PDA

View Full Version : 5 star RB Joe Mixon

8timechamps
11/5/2013, 09:01 PM
For those that haven't followed recruiting much this year, Joe Mixon is a name to know. The 5 star back out of Oakley California has recently completed his five official visits, and is still looking to take more (unofficial). His 5 visits were to Wisconsin, Florida State, California, Washington and Oklahoma. Mixon was in Norman for the TCU game, and came away very impressed.

While he hasn't officially announced his top 3, it's widely known that the finalist are OU, Wisconsin and Florida State. Until last weekend, Florida State hadn't been mentioned much, but Mixon took an official visit for the FSU/Miami game and came away with FSU as one of the favorites.

Right now, Oklahoma is in a very good position with Mixon (a HUGE Adrian Peterson fan). After he returned from Tallahassee, he said he wanted to take a few more unofficial visits to Arizona State, UCLA and "get back to Oklahoma again".

ASU and UCLA make sense, since both offered Mixon and he didn't use an official visit on them, but to return to OU would mean the Sooners could be in the driver's seat for him. As it stands now, I think it's between OU and Wisconsin, but a second visit this season would make me feel more comfortable.

As loaded as we seem to be at RB, Mixon is the kind of kid that would come in and contribute immediately.

Ruf/Nek7
11/6/2013, 11:17 AM
I think it is also worth note that Adoree Jackson visited FSU with Mixon and came away very impressed. I am not trying to rain on your parade but things like this worry me. OU really could use some good news. I hate lingering around 14 commits. Notice i only specified # and not quality as i feel we have some quality commitments thus far. Even our 2 * guys like Windham.

8timechamps
11/6/2013, 03:01 PM
I think it is also worth note that Adoree Jackson visited FSU with Mixon and came away very impressed. I am not trying to rain on your parade but things like this worry me. OU really could use some good news. I hate lingering around 14 commits. Notice i only specified # and not quality as i feel we have some quality commitments thus far. Even our 2 * guys like Windham.

I was a little concerned when Mixon first announced he was taking the trip to FSU, but then I think more about it and I think he went for two big reasons: 1)It was a big game, and why not go if you can? 2)FSU is the "sexy" team at the moment.

In reality, Mixon probably won't go across country for a chance to play with Winston, considering Winston may, or may not be there by the time he starts. I think he was a little pumped up after his visit, but I just don't think the Seminoles will be there in the end.

If he does come back to Norman, I'd say he's locked (as much as a recruit can be). In fact, I think he's already locked, but wants to see everyone that he can.

He's going to announce during the Army All American game, so I'll definitely be watching.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2013, 07:44 PM
As loaded as we seem to be at RB, Mixon is the kind of kid that would come in and contribute immediately.

Loaded now, but Clay, Williams and Finch are seniors.

Ford and Ross are done because of a fumble and penalty respectively. :cocksure:

8timechamps
11/6/2013, 08:47 PM

Ford, Ross & Perine (incoming) are already going to be a nice group, Mixon would probably move to the top of that list. Assuming we don't lose them all to fumble issues. :)

NorthernIowaSooner
12/23/2013, 12:08 PM
MIXON PUTS OU IN TOP THREE

Five-star running back prospect Joe Mixon announced his top three college choices Saturday on Twitter, saying he'll choose early next month between Oklahoma, Wisconsin and UCLA.

Mixon, from Freedom High School in Oakley, Calif., holds offers from dozens of major programs around the country. He visited Oklahoma in early October for its victory over TCU.

The 6-foot-2, 207-pound Mixon is ranked by Rivals as the best running back prospect in the nation for the recruiting class of 2014, and the ninth-best overall prospect.

Mixon will announce his college choice during the 2014 U.S. Army All-American Bowl, scheduled for Jan. 4 in San Antonio.

OU already has a 2014 commitment from running back Samaje Perine, a four-star prospect from Pflugerville, Texas.

We're in his top 3, so that's good.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/23/2013, 02:12 PM
Take the following for what you will:

There have been 4 draft eligible 5* running backs from California since 2006. 3 committed to USC and 1 committed to Colorado. None of them have been drafted (which is abnormal). Humorously, the only 5* prospect to be drafted from California as a running back was projected at linebacker out of high school (allen bradford).

2 were kicked off the USC team (3 if you count 2010 5* dillon baxter who is at baker university)

okiewaker
12/23/2013, 02:44 PM
I'd love for is to land him. 8 time, I may have missed the thread on o-linemen. Any good news on that front?

8timechamps
12/23/2013, 02:53 PM
Take the following for what you will:

There have been 4 draft eligible 5* running backs from California since 2006. 3 committed to USC and 1 committed to Colorado. None of them have been drafted (which is abnormal). Humorously, the only 5* prospect to be drafted from California as a running back was projected at linebacker out of high school (allen bradford).

2 were kicked off the USC team (3 if you count 2010 5* dillon baxter who is at baker university)

Brennan Clay was a 5 star on Rivals. Ironically, he was in the same class as the two USC guys that are not in D1 now.

8timechamps
12/23/2013, 02:55 PM
I'd love for is to land him. 8 time, I may have missed the thread on o-linemen. Any good news on that front?

Looks like we could be done with the O-line this year (with Alvarez and Dalton being the only two commits). There is still an outside chance at Pruitt (he's committed to Arkansas), and Kenyon Frison (uncommitted), but it appears Bedenbaugh is closing the book on 2014 and focusing on 2015 (which should be a huge class).

We'll see, a lot can happen between now and national signing day.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/23/2013, 04:39 PM
Brennan Clay was a 5 star on Rivals. Ironically, he was in the same class as the two USC guys that are not in D1 now.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-Brennan-Clay-79089;_ylt=AgWxkwDFO7bYOH8IUVanHMKWtJB4

Looks like he ended up about #53 in the nation though his rating puts him at 78. Geez they are inconsistent.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/23/2013, 04:47 PM
CA running backs taken in the last 3 years
Round 1 - Doug Martin - Boise State 2*
Round 2 - Shane Vereen - Cal 4*
Round 3 - Ronnie Hillman - SD State 3*
Round 4 - Roy Helu 3*, Taiwan Jones 0*, J Franklin 4*, Robert Turbin 2*
Round 5 - Stepfan Taylor 4*
Round 6 - Allen Bradford 5*, Kenjon Barner 3*

8timechamps
12/23/2013, 11:24 PM
CA running backs taken in the last 3 years
Round 1 - Doug Martin - Boise State 2*
Round 2 - Shane Vereen - Cal 4*
Round 3 - Ronnie Hillman - SD State 3*
Round 4 - Roy Helu 3*, Taiwan Jones 0*, J Franklin 4*, Robert Turbin 2*
Round 5 - Stepfan Taylor 4*
Round 6 - Allen Bradford 5*, Kenjon Barner 3*

Interesting.

I wonder where the hot spot is (which state/region) for RBs over the past 5 years? I may have to do a project to learn that info, maybe for all the skill positions.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/24/2013, 03:12 PM
Interesting.

I wonder where the hot spot is (which state/region) for RBs over the past 5 years? I may have to do a project to learn that info, maybe for all the skill positions.

Remember the generalities that I got from Rivals -> "Your team sucks, thus your players must suck" (a little of this bleeds to the draft from a political standpoint) and "Your state doesn't have the quality of players that the big 3 do" and "the big 3 are biased in order of FL then TX then CA". What you see in the draft is intersection of these 3 philosophies.
HS Only
From numbers -> FL (12), CA/TX (10), OH (5), VA (3)
From round -> VA (3), CA (3.9), OH (4), FL (4.67), TX (4.8) -> Avg Round almost always favors CA
From stars -> VA (3.67), FL (3.58), TX (3.5), OH (3.4), CA (3)

Early Entrants -> FL(5), VA (2), OH (2), MI (2), CA/TX (1) - Please note that both MI kids drafted left early. I wouldn't touch a florida running back with a 10 foot pole. They leave early regardless of draft position.

Note SC with Marcus Lattimore skews them up and down they had 4.5 stars and avg round of 5.

Eielson
12/24/2013, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't mind a 5-star RB. We've had some success there. It's the WR's that end up being the jerk-offs.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/24/2013, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't mind a 5-star RB. We've had some success there. It's the WR's that end up being the jerk-offs.

Aren't we 1 for 3 with an early entrant?

shytnik
12/28/2013, 03:42 PM

No way are these two done for a couple of fumbles as Freshman. Ford is going to be a beast. If we don't get Mixon we'll be fine with these two, Perine and Nathan Starks is waiting in the wings if we don't land Mixon. I doubt he switches but Bo Scarbough is now saying he will visit OU. But I really would like to get Mixon.

Looks like we could be done with the O-line this year (with Alvarez and Dalton being the only two commits). There is still an outside chance at Pruitt (he's committed to Arkansas), and Kenyon Frison (uncommitted), but it appears Bedenbaugh is closing the book on 2014 and focusing on 2015 (which should be a huge class).

We'll see, a lot can happen between now and national signing day.

Maybe, but I don't think we are done. There is a lot of offers out to OT's and we need a few badly. I think they will get two more OL. I think they we Frison. Nick Gates is still possible and an outside chance we convert McNeil from Lousiville. If all fall through I think they take a commitment from JUCO Patrick Au.

8timechamps
12/30/2013, 08:15 PM
No way are these two done for a couple of fumbles as Freshman. Ford is going to be a beast. If we don't get Mixon we'll be fine with these two, Perine and Nathan Starks is waiting in the wings if we don't land Mixon. I doubt he switches but Bo Scarbough is now saying he will visit OU. But I really would like to get Mixon.

Maybe, but I don't think we are done. There is a lot of offers out to OT's and we need a few badly. I think they will get two more OL. I think they we Frison. Nick Gates is still possible and an outside chance we convert McNeil from Lousiville. If all fall through I think they take a commitment from JUCO Patrick Au.

Boulder79's comment about Ross and Ford being done was a joke. Since you're new, I thought I'd shed some light on that (and how he posts).

Anyway, I heard today that things are heating up for OG Natrell Curtis. So, there's a possibility. There's no way to know what's left, but I just don't see many quality O-linemen that are within reach at this point (other than the ones previously noted). I agree, we need OTs.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/30/2013, 10:10 PM
Boulder79's comment about Ross and Ford being done was a joke. Since you're new, I thought I'd shed some light on that (and how he posts).

Anyway, I heard today that things are heating up for OG Natrell Curtis. So, there's a possibility. There's no way to know what's left, but I just don't see many quality O-linemen that are within reach at this point (other than the ones previously noted). I agree, we need OTs.

Define "Quality". As has been proven, OL is one of the areas that the recruiting services miss pretty badly. There are good low rated OL out there, we just have to find them.

Eielson
12/30/2013, 11:20 PM
Aren't we 1 for 3 with an early entrant?

Yeah, I think we've had Peterson, Calhoun, and Williams, so it's really not that great. Peterson made up for the other two, though. Williams would have been good for us.

8timechamps
12/30/2013, 11:55 PM
Define "Quality". As has been proven, OL is one of the areas that the recruiting services miss pretty badly. There are good low rated OL out there, we just have to find them.

That's the question. I guess I mean guys that can realistically become part of the rotation within a year. Those are few and far between.

I completely agree with you though, OL is probably the toughest of all positions to evaluate. Sadly, I think there are some kids in state that could be pretty solid players, but will probably be missed by OU (and others).

shytnik
1/1/2014, 06:21 PM

Thanks I will try and keep that in mind about Boulder79's style. Looking at Curtis' interviews at the AA game I think we have a real shot at him as well. I agree there isn't a ton of highly rated guys out there, but we need some big bodies. That is why I was thinking we might take commits from some lesser guys if we miss on our main targets. I am still optimistic about Frison and continue to hope.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2014, 08:40 PM
Thanks I will try and keep that in mind about Boulder79's style. Looking at Curtis' interviews at the AA game I think we have a real shot at him as well. I agree there isn't a ton of highly rated guys out there, but we need some big bodies. That is why I was thinking we might take commits from some lesser guys if we miss on our main targets. I am still optimistic about Frison and continue to hope.

Stop warning the rookies! :offended:

8timechamps
1/1/2014, 09:17 PM

Surprisingly, I think Curtis is a legitimate commit for the Sooners (I thought that shipped had sailed). In fact, I think Williams and Mixon will commit Saturday, and as usual, this class will close out really strong.

FWIW, Boulder79 is one of the good guys on the board (although, he has his moments :) ). Welcome aboard!

KantoSooner
1/3/2014, 12:40 PM
Welp, Bob and the boys certainly did their part. Who do we think might have been convinced last night?

8timechamps
1/3/2014, 04:57 PM
Welp, Bob and the boys certainly did their part. Who do we think might have been convinced last night?

I think this win locked in the following:

LB - Williams
RB - Mixon
DB/WR - Quick
OL - Russell
LB - Thomas

If, for some reason, Mixon goes to UCLA, then I think Nathan Starks jumps in and commits.

Okie35
1/4/2014, 03:44 PM
Got him.

vtsooner21
1/4/2014, 03:45 PM
WOOHOO!!! A Sooner!!!

Boomer

BigJerm7
1/4/2014, 03:52 PM
Voted MVP of the Army All-American bowl. He said the way OU played in the Sugar Bowl had a big impact on his decision.

SoonerorLater
1/4/2014, 04:27 PM
Wait a minute. What are we doing recruiting 5* players?

jdg
1/4/2014, 04:32 PM
“Once they won the Alabama game, that sealed the deal. Let’s get it,” Mixon said according to Tulsa World.

8timechamps
1/4/2014, 06:35 PM
Not surprised by the Mixon commit. I WAS surprised by Williams committing to UCLA. I'm sure Kish and Stoops will stay after him until signing day, but still a great day for recruiting.

Having Mixon/Ford in the same backfield should be explosive.

okiewaker
1/4/2014, 07:25 PM
I'm excited about Mixon. Thot he might go to UCLA, but glad he's a Sooner!

rock on sooner
1/4/2014, 09:40 PM
Up until Mixon all the kids were staying close to home...all the
ND commits, the Cali commits, tOSU commits, etc.

8timechamps
1/4/2014, 09:58 PM
Up until Mixon all the kids were staying close to home...all the
ND commits, the Cali commits, tOSU commits, etc.

What's interesting is that is not abnormal. Why it's interesting is that Oklahoma is the only school, not located in a 'deep talent' state, that consistently lands good recruiting classes. Ohio State has Ohio, Alabama has Alabama, The Florida School have Florida, and the same for the Texas/Cali schools. OU is the only school that consistently pulls quality out of state talent. Other schools do it (look at the rosters of OSU, KSU and similar schools), but not at the same level.

The Sooners have a pipeline to Texas and California like no other schools outside of those states. Nebraska used to have a similar set up, but the lackluster years and the move to the Big 10 has dried those up.

Curly Bill
1/4/2014, 10:44 PM
I'm thrilled we landed him, but won't this upset some of the folks on here who are convinced we should hang our hats on those undervalued, but scrappy 2 & 3-star recruits? ;)

picasso
1/4/2014, 11:09 PM
I'm thrilled we landed him, but won't this upset some of the folks on here who are convinced we should hang our hats on those undervalued, but scrappy 2 & 3-star recruits? ;)

That or shut up the 5 star wankers.

8timechamps
1/5/2014, 07:34 PM
Sadly, it will probably do neither.

westbrooke
1/6/2014, 04:10 PM
I love reading stuff like this: (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-five-star-running-back-recruit-joe-mixon-could-make-a-quick-impact-with-sooners/article/3921021/?page=2)

Mixon is already working on recruiting other big-time prospects to Norman. He told SoonerScoop.com “we're going to get (Michiah) Quick and I'm going to work on KD Cannon.”

I'm sure lots of players try to recruit others to their chosen school, and we've certainly heard of other OU commits doing it, but I love hearing them be public ambassadors nonetheless.

8timechamps
1/6/2014, 04:38 PM
I love reading stuff like this: (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-five-star-running-back-recruit-joe-mixon-could-make-a-quick-impact-with-sooners/article/3921021/?page=2)

I'm sure lots of players try to recruit others to their chosen school, and we've certainly heard of other OU commits doing it, but I love hearing them be public ambassadors nonetheless.

Cannon will be interesting to follow. He was very, VERY close to committing to OU at one point, so I'm sure there's still interest there.

There are also a few 2015 guys that are starting to talk OU on Twitter (specifically to Mixon). The win over Bama may not pay huge dividends this year, but it will really show with the 2015 class.

8timechamps
1/6/2014, 08:15 PM
Interesting note...

2015 4 star DE Kahlil McKenzie tweeted (to Joe Mixon) (paraphrase) "I may be playing with you soon!"

As of right now, McKenzie doesn't have a Sooner offer, but Montgomery has talked with him. Once the 2014 class is finalized, the offers will increase for the 2015 class.

cburgsooner
1/6/2014, 09:20 PM
there is a lot of talk from him that a bunch of 2015 recruits are going to commit to a school real soon for they can win a Natty together.

8timechamps
1/6/2014, 10:35 PM
there is a lot of talk from him that a bunch of 2015 recruits are going to commit to a school real soon for they can win a Natty together.

That would be really nice. You never know, it could happen.