PDA

View Full Version : Clearly I was wrong

8timechamps
11/7/2013, 11:29 PM
I really thought we had a good shot to beat the Bears tonight, but it wasn't meant to be.

I thought our defense played a decent game, but did not play well enough to win. The offense....I'm lost, which I shouldn't be after 9 games. Are we a running team, and if so, do we want to use our running backs? Are we a passing team? Does Knight have a package of plays, or do we just plug him in when it 'feels right'?

The youth and depth of the defense was a big reason why we didn't play the way we needed to, but I still think they played decent. I just have no idea what it going on with the offense.

Hats off to Baylor, they played well tonight, especially on defense. I hope they win it all.

Oh well, the sun will rise tomorrow, and there will be another game next weekend. Oregon fans are feeling our pain (maybe worse), as they are getting completely owned by Stanford.

I hate when the Sooners lose!

okiedokie
11/7/2013, 11:34 PM
I really thought we had a good shot to beat the Bears tonight, but it wasn't meant to be.

I thought our defense played a decent game, but did not play well enough to win. The offense....I'm lost, which I shouldn't be after 9 games. Are we a running team, and if so, do we want to use our running backs? Are we a passing team? Does Knight have a package of plays, or do we just plug him in when it 'feels right'?

The youth and depth of the defense was a big reason why we didn't play the way we needed to, but I still think they played decent. I just have no idea what it going on with the offense.

Hats off to Baylor, they played well tonight, especially on defense. I hope they win it all.

Oh well, the sun will rise tomorrow, and there will be another game next weekend. Oregon fans are feeling our pain (maybe worse), as they are getting completely owned by Stanford.

Is this the same offense we will see next year? I am afraid so...

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2013, 11:35 PM
Remember back from 1996-1998 wen we would see an offense like this?

Why? Because the coaching staff has no clue what they are doing.

This is the first year where Heupel has called plays without a Landry Jones. A dependable manager on the field and a damn good passer overall.

And this season is proving thy Heupel has no damn clue as to what he is doing!

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2013, 11:38 PM
The defense played well enough to win this game. 3 scoring drives for Baylor of less than 45 yards. Gave up less than 460 yards.

The OU defense got killed by the OU offense. You can't expect to be on the field for almost 41 minutes and be able to hold on as a defense.

8timechamps
Remember back from 1996-1998 wen we would see an offense like this?

Why? Because the coaching staff has no clue what they are doing.

This is the first year where Heupel has called plays without a Landry Jones. A dependable manager on the field and a damn good passer overall.

And this season is proving thy Heupel has no damn clue as to what he is doing!

I admit, I am official off of the Huepel defense team. I've tried to understand, but tonight did it for me. He just doesn't know how to utilize his team. We spent the first two drives using everyone except our running backs to run the ball. Then, we try to beat Baylor on the edge (they are not Kansas). I love the guy, and he'll always be a Sooner, but he is not ready for this role.

thecrimsoncrusader
The defense was great until the Sooner offense failed it. The exact same thing happened in 2009 against Texas Tech. The defense finally said the heck with it. It's time for a new OC and QB. If the head man won't pull the trigger on a new OC, then it's time for a new head coach as well. If we base things on now and the resources at his disposal and not career accomplishments, Bob Stoops is probably about the 3rd best coach in the conference at best, which is pathetic.

8timechamps

It's a scary thought. We truly have no identity.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2013, 11:40 PM
We are trying to be a running team, but when we go against a defense with a pulse it doesn't work. Around 250 total yards against TCU, UT and Baylor and not surprisingly 1-2 in those games. And probably half the yards against BU tonight were after the game had been decided. Things would be vastly different if we had a QB that could make all the throws. Not sure we would have won tonight with a QB like LJ, but it would have been much more competitive. LJ would have shredded the UT defense until they were forced to back off coverage. It's frustrating when we are so used to being able to throw the ball to be in this position. One penalty or 1 running play stopped for no gain and the drive is over. 3rd and long is hopeless.

But having acknowledged OUr offense is not very good, I will also say I'm impressed with Baylors defense. They made it very difficult for us to run and looked better than TCU or UT's defense to me. The big12 will be interesting to see which of UT, BU and OSU emerges, although it'll be a bummer than OU will just be a spectator or spoiler for OSU.

Plexis22
11/7/2013, 11:41 PM
We not only just got beat by BAYLOR we were dominated. Let that sink in for a minute. Baylor!

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2013, 11:42 PM
I hope it isn't the same offense, because that means Stoops decided to keep Heupel.

At this point I'm ready for Heupel to be dismissed from the team. Leave his *** in Waco!

JiminyChristmas
11/7/2013, 11:44 PM

I hate it too. Weird as it sounds, the defense played well enough early on to win. If the offense could have done anything early, this is a different game.

The offense is the really disappointing part. I'm with you, 9 games into the season and it still appears we don't know what we want to be. There really is no reason we could not run on Baylor. They are not very good in my opinion.

As much as I hate to say it, we better hope Texas wins the conference. Can you imagine the laughingstock the Big 12 becomes if Baylor wins it? That would be like Vanderbilt winning the SEC.

At this point, I am not sure Bob will pass Switzer in the win column this year. Will win against Iowa St, but can we win either of the 2 road games left? Not if the offense can't fix their identity problem.

8timechamps
We are trying to be a running team, but when we go against a defense with a pulse it doesn't work. Around 250 total yards against TCU, UT and Baylor and not surprisingly 1-2 in those games. And probably half the yards against BU tonight were after the game had been decided. Things would be vastly different if we had a QB that could make all the throws. Not sure we would have won tonight with a QB like LJ, but it would have been much more competitive. LJ would have shredded the UT defense until they were forced to back off coverage. It's frustrating when we are so used to being able to throw the ball to be in this position. One penalty or 1 running play stopped for no gain and the drive is over. 3rd and long is hopeless.

But having acknowledged OUr offense is not very good, I will also say I'm impressed with Baylors defense. They made it very difficult for us to run and looked better than TCU or UT's defense to me. The big12 will be interesting to see which of UT, BU and OSU emerges, although it'll be a bummer than OU will just be a spectator or spoiler for OSU.

Yeah, hard for me to argue with any of that.

BoulderSooner79
We not only just got beat by BAYLOR we were dominated. Let that sink in for a minute. Baylor!

And if Baylor makes the title game, does it matter what it says on their jersey?

SicEmBaylor
11/7/2013, 11:45 PM
That was one spectacularly hard fought game. That was some good old-fashioned smash mouth football from both sides.

OU's offense is...well...inept. Nonetheless, I can sure tell a difference in OU's defense since Mike came back. Big improvement.

I'm surprised by hell by the defense. I thought they were decent, but I didn't see that coming.

I have no explanation for the offense tonight. A big part of that was OU's great defense, but we also were changing up how quickly we get to the line and snap. I don't know if that's because OU was showing stuff we weren't prepared for or what...but we were soooo freaking slow most of the night. In all honesty, I'm not entirely sure we're quite ready for a NCG...BCS, yes...but probably not the NCG. I expect to lose in Stillwater.

Therealsouthsider
11/7/2013, 11:45 PM
...this is the first Sooner team I've seen in quite a few years who looks completely outmanned in almost every phase of the game, as bad as the Blake teams played there was a crap-load of talent on the roster. The coaching staff appears as lost as the players on the field...I'm perplexed

ss

8timechamps
11/7/2013, 11:47 PM
It makes it harder to swallow because it's Baylor, and we're so used to Baylor being the bottom dweller...but, clearly this isn't the old Baylor. This team is real, and could be anyone. I thought the offense was "real" before this game, and was really only unsure of their defense, but they stepped up tonight. It will be interesting to see how they stack up with better offenses sown the line.

JiminyChristmas
11/7/2013, 11:51 PM
Don't let your eyes fool you on this Baylor team. They are nowhere hear top 5 in the country. Just shows how inept we are on offense right now.

Texas will dominate the LOS and run all night against the Bears. What we should have been able to do as well.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2013, 11:57 PM
Don't let your eyes fool you on this Baylor team. They are nowhere hear top 5 in the country. Just shows how inept we are on offense right now.

Texas will dominate the LOS and run all night against the Bears. What we should have been able to do as well.

I agree the horns will fair better than we did. But why do you say we should have been able to dominate the LOS? Based on what? We tried many times to run inside and couldn't do it. Are you just saying we should have better OL players? I'll vote for that.

Soonerus
11/8/2013, 12:04 AM
OU should have won this game....

BlownGP
11/8/2013, 12:07 AM
The defense played well enough to win this game. 3 scoring drives for Baylor of less than 45 yards. Gave up less than 460 yards.

The OU defense got killed by the OU offense. You can't expect to be on the field for almost 41 minutes and be able to hold on as a defense.

x2

I dont what you hear anything about our defense. They did what they had to do, especially in the 1st half. I'm just shocked how crappy the offense is and I really think the play calling is where it starts.. Just bad.. WTF was knight doing in there? I understand it would be great to use him, but maybe later in the game to get a 1st or down or something. ..

soonergirlNeugene
11/8/2013, 12:11 AM
The defense was great until the Sooner offense failed it. The exact same thing happened in 2009 against Texas Tech. The defense finally said the heck with it. It's time for a new OC and QB. If the head man won't pull the trigger on a new OC, then it's time for a new head coach as well. If we base things on now and the resources at his disposal and not career accomplishments, Bob Stoops is probably about the 3rd best coach in the conference at best, which is pathetic.

lol anyone calling for Stoops' head is either drunk, still burning from the rectum, or has deleted the 90s from their memory banks.

Socrefbek
11/8/2013, 12:15 AM
As a great coach said " It ain't the X's and the O's, its the Jimmys and the Joes". Unfortunately OU has a Blake and a Josh running the offense.

Snrinhouston
11/8/2013, 12:22 AM
The offense is an embarrassment. Embarrassing results. Embarrassing how those results are achieved....offensive lineman wildly dashing on to the field with mere seconds left on the play clock...a false start penalty IMMEDIATELY followed by a delay of game penalty. Shameful.

OU will never play for another National Championship under the current regime. Anyone who thinks otherwise is invited to my next poker game

landrun
11/8/2013, 12:28 AM
lol anyone calling for Stoops' head is either drunk, still burning from the rectum, or has deleted the 90s from their memory banks.

You're wrong.
The implication you're making is that if Stoops were to go we'd have another Blake to deal with.
Did you watch the game tonight? Our O looked like 1998 all over again.

We can replace Stoops and not revisit the 90's. I'm tired of people promoting this absolute untrue idea.
The truth is, we could replace Stoops and quickly IMPROVE this program.

bluedogok
11/8/2013, 12:38 AM
It makes it harder to swallow because it's Baylor, and we're so used to Baylor being the bottom dweller...but, clearly this isn't the old Baylor. This team is real, and could be anyone. I thought the offense was "real" before this game, and was really only unsure of their defense, but they stepped up tonight. It will be interesting to see how they stack up with better offenses sown the line.
People need to get over the fact that Baylor is good, they aren't the Baylor of old. It goes to show what a damn good coach with great recruiting connections can do with an administration and big donors all working towards a common goal. It also shows someone who knows how to recruit and doesn't rely on the recruiting services "star" rankings as the basis of recruiting. Both Stoops and Mack are evidence that Rivals and the like are more often wrong than they are right. Both programs have become stagnant because of their success in the past

Sabanball
11/8/2013, 12:39 AM
I never thought I would say it, but I actually miss seeing Landry Jones playing for you guys. I take back everything I said bad about him! Landry you rocked!

smooth3d
11/8/2013, 12:39 AM
You're wrong.
The implication you're making is that if Stoops were to go we'd have another Blake to deal with.
Did you watch the game tonight? Our O looked like 1998 all over again.

We can replace Stoops and not revisit the 90's. I'm tired of people promoting this absolute untrue idea.
The truth is, we could replace Stoops and quickly IMPROVE this program.

You are a absolute fool with this line of thinking. Yes there needs to be a change in OC. But just like with Landry we don't appreciate what we have until its gone.

SoonerKnight
11/8/2013, 12:41 AM
Agreed about Josh!! Speaking of Kansas I want Mangino to come back! He can coach ! Chuck long even!! No more of this!!!

smooth3d
11/8/2013, 12:41 AM
I agree people are so hung on its "Bayler" Well Bayler is a good *** team. we just do not have the offense to beat them. The Defense did well considering how long they was on the field.

SoonerKnight
11/8/2013, 12:44 AM
Exactly! Sometimes we lose to a better team! Dirty but better!! Stoops is not the problem!! The OC is the problem!! Great QB coach but in over his head!! Needs replacing!!

Snrinhouston
11/8/2013, 12:45 AM
OU should have won this game....

Are you kidding me?

I was at the game. And the level of confusion on offense was amateurish. Lineman madly dashing on to the field with seconds left on the play clock...false starts...then a false start immediately followed by a delay of game...qb falling down untouched on the option...

This is a mediocre team and was done by halftime.

If you really think it should have won, I'd love for you to sit in on our next poker game

SicEmBaylor
11/8/2013, 12:50 AM
Are you kidding me?

I was at the game. And the level of confusion on offense was amateurish. Lineman madly dashing on to the field with seconds left on the play clock...false starts...then a false start immediately followed by a delay of game...qb falling down untouched on the option...

This is a mediocre team and was done by halftime.

If you really think it should have won, I'd love for you to sit in on our next poker game
That's just Rus being Rus. He's incapable of getting another team any credit especially us.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/8/2013, 12:53 AM
8x,

The defense got gashed in the spots that I said were weak. What Baylor did after the first several series was exploit personnel and honestly scheme with the pick plays.

Our problem on offense is that Josh doesn't understand that because Team A does something, it doesn't necessarily mean that YOU can do the same thing. Their entire game plan was to run the QB and grind the clock like KState. The problem is that our offensive line lets way too many people run free into the backfield to make this work. We'd gotten away with it up to this point because our fullbacks are EXCELLENT. They basically saved the day by picking up leakers and giving lanes. That wasn't present today and they were slicing 2-3 guys UNTOUCHED into the backfield on every play because our 5 OL can only block 3 guys. Once we got away from the "game plan" and started hurling the ball on deep crossing routes we started moving the ball. That is why I said it was game plan fail which is 100% on the shoulders of the OC.

Now, why is our OL so bad? Well, you don't have to look any farther than our DL. They rarely, outside of Tapper, get penetration. Basically, everyone runs away from him and its easy pickings. Heck, they didn't even bother blocking Ndulae and just ran around him. We have some talent, but no depth and we are still 2 years away from fixing how bad the coaching staff let it get on the lines.

JohnS
11/8/2013, 01:27 AM

Hahahaha, I like your train of thought!

If you are just another "nobody" that Baylor has curb stomped and Baylor isn't legit...

How bad is it to smell that bad?

SOONER44EVER
11/8/2013, 01:32 AM
That was one spectacularly hard fought game. That was some good old-fashioned smash mouth football from both sides.

OU's offense is...well...inept. Nonetheless, I can sure tell a difference in OU's defense since Mike came back. Big improvement.

I'm surprised by hell by the defense. I thought they were decent, but I didn't see that coming.

I have no explanation for the offense tonight. A big part of that was OU's great defense, but we also were changing up how quickly we get to the line and snap. I don't know if that's because OU was showing stuff we weren't prepared for or what...but we were soooo freaking slow most of the night. In all honesty, I'm not entirely sure we're quite ready for a NCG...BCS, yes...but probably not the NCG. I expect to lose in Stillwater.
You are giving OU too much credit. Baylor kicked our *** in every aspect of the game. OU's players are soft and Baylor's are badasses. I never thought I'd say that!

SOONER44EVER
11/8/2013, 01:36 AM
As a great coach said " It ain't the X's and the O's, its the Jimmys and the Joes". Unfortunately OU has a Blake and a Josh running the offense.
Yeah..............cuz no other coach could take an OU team and stay within 29 points of Baylor right?

SOONER44EVER
11/8/2013, 01:38 AM
Exactly! Sometimes we lose to a better team! Dirty but better!! Stoops is not the problem!! The OC is the problem!! Great QB coach but in over his head!! Needs replacing!!Why is it never Stoops fault? He does less with more than any coach in the country with the exception of Mack.

EatLeadCommie
11/8/2013, 02:03 AM

UT is gonna get blasted by them too

olevetonahill
11/8/2013, 02:10 AM

Did we see the SAME Offense from the 1st 1/2 in the 2nd 1/2 ?Unless Bob wakes up we are ****ed.!

SicEmBaylor
11/8/2013, 02:16 AM
I absolutely will not gloat, but I am just going to leave this here without comment:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5525/10735833023_faeb2e198a_o.gif

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2013, 02:17 AM
UT is gonna get blasted by them too

I hope so, but not so sure about that. UT will at least move the ball on offense.

5noubus
11/8/2013, 07:22 AM

This^
You can't expect guys to rest up during a 3 and out and hold those guys off all night.
Such a rough game.
I know bell isn't great but I do feel like if someone would freaking block once in awhile we might could move the ball

Sooner70
11/8/2013, 07:31 AM
That was a worse butt whuppin than the Texas game. In flipping back to the Stanford game (during commericals), I'm a believer that the only way you can win in the modern era of wide open offenses is have a powerful ground game (to keep the opposing offense off the field), which OU does not, and a credible defense (which OU had for a while in this one). Only 87 yds rushing. That has to be fixed if a team plans to stay on the field with competition like Baylor, TX etc.

Socrefbek
11/8/2013, 08:00 AM
I absolutely will not gloat, but I am just going to leave this here without comment:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5525/10735833023_faeb2e198a_o.gif

So basically you are pointing out OU got beat by a school with a student section full of homos.

UteSooner
11/8/2013, 09:15 AM
I was wrong as well. I thought we'd be able to run the ball but the coaches are lost without Millard. Did we spend the entire week running zone read plays instead of our normal plays with the other fullbacks and tight ends?

Stoops HAS to be willing to make OC changes. It's clear Josh doesn't know what he's doing. He can stay as QB coach or go learn to be an OC somewhere else.

oudanny
11/8/2013, 09:29 AM
Congrats to Baylor. The better team won but Baylor should never beat OU by 29 points. The offense is a total embarassment. We had so many breaks in the first half and still couldn't muster a pulse. The defense played well enough until they were worn down.

Temujin
11/8/2013, 11:29 AM

This.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/8/2013, 11:33 AM
I was wrong too..I had predicted yesterday morning that it would resemble the OSU game from 2011 when Everyone was talking about how OSU's defense wasn't that good and people kept talking about how to stop their offense..

I predicted that we would score 10, and we ended up with 12..I was wrong.