. We do have a sizable Filipino community here and I have given money to a doctors organization that is heading over there to help.

olevetonahill
11/17/2013, 09:08 AM
My BIL is half Filipino. The other half is Boston Southy Irish. In his youth he was one hell of a martial arts fighter.

Anyway, his mom's family has not been in contact with them and they are worried. She is from the island of Mindanao and it is dangerous for her to travel there because of the AQ affiliated group, Abu Sayyef, operates there. I am not clear how bad they got hit. We do have a sizable Filipino community here and I have given money to a doctors organization that is heading over there to help.

To me, the Sad part is that By the time every one gets organized and gets there to Offer help. Those that needed it the worse will be DEAD.

diverdog
11/17/2013, 09:48 AM
To me, the Sad part is that By the time every one gets organized and gets there to Offer help. Those that needed it the worse will be DEAD.

I know. We flew a relief mission to Bangladesh after a horrible typhoon and the biggest issue in these third world countries is transportation to the remote areas. Getting supplies there is not as big an issue as getting them to where they need to be. And that means the military in most cases. The good news is when our guys show up things get better....fast. The US has a lot of prepositioned supplies in that area so I think they can mitigate the death count. There is just no way of getting around the damage a storm like that can create.

Do you know how bad Nam got hit? We should help them if we can and build better relations.

KantoSooner
11/18/2013, 11:31 AM
Tons of rain in North Vietnam and SE China. Localized flash floods, power outages, washed out roads, couple of deaths, etc. Bad weekend, but not devastation. One Okie friend who lives in Hanoi had the best comment: "Raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock."
Some people never truly leave our great state.