PDA

View Full Version : Pick Routes

FaninAma
11/7/2013, 10:18 PM
Every 3rd grade flag football team runs them so it amazes me that officiating crews are too stupid to see them and call the penalty.

landrun
11/7/2013, 10:20 PM
They see them. It's just part of the game and you have to figure out how to defend them instead of whining about them like the Stoops boyzzzz do. :05.18-flustered:

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2013, 10:26 PM
Pick plays are not allowed. And three big pass plays they all resulted because of pick plays.

It was justified!

Okie35
11/7/2013, 10:26 PM
They see them. It's just part of the game and you have to figure out how to defend them instead of whining about them like the Stoops boyzzzz do. :05.18-flustered:

You're joking right... they can't be defended when you're blocking a defender that's supposed to covering a certain receiver in man... WE RUN MAN COVERAGE... and they've been doing it since the 1st quarter

FaninAma
11/7/2013, 10:27 PM
Hey dragon breath, you are either ignorant of the rules or just taking cheap shots at the coaches. Baylor doesn't even try to disguise the picks.

HolaKyle
11/8/2013, 08:31 AM
For some reason certain rules are enforced more than others. Another example in the game was the "Bush Push" that gave them a touchdown. By rule, a penalty should have been called.

I hate to say it, but we need to start taking advantage of these things. It feels like we don't exploit the grey areas of things enough when it comes to play on the field.

landrun
11/8/2013, 08:47 AM
For some reason certain rules are enforced more than others. Another example in the game was the "Bush Push" that gave them a touchdown. By rule, a penalty should have been called.

I hate to say it, but we need to start taking advantage of these things. It feels like we don't exploit the grey areas of things enough when it comes to play on the field.

HolaKyle is the only one who get's it!
(btw, HolaKyle, thank you for your weekly updates!! :) )

Pick routs are exactly like the Oline pushing in the back. It is technically illegal but happens in every single game.
Yes. OU does it too.

So, stop whining about it. It makes you look like a child. But when you're desperate and have no answer, I guess it is what you have to resort to. http://www.soonerfans.com/images/icons/bob.gif

Soonerjeepman
11/8/2013, 09:12 AM
ah...my question on these, again, I coached HS basketball not football so I'm probably wrong...

but just like bball in man/man coverage SOMETIMES it's a good idea to "switch". After seeing the play stoops was pizzed about I thought, why didn't the outside def just take the inside receiver after the pick, he saw it coming...to me that is where the def needed to communicate (if it was happening all night) and say hey we'll switch. I know it isn't as easy as that, but at least there might have been a defender withing 5 yrds of the guys....

yes/no..I'm crazier than a pet coon?

Zin
11/8/2013, 09:15 AM
I thought they got rid of the pushing rule this year?

Jason White's Third Knee
11/8/2013, 09:18 AM

Pick routs are exactly like the Oline pushing in the back. It is technically illegal but happens in every single game.
Yes. OU does it too.

So, stop whining about it. It makes you look like a child. But when you're desperate and have no answer, I guess it is what you have to resort to. http://www.soonerfans.com/images/icons/bob.gif

So, which rules should the teams follow?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/8/2013, 11:05 AM
ah...my question on these, again, I coached HS basketball not football so I'm probably wrong...

but just like bball in man/man coverage SOMETIMES it's a good idea to "switch". After seeing the play stoops was pizzed about I thought, why didn't the outside def just take the inside receiver after the pick, he saw it coming...to me that is where the def needed to communicate (if it was happening all night) and say hey we'll switch. I know it isn't as easy as that, but at least there might have been a defender withing 5 yrds of the guys....

yes/no..I'm crazier than a pet coon?

Switching is done more in the pros than college. The problem is that you basically can dictate your WR - Defender matchup by picking off the best corner and keeping him on the low route. The bigger issue was that we had a safety over the top who didn't help the picked corner (which is why you have a safety over the top).

FaninAma
11/8/2013, 12:39 PM

Yes. OU does it too.

I understand it happens all the time that's why I said that 3rd grade flag football teams run pick plays as part of their offense. The difference is that it should be called when its blatant like what Baylor was doing. Those were obvious picks and deserved to get flagged. If you can't even be sneaky about it you deserve to get flagged like they did. They stopped running them after the flag so that seems to indicate they knew what they were doing and were going to keep doing it until they were called.

picasso
11/8/2013, 12:56 PM
You can't fault the coaches for remindung the refs that it's illegal.
I agree with the opinion that we should have dine it more ourselves.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/8/2013, 01:02 PM
You can't fault the coaches for remindung the refs that it's illegal.
I agree with the opinion that we should have dine it more ourselves.

Picks are a man to man thing. Most of the night Baylor was in a zone.

Okie35
11/8/2013, 01:09 PM

Thank you! I've mentioned this before. I've also said (as a joke) maybe we should start being a dirty program (like other elite ones) and let people play regardless of what they do off the field.