PDA

View Full Version : Northwestern Blood on American Flag uniforms

BermudaSooner
11/6/2013, 04:37 PM
http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/05/northwestern-universitys-special-football-uniforms-has-some-seeing-red/?hpt=hp_c3

Pretty cool, I think, and I generally don't like the crazy unis. Although, I can see where some would be a little disturbed that unis to raise money for wounded warriors look like they have streaks of blood.

8timechamps
11/6/2013, 04:39 PM
I typically don't care for those kind of uniforms. I just never thought anyone did a good job with them. This one got my attention, and not in a good way. It looks like there's blood running down the flag stripes. That's pretty ****ty if that's what they intended.

olevetonahill
11/6/2013, 04:41 PM
Wounded Warriors generally did SHED blood.

8timechamps
11/6/2013, 04:43 PM
Wounded Warriors generally did SHED blood.

Of course they did, but is that an appropriate thing to display on a college football uniform? I think most people (even non-vets) realize that wounded soldiers bled somewhere, I guess I find it tacky to have that on a uniform.

olevetonahill
11/6/2013, 04:55 PM
Of course they did, but is that an appropriate thing to display on a college football uniform? I think most people (even non-vets) realize that wounded soldiers bled somewhere, I guess I find it tacky to have that on a uniform.

I really dont have a strong opinion either way. if it helps raise money I dont see the harm.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2013, 04:58 PM
I really dont have a strong opinion either way. if it helps raise money I dont see the harm.

So it was written, so shall it be done. (I'll defer to a real Vet)

olevetonahill
11/6/2013, 05:01 PM
So it was written, so shall it be done. (I'll defer to a real Vet)

Hell, Bro we Have a LOT of REAL vets on this board, I just used the name 1st I think.

8timechamps
11/6/2013, 05:03 PM

I wouldn't say I have a strong opinion about it either, just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I do applaud UA for working with the WWP, anytime they can raise awareness and get money, I'm all for it.

olevetonahill
11/6/2013, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't say I have a strong opinion about it either, just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I do applaud UA for working with the WWP, anytime they can raise awareness and get money, I'm all for it.

Yea It may not be in the best taste but I dont think there was Intention that wasnt good.

sooner46
11/6/2013, 06:45 PM
I am a Vet, and my opinion is it is not appropriate thing to display the American Flag in that manner, cutting up the Flag or using it as clothing is wrong. The complete Flag on a shirt is ok.

Scott D
11/6/2013, 06:47 PM
I don't think it's blood, did those people not notice you see the same "streaks" of blue through the white of the stars?

8timechamps
11/6/2013, 06:50 PM
I don't think it's blood, did those people not notice you see the same "streaks" of blue through the white of the stars?

I did notice that, but it still looks like blood to me. That's why I said "that's pretty ****ty if that was their intention".

I think a lot of people think it looks like blood, so even if that is not the intention, that's the perception.

8timechamps
11/6/2013, 06:52 PM
I am a Vet, and my opinion is it is not appropriate thing to display the American Flag in that manner, cutting up the Flag or using it as clothing is wrong. The complete Flag on a shirt is ok.

I have felt the same way, but it's become so prevalent, I've given up hope on it going away. I think it's used as a tribute, so I don't believe there is any ill will intended, it just isn't right in my book.

Scott D
11/6/2013, 06:54 PM
Even in the article it stresses that the idea was to recreate the look of a flag that has been flying for a very very long time giving it a slightly weathered look.

cleller
11/6/2013, 06:56 PM
Don't like it a bit. The college uniform crap is just dumb right now to begin with. There is no reason to exploit the flag and tailor fit it to you uniform to generate "buzz" on twitter or instagram. You want the flag? Fine put a patch on the sleeve. Don't adulterate it, and monkey around for fashion sake.

olevetonahill

I have felt the same way, but it's become so prevalent, I've given up hope on it going away. I think it's used as a tribute, so I don't believe there is any ill will intended, it just isn't right in my book.

Much as it Pains me to see the Flag disrespected. We must remember Until it IS outlawed it is one of the freedoms we fought to Protect.

8timechamps
Even in the article it stresses that the idea was to recreate the look of a flag that has been flying for a very very long time giving it a slightly weathered look.

pffft. I don't trouble myself with cumbersome facts. I'm too much of a risk taker to do stuff like read.

Scott D
11/6/2013, 07:02 PM
pffft. I don't trouble myself with cumbersome facts. I'm too much of a risk taker to do stuff like read.

heh

DrZaius
11/6/2013, 07:24 PM
I don't think it is bad at all, WWP is worth the free press. I like it. Besides lots of people don't even take the time to even fly it at their home. Many of those who do don't even take the time to respect the flag by following the rules so to each his own. I have always found it kinda funny that a lot of those people who are argue about flags not being treated correctly care so much that they don't even own one.

olevetonahill
11/6/2013, 07:42 PM
I don't think it is bad at all, WWP is worth the free press. I like it. Besides lots of people don't even take the time to even fly it at their home. Many of those who do don't even take the time to respect the flag by following the rules so to each his own. I have always found it kinda funny that a lot of those people who are argue about flags not being treated correctly care so much that they don't even own one.

I have 4
One I fly Proudly, One that was on my Dads Casket, One that was flown over Afghanistan in an AWACs plane, the Other was Flown in Iraq From an M-1A2 Main Battle Tank.

I think I got yer Respect and Treatment of Well covered my friend

sooner46
11/6/2013, 07:53 PM
I understand that is what we fought for but that does not mean I have to like it. yes, I own a couple of Flags. Can you image that it is against the rules to fly it where I live. My neighbor just put one up, I am going wait a little bit to see if they make him take his down if they don't my is going up.

ouwasp
11/6/2013, 08:43 PM
Hey, we're pretty much in the day-n-age of "Anything Goes"... kinda goes against the other popular national pastime of "I'm Offended!"

It is what it is.........all the new wave college unis suck azz, that's what it is...

8timechamps
11/6/2013, 08:50 PM
I have 4
One I fly Proudly, One that was on my Dads Casket, One that was flown over Afghanistan in an AWACs plane, the Other was Flown in Iraq From an M-1A2 Main Battle Tank.

I think I got yer Respect and Treatment of Well covered my friend

Yep, I own 4

The first flag we flew at out FOB in Kuwait. The first flag I actually purchased after I returned. A flag that was given to my by a family friend (that covered their grandfather's casket). And one that has flown outside my home for the past 2 years.

limey_sooner
11/7/2013, 06:39 AM
Are the red streaks really supposed to represent blood? I mean they do the same thing with blue on this uniform.

Sooner in Tampa
11/7/2013, 08:31 AM
I don't have a problem with the uniforms...it is doing exactly what it is inteded to do...bring attention the Wounded Warrior Project

These Warriors deserve every bit of attention and if this is what is required in this ADD society that we live...so be it.

Ton Loc
11/7/2013, 08:52 AM
I don't have an opinion about the uniforms. I'm more pissed that only 10% of the proceeds go to the WWP. That's the ****tiest thing about the whole deal.

badger
11/7/2013, 09:13 AM
when i first saw the unis, i didn't look at the gloves and think "that's blood omg"

i really thought wow that's a hell of of a lot of red white and blue and flag-ness :eek:

olevetonahill
11/7/2013, 09:35 AM
Are the red streaks really supposed to represent blood? I mean they do the same thing with blue on this uniform.

No, If ya read the artcle its supposed to represent a Flag that has been thru the weather, IE seen the Storm.

badger
11/7/2013, 09:44 AM
I don't have an opinion about the uniforms. I'm more pissed that only 10% of the proceeds go to the WWP. That's the ****tiest thing about the whole deal.

Yeah, it's like the NFL only giving a fraction of their pinkie uniforms to cancer research/groups. :mad:

SouthFortySooner
11/7/2013, 09:46 AM
Not all come home wounded having shed blood. My little 'snuggle bunny' son, (which makes this personal), was fixed in a bunker as a medic underneath a mortar tube, for months on a hillside in ganistan. There was a warning signal sent before firing the thing, but, he didn't always hear it in time while asleep. Consequently he now has significant hearing deficit.

I know this doesn't compare to the horribleness of some, but to have my 27 year old son saying 'huh' to me all the time now is disheartening.

I jump in here only to add how full of pride I am of our flag, wounded warriors and my second son who is presently in boot camp in Benning, GA. God bless'em!

olevetonahill
11/7/2013, 09:48 AM
Not all come home wounded having shed blood. My little 'snuggle bunny' son, (which makes this personal), was fixed in a bunker as a medic underneath a mortar tube, for months on a hillside in ganistan. There was a warning signal sent before firing the thing, but, he didn't always hear it in time while asleep. Consequently he now has significant hearing deficit.

I know this doesn't compare to the horribleness of some, but to have my 27 year old son saying 'huh' to me all the time now is disheartening.

I jump in here only to add how full of pride I am of our flag, wounded warriors and my second son who is presently in boot camp in Benning, GA. God bless'em!

God Bless yer Boys bro. Tell em I'll be praying fer em.

Ruf/Nek7
11/7/2013, 10:42 AM
Those UNIs are pretty slick. I have no issue with them at all. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Scott D
11/8/2013, 07:29 PM

10% of the sales of REPLICA jerseys go to the WWP, 100% of the proceeds from the actual game uniforms go to the WWP.

olevetonahill
11/8/2013, 08:00 PM
10% of the sales of REPLICA jerseys go to the WWP, 100% of the proceeds from the actual game uniforms go to the WWP.

http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/yes.gif

Rogue
11/9/2013, 04:32 PM
I like 'em.