PDA

View Full Version : Perspective

Temujin
11/9/2013, 01:55 PM
I was born an OU fan. I'm not an old-timer, really...I'm too young to have enjoyed the Selmon brothers and Billy Sims on live television. But I remember the 85 season and pretty distinctly every season since then. I seethed as I watched Jimmy Johnson being carried on the field in the 87-88 Orange bowl. I went through all the hard times after that and got to see them first hand. I also had to endure the constant BS from K-State fans (ugh, they're #2 on my list behind UT fans) while living in Kansas. And oh was it sweet to hand out oranges to all my co-workers after the Big XII championship in 2000. LOL

Like I imagine a lot of you are, I've been pretty wrapped up in this program. Sooner born, sooner bred, and so on. That comes from my grandfather on my mom's side.

My dad, though, is a little bit of a different story. He loves OU every bit as much as I do. After all, he was a fan of OU before I was born. But he wasn't BORN an OU fan. Back in the 70s he married my mom, and obviously spent a lot of time with her family. So he grew to love OU through watching their greatness all through the 70s and 80s. Obviously he's every bit as much of a fan as I am of OU.

But, I have an admission to make. On Thursday, I quit watching after Baylor went up 10-5. I never turned it back on. I knew we were going to lose and I didn't want to see it. I've actually found myself doing this more and more often. The sad thing is that because I think I look at the game too critically and analytically these days, I don't even really enjoy the wins all that much. I think that I get too frustrated at the bad calls and the tough losses, and often miss the good times that being an OU fan affords. That's probably part of my nature as a person. But there's one thing I've observed with my dad that I probably should start emulating more. It comes out in our texts to each other during and after the game:

There's always another game, there's always another season.

When my dad and I text each other during the games, it's probably the same old stuff that everyone does. It usually emulates the game-time threads on here. LOL. But after, my dad always says, "well, we'll get them next time" or "we got KU next week, so we should win that one". Anyway, yesterday, after we all had a little time to cool down from the Baylor debacle, my dad joked, "You know, we'll probably be the only ones in the stadium next week, LOL".

You see, we're going to the Iowa State game. We don't have season tickets or anything since we don't live close enough, but we're making a trip every year to see an OU game. Usually it's a game like Iowa State. Last year it was Baylor. And man, that game last year was tough to watch...but it was also a blast, and we won...and wouldn't you know it, Blake Bell was even the hero of that game.

It's just got me thinking - being an OU fan is awesome. Being part of the OU family is about legacy. OU is about Bud/Barry/Bob, Billy Sims, the Selmons. It's Jamelle Holieway hitting Keith Jackson against Penn State to lead OU to a championship his freshman year. It's about dominating Nebraska defensively 17-7 in 1987 in Lincoln when no one was giving OU a chance. It's Sooner Magic. OU is about coming from nowhere to make a run through Red October. It's about Griffin and 6 TDs. It's about being down 2 touchdowns to Nebraska and during the comeback Wolfolk makes an amazing one-handed catch while on his back, and Heupel then hitting Curtis Fagan immediately after to tie the game. It's about the OU defense pummeling the almighty Florida State offense to win the national championship. It's about Superman. Hell, it's DEFINITELY about 63-14, 14-3, 35-24, 65-13, 12-0, and 28-21, 28-20, 55-17, and 63-21. OU is about beating #1 Texas Tech 65-21, with a roaring stadium "jumping around", and then watching Mack Brown cry about how unfair it is. It's Josh Heupel, Adrian Peterson, Sam Bradford, Jason White, Rocky Calmus, Torrance Marshall, Tommy Harris, Gerald McCoy, Derrick Strait, Roy Williams, Mark Clayton...and ALL the great players that have given us reasons to yell at the top of our lungs. OU is history, legacy, and championships. OU is unbeatable memories that continue to build throughout the decades. This is the stuff that NO ONE forgets. As frustrating as it is to lose, those things fade from memory. And fortunately, they're also fairly rare for OU.

Don't get me wrong. I want another national championship so badly I can taste it. And you've seen my posts around here about the offense and other issues we've had. But damn, I'm going to yell like hell when we face Iowa State next week, and I'm going to have the time of my life with my dad and my son. And this year, even though it's "just" Iowa State, it's going to be a blast, we'll probably win, and I'll walk away from that stadium with another great memory. And I have to say that I owe that to my dad and his ability to see OU football the way it should be. Maybe I'll just start watching these games a little differently, too.

Boomer Sooner, brothers and sisters.
Temujin

Pricetag
11/9/2013, 02:35 PM
Good stuff.

freshchris05
11/9/2013, 02:54 PM
Your post brought back a slew of memories. There's still more championships for the Sooners but we really need to change our philosophy. The finesse style we play will never get us anywhere. Look at Oregon, who does it better than them? And honestly I think they've recruited more legit playmakers than we have for a while now. Finesse works for small schools but when you are Oklahoma you should be able to recruit behemoth linemen(on both sides of the ball), barrel chested FB/TE's, and RB's who want to hit the hole and go north and south. WR's don't mean jack **** if you can't get the ball to them. "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad."

I'm all for throwing it around the field, but we gotta be balanced. Baylor dared us to throw all game.

We can't worry about what other offense's in this wasteland of a conference are doing. If we can't execute our own ****, it don't matter. This scheming of what Tech is gonna run only helps us beat Tech. Then we put players into the pros without a position. Where do our linebackers fit in the NFL? On the practice squad, maybe. So who wants to sign their LOI for that reason alone. The NFL is huge now, college football is just a way to make it there. So with no ties to a particular school, wouldn't you go to one that gives you the best chance to take that step?

Side note: That 2000 game against Nebraska was the highest point in the season for me. Maybe I was just riding high by the end of the season to think Florida State even had a chance against Sooner Magic. To me we had won the NC back in October. That Woolfolk catch oh my lord.

flysooner9
11/9/2013, 02:59 PM
Fantastic post. Although I'm young and only in my 20's I have adopted a similar view point. During my high school age and even some in college I would get unbelievably upset when OU didn't win or didn't win pretty enough. Now I get upset at people who complain about a win just because we didn't blow a team out. In a way years like this help to make every win that much more enjoyable. As the OP stated there's always another game and another season.

soonergirlNeugene
11/9/2013, 03:10 PM
Best thread on here atm.

EatLeadCommie
11/9/2013, 03:20 PM
Sounds like you're about my age (a few years younger). I remember all that stuff too. First OU games were against KSU and Mizzou in 83 and KU in 84 (two horrible losses and a win).

Temujin
11/9/2013, 03:35 PM
That Woolfolk catch oh my lord.

That was the moment I knew we were not only going to win the game, but we were going all the way. There was something magical about that team, just everything put together in just the right way - offense, defense, special teams, leadership, hunger, confidence. Sometimes people use the term "team of destiny" to describe a team. I think the 2000 Sooners are the epitome of that saying. Nebraska was a machine in those years, and we took down the terminator with inspired plays like that Woolfolk catch and the blocked punt, etc. And even though we trounced Texas and KSU right before that, this was the game that brought Sooner Magic back from before the dark ages.

I loved the 85 and 87 teams as a kid, but the 2000 team was easily my favorite that I personally remember.

Temujin
11/9/2013, 03:40 PM
Sounds like you're about my age (a few years younger). I remember all that stuff too. First OU games were against KSU and Mizzou in 83 and KU in 84 (two horrible losses and a win).

I vaguely remember the 84 season. I do remember the abominable tie.

olevetonahill
11/9/2013, 03:49 PM
Ive seen a Lot of Loses in the over 40 years I been a Fan, Just very few Embarrassing ones.

Capt fer the 90s

revelladee
11/9/2013, 04:36 PM
Loved this perspective....this is my son's last year at OU and marching band....we've had some wonderful memories in the past five years at the games...and some disappointments, too...but we will always be sooner fans....through the good, the bad and the ugly.
And there is always another game, another season....for everyone

Boomer!

rock on sooner
11/9/2013, 09:01 PM
Temujin, I go back a little farther but your post is so right on. I can
remember listening to the Sooners on the car radio of the family's 1952
Chevy, while I washed it so I could drive it on Saturday night. (You don't
want to know the water source, but I did get it clean, leastwise that what
she told me.) Platoon football, Tommy MacDonald, Burrises, Harrises, Vessels,
fast forward to Owens and 44 carries against OSU. Also, Sooner Born and
Sooner Bred. I ache with the losses, relish the wins and live for each next
game and next season. As you say, BOOMER....

Aries
11/10/2013, 07:54 AM
I pretty much stopped suffering for days the morning after the-game-of-which-we-never-speak. I was so upset after that game, I didn't even go to bed. Just fell asleep on the couch with the television still on.

I woke up the next morning to the news. The first thing I heard was reports of children who had lost their parents and homes in the tsunami in Thailand, who were now being physically and sexually abused by adults who had taken them in after losing everything. I remember thinking maybe this is God's way of telling me "Relax. It's just a game."

Since then, I'm still disappointed when we lose, but it lasts 15-30 minutes and I start looking forward to a better game next week.

8timechamps
11/10/2013, 03:59 PM
I was born an OU fan. I'm not an old-timer, really...I'm too young to have enjoyed the Selmon brothers and Billy Sims on live television. But I remember the 85 season and pretty distinctly every season since then. I seethed as I watched Jimmy Johnson being carried on the field in the 87-88 Orange bowl. I went through all the hard times after that and got to see them first hand. I also had to endure the constant BS from K-State fans (ugh, they're #2 on my list behind UT fans) while living in Kansas. And oh was it sweet to hand out oranges to all my co-workers after the Big XII championship in 2000. LOL

Like I imagine a lot of you are, I've been pretty wrapped up in this program. Sooner born, sooner bred, and so on. That comes from my grandfather on my mom's side.

My dad, though, is a little bit of a different story. He loves OU every bit as much as I do. After all, he was a fan of OU before I was born. But he wasn't BORN an OU fan. Back in the 70s he married my mom, and obviously spent a lot of time with her family. So he grew to love OU through watching their greatness all through the 70s and 80s. Obviously he's every bit as much of a fan as I am of OU.

But, I have an admission to make. On Thursday, I quit watching after Baylor went up 10-5. I never turned it back on. I knew we were going to lose and I didn't want to see it. I've actually found myself doing this more and more often. The sad thing is that because I think I look at the game too critically and analytically these days, I don't even really enjoy the wins all that much. I think that I get too frustrated at the bad calls and the tough losses, and often miss the good times that being an OU fan affords. That's probably part of my nature as a person. But there's one thing I've observed with my dad that I probably should start emulating more. It comes out in our texts to each other during and after the game:

There's always another game, there's always another season.

When my dad and I text each other during the games, it's probably the same old stuff that everyone does. It usually emulates the game-time threads on here. LOL. But after, my dad always says, "well, we'll get them next time" or "we got KU next week, so we should win that one". Anyway, yesterday, after we all had a little time to cool down from the Baylor debacle, my dad joked, "You know, we'll probably be the only ones in the stadium next week, LOL".

You see, we're going to the Iowa State game. We don't have season tickets or anything since we don't live close enough, but we're making a trip every year to see an OU game. Usually it's a game like Iowa State. Last year it was Baylor. And man, that game last year was tough to watch...but it was also a blast, and we won...and wouldn't you know it, Blake Bell was even the hero of that game.

It's just got me thinking - being an OU fan is awesome. Being part of the OU family is about legacy. OU is about Bud/Barry/Bob, Billy Sims, the Selmons. It's Jamelle Holieway hitting Keith Jackson against Penn State to lead OU to a championship his freshman year. It's about dominating Nebraska defensively 17-7 in 1987 in Lincoln when no one was giving OU a chance. It's Sooner Magic. OU is about coming from nowhere to make a run through Red October. It's about Griffin and 6 TDs. It's about being down 2 touchdowns to Nebraska and during the comeback Wolfolk makes an amazing one-handed catch while on his back, and Heupel then hitting Curtis Fagan immediately after to tie the game. It's about the OU defense pummeling the almighty Florida State offense to win the national championship. It's about Superman. Hell, it's DEFINITELY about 63-14, 14-3, 35-24, 65-13, 12-0, and 28-21, 28-20, 55-17, and 63-21. OU is about beating #1 Texas Tech 65-21, with a roaring stadium "jumping around", and then watching Mack Brown cry about how unfair it is. It's Josh Heupel, Adrian Peterson, Sam Bradford, Jason White, Rocky Calmus, Torrance Marshall, Tommy Harris, Gerald McCoy, Derrick Strait, Roy Williams, Mark Clayton...and ALL the great players that have given us reasons to yell at the top of our lungs. OU is history, legacy, and championships. OU is unbeatable memories that continue to build throughout the decades. This is the stuff that NO ONE forgets. As frustrating as it is to lose, those things fade from memory. And fortunately, they're also fairly rare for OU.

Don't get me wrong. I want another national championship so badly I can taste it. And you've seen my posts around here about the offense and other issues we've had. But damn, I'm going to yell like hell when we face Iowa State next week, and I'm going to have the time of my life with my dad and my son. And this year, even though it's "just" Iowa State, it's going to be a blast, we'll probably win, and I'll walk away from that stadium with another great memory. And I have to say that I owe that to my dad and his ability to see OU football the way it should be. Maybe I'll just start watching these games a little differently, too.

Boomer Sooner, brothers and sisters.
Temujin

Your best post ever. Seriously.

My 14 year old son is going through the "get angry at the refs, the coaches, the fans, etc" after a loss. I always say the same thing to him, I ask "Do you think the Sooners will play again next week? Next season?". That's usually enough to bring his perspective back.

It always sucks to lose, but it's not the end of our lives.

Temujin
11/10/2013, 07:36 PM
Your best post ever. Seriously.

My 14 year old son is going through the "get angry at the refs, the coaches, the fans, etc" after a loss. I always say the same thing to him, I ask "Do you think the Sooners will play again next week? Next season?". That's usually enough to bring his perspective back.

It always sucks to lose, but it's not the end of our lives.

LOL, I think we all go through that phase. I got SOOO mad after that '88 Orange bowl, and I still hate Jimmy Johnson to this day. Although, you're actually lucky to have a 14-year old that loves football and OU as much as you do. :) My 14-year old son just isn't into it. He enjoys going to the games, but mainly because it's an adventure with dad and grandpa. I won't force him to like sports, either, but as long as he's willing to come along and hang with dad, I'll take it.

olevetonahill
11/10/2013, 08:51 PM
LOL, I think we all go through that phase. I got SOOO mad after that '88 Orange bowl, and I still hate Jimmy Johnson to this day. Although, you're actually lucky to have a 14-year old that loves football and OU as much as you do. :) My 14-year old son just isn't into it. He enjoys going to the games, but mainly because it's an adventure with dad and grandpa. I won't force him to like sports, either, but as long as he's willing to come along and hang with dad, I'll take it.

Dont much Care for that there JJ myself :friendly_wink:
After the 03/04 OB loss to Usuck I pretty much quit Breakin shat around my shack. It cost me money I coulda been spendin on Beer.

8timechamps
11/10/2013, 09:19 PM

Well, I have one that loves OU as much as I do, and one that doesn't really pay too much attention. I guess the odds worked in my favor. :)

BajaOklahoma
11/10/2013, 09:41 PM
I've been a Sooner fan since the late 60s. College football team go through cycles, with our up cycle being better than most teams. I try not to talk trash to other team fans and I never gloat after a win, just as I appreciate other fans leaving me alone after a loss.

My son went to work on Friday and all of the OU stuff normally on his desk was on the floor, broken. Classy Baylor fans. How you handle a win says just as much about you as how you handle a loss.

olevetonahill
11/10/2013, 09:57 PM
I've been a Sooner fan since the late 60s. College football team go through cycles, with our up cycle being better than most teams. I try not to talk trash to other team fans and I never gloat after a win, just as I appreciate other fans leaving me alone after a loss.

My son went to work on Friday and all of the OU stuff normally on his desk was on the floor, broken. Classy Baylor fans. How you handle a win says just as much about you as how you handle a loss.

Say What???? What a bunch of Pig losers What all he lose?

Temujin
11/12/2013, 12:02 PM

Wow, that sucks bro.

As for trash-talking, I give it when I get it (ya, I know, TWSS). Otherwise, I don't bother. It's too easy most of the time. ;)

Temujin
11/12/2013, 12:03 PM
Well, I have one that loves OU as much as I do, and one that doesn't really pay too much attention. I guess the odds worked in my favor. :)

LOL, my other is a girl...through and through. She hates all forms of sports. Oh well. LOL

Temujin
11/12/2013, 12:05 PM
Dont much Care for that there JJ myself :friendly_wink:
After the 03/04 OB loss to Usuck I pretty much quit Breakin shat around my shack. It cost me money I coulda been spendin on Beer.

I laughed for a whole year when The King replaced him and won that SB in Dallas. :) And his disastrous run with the Dolphins? Icing on the cake.

oudanny
11/12/2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks for reminding me that it is just a game. The fun comes from those we share those games with and all the great memories. I saw my first OU game in 1971 vs Nebraska. We lost but I still have great memories. There are stories still to be written and I hope I'm around to see a lot more of them.

oucary
11/12/2013, 02:56 PM
Unlike you I have been a fan since 1949 when my oldest brother played at OU. I seen thick and thin. Been a season ticket holder since 79 when I moved back to Oklahoma. Missed one home game due to illness in all those years. This season will also pass but it still burns my *** to see us not prepared to play a game and our coaches don't seem to make adjustments. (Short yardage plays) anywho Boomer Sooner.

Temujin
11/13/2013, 01:03 AM
Unlike you I have been a fan since 1949 when my oldest brother played at OU. I seen thick and thin. Been a season ticket holder since 79 when I moved back to Oklahoma. Missed one home game due to illness in all those years. This season will also pass but it still burns my *** to see us not prepared to play a game and our coaches don't seem to make adjustments. (Short yardage plays) anywho Boomer Sooner.

I understand, and it's awesome to have long-timers around kicking it with us whippersnappers :) My grandpa has been an OU fan since the 40s also...long before my parents were even a thought. I will say that this post doesn't mean I won't get frustrated at the coaches, the players, etc. Just that I hope to enjoy the good times a little more. That's all. Boomer Sooner friend.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/13/2013, 10:23 AM
Clearly Temujin you are another apathetic Sooner fan. If you don't kick a few kittens after a loss, you're not a real fan.

Temujin
11/13/2013, 10:53 AM
Clearly Temujin you are another apathetic Sooner fan. If you don't kick a few kittens after a loss, you're not a real fan.

LOL ;)