PDA

View Full Version : Switzer threw a clunker in every couple of years, Stoops throws them in....

Soonerus
11/8/2013, 11:39 PM
...2-3 per year...no comparison. Switzer is the King !!!

SOONER44EVER
11/8/2013, 11:42 PM
I remember people were trying to compare Bob to Bud and Barry. I lol'ed at them.

Soonerus
11/8/2013, 11:45 PM
I think Switzer's top salary at OU was $40K...weird...

OkieThunderLion
11/8/2013, 11:57 PM
Did you guys miss '81, '82, '83?

Soonerus
11/9/2013, 12:03 AM

Shut it up, punk...

Snrinhouston
11/9/2013, 12:05 AM

Yep. Those were leaner years. I've always wondered if they were triggered by the brutal loss against USC in '81. Would love to ask Switzer if he ever rethought punting the ball away on 4th and 1 after Rhymes came up one yard short on that 3rd down reverse.

Snrinhouston
11/9/2013, 12:23 AM
Shut it up, punk...

This so-called punk has a point. 7-4-1 in 81; 8-4 in '82; and 8-4 in '83 (damn near 7-5 but for Lashar at the OSU game). Barry himself said he asked the powers-that-be before the '84 season how many wins he needed to keep his job. And after the KU loss in '84, he told the team that he needed it to beat Mizzou the next week to save his job. In retrospect, Switzer says the problem those three years were some misses on recruiting. Both people that they got, and the ones they didn't (Leiding to UT and Gill to NU)

Regardless, Stoops' name should not be used in the same sentence as Switzer's.

Soonerus
11/9/2013, 12:26 AM
Switzer had the pass with 3 MNC, nothing further is needed....

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2013, 12:30 AM
Regardless, Stoops' name should not be used in the same sentence as Switzer's.

But you, but you just….

Snrinhouston
11/9/2013, 12:31 AM
Agree. Switzer had a lot of credit in the bank with the two NCs in the 70's and the consecutive OB wins over NU, FSU, and FSU. Further, though the loss totals in 81-83 were unusually high for Switzer, few (if any ) of the losses were embarrassing beatdowns. And many of the losses were nail-biters. Stoops' last three losses damn sure aint been
fourth quarter nail-biters.

Snrinhouston
11/9/2013, 12:32 AM
But you, but you just….

Ah yes...thanks for pointing out the irony/inconsistency. My bad.

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2013, 12:35 AM
Ah yes...thanks for pointing out the irony/inconsistency. My bad.

I just thought it was a trick statement to stub our brains.

Soonerus
11/9/2013, 12:36 AM
You rookies know nothing...this is unacceptable ...

SoonerMachine
11/9/2013, 12:41 AM
And Switzer admitted that he was burned out and even not attending practice like he should. Bob on the other hand...

SOONER44EVER
11/9/2013, 12:45 AM

Who did we lose to by 30 or 40 points in those years? Who gained 600 yards on our D? When did we have delay of game penalties after a tv timeout? When did we never have even 1 timeout left when halftime was approaching? I was there in 81, 82 and 83 and never saw any of this stuff.

Snrinhouston
11/9/2013, 12:48 AM
You rookies know nothing...this is unacceptable ...

Ok Soonerus...you clearly are the resident expert on the point at hand: The contention that Switzer had down years in 81-83. Given that, you should easily be able to answer these questions which I will throw off the top of my head.

1. Who was OU's third string QB in 1981?
2. Who was the star defensive player for the WV team that beat OU in 82?
3. Who was the starting QB for SC in 81? Where did he transfer after that season?
4. Who was the starting QB for SC in 82 for the game in Norman?
5. What defensive player for OU stripped a Houston player of a would be touchdown near the goal line in the Sunbowl?
6. Within plus or minus 10 yards, how many did Dupree have at half time in the Fiesta Bowl?
7. Why didn't Rozier play in the second half of the 83 game?

Snrinhouston
11/9/2013, 12:52 AM
Ok Soonerus...you clearly are the resident expert on the point at hand: The contention that Switzer had down years in 81-83. Given that, you should easily be able to answer these questions which I will throw off the top of my head.

1. Who was OU's third string QB in 1981?
2. Who was the star defensive player for the WV team that beat OU in 82?
3. Who was the starting QB for SC in 81? Where did he transfer after that season?
4. Who was the starting QB for SC in 82 for the game in Norman?
5. What defensive player for OU stripped a Houston player of a would be touchdown near the goal line in the Sunbowl?
6. Within plus or minus 10 yards, how many did Dupree have at half time in the Fiesta Bowl?
7. Why didn't Rozier play in the second half of the 83 game?

Yep, nothing...that's what I thought. You can stop googling the answers.

SOONER44EVER
11/9/2013, 12:54 AM
Yep, nothing...that's what I thought. You can stop googling the answers.I could guess at a bunch. The only one I think I know may be the Dupree one.

Snrinhouston
11/9/2013, 12:58 AM
I could guess at a bunch. The only one I think I know may be the Dupree one.

1. Rod Pegues
2. Darryl Talley
3. John Mazur...left for Texas A/M
4. Sean Salisbury
5. Reilly, believe the first name was Jim.
6. Believe the exact number is 237
7. Hip pointer

My point being, Soonerus needs be a bit more careful before calling people rookies. The number of posts someone has isn't necessarily an indication of how well he/she knows Sooner football.

soonergirlNeugene
11/9/2013, 01:10 AM
The game is different than it was when the King was HC. This isn't the Big 8 and the bone is nothing more than a novelty, much as ppl might wish otherwise. Some of you guys need to calm the hell down. I'm annoyed with the playcalling, but that one is on Heupel who was a stellar QB coach, but dubious as an OC.

SOONER44EVER
11/9/2013, 01:12 AM
1. Rod Pegues
2. Darryl Talley
3. John Mazur...left for Texas A/M
4. Sean Salisbury
5. Reilly, believe the first name was Jim.
6. Believe the exact number is 237
7. Hip pointer

My point being, Soonerus needs be a bit more careful before calling people rookies. The number of posts someone has isn't necessarily an indication of how well he/she knows Sooner football.
I was gonna guess 238. I've seen the highlights so many times I figured I'd be close.

SOONER44EVER
11/9/2013, 01:16 AM
The game is different than it was when the King was HC. This isn't the Big 8 and the bone is nothing more than a novelty, much as ppl might wish otherwise. Some of you guys need to calm the hell down. I'm annoyed with the playcalling, but that one is on Heupel who was a stellar QB coach, but dubious as an OC.

I'll still blame Stoops. He hired Heupel. As the thread stated, Stoops throws in 2 or 3 clunkers every year. as for the game being different........I agree. How many more championships might Barry have won if the BCS was in place back then?

Snrinhouston
11/9/2013, 01:18 AM
I was gonna guess 238. I've seen the highlights so many times I figured I'd be close.

Did a quick google check...turns out it's 239 yards.

Snrinhouston
11/9/2013, 01:22 AM
I'll still blame Stoops. He hired Heupel. As the thread stated, Stoops throws in 2 or 3 clunkers every year. as for the game being different........I agree. How many more championships might Barry have won if the BCS was in place back then?

Agreed. Stoops is the CEO. As much as I hate Texas, (though I don't hate Mack Brown) I respect Brown's willingness to give a coordinator the boot during the season.

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2013, 01:33 AM

I say less.
'74 probation
'75 didn't finish 1 or 2 before bowls
'85 very BCS-like matchup and OU won
'87 very BCS-like matchup and OU lost

So I say Switzer would have 1 title in the BCS era.

SOONER44EVER
11/9/2013, 01:55 AM
I say less.
'74 probation

So I say Switzer would have 1 title in the BCS era.I did forget about the ones on probation but 90 percent of the time before the BCS was formed the top 2 teams didn't get to play each other.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/9/2013, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I'd say the low point in Switzer's career centered around Kelly Phelps at QB.

Claude Arnold (?)
Eddie Crowder (?)

Eddie Crowder (?)

Gene Callame (?)
Jimmy Harris (?), Gene Callame (?)
Jimmy Harris (?)
Jimmy Harris (?)
Brewster Hobby (?), David Baker (?)
Brewster Hobby (?)
Bob Cornell (?)
Jimmy Carpenter (?)
Bobby Page (?)
Ronnie Fletcher (?), Monte Deere (?)
Ronnie Fletcher (?), Bobby Page (?)
John Hammond (?), Ronnie Fletcher (?), Bobby Page (?)
John Hammond (?)
Bobby Warmack (?)

Bobby Warmack (?)

Bobby Warmack (?)

Jack Mildren (?)

Jack Mildren (?)

Jack Mildren (?)

Dave Robertson (?)
Steve Davis (?)

Steve Davis (?)

Steve Davis (?)

Thomas Lott (?)

Thomas Lott (?)

Thomas Lott (?)

J. C. Watts (?)

J. C. Watts (?)

Darrell Shepard (?)

Kelly Phelps (?)

Danny Bradley (?)

Danny Bradley (?)

Troy Aikman† (4), Jamelle Holieway (8)
Jamelle Holieway (?)

Charles Thompson (3), Jamelle Holieway
Jamelle Holieway (?)

Steve Collins (5), Tink Collins(5), Chris Melson(1)
Steve Collins (6), Cale Gundy(5)
Cale Gundy (11), Steve Collins (1)
Cale Gundy (9), Steve Collins (2)
Cale Gundy (12)

Garrick McGee (11), Terence Brown (1),

Eric Moore (11)
Justin Fuente (8), Eric Moore (3)

Eric Moore (6), Brandon Daniels (4), Justin Fuente (2)

Brandon Daniels (5+), Jarrod Reese (?), Patrick Fletcher (?), Jake Sills (1+), Eric Moore (1)
Josh Heupel (12)

Josh Heupel (13)

Jason White (?)‡, Nate Hybl (?)
Jason White (?)‡, Nate Hybl (?)
Jason White (14)‡

Jason White (13)‡

Rhett Bomar (11), Paul Thompson (1)
Paul Thompson (14)

Sam Bradford (14)‡*

Sam Bradford (14)‡*

Landry Jones (5), Sam Bradford (2)‡
Landry Jones(13)

Landry Jones(13)

Landry Jones(13)

Trevor Knight(2), Blake Bell(1)

OUmillenium
11/9/2013, 10:52 AM
Amazing how the success of the team is closely tied to having a good qb at the helm.

yermom
11/9/2013, 11:07 AM
I say less.
'74 probation

i typed out a post similar to this but my browser ate it on my phone

combine that with scholarship limits and parity

overall, Stoops is pretty comparable

injuries and a QB problem haven't helped this year. Landry would be killing it right now

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2013, 11:18 AM
I did forget about the ones on probation but 90 percent of the time before the BCS was formed the top 2 teams didn't get to play each other.

That was my point. Switzer's teams rarely finished in the top 2 and thus would not have won a title under BCS rules. Now if you looked at it the other way and had Switzer coaching now instead of Bob, it's hard to say. He certainly would not have won any running the 'bone :) But I suspect he would have changed with the times and gotten a few shots.

5noubus
11/9/2013, 01:04 PM

I think it is such a different world now
Recruiting has got to be way tougher and different with all the tv exposure, social media, and the Internet all together .
Stoops runs a clean ,tight respectable program . He is a class act.
I still don't know if heupel is ready for the oc job. I don't look for him to go anywhere since he has such strong ties to OU- I hope Bob at least moves him back to qb coach.
We blamed Kevin Wilson too.
Maybe we just don't have the talent.

SoonerorLater
11/9/2013, 01:30 PM
Maybe we just don't have the talent.

We don't. We have good talent but not great. Our QB situation is dire as far as winning football games go. I've been sitting looking at the KSU-TT game and the KSU offense looks a lot more dynamic than ours does. They are laying the wood to TT at Lubbock.

soonergirlNeugene
11/9/2013, 03:04 PM

Heupel was hired as a QB coach. Fresh off of winning a NC as quarterback. Coach's son, a great decision maker on the field etc. As a QB coach, Heupel was a FANTASTIC hire. The line of QBs we've graduated through the system is proof enough. When he moved up to OC, there was an expectation that he would be an improvement on Kevin Wilson's "predictable" calls. There was a lot of excitement on this board about the move. Next step in his development as a HC etc. There were even calls to remove Norvell as Heupel didn't need his help running the offense. Well. It's 2013 and our offense is failing in the transition from a pass first spread offense. Suddenly we have more personnel on the team to suit a power running team, but Heupel's inexperience with that type of offense is glaringly obvious. And there are plenty of reasons to question his ability to handle the job if he can't adapt his strategies to suit the personnel he has. That's on Heupel though. Now Stoops has a tough decision ahead of him. Can he demote Heupel back to QB coach and keep him on staff? Does he want to?

Temujin
11/9/2013, 03:47 PM

LOL, almost everyone fondly remembers the wishbone (myself included), but would anyone put up with 4-5 fumbles per game these days?

soonertodd
11/9/2013, 03:56 PM
We just don't have the talent in the right places anymore.that falls on the coaches for their recruiting and player development. If you want to see something shocking take a look at baylors recruiting class ranks from 2009 til now and compare it to OU's. Meanwhile Alabama has had the top class almost every year since 2007. We are failing in the recruiting battles and player development.

Switzer said it best.when you have the best players it doesn't make much difference in the type of offense or defense you run.it comes down to execution. Bottom line is Switzer always seemed to get the most out of his players.

King Crimson
11/9/2013, 04:06 PM
Heupel was hired as a QB coach. Fresh off of winning a NC as quarterback. Coach's son, a great decision maker on the field etc. As a QB coach, Heupel was a FANTASTIC hire. The line of QBs we've graduated through the system is proof enough. When he moved up to OC, there was an expectation that he would be an improvement on Kevin Wilson's "predictable" calls. There was a lot of excitement on this board about the move. Next step in his development as a HC etc. There were even calls to remove Norvell as Heupel didn't need his help running the offense. Well. It's 2013 and our offense is failing in the transition from a pass first spread offense. Suddenly we have more personnel on the team to suit a power running team, but Heupel's inexperience with that type of offense is glaringly obvious. And there are plenty of reasons to question his ability to handle the job if he can't adapt his strategies to suit the personnel he has. That's on Heupel though. Now Stoops has a tough decision ahead of him. Can he demote Heupel back to QB coach and keep him on staff? Does he want to?

i agree. we all love josh and what he did for the program.

Jacie
11/9/2013, 04:07 PM
Switzer said it best.when you have the best players it doesn't make much difference in the type of offense or defense you run.it comes down to execution. Bottom line is Switzer always seemed to get the most out of his players.

Another Switzerism, always have your best players on defense.

EatLeadCommie
11/9/2013, 04:07 PM
I say less.
'74 probation

And in 84 we would've played BYU, beat them, and not remembered the UW debacle.

Salt City Sooner
11/9/2013, 04:22 PM
I can't seem to find the weekly coaches' poll for '85, but in the last pre-bowl AP poll, we were #3 behind PSU & Miami.

Sabanball
11/9/2013, 05:37 PM
Switzer also had an amazing record against Nebraska--wasn't it something like 12-5?

Soonertodd is right--it all comes back to recruiting and getting players.

yermom
11/9/2013, 06:36 PM
Osborne didn't do crap until Switzer wasn't around to keep him in check...

Snrinhouston
11/9/2013, 07:59 PM
We just don't have the talent in the right places anymore.that falls on the coaches for their recruiting and player development. If you want to see something shocking take a look at baylors recruiting class ranks from 2009 til now and compare it to OU's. Meanwhile Alabama has had the top class almost every year since 2007. We are failing in the recruiting battles and player development.

Yep, my biggest fear is that the diminished luster of the OU brand nationally will start to happen regionally. Lotta nice new bells and whistles in Stillwater courtesy of T-Boone. Those bells and whistles may look even shinier the more tarnished the OU brand becomes.

soonertodd
11/9/2013, 08:52 PM
It bugs me too. After we won it all in 2000 we were the hot program at the time.Stoops had no problems getting into recruits homes. And I think that carried us til 2008. Had we beaten Florida I think it would have picked up again.But we lost our 3rd straight title game and had already lost some embarassing games on the nat'l stage. We definitely are not the same program to recruits as we were 12 years ago.

And yes Switzer owned Osborne like Bob owns mack. See Osbones reaction to having to play us again in the Orange Bowl in 78.

cleller
11/9/2013, 09:18 PM
Have we got around to quizzing who had the jock strap contract in '81, or which type of salad fork Horace Ivory preferred?

Losses happen. The lopsided losses, and horrific play we have seen recently are something from another level.

Snrinhouston
11/9/2013, 09:26 PM
Have we got around to quizzing who had the jock strap contract in '81, or which type of salad fork Horace Ivory preferred?

Losses happen. The lopsided losses, and horrific play we have seen recently are something from another level.

Agree 100%. False start followed immediately by delay of game was so indicative (as well as disgusting)

SoonerorLater
11/9/2013, 09:42 PM

Bud, Barry or Bob....which has the best winning percentage against ranked teams (top 25)? It's Bob Stoops. So why do so many folks just not consider him in the same strata as Bud or Barry? It's just what you said, the not-in-the-ballgame, lopsided losses where we look completely inept and unprepared. You have to dig deep into both Bud and Barry's record to find the kind of losses we now experience every year. Neither Bud or Barry ever experienced anything like the USC debacle or the WV Fiesta Bowl. Barry's bowl game against Arkansas was as close as it came.

At this point I just don't have a lot of confidence we are going to see much, if anything different out of Bob Stoops in the future.

Snrinhouston
11/9/2013, 09:49 PM
Bud, Barry or Bob....which has the best winning percentage against ranked teams (top 25)? It's Bob Stoops. So why do so many folks just not consider him in the same strata as Bud or Barry? It's just what you said, the not-in-the-ballgame, lopsided losses where we look completely inept and unprepared. You have to dig deep into both Bud and Barry's record to find the kind of losses we now experience every year. Neither Bud or Barry ever experienced anything like the USC debacle or the WV Fiesta Bowl. Barry's bowl game against Arkansas was as close as it came.

At this point I just don't have a lot of confidence we are going to see much, if anything different out of Bob Stoops in the future.

Yep. But I'm afraid Boren/Castiglione are not concerned with being an elite team first and foremost. They will only react if attendance/revenue noticeably fall.

SOONER44EVER
11/9/2013, 11:47 PM
I don't have any stats in front of me but I'd bet Barry didn't lose 5 games his entire career to unranked teams. Bob has about that many losses to unranked teams in the last 4 or 5 years. Barry had a few bad losses. Bob has had many.

Soonerus
11/9/2013, 11:50 PM
I don't have any stats in front of me but I'd bet Barry didn't lose 5 games his entire career to unranked teams. Bob has about that many losses to unranked teams in the last 4 or 5 years. Barry had a few bad losses. Bob has had many.

Agreed, many....

SOONER44EVER
11/9/2013, 11:54 PM
And i just don't count unranked teams beating us as a bad loss. When Arky beat us 31-6 that was a bad loss. Bob has had a lot of those lopsided losses too.

birddog
11/10/2013, 12:03 AM
And i just don't count unranked teams beating us as a bad loss. When Arky beat us 31-6 that was a bad loss. Bob has had a lot of those lopsided losses too.

You said many in your previous post and then said a lot in the next. Are u just agreeing with yourself?

SOONER44EVER
11/10/2013, 12:09 AM
You said many in your previous post and then said a lot in the next. Are u just agreeing with yourself?
Yeah. Pretty much.

birddog
11/10/2013, 12:12 AM
Yes, it is much better than arguing with yourself, indeed.

Soonerus
11/10/2013, 12:18 AM
A lot vs. many is a difference without a distinction ....foul on birddog for mentioning it...

soonertodd
11/10/2013, 12:34 AM
By my rough count Switzer lost 8 times to unranked teams. Stoops 15 and counting.Switzers worstoss was the Arky game and Bobs was in the orange bowl also,against USC.

Soonerus
11/10/2013, 12:38 AM
But Switzer rarely got embarrassed...

soonertodd
11/10/2013, 12:45 AM

No he didn't. It happens way too often anymore. Thursday night when the offense was on the field I could hear Benny Hill music playing in my head.

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2013, 12:45 AM

I think that whole Lacewell thing embarrassed him.

Soonerus
11/10/2013, 12:49 AM
I think that whole Lacewell thing embarrassed him.

Possibly, but we are talking about football games...

SanJoaquinSooner
11/10/2013, 12:56 AM
One more thing to add to Switzer's legacy, is him being the Offensive Coordinator when we switched to the wishbone and perfected the most prolific offense the football world had ever witnessed:

In 1971, offensive coordinator Barry Switzer perfected the wishbone offense as it led the nation in both scoring (45 points average) and total yards (563 total yards average), and set an NCAA record by averaging over 472.4 (5196 in 11 games) rushing yards in a season.[4] The team holds the current school record with 7.07 yards per rushing attempt and 7.6 yards per play as well as the records for 469.6 rushing yards (5635 in 12 games counting bowl game) and 566.83 yards of total offense per game. The team also holds the single-season rushing touchdowns record of 62 and rushing touchdowns per game record of 5.17. The team's records of 711 single-game rushing yards and 785 total yards stood for nine seasons.[5] Jack Mildren's single-season record for yards rushing by a quarterback of 1140 would be broken three seasons later by Freddie Solomon.[6]

Greg Pruitt set the current national single-season record with 8.98 yards per attempt,[7] the school's single-game records of 294 rushing yards and 374 all-purpose yards. Meanwhile, Jon Harrison set the single-season and career yards per reception with 29.1 and 27.0.[8] His 2066 single-season all-purpose yards record stood until Quentin Griffin broke it in 2002. Joe Wylie's kickoff return average record of 28.5 stood for 27 years.[9]

The team was led by three All-Americans: Pruitt,[7] Tom Brahaney[10] and Jack Mildren.[11] The team won its first nine games on a schedule that included five ranked opponents (In order, #17 USC, #3 Texas, #6 Colorado, #1 Nebraska and #5 Auburn). All five of these opponents finished the season ranked. The only loss was to Nebraska. They played Auburn in the Sugar Bowl and won 40–22.[3]

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2013, 01:37 AM
Do folks think Switzer is coming back or something? Or is reminiscing about something that ended 25 years ago more fun than discussing the current state of the program?

SoonerMachine
11/10/2013, 11:38 AM
No he didn't. It happens way too often anymore. Thursday night when the offense was on the field I could hear Benny Hill music playing in my head.

Oh my that's funny!!!

SanJoaquinSooner
11/10/2013, 01:59 PM
Do folks think Switzer is coming back or something? Or is reminiscing about something that ended 25 years ago more fun than discussing the current state of the program?

Of course Barry isn't coming back - no more likely than Bud Wilkinson is coming back . Stoops is doing just fine, compared to Blake, Smelly, and Gibbs. But Barry and Bud set the standards.

Indy Sooner
11/10/2013, 02:55 PM
Of course Barry isn't coming back - no more likely than Bud Wilkinson is coming back . Stoops is doing just fine, compared to Blake, Smelly, and Gibbs. But Barry and Bud set the standards.

Exactly. Stoops is closer to Bud and Barry than to those from the "dark years", but would need to reverse the trend of the past several years and win at least one more NC to be seriously considered in that august pantheon.

Snrinhouston
11/10/2013, 03:31 PM
Exactly. Stoops is closer to Bud and Barry than to those from the "dark years", but would need to reverse the trend of the past several years and win at least one more NC to be seriously considered in that august pantheon.

Agree. But I just don't think the current version of Stoops has what it takes to get another NC.

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2013, 05:14 PM
Agree. But I just don't think the current version of Stoops has what it takes to get another NC.

I don't either, but I don't see any value in all the Bob/Barry comparisons. But Bob + staff the last 5 years seems much less effective than Bob + staff his first 5 years. Have to account for how the game has changed since then, but I see that it has changed that much to be the main difference.

Wishboned
11/10/2013, 05:20 PM

Barry's losses to unranked teams.

Kansas 1975 23-3 (In Norman)

Oklahoma State 1976 31-24 (In Norman)

Stanford 1980 31-14 (In Norman)

Missouri 1981 19-14

West Virginia 1982 41-27 (In Norman)

Missouri 1983 10-0

Kansas 1984 28-11

Snrinhouston
11/10/2013, 05:25 PM
I don't either, but I don't see any value in all the Bob/Barry comparisons. But Bob + staff the last 5 years seems much less effective than Bob + staff his first 5 years. Have to account for how the game has changed since then, but I see that it has changed that much to be the main difference.

Yeah, the game has changed. But for what he's paid, I expect Bob to adapt

tulsaoilerfan
11/10/2013, 05:25 PM
Barry's losses to unranked teams.

Kansas 1975 23-3 (In Norman)

Oklahoma State 1976 31-24 (In Norman)

Stanford 1980 31-14 (In Norman)

Missouri 1981 19-14

West Virginia 1982 41-27 (In Norman)

Missouri 1983 10-0

Kansas 1984 28-11

Kansas in 75 we had 8 straight turnovers in that game; people forget that Kansas team was actually pretty good and had Nolan Cromwell running their version of the wishbone.

OSU 76 Terry Miller ran wild on us; can't remember if that was the week before or after the Colorado loss, but the 76 team was young and had suffered quite a few injuries.

Stanford in 1980 we got lit up by one of the best QB's to ever play the game; we could not do anything that do to stop him.

WVA in 82 we got lit up by Jeff Hostetler; again we could do nothing to stop him that game.

I have no real recall of what happened in the 2 Missouri games

tulsaoilerfan
11/10/2013, 05:27 PM
Kansas in 84 was when OU had to start Aikman; the whole team played like crap that day

SoonerorLater
11/10/2013, 05:29 PM

There is no question Stoops and staff have slipped. Baylor is evidence of that. Under Stoops nose Briles has taken a perennial doormat program and has done what no Baylor coach has done before beat us twice...in three years. There isn't any question Stoops has been out coached either by deficient recruiting, poor assistant hiring or player development. Maybe all three. How does this happen? There is no built in advantage to coaching for Baylor. Would it be unreasonable to assume Art Briles is a better head coach than Bob Stoops? If so than what is Oklahoma to do?

bluedogok
11/10/2013, 06:31 PM
Kansas in 84 was when OU had to start Aikman; the whole team played like crap that day
I think Danny Bradley was the starter and injured the week before against Iowa State.

SoonerMachine
11/10/2013, 09:41 PM
If I remember Aikman threw 4 picks in the KU game.

Snrinhouston
11/10/2013, 09:43 PM
There is no question Stoops and staff have slipped. Baylor is evidence of that. Under Stoops nose Briles has taken a perennial doormat program and has done what no Baylor coach has done before beat us twice...in three years. There isn't any question Stoops has been out coached either by deficient recruiting, poor assistant hiring or player development. Maybe all three. How does this happen? There is no built in advantage to coaching for Baylor. Would it be unreasonable to assume Art Briles is a better head coach than Bob Stoops? If so than what is Oklahoma to do?

It starts with Boren. Does Boren care about excellence foremost? Or is 8-4 or 9-3 just fine as long as revenue and attendance don't slip?

If he cares about excellence foremost, the question is can Stoops deliver it once again? I am doubtful. He's been at OU for 15 years now and is financially set for life. He doesn't have the same fears that motivated him back in 1999.

Wishboned
11/10/2013, 10:20 PM
If I remember Aikman threw 4 picks in the KU game.

There were 3 interceptions and 2 fumbles.

Soonerus
11/10/2013, 10:37 PM
Airman went 0-12 passing that game, I was convinced he was horrible...

sooneron
11/10/2013, 10:51 PM
Back in Switzer's days, I don't remember demoralizing losses. Of course, I was young and stupid, but I wasn't demoralized. I was pissed occasionally, but I didn't watch a single college game this weekend because I knew there would be a chance that I'd be watching big boys play that would run rough shod over us. And I'd know that they were better.

Snrinhouston
11/10/2013, 10:51 PM
Airman went 0-12 passing that game, I was convinced he was horrible...

I was 16 at the time, and despondent as hell over the loss. A wiser high school teacher told me don't worry, they'll have his problem fixed in Spring Practice. His point was that Aikman was relying too much on arm strength rather than touch in getting the ball past the backers and in front of the safeties. He was right.

sooneron
11/10/2013, 10:53 PM
That 84 KU game was more depressing more because of what happened after it.

Snrinhouston
11/10/2013, 10:55 PM
That 84 KU game was more depressing more because of what happened after it.

Stanberry/Johnson...that's right

sooneron
11/10/2013, 10:57 PM
I was 16 at the time...
Same AGE!!! *highfive!*

King Crimson
11/10/2013, 11:24 PM
Kansas in 75 we had 8 straight turnovers in that game; people forget that Kansas team was actually pretty good and had Nolan Cromwell running their version of the wishbone.

OSU 76 Terry Miller ran wild on us; can't remember if that was the week before or after the Colorado loss, but the 76 team was young and had suffered quite a few injuries.

Stanford in 1980 we got lit up by one of the best QB's to ever play the game; we could not do anything that do to stop him.

WVA in 82 we got lit up by Jeff Hostetler; again we could do nothing to stop him that game.

I have no real recall of what happened in the 2 Missouri games

i remember all those games except the missouri games. tho, i think phil bradley was their QB in at least one of them. great athlete. many years playing for the mariners i think. i remember Switzer losing to USC and Ohio State at home as well. i was at the 75 ku game. i watched the 76 Colorado loss at the lloyd noble center....on closed circuit tv with my dad.

Wishboned
11/10/2013, 11:24 PM
I was 16 at the time, and despondent as hell over the loss. A wiser high school teacher told me don't worry, they'll have his problem fixed in Spring Practice. His point was that Aikman was relying too much on arm strength rather than touch in getting the ball past the backers and in front of the safeties. He was right.

I was in Basic Training at the time. I wasn't able to watch the games but they would let us buy the Sunday paper. I saw that Aikman started, and I was excited because I played against him for 3 years in high school. Then I saw his stats.

King Crimson
11/10/2013, 11:30 PM
that Stanford game, was raining all day....my pops cut the legs and sleeves off an old golf rain suit and we were going.

game on. elway invented throwing the football against us.