PDA

View Full Version : Play Calling Will Be Key IMHO

PalmBeachSooner
11/7/2013, 03:56 PM
I wonder how many WTF's Josh has in store for us tonight. I'm more worried about that than our D vs. their O, although that's a legitimate concern.

badger
11/7/2013, 03:58 PM
I wonder how many WTF's Josh has in store for us tonight. I'm more worried about that than our D vs. their O, although that's a legitimate concern.

He's going to steal the "five moves of doom" moniker (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=five%20moves%20of%20doom), isn't he? All five are not Blake Bell running plays :(

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2013, 04:05 PM
If I were to believe everything posted here, OU would be undefeated every season with the right play calling. The truth is, sometimes the other team is holding a stronger hand of cards and no matter how we play our weaker hand, we may lose. Not saying that's what will happen tonight, but I will predict no one will admit it if it does.

badger
11/7/2013, 04:17 PM
If I were to believe everything posted here, OU would be undefeated every season with the right play calling.

We wouldn't??? No actually I'm asking for real.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/7/2013, 04:20 PM
If I were to believe everything posted here, OU would be undefeated every season with the right play calling. The truth is, sometimes the other team is holding a stronger hand of cards and no matter how we play our weaker hand, we may lose. Not saying that's what will happen tonight, but I will predict no one will admit it if it does.

Exactly..Sometimes, the other team is just better and the reason the play calling isn't working is because the other team is better..

I'll be honest, I have no clue what to think about Baylor, but I think it goes way beyond playcalling if it's a route.

Breadburner
11/7/2013, 04:24 PM
No turnovers and execute....!!!!

rock on sooner
11/7/2013, 04:27 PM
I don't this type of hunch very often...but, I got a feelin' something
good happens early on in the game...from the D...Striker or Tapper
sack and fumble or a Sanchez pick 6...whatever it is, the tone is set
and the upset is on!!!!

SicEmBaylor
11/7/2013, 04:28 PM
If it comes down to play calling then you guys truly are f'n screwed.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2013, 04:51 PM
We wouldn't??? No actually I'm asking for real.

Just IMO, but if the other team is winning the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, there is no play calling sequence that wins. That's an extreme example, but that's exactly what happened in Jan '05 in a game of which I will speak. There are certainly other games over the years where we have lost to better teams, but the difference wasn't as great.

Breadburner
11/7/2013, 04:52 PM
Winnie the Pooh U.....

NorthernIowaSooner
11/7/2013, 05:56 PM
If it comes down to play calling then you guys truly are f'n screwed.

I would agree with this. Possessions can't be wasted tonight with goofy play calling and not going after weaknesses in the Baylor defense.

Mjcpr
11/7/2013, 06:11 PM
I hope we have somebody in charge of reminding us that some type of onside kick might be on the way.

SoonerorLater
11/7/2013, 06:11 PM
As much as I hate to say it, it might be the offense that has to win the game for us tonight.

Zin
11/7/2013, 06:42 PM
No turnovers and execute....!!!!

Pretty much this. You can call the perfect game, but if you don't execute, well you are going to have a bad time.

WA. Sooner
11/7/2013, 06:42 PM
Josh breaks out the inside draw shovel pass

Sooner Eclipse
11/7/2013, 11:48 PM
I've tried not to be critical of Josh, but i can't hold my tongue any longer. For a few plays they put knight in, but never on 3rd down until we were down on the goal line. When he comes in, they put him in a 5 wide, empty backfield set. The whole ****ing stadium knows he's not gonna pass. WTF is that????? Is he gonna run zone read to himself???? That was ****ing stupid.

8timechamps
11/7/2013, 11:52 PM
I've tried not to be critical of Josh, but i can't hold my tongue any longer. For a few plays they put knight in, but never on 3rd down until we were down on the goal line. When he comes in, they put him in a 5 wide, empty backfield set. The whole ****ing stadium knows he's not gonna pass. WTF is that????? Is he gonna run zone read to himself???? That was ****ing stupid.

I'm with you. I've defended him, and I don't think he's done as bad in most games (as some folks here), but tonight....I have no answers. The empty backfield play boggled my mind. There was plenty more, but that one does stick out to me.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2013, 11:54 PM
Play calling is a big part of any game, but certainly did not decide this one. The offense is pretty limited when the only play that's working is horizontal passing to the sidelines for 4-5 yards. If you want to blame the coaches for putting together a poor offensive team either because of talent or not effectively matching approach to the talent on hand, I'm with you. This is not a very good offense and no magical play calling is going to make it one.

Sooner Eclipse
11/8/2013, 12:17 AM
Play calling is a big part of any game, but certainly did not decide this one. The offense is pretty limited when the only play that's working is horizontal passing to the sidelines for 4-5 yards. If you want to blame the coaches for putting together a poor offensive team either because of talent or not effectively matching approach to the talent on hand, I'm with you. This is not a very good offense and no magical play calling is going to make it one.

I didn't go into this game with much hope, and you're right, play calling was not the reason for the loss. But it contributed to it. And that play was the perfect example of why. Just venting about all the wasted opportunities in this game.

aurorasooner
11/8/2013, 12:20 AM
I've tried not to be critical of Josh, but i can't hold my tongue any longer. For a few plays they put knight in, but never on 3rd down until we were down on the goal line. When he comes in, they put him in a 5 wide, empty backfield set. The whole ****ing stadium knows he's not gonna pass. WTF is that????? Is he gonna run zone read to himself???? That was ****ing stupid.agree, that was stupid as cheet. I just thought wth we're going to give TK an another attempt to go over the top for a wide open TD.
When it was immediate QB run, and not something like a delayed QB draw off a fake pass, I just knew it was going to get stuffed. I keep hearing from the coaches that all these QBs can throw the ball, they've seen in practice, yadda yadda yadda, but hell they don't even have any faith all our QBs can do it with stupid play design like that.

donago
11/8/2013, 12:27 AM
Playcalling didn't matter!! It wasn't the X's and the O's, it was the "Jimmys and the Joes"!!! With this bunch it didn't matter what was called, it wasn't going to work!!! Until we get better players, we are in for more of these!!! I don't fault the coaches for poor game plans, I fault them for poor recruiting!!! Having inferior talent to BAYLOR!!! should be a hanging offense!!

ashley
11/8/2013, 08:41 AM
Exactly..Sometimes, the other team is just better and the reason the play calling isn't working is because the other team is better..

I'll be honest, I have no clue what to think about Baylor, but I think it goes way beyond playcalling if it's a route.

Your right and I can't see why people can't see this. People that say it's play calling have never tried to call plays with a bad QB.

PalmBeachSooner
11/8/2013, 02:22 PM
Playcalling didn't matter!! It wasn't the X's and the O's, it was the "Jimmys and the Joes"!!! With this bunch it didn't matter what was called, it wasn't going to work!!! Until we get better players, we are in for more of these!!! I don't fault the coaches for poor game plans, I fault them for poor recruiting!!! Having inferior talent to BAYLOR!!! should be a hanging offense!!

It's hard to believe Baylor and OSU have better talent than OU.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/8/2013, 05:20 PM
On my scout paperwork from last night, I had 6 guys for Baylor that will be drafted..For OU, I had 2..Now I do have 2 that are fringe, but not likely..

That's just from an NFL talent perspective.

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2013, 05:32 PM
On my scout paperwork from last night, I had 6 guys for Baylor that will be drafted..For OU, I had 2..Now I do have 2 that are fringe, but not likely..

That's just from an NFL talent perspective.

Now you're making me cry.

SicEmBaylor
11/8/2013, 05:34 PM
It's hard to believe Baylor and OSU have better talent than OU.
nm