PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma and UCLA schedule home-and-home series

Sooner in Tampa
11/6/2013, 11:26 AM
Very Nice addition to the future schedule

On Wednesday Oklahoma (http://www.soonerfans.com/collegefootball/teams/page/OKLA/oklahoma-sooners) and UCLA (http://www.soonerfans.com/collegefootball/teams/page/UCLA/ucla-bruins) announced a home-and-home series that will take place in 2018 and 2019. The first game will be played in Norman on September 8, 2018 with the Sooners making the return trip to Pasadena on September 14, 2019.

“We're delighted to again add UCLA's tradition-rich program to our schedule,” said Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione in a release. “Together, we can showcase two great schools in the kind of intersectional matchup that is so good for college sports. And now our longstanding philosophy of scheduling marquee non-conference opponents becomes even more important with the College Football Playoff beginning in 2014.

“We will continue to schedule games of this kind because they benefit our program competitively and because we believe this approach is best for the sport and our tremendous fan base.”
Oklahoma and UCLA have met four times before, with the Sooners holding a 3-1 lead in the series. The last meeting came in 2005 with UCLA beating Oklahoma 41-24 in Pasadena.
Oklahoma also announced that its scheduled series with LSU that was originally scheduled to take place in 2018 and 2019 is currently in the process of being rescheduled.

Ruf/Nek7
11/6/2013, 11:28 AM
#BRINGBACKPERKINS

odontia
11/6/2013, 01:33 PM
I hope that in the negotiations we insisted that the visiting team is able to bring their own conference's refs.

MichiganSooner
11/6/2013, 01:42 PM
#BRINGBACKPERKINS

But not Bomar.

MichiganSooner
11/6/2013, 01:43 PM
I hope that in the negotiations we insisted that the visiting team is able to bring their own conference's refs.

^^^^^

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2013, 01:48 PM
I wonder who the head coaches will be 5 and 6 seasons from now.

jkjsooner
11/6/2013, 01:59 PM
But not Bomar.

You stole my thought. Those fumbled snaps were tough.

Perkins 3.5 returns for TD's were nice. (I give him .5 for the one called back for holding.)

Mac94
11/6/2013, 02:01 PM
Any ideas on the fate of the OU-LSU contract? Been looking forward to that one.

Boomer.....
11/6/2013, 02:14 PM
Any ideas on the fate of the OU-LSU contract? Been looking forward to that one.

Me too. It sounds like it is still in the works, but they are going to have to find new years to do it.

TheUnnamedSooner
11/6/2013, 02:47 PM
So much for us not scheduling that conference anymore

UteSooner
11/6/2013, 03:37 PM
Darn. Feels like we just played them. So many teams I'd rather us play. What about USC? We owe those bastards.

By the time we play LSU I'm gonna be an old man. 40+ maybe!

Mac94
11/6/2013, 03:39 PM
By the time we play LSU I'm gonna be an old man. 40+ maybe!

LOL ... considering I'm almost 45 ... hope the series happens before I'm having to gum my food.

Salt City Sooner
11/6/2013, 03:46 PM
You'll be able to knock me over with a feather if that's not the case. After the Oregon fiasco, Stoops point blank said that they wouldn't schedule any more Pac-10/12 teams unless they rescended that policy. That off-season, the Pac voted to keep it, so somebody's backed off their stance.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2013, 03:57 PM
You'll be able to knock me over with a feather if that's not the case. After the Oregon fiasco, Stoops point blank said that they wouldn't schedule any more Pac-10/12 teams unless they rescended that policy. That off-season, the Pac voted to keep it, so somebody's backed off their stance.

Or you can infer:
1) Stoops doesn't have complete say on scheduling.
or
2) These games come after that circled day on Stoops' calendar reading "retired"

TheUnnamedSooner
11/6/2013, 04:00 PM
Or you can infer:
1) Stoops doesn't have complete say on scheduling.
or
2) These games come after that circled day on Stoops' calendar reading "retired"

I'm pretty sure it was Boren that said that.

olevetonahill
11/6/2013, 04:05 PM
#BRINGBACKPERKINS

My 1st thot also.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2013, 04:37 PM
I'm pretty sure it was Boren that said that.

or
3) Stoops never said that, Boren did.

8timechamps
11/6/2013, 04:46 PM
Is there any reason why we would't play both LSU and UCLA in the same seasons? I just assumed this was in addition to the LSU games. Seems like maybe we're trying to help ourselves with the onset of the playoff.

Salt City Sooner
11/6/2013, 05:06 PM
or
Stoops did say it, it was in the presser the week after. He also said that Boren & Joe were in complete agreement. He also said that the reason they went ahead w/ the completion of the Washington set was that UW had nothing to do with what went on in Eugene, & that they (OU) had already hosted UW the week before & it wouldn't be fair to UW to reneg on them for something that again, they had nothing to do with.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2013, 05:54 PM
Is there any reason why we would't play both LSU and UCLA in the same seasons? I just assumed this was in addition to the LSU games. Seems like maybe we're trying to help ourselves with the onset of the playoff.

It will be interesting how the playoffs impact things, but I doubt ADs will be rushing out to schedule 2 high profile OOC opponents. It could happen if the committee puts much less emphasis on that squeaky clean W/L record than the current system.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2013, 05:56 PM
or

Stoops did say it, it was in the presser the week after. He also said that Boren & Joe were in complete agreement. He also said that the reason they went ahead w/ the completion of the Washington set was that UW had nothing to do with what went on in Eugene, & that they (OU) had already hosted UW the week before & it wouldn't be fair to UW to reneg on them for something that again, they had nothing to do with.

or
4) people say a lot of things when they are mad that may not be practical in the long run.

Ruf/Nek7
11/7/2013, 10:43 AM
But don't bring back MJD.

yermom
11/8/2013, 04:46 PM
he killed his grandpa in that game...

that game was brutal to watch. one of the worst i have been to.

Sabanball
11/9/2013, 05:46 PM
The sec is going to a 9 game conference schedule, that more than likely is the reason for the change with the h/h with LSU.