PDA

View Full Version : Remember that coaching vacancy at USC?

Jacie
11/8/2013, 06:57 PM
Look who is on the A-list.

Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin emerges as USC Trojans’ top choice

By Scott Wolf, Los Angeles Daily News
Posted: 11/07/13, 10:17 PM PST

USC hopes to hire its next football coach in December, and Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin has emerged as the top target, according to sources.

Sumlin, who has won 30 games the past 2 1/2 seasons at Houston and Texas A&M, is also mentioned as a possible candidate at Texas and is one of the hottest names in coaching. There could be a bidding war after the season and he might even draw interest from NFL teams.

USC’s search is still in an early stage, but the Trojans have also reached out to former NFL coach and current ESPN analyst Jon Gruden, sources said.

Former Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith has denied twice in the past month that he interviewed with USC. Meanwhile, USC athletic director Pat Haden has not acknowledged interviewing any candidates for the job.

Sumlin, Gruden, Boise State coach Chris Petersen, Vanderbilt coach James Franklin and Denver Broncos interim coach Jack Del Rio are the most frequent names associated with USC. Current Trojans coach Ed Orgeron will also be considered but is not expected to get the job.

However, Orgeron may be asked to stay at USC as an assistant, especially if someone with no West Coast ties like Sumlin gets the job.

Pac-12 Network analyst Rick Neuheisel believes Sumlin is ideal for USC.

“I’m hearing lot of names around the NFL, but I would say a guy like Kevin Sumlin might be the perfect choice,” Neuheisel told the Dan Patrick Show on Wednesday.

Sumlin was asked about being mentioned as a USC candidate shortly after Lane Kiffin was fired after the Trojans’ 62-41 loss to Arizona State.

“It means you’re winning and doing things the right way,” Sumlin said.

He makes $3.1 million at Texas A&M and could probably double his salary at USC. One source said Sumlin is an attractive candidate not just because he is successful but is viewed as a charismatic coach.

USC thrived under former coach Pete Carroll, who energized Southern California with his personality and turned the Trojans into an exciting program. Kiffin was viewed as the anti-Carroll and disdained contact with fans.

Gruden would obviously be a popular choice because he is a national figure. Sources said he is not completely opposed to considering a return to coaching but he did spurn Notre Dame after it fired Charlie Weis.

He might feel different this time around.

Petersen has repeatedly turned down overtures from schools, including UCLA before it hired Jim Mora. But some believe he might be ready to consider a bigger job.

Whether Petersen could adjust to life in Los Angeles, dealing with a larger fan base and more media scrutiny would be the issues regarding his potential hiring.

Franklin’s name surfaced last summer from sources inside the athletic department and he upset Georgia last month. But Vanderbilt is 4-4 overall and 1-4 in the SEC, so he might not generate a lot of excitement.

Sumlin, Franklin and Smith are African-American and some wonder if Haden wants to make a historical hire. USC’s never had an African-American football coach.

Del Rio is a lightning rod for USC fans. Some are adamantly against him while others support a former USC player getting the job. He does not have college coaching experience and was just 69-73 in nine seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Some sources say Del Rio is not a top-tier candidate but could be in the mix if USC’s preferred choices turn them down.

He would not create much of a splash if he were hired and the next USC coach will need to sell the program following the Kiffin era.

One thing to keep in mind that USC’s top choices rarely are hired as head coach. Carroll was famously the Trojans’ fourth choice after former Oregon State coach Dennis Erickson, former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti and former San Diego Chargers coach Mike Riley did not take the job.

Kiffin was hired in 2010 after Riley again rebuffed USC and then-athletic director Mike Garrett was stuck trying to hire someone in January after Carroll went to the Seattle Seahawks.

Orgeron is extremely popular with the players, so he might be a fallback candidate if the Trojans are unable to hire a big-name coach.

The search should be easier this time, though, because the Trojans are nearly off probation and scholarship limits are in effect for only one more season.

Scott D
11/8/2013, 07:22 PM
I think it's funny they try to use Del Rio's NFL record against him. He coached the effin Jaguars for crissakes, that's like coaching the Bengals in the late 90s or the Lions during the Millen years. ;)

lexsooner
11/8/2013, 07:41 PM
I am sure Sumlin is a fine coach. However, I do wonder if most of his success is due to having Superman as his qb. One great qb can carry a college team. VY and Colt made Mack Brown look like a football genius, but we know the rest of the story.

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2013, 07:45 PM
Sumlin would seem an odd fit for a program that traditionally runs an NFL-like offense to go with a stout defense. Very different than Sumlin's Houston or aTm teams. But if they hire Sumlin, I might stop hating USC so much.

lexsooner
11/8/2013, 07:50 PM
Notice Sumlin's name is never mentioned as a potential candidate for Mack Brown's replacement? Gee, I wonder why?

Scott D
11/8/2013, 10:48 PM
I am sure Sumlin is a fine coach. However, I do wonder if most of his success is due to having Superman as his qb. One great qb can carry a college team. VY and Colt made Mack Brown look like a football genius, but we know the rest of the story.

He was successful enough at Houston with Case Keenum. Although I'm sure SicEm will say that all Sumlin had to do was coach Briles' recruits ;)

olevetonahill
11/8/2013, 10:51 PM
Notice Sumlin's name is never mentioned as a potential candidate for Mack Brown's replacement? Gee, I wonder why?

The article quoted mentioned him as a Saxet possible

Sumlin, who has won 30 games the past 2 1/2 seasons at Houston and Texas A&M, is also mentioned as a possible candidate at Texas and is one of the hottest names in coaching. There could be a bidding war after the season and he might even draw interest from NFL teams.

SOONER44EVER
11/8/2013, 10:53 PM
I am sure Sumlin is a fine coach. However, I do wonder if most of his success is due to having Superman as his qb. One great qb can carry a college team. VY and Colt made Mack Brown look like a football genius, but we know the rest of the story. Bob looked like a genius with White, Heupel and Bradford. Now that he has Bell he doesn't look so smart.

TXBOOMER
11/8/2013, 11:55 PM

I don't remember any great college coaches that had a bunch of crappy QB's.

soonergirlNeugene
11/9/2013, 12:55 AM
Texas won't have a new HC next year. The incoming AD basically said as much earlier this week. Also, I'd like to think that the sacrifice we laid out on the altar of shame back in October assisted with that decision.

Sumlin to USC, Briles at Baylor for another year, Mack lives to clap another day.

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2013, 01:10 AM
Texas won't have a new HC next year. The incoming AD basically said as much earlier this week. Also, I'd like to think that the sacrifice we laid out on the altar of shame back in October assisted with that decision.

Sumlin to USC, Briles at Baylor for another year, Mack lives to clap another day.

This has the ring of a post that might get bumped in a month or so. :cocksure::tranquillity:

stoopified
11/9/2013, 10:13 AM
This has the ring of a post that might get bumped in a month or so. :cocksure::tranquillity::)

Rogue
11/9/2013, 04:28 PM
If I'm looking for a coach, and I'm not, Art Briles is my #1 target, assuming Saban, Stoops, Lester, and Meyer aren't going anywhere.

soonergirlNeugene
11/9/2013, 05:35 PM
I don't remember any great college coaches that had a bunch of crappy QB's.

TBH, you might consider Saban. Not that his QBs have been crappy per se, but what buzz they have generated has always been based on being a "QB who has captained his team to 11 wins the past 2 seasons" or something similar. On their own merits, they would certainly fall into the second half of B12 QBs. A&M and Mizzou in the SEC may be changing the demands on the position compared w/ previous years though.

Sabanball
11/9/2013, 05:42 PM
I've been saying this since Kiffin was fired and I think he'd be a great fit.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/9/2013, 06:09 PM
If I'm looking for a coach, and I'm not, Art Briles is my #1 target, assuming Saban, Stoops, Lester, and Meyer aren't going anywhere.FU might fire Muschamp and offer Stoops...again. Who would you want besides Briles, Sumlin or Saban, if Stoops left?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/9/2013, 06:17 PM
Coach Orgeron is doing such a good job of turning usuc around(granted, the stable is loaded with horses and water buffaloes), that he might be the man for the job, AND they might not have to pay top dollar.

Scott D
11/9/2013, 06:30 PM
TBH, you might consider Saban. Not that his QBs have been crappy per se, but what buzz they have generated has always been based on being a "QB who has captained his team to 11 wins the past 2 seasons" or something similar. On their own merits, they would certainly fall into the second half of B12 QBs. A&M and Mizzou in the SEC may be changing the demands on the position compared w/ previous years though.

Saban also employs a KISS offense, something that conceptually eludes the OU staff.

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2013, 07:02 PM
Even with Saban's teams, the QB is key. With J.P. Wilson (game manager), Bama came up short. Both McElroy and McCarron are play makers and it put them over the top.

Personally, this is what I'd like OU to do. Not because Bama does it, but because it is what NFL teams end up doing no matter what fad comes and goes. Having a running QB is great, but risky. It was revealed that Mariotta had a knee sprain going into the Stanford game and it showed. He couldn't step into his throws and he was way off target. And of course his running was off too. I said in another thread at the beginning of the season when everyone was so hot to have a running QB scheme that I bet McCarron is more likely to be healthy at the end of the year than Mariotta. Yes, I know any QB can get hurt, but it's definitely more likely with one that runs. Let the RBs run and have the QB throw and maybe scramble when required.

Sabanball
11/9/2013, 07:10 PM
Even with Saban's teams, the QB is key. With J.P. Wilson (game manager), Bama came up short. Both McElroy and McCarron are play makers and it put them over the top.

Personally, this is what I'd like OU to do. Not because Bama does it, but because it is what NFL teams end up doing no matter what fad comes and goes. Having a running QB is great, but risky. It was revealed that Mariotta had a knee sprain going into the Stanford game and it showed. He couldn't step into his throws and he was way off target. And of course his running was off too. I said in another thread at the beginning of the season when everyone was so hot to have a running QB scheme that I bet McCarron is more likely to be healthy at the end of the year than Mariotta. Yes, I know any QB can get hurt, but it's definitely more likely with one that runs. Let the RBs run and have the QB throw and maybe scramble when required.

Totally agree. Having a good pocket passer, a dominating line, and a good rb is a formula and scheme that has stood the test of time.