PDA

View Full Version : The "Give Kendall a Chance" movement

cherokeebrewer
11/8/2013, 10:42 AM
For lack of anything else to do! Why not?...what we're doing now certainly aint workin'.

You know, what happened last night is what happens when recruiting fails and coaches are not prepared. I'm depressed.

going for a walkabout now

SoonerMarkVA
11/8/2013, 10:48 AM
It's not like Thompson is a walk-on. He was an Elite 11 QB, who exited the competition because of injury. Both Knight and Bell have been given plenty of chances to see how they fare in game situations, and it ain't pretty. If Thompson isn't given a chance this year, then even if he catches fire in the spring and summer, you're still talking about a guy who you have no idea what to expect in a live game.

One thing's for sure: there's just about nothing Thompson could do to lower offensive output. So, you really aren't losing anything by giving him a shot. You aren't giving up a chance to win, or possibly leaving points on the sideline. Unless there are problems with his attitude or work ethic, get him at least a game (preferably at least 2) so we at least have a better idea what we have to prepare for '14.

Soonerus
11/8/2013, 11:34 AM
FTLOG, give Kendall a chance...

badger
11/8/2013, 11:51 AM
We have no shot at a national title, the BCS, the Big 12 title (at least outright) or anything else.

GO KENDAL (one "L" not two apparently?)

cherokeebrewer
11/8/2013, 12:08 PM
GO KENDAL (one "L" not two apparently?)

Sorry, I'm a little weak on Striker/Stryker too. I'm fairly sure it's senility settin' in.

badger
11/8/2013, 12:14 PM
I'm fairly sure it's senility settin' in.

Or seasonoverreality :(

UteSooner
11/8/2013, 12:28 PM
No need. With the same OC expect the same results.

jkjsooner
11/8/2013, 01:52 PM
No need. With the same OC expect the same results.

Let's see. Our QB's can't deliver the ball to receivers. The receivers aren't getting open half the time and they're dropping tons of passes. Run blocking isn't great.

What the heck do you expect from Heupel? It's pretty easy to look bad calling plays when your players aren't getting the job done. When there are limited things you can do successfully or when you don't have confidence in your players you're going to start looking very predictable.

I'm not saying Heupel has done an outstanding job by any stretch but some of the criticism is off.

Texas Golfer
11/8/2013, 06:38 PM
With 75% of the season completed and no chance of a title shot of any sort, is it wise to burn Kendal's redshirt posibilities? If he's willing to redshirt, we can get 4 more years with him. To play him now, we only get 3 years and 3 games.

Scott D
11/8/2013, 07:27 PM
he's already redshirted

Texas Golfer
11/9/2013, 12:37 AM
I thought Trevor Knight was a redshirt freshman and Kendal Thompson was a true freshman. Was I wrong?

Soonerus
11/9/2013, 12:40 AM
Try something else please....

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2013, 01:07 AM
I thought Trevor Knight was a redshirt freshman and Kendal Thompson was a true freshman. Was I wrong?

Yes.

badger
11/11/2013, 09:42 AM
Try something else please....

How I feel about the gameplan post losing :(

Whether that's Kendall starting (or just playing) or something else, let's go!

FlatLander
11/11/2013, 11:19 AM
One rumor I have heard is that they have already received a medical redshirt for KT. Either way my vote is to play him. Heck if he does great, then we have three to four games of experience for him to start next year with.

Spray
11/11/2013, 11:22 AM
Start Thompson. Lose 2 of 3. Sooner fans now hate all their QBs.

Sounds like a good idea.

FlatLander
11/11/2013, 11:27 AM
Start Thompson. Lose 2 of 3. Sooner fans now hate all their QBs.

Sounds like a good idea.

That's why they make the big bucks.

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2013, 11:28 AM
One rumor I have heard is that they have already received a medical redshirt for KT. Either way my vote is to play him. Heck if he does great, then we have three to four games of experience for him to start next year with.

If that were true, why would his father be calling for his son's playing time on a radio show?

KantoSooner
11/11/2013, 11:38 AM
Calling for more playing time for your son on a radio talk show is not the work of a genius.

badger
11/11/2013, 11:43 AM
Stoops, shocking the world, said he will stick with Blake Bell today. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ou/bob-stoops-staying-with-blake-bell/article_af5ff41a-4aee-11e3-a834-0019bb30f31a.html)

And then, because everyone has good stats against Iowa State, Blake Bell will have a much better game against ISU than Baylor, justifying the decision.

Ah well, I was placing myself on mommy duty this weekend anyway. For those of you going to the game, enjoy the rout

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2013, 11:50 AM
Calling for more playing time for your son on a radio talk show is not the work of a genius.

True, but even a clinical idiot would understand a redshirt situation. Also, I don't know why getting a redshirt for KT would be a secret.

dennis580
11/11/2013, 12:02 PM
I say let Bell finish the year, and then declare the QB job open next spring, and give Bell, Thompson, and Knight a equal shot at winning it. Unless Bell has a bad 1st half against Iowa St. If that happens then put Thompson in, and let him finish the year unless he plays bad too. If that happens then give Knight another shot

SoonerinSouthlake
11/11/2013, 12:02 PM
This isnt the NFL guys. We dont get a better draft pick if we have a crappier record. College coaches cant afford to just chuck the season so someone can get on the field. Conceding 2-3 losses will hurt recruiting.

Now that said, I dont know much about KT. If he's actually the best player and will give us a better chance to win, them Im with ya. But I have to believe Bob has a decent reason to leave him where is for now

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2013, 12:15 PM
This isnt the NFL guys. We dont get a better draft pick if we have a crappier record. College coaches cant afford to just chuck the season so someone can get on the field. Conceding 2-3 losses will hurt recruiting.

Now that said, I dont know much about KT. If he's actually the best player and will give us a better chance to win, them Im with ya. But I have to believe Bob has a decent reason to leave him where is for now

I don't think anyone wants to concede any games. The hope is that a new guy might provide a spark to increase the chances of victory. It's happened many times before at both CFB and NFL levels. This offense *needs* a spark. Probably not against ISU, but for the 2 after that.

sooneron
11/11/2013, 12:36 PM
In one way, this reminds me of the Marcus Walker redshirt burn. Of course, we were undefeated and it meant continuing that way, but I'm not sure it was helpful to Walker's development. The offense is set up for disaster- 2 OCs, 2 (maybe 3) Qbs...

Soonerjeepman
11/11/2013, 12:37 PM

see your point, but honestly I haven't seen much from Blake for the last couple of games (yes I am calling for JH to step down from the co-OC job) but Bell has to make the plays. Give the other kid a shot. Can't be much worse. I think what it would show recruits could be a good thing...if the guy ahead of you is struggling...over a period of time then you may get your shot...rather than no matter how hard you work or the guy in front is struggling you don't get a chance.

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2013, 12:47 PM
In one way, this reminds me of the Marcus Walker redshirt burn. Of course, we were undefeated and it meant continuing that way, but I'm not sure it was helpful to Walker's development. The offense is set up for disaster- 2 OCs, 2 (maybe 3) Qbs...

If indeed this is a redshirt situation. KT has already had his redshirt year, so we're speculating medical redshirt. Those don't seem to be a lock for approval.

SoonerMarkVA
11/11/2013, 01:33 PM

I'm a bit puzzled here. How exactly does having a different QB concede the games? You really expect OU's offensive output to go down? Due to QB play? What has Bell shown you the last few games that bringing in another QB may give up?

sooneron
11/11/2013, 03:01 PM
If indeed this is a redshirt situation. KT has already had his redshirt year, so we're speculating medical redshirt. Those don't seem to be a lock for approval.

I looked it up. He's listed with 2011, but I think he applied to that class as he was early enrollee. That means he redshirted last year. **** it, play him if he can throw a ball.

8timechamps
11/11/2013, 03:26 PM
I say let Bell finish the year, and then declare the QB job open next spring, and give Bell, Thompson, and Knight a equal shot at winning it. Unless Bell has a bad 1st half against Iowa St. If that happens then put Thompson in, and let him finish the year unless he plays bad too. If that happens then give Knight another shot

I'm on board with this. Bell, while certainly not elite, has played pretty good at times this year, and it's not like Knight has lit it up when called upon. With three games (and a bowl game) to go, I say leave Bell at the helm and reopen the position next spring.

Next spring we'll have 5 QBs on campus:

Bell
Knight
Thompson
Thomas
Hansen

One of those guys is "the" guy.

Scott D
11/11/2013, 05:45 PM
I'm on board with this. Bell, while certainly not elite, has played pretty good at times this year, and it's not like Knight has lit it up when called upon. With three games (and a bowl game) to go, I say leave Bell at the helm and reopen the position next spring.

Next spring we'll have 5 QBs on campus:

Bell
Knight
Thompson
Thomas
Hansen

One of those guys is "the" guy.

so you're saying that no Dylan Bundy anytime soon? ;)

8timechamps
11/11/2013, 05:51 PM
so you're saying that no Dylan Bundy anytime soon? ;)

Not on the horizon...although, who knows with his Tommy John surgery...maybe he'll make a football go of things. :)

8timechamps
11/11/2013, 06:09 PM
After listening to Stoops' Monday press conference, I think it's a little more clear as to why we haven't seen Thompson. I didn't realize he had missed 40 practices with his injury. That's a ton, and would certainly be a challenge for the best of athletes to come back from quickly. While I think Thompson's probably caught up mentally, expecting him to be at the same level as Bell or Knight, after getting off to such a slow start, is probably overly ambitious.

KantoSooner
11/12/2013, 09:14 AM
Mebbe we should try Bester out at the position...I think he's at 100% on his passing this year...

olevetonahill
11/12/2013, 09:24 AM

Im with you on the part of The Coaches see sompun WE as fans dont. Maybe they are trying STILL for a Medicak on KT who knows? But something is going on behind the scenes that we Cant see.

badger
11/13/2013, 10:23 AM
He's not going to play (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sports/ou/ou-sports-for-kendal-thompson-to-get-his-shot-on/article_febdda50-4c73-11e3-a23e-001a4bcf6878.html) :(

Barring injuries or something strange off-field, they're not going to give him a chance.

ah well, how does "**** baylor" look as an avatar :(

5noubus
11/14/2013, 06:53 AM
Unless the online likes Kendal better and gives him more time, I don't think it would help too much.
It's like watching a bad Hs team the way they come off the ball.