PDA

View Full Version : stoops' presser

Soonerjeepman
11/8/2013, 01:56 AM
lol..question was "did you feel good about off game plan before game"...bob "yes..it wasn't executed (players fault) right"...wtf...what game plan..

OkieThunderLion
11/8/2013, 02:01 AM
The kids played like crap tonight. Coaches have to take the blame, and I understand that.

olevetonahill
11/8/2013, 02:06 AM
Please tell me Bob Dint Blame this Trimester bloody abortion on the Players Cept Bell that is

SanJoaquinSooner
11/8/2013, 02:08 AM
Don't they have some walk-ons they can use to practice tackling?

OkieThunderLion
11/8/2013, 02:10 AM
Please tell me Bob Dint Blame this Trimester bloody abortion on the Players Cept Bell that is

You don't throw a 21 year-old kid under the bus in the press conference because he played a bad game.

olevetonahill
11/8/2013, 02:20 AM
You don't throw a 21 year-old kid under the bus in the press conference because he played a bad game.

CEPT BELL that boy May be a great Kid as Ive said before, BUT he aint worth a shat as a QB

jduggle
11/8/2013, 06:39 AM
CEPT BELL that boy May be a great Kid as Ive said before, BUT he aint worth a shat as a QB

What I find deeply disturbing is that Coach Stoops had a 4 year starter in Landry which gave him plenty of time to groom a successor. Not only is Bell not ready, but it's becoming more obvious he might be more suited to play fullback or tightend.

David Earl
11/8/2013, 07:02 AM

This.

bmjlr
11/8/2013, 09:21 AM

This ^^^^

SoonerinSouthlake
11/8/2013, 09:43 AM

AGREED. Josh may not be an offensive genius, in fact he may be a poor coordinator. But when you have a QB who throws behind crossing routes, and over the heads of open go routes, there isnt much you can call. If defenses know you cant pass, then you sure cant run.

Fire Bell

thecrimsoncrusader
11/8/2013, 09:46 AM
Josh Heupel already showed he wasn't the answer as an offensive coordinator even when he had OU's all-time leading passer. 17 points against KSU, 13 points against Notre Dame and 13 points against Texas A&M, which were all losses, displayed that last season. Even a good QB can't save Josh Heupel's ineptitude as an offensive coordinator.

PrideMom
11/8/2013, 09:51 AM
If we are truly honest, the only game that OU played well was at Notre Dame. All of the other games were mediocre at best. ANYTIME you see OU get behind against Kansas, you know they have problems. True, OU has had key players injured, but that is still no excuse for the indecision of plays, and penalties, etc.

Mjcpr
11/8/2013, 10:17 AM
I don't think coaches should throw their players under the bus in press conferences but it has nothing to do with them being "kids". At what point did 21 year olds become "kids"?

badger
11/8/2013, 10:23 AM
It sounds like a certain member of the press might have made Stoops angry again (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sports/johnehoover/game-point-bob-stoops-didn-t-like-sooners-run-game/article_6ab51402-483d-11e3-ac77-0019bb30f31a.html).

Running the football would be the only way Oklahoma would beat Baylor. Everybody knew this. Surely the Sooner coaches did, too?

“Well,” Stoops replied, “it didn’t work real well (when) we did run ‘em. How did it look to you? We did run ‘em. How’d they look?”

Stoops refused to consider that the OU offense was just as hobbled without all-everything fullback Trey Millard as was Millard himself, who slowly made his way around Floyd Casey Stadium on crutches after suffering torn knee ligaments last week against Texas Tech.

“I’m not gonna put it on that,” he said. “But, you know. I’m not saying that. You can say it. Or not say it. That’s not a question I’ll answer.”

Mjcpr
11/8/2013, 10:40 AM
Hoover. He's about the only one that doesn't give Stoops a pass on everything.

Snrinhouston
11/8/2013, 10:55 AM
I only want to hear one thing out of Stoops. It's an answer to the following question:

"How has the product you've put on the field the last three seasons justified the hefty premium you are paid above almost all other Division I coaches?"

SoonerKnight
11/8/2013, 10:59 AM
Then you put in different QB and see if they can throw it!! Bell should have been pulled!

birddog
11/8/2013, 11:10 AM
we've known for many years now that stoops is stubborn and arrogant. I just think he doesn't have any answers to fix this. How many times can he blame losses on being outplayed and outcoached?

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2013, 11:14 AM
we've known for many years now that stoops is stubborn and arrogant. I just think he doesn't have any answers to fix this. How many times can he blame losses on being outplayed and outcoached?

Well, those are the most common causes of losses.

Snrinhouston
11/8/2013, 11:16 AM

That sums it up. I could put up with stubborn and arrogant if the results were Sabanesque. If I were Boren, I would make it very clear that the 2014 season best end with a BCS bowl game win, or Stoops and Co. are done.

Mjcpr
11/8/2013, 11:19 AM
That sums it up. I could put up with stubborn and arrogant if the results were Sabanesque. If I were Boren, I would make it very clear that the 2014 season best end with a BCS bowl game win, or Stoops and Co. are done.

Yeah, there is a less than 0% chance of that happening. OU would get roasted for even entertaining the idea of firing Stoops, it isn't going to happen and he hasn't performed badly enough to be fired, even though it sometimes feels like it. I do think he should make additional staff changes but those are pretty iffy too (until last year).

Socrefbek
11/8/2013, 11:35 AM
Here is the deal. OU is one of those programs that should be winning a NC every 10 to 15 years. If you don't then it is time to shake things up.

It happened with Bud, Barry won in '85 to save his job, and Bob's statute of limitations is running out. You don't get to rest on your laurels and collect multi million dollar salary year after year because you w on 1 time.

Snrinhouston
11/8/2013, 11:39 AM
Yeah, there is a less than 0% chance of that happening. OU would get roasted for even entertaining the idea of firing Stoops, it isn't going to happen and he hasn't performed badly enough to be fired, even though it sometimes feels like it. I do think he should make additional staff changes but those are pretty iffy too (until last year).

I agree. It won't happen. For whatever reason, Boren and Castiglione will accept B/B- results.

But I disagree with your statement that Stoops doesn't deserve to be fired. He is one of the highest paid coaches...gets paid 5 star money...OU has not been a five star team since the 2008 season. This will be the fourth time in five years that the team does not go to a BCS bowl. Its last BCS win was over a lackluster Uconn team. Excluding FSU, Stoops' BCS wins have been over Wazzou and Uconn. Woo-Hoo.

The job description as OU's head football coach should be, "maintaining the high standard that's defined Oklahoma football". Barry called it "feeding the monster". Bob has not fed the monster for a LONG time. Need to find someone who can.

UteSooner
11/8/2013, 11:57 AM
Stoops won't and shouldn't be fired. But if he's unwilling to make OC changes soon I'll change my tune.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/8/2013, 12:39 PM
I am tired of Stoops poor performance over the last few years. Time for him to give himself a hint and move on...

picasso
11/8/2013, 12:52 PM
Hoover. He's about the only one that doesn't give Stoops a pass on everything.

Really? That's not true.
And I've heard Hoover on the radio in Tulsa and he has dooshed up condescending attitude when it comes to speaking about OU.

Okie35
11/8/2013, 12:57 PM

Yea if 9 and 10 wins season were enough to be fired there'd be A LOT of openings. Honestly, as bad as the offense has been its been a miracle we're 7-2 and can end up @ best 11-2 @ the end of the season (after the bowl)

Okie35
11/8/2013, 12:58 PM
Stoops won't and shouldn't be fired. But if he's unwilling to make OC changes soon I'll change my tune.

I agree w/ this.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/8/2013, 01:01 PM

The problem is that we won't even see the effect of last year's changes for 2 more years to even know if we got good replacements. We see now that Kish is doing a decent job upgrading our LB talent, but the only reason we see that this year is because of all of the injuries. I just don't see our fans hanging with him for 2 more years, especially since right now the guy we need to replace is our QB coach. 2 years with a bad QB is going to bring out the pitchforks.

Soonerjeepman
11/8/2013, 01:02 PM
Okie...you HONESTLY REALISTICALLY think we'll end up 11-2?

If the injuries we had last night are season ending I can honestly seeing OU at 8-4 for the season and depending on who we get 8-5/9-4.

I'd say 9-3 at best giving osu the lean over ksu in beating OU.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/8/2013, 01:04 PM

If the injuries we had last night are season ending I can honestly seeing OU at 8-4 for the season and depending on who we get 8-5/9-4.

I didn't think we'd go 11-2 before the season started. The defense is performing a lot better than I thought it would, but you can't get over the loss of production from both the QB and RB spots.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/8/2013, 01:09 PM
We will be 7-4. Will lose both road games.

badger
11/8/2013, 01:11 PM
We will be 7-4. Will lose both road games.

If the Pokes rush their field, they are worse than Baylor, who did not. Just sayin'

Okie35
11/8/2013, 01:14 PM

I said "at best". I think we'll win our bowl game regardless of who it is but :grumpy: right now we're projected to play UCLA in the Alamo bowl.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/8/2013, 02:03 PM
Stoops has managed to get me to lose enthusiasm with the Sooners. I haven't watched a game live in over two years (mostly due to my work schedule, but when home, I don't watch live either). I am tired of the lack of effort or fire from the coaches and players. 1999 and 2000 were teams that played hard and coaches who coached to win. We don't have that anymore. The Baylor game was quickly deleted this morning when I saw the score...

I don't mind losing when we are outmatched and coached well. I do mind losing when outcoached... Do your frickin' job!

Snrinhouston
11/8/2013, 05:25 PM
Stoops has managed to get me to lose enthusiasm with the Sooners. I haven't watched a game live in over two years (mostly due to my work schedule, but when home, I don't watch live either). I am tired of the lack of effort or fire from the coaches and players. 1999 and 2000 were teams that played hard and coaches who coached to win. We don't have that anymore. The Baylor game was quickly deleted this morning when I saw the score...

I don't mind losing when we are outmatched and coached well. I do mind losing when outcoached... Do your frickin' job!

Agreed. As I returned from Waco today, I considered what a waste of time and money the trip was. Like most, my free time and entertainment dollars aren't unlimited. Right now, going to OU games is a bad investment. My engagement with a Stoops led team is now limited to television...with a finger on the remote.

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2013, 05:37 PM
...with a finger..........on the remote.

Whew! Didn't know how that finger story was going to end.

SoonerorLater
11/8/2013, 06:16 PM
AGREED. Josh may not be an offensive genius, in fact he may be a poor coordinator. But when you have a QB who throws behind crossing routes, and over the heads of open go routes, there isnt much you can call. If defenses know you cant pass, then you sure cant run.

Fire Bell

Josh recruited both Bell and Knight. Thompson also. Don't recruit QBs that can't pass. If you don't have the players on the field who can perform at a high level it's on the coaching staff.

My follow-up question to Bob would have been..... if the players you have on the field didn't execute then why were they on the field and if they just can't execute why did you recruit them?

kenth68
11/8/2013, 07:13 PM

Fire Bell

The one place to go was up the middle against Baylor. Josh had them going sideways all night long. This co-offensive coordinators is too many cooks spoiling the pot. Hell, let Josh keep the raise he probably got becoming co-coordinator, but move him back to qb coach and let Norvell be sole play caller. Having two people trying to call plays smacks of trying to make everyone feel good PC-ness, instead of winning football games.

edit:

And, it seems to me that Josh too often calls plays that HE could make, not calling plays to the abilities of his players. He's trying to live vicariously, and burning down games in the process.

EatLeadCommie
11/8/2013, 07:26 PM
Bob isn't going anywhere soon, even if we implode and only win one more game this year (which is not at all out of the realm of possibility...with that gameplan we had last night, we won't even beat ISU). I honestly don't think we'll win another NC under Stoops, but as long as he continues to show a willingness to shake things up like he has in the last two offseasons, I'm going to be willing to give him a chance. The problem is I think he waited too long with Brent V and certainly way too long with Patton. Recruiting and coaching was bad under those guys. Brent left the cupboard bare and Mike hasn't done much of anything to fill it back up. Patton created a bunch of soft O-linemen and that can't be undone in a year, particularly with a coach whose experience is in coaching spread offensive linemen. D line recruiting has suffered too and I can only hope that that turns around soon.

In the meantime, we're left with Josh, who should not be calling plays at all. I gave Josh the benefit of the doubt the first few years because it was apparent he wanted to be able to run the ball-- something we haven't been able to do well really since about 2004. Guys like Peterson and Murray could cover up our deficiencies in that area, but we still weren't a power running team. I think Patton still impeded our progress as a running team, but now we're seeing that Josh is just a dufus when it comes to tipping his hat on running plays. Good grief, Baylor didn't have 3 guys on our RBs every time they got the ball because their defense is awesome. They had that because they knew what was coming. Our scheme and plays are very predictable.

Point being that bad coaching creates bad habits that don't just disappear overnight. And the longer you keep around the bad coaches, the harder it is to get rid of those bad habits. And when bad coaches also recruit badly, the challenge is twofold. We are not anywhere close to going back to a NC game, and I don't even think we'll sniff a Big XII championship for at least 3 years. We're going to finish 4th or 5th in the conference this year. That is unforgivable, just as it was two years ago when we did the same thing. If this conference was as good as it was back in the late 90s and early 2000s, we'd be looking at 7th or 8th place.

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2013, 07:38 PM
The one place to go was up the middle against Baylor. Josh had them going sideways all night long...

Sometimes, I swear us fans watch different games. In the game I watched, OU tried to run repeatedly between the tackles with almost no success. The BU linebackers met the OU backs at the LOS almost everytime. Saying the middle was BU's weakness was a myth - at least with our level of blocking. The only smidgen of success we had was getting Finch on the edge a few times and throwing horizontal to the WRs on the edge. But I'm sure I was on a different channel.

SicEmBaylor
11/8/2013, 07:41 PM
Sometimes, I swear us fans watch different games. In the game I watched, OU tried to run repeatedly between the tackles with almost no success. The BU linebackers met the OU backs at the LOS almost everytime. Saying the middle was BU's weakness was a myth - at least with our level of blocking. The only smidgen of success we had was getting Finch on the edge a few times and throwing horizontal to the WRs on the edge. But I'm sure I was on a different channel.
Nope, this is how it looked to me as well.