PDA

View Full Version : Here is the worst part for me

Sooner in Tampa
11/8/2013, 08:18 AM
I ain't that upset that be took an arse whoopin at the hands of Baylor

I didn't EXPECT us to win. That is the worst part...I don't expect OU to come up big in the big games anymore

Sure we beat ND and that felt great...but that feeling has long since past...now, we are just a middle of the road team

Our offense was the worst circle jerk that I can remember being on the field since the Blake years...let that sink in for a minute...the Blake years :(

I am not going to go all fire Coach X, Coach Y, and Coach Z...but I do know the ENTIRE OFFENSIVE staff needs to take a serious look in the mirror...Bell failed and the O line was awful...

Oh Well...onto Iowa State

wishbonesooner
11/8/2013, 08:35 AM
I hate to admit it, but I feel exactly the same. I expect us to look clueless in big games. Back in '99, Bob said he would never make excuses. I seem to hear a bunch of them nowadays. Let's play strong the rest of the way Sooners.

Jack T.
11/8/2013, 09:05 AM
It's to the point I can't watch big games. . .and now it seems they are all big games.

I watched one quarter of Texas, 45 seconds of Notre Dame, and zero of Baylor. I just can't get enjoyment out of watching us play, and that's kinda the point of being a fan.

jkjsooner
11/8/2013, 09:22 AM
Our offense was the worst circle jerk that I can remember being on the field since the Blake years...let that sink in for a minute...the Blake years :(

You do realize there hasn't been a head coach other than Stoops since the Blake years. That means that he inevitably would have games that were the "worst circle jerk ... since the Blake years."

In fact, in our first game in '99 we had our worst circle jerk since the Blake years by definition.

jkjsooner
11/8/2013, 09:26 AM
I hate to admit it, but I feel exactly the same. I expect us to look clueless in big games.

Except they're only big games if we lose them. Did we look clueless against Notre Dame? Did we look clueless against Texas last year or the year before? Oh, but those aren't big games - unless we lose them.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/8/2013, 09:26 AM
You do realize there hasn't been a head coach other than Stoops since the Blake years. That means that he inevitably would have games that were the "worst circle jerk ... since the Blake years."

In fact, in our first game in '99 we had our worst circle jerk since the Blake years by definition.

Hahaa.

BigJerm7
11/8/2013, 09:30 AM
Last night was bad.

soonerdo
11/8/2013, 09:37 AM
results of winning recruiting battles with the likes of Tulsa, Utah, New Mexico St...ect

jkjsooner
11/8/2013, 09:48 AM
Last night was bad.

Now I agree with that. Just don't agree with the statement "worst circle jerk since Blake" really means much. If you argue it's the worst circle jerk in the last 40 years except for the Blake era then that would be saying something.

But I think we were bad not because the coaches had a bad game plan. We were bad because we don't have the talent to compete with Baylor this year. That's especially true at QB.

We can blame Stoops for the lack of talent.

PrideMom
11/8/2013, 10:11 AM
What I saw is OU is just mediocre, and THAT should NEVER be acceptable! There has been nothing new, fresh or interesting with this team. Last night even the kicking game, special teams, were bad. We need to see the attitude that Baylor showed. You cannot have 1st and twenty and expect to move the ball when there was no passing game. Blake Bell may be a player everyone LIKES, but he is too slow, and cannot make decisions. Trevor Knight was supposed to have been the quicker and better passer, but after throwing interceptions in the first games was yanked. Maybe that was too much of a knee-jerk reaction, and now OU doesn't have a QB at all.

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2013, 11:07 AM
results of winning recruiting battles with the likes of Tulsa, Utah, New Mexico St...ect

And we beat Tulsa soundly on the field too, so it's working!

Snrinhouston
11/8/2013, 11:22 AM
What I saw is OU is just mediocre, and THAT should NEVER be acceptable! There has been nothing new, fresh or interesting with this team. Last night even the kicking game, special teams, were bad. We need to see the attitude that Baylor showed. You cannot have 1st and twenty and expect to move the ball when there was no passing game. Blake Bell may be a player everyone LIKES, but he is too slow, and cannot make decisions. Trevor Knight was supposed to have been the quicker and better passer, but after throwing interceptions in the first games was yanked. Maybe that was too much of a knee-jerk reaction, and now OU doesn't have a QB at all.

Agree. Pulled the plug on Knight too soon.

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2013, 11:33 AM
Maybe the worst part is we still have 2 road games to go.

Sooner in Tampa
11/8/2013, 11:53 AM

Yes, yes I do realize that...thank you for the history lesson professor...you were probably still suckin on Infamil during those years...so you don't understand the reference

The point I was trying to make very simply is this: the offense was HORRENDOUS and there is ZERO excuse for it...we were awful when Blake was the head coach...nobody knew who the QB was going to be so there we no rythmn

And another...when 2 top 10 teams play...That's a big game! It's really not that hard to figure out.

Pricetag
11/8/2013, 11:59 AM
The worst part for me was seeing Baylor do exactly what they needed to do early to put OU in a great place. They felt the pressure, and they choked a little bit. I get mad when I see opportunities go by, and I like to say that OU blew it, but they didn't blow it this time. They didn't have the stuff to take advantage. It was literally impossible, and that sucks.

olevetonahill
11/8/2013, 12:27 PM
The Worst part to me was we Looked like the ****in Keystone Cops on offense.

EatLeadCommie
11/8/2013, 02:56 PM
Watching the boys run around like chickens with their heads cut off last night when the offense was on the field was a spitting image of the 1998 RRS. Total and complete incompetence.

SoonerorLater
11/8/2013, 03:33 PM
The worst part of it is still to come for me. We have a shot at going 10-3 this year and invariably there will be a legion of posters that will point out that this is proof positive of what a good coach Bob Stoops is.

And no I don't want to hear about injuries. Baylor lost what is likely a first round NFL back last night, plugged in their third string back and didn't miss a beat. That was the way it used to be at OU. Somebody goes down and we plug in the next All-American candidate.

FlatLander
11/8/2013, 04:26 PM
The worst part of it is still to come for me. We have a shot at going 10-3 this year and invariably there will be a legion of posters that will point out that this is proof positive of what a good coach Bob Stoops is.

And no I don't want to hear about injuries. Baylor lost what is likely a first round NFL back last night, plugged in their third string back and didn't miss a beat. That was the way it used to be at OU. Somebody goes down and we plug in the next All-American candidate.

Same here. Last year's Cotton Bowl, this year's Texas game, and then last night, all had a lot of national attention and we were basically an embarrasment and got blown out. Heck, I even think last years OSU game was embarassing. The quality players are going to be hard to sign because, games like those are had to explain off with, "if one play had gone differently we could have won". If they don't make some changes, to best use the talent we have, instead of trying to force "their" system on the talent, then it may be several years of this.

freshchris05
11/8/2013, 04:33 PM
I remember when we had a DB named Patrick come in for AD and look pretty damn good doing it.

Snrinhouston
11/8/2013, 05:18 PM
Same here. Last year's Cotton Bowl, this year's Texas game, and then last night, all had a lot of national attention and we were basically an embarrasment and got blown out. Heck, I even think last years OSU game was embarassing. The quality players are going to be hard to sign because, games like those are had to explain off with, "if one play had gone differently we could have won". If they don't make some changes, to best use the talent we have, instead of trying to force "their" system on the talent, then it may be several years of this.

This is EXACTLY right. Stoops has already lost the luster of the OU brand nationally. He is closer than he thinks of being surpassed by the OSU brand regionally.

Last night should not be interpreted as a distant early warning. The signs of decay have been apparent for well over three years now. Last night should be interpreted as "Last chance to fix this before all the wheels come off". And yes, continuous 9-3 or 8-4 seasons without a BCS bowl game should be interpreted by OU fans as "the wheels coming off"

Bourbon St Sooner
11/8/2013, 05:28 PM
Yes, yes I do realize that...thank you for the history lesson professor...you were probably still suckin on Infamil during those years...so you don't understand the reference

The point I was trying to make very simply is this: the offense was HORRENDOUS and there is ZERO excuse for it...we were awful when Blake was the head coach...nobody knew who the QB was going to be so there we no rythmn

And another...when 2 top 10 teams play...That's a big game! It's really not that hard to figure out.

So playing a top 10 texas tech wasn't a big game but playing a texas team outside the top 25 is. Got it.

SoonerorLater
11/8/2013, 05:47 PM
So playing a top 10 texas tech wasn't a big game but playing a texas team outside the top 25 is. Got it.

Yes it was but we expect to be 2-0 not 1-1 against them.

Sooner in Tampa
11/13/2013, 09:06 AM
Ummm...nope, sorry...playing a paper tiger that is CLEARLY overrated at home does not compare to the Baylor game...nor does it even come close the OU vs. Sexat game.

Nice try though...

Jacie
11/13/2013, 09:36 AM
Remember the First Rule of Bob Stoops (as imposed by non-Sooners): It is only a big game when OU loses . . .

Bourbon St Sooner
11/13/2013, 09:57 AM
Baylor would have been another overrated paper tiger if we would have beaten them.

birddog
11/13/2013, 01:30 PM
Rb

SoonerorLater
11/13/2013, 04:52 PM
Baylor would have been another overrated paper tiger if we would have beaten them.

Well, if we would have beaten them they wouldn't be 8-0 and number 5 in the country. Here is what we can say. OU has lost to the two best teams they have played.

stoopified
11/13/2013, 11:32 PM
results of winning recruiting battles with the likes of Tulsa, Utah, New Mexico St...ect Yeah,like Baylor has a bunch of bluechips.It ain't recruiting rankings or you beat out for recruits but evaluating talent regardless who is recruiting them.Our 2000 NC team was not built on bluechips.In fact I would argue that our most bluechip loaded teams have struggled. I think an apparent return to trusting staff evaluation over national ranking is a good thing.

soonerloyal
11/15/2013, 09:37 AM
Used to be when we lost, I'd scream, slam & throw things during the game, sulk for an hour or so then shrug it off and start pumping up for the next game. Dunno if it's because this year has sucked bigtime, losing one of my "adopted" sons to his IED injuries, then losing my sweet husband of 34 years and just all-around ready for this horrid year to be over...but all I can muster at this point in the season is "We suck, not gonna care, meh." So just throwing out to my favorite peoples here at SF...I'm sorry for my bad attitude. I just can't bring myself to expect anything better from Stoops & Co right now. It makes me a bit of a traitor, and for that I apologize. Someone please wake me up when Heupel is replaced, ok?

Okie35
11/15/2013, 02:10 PM
Ummm...nope, sorry...playing a paper tiger that is CLEARLY overrated at home does not compare to the Baylor game...nor does it even come close the OU vs. Sexat game.

Nice try though...

Tech was overrated buttttt.... they haven't played anyoneo after us as tough/creative as they played us in Norman. They pretty much threw everything they could at us. When I watched them play OSU and KSU they hardly did anything flashy.

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2013, 02:39 PM
Tech was overrated buttttt.... they haven't played anyoneo after us as tough/creative as they played us in Norman. They pretty much threw everything they could at us. When I watched them play OSU and KSU they hardly did anything flashy.

That's one way to look at it. But my thoughts after watching the OU/TT game was that it was entertaining and competitive, but I was not watching very good teams play. I fully expected that whippin' we got in Waco as well as TT coming down to earth now that the easy part of their schedule is behind them.

It seems the expert pre-seaon predictions for the Big12 is coming true. The favorites were OSU,Baylor,Texas, OU generally in that order. A few had OU at #2, but almost all cited concerns at the QB position. The surprise has been Baylor, but they were replacing QBs as well. The horns had a terrible start, but firing Diaz seems to have been the right thing to do. OU struggling so much on offense and already out of the race has been the negative surprise. The big12 scheduling has really worked out to have all the best teams playing each other the final few weeks. It's just a bummer we're not included in that race. :(

Jacie
11/16/2013, 12:07 PM
On the plus side, the Sooner D held Baylor to 20 points under their scoring average . . .