PDA

View Full Version : Coach Switzer 157 Wins; Stoops 156

MichiganSooner
11/4/2013, 03:35 PM
Have not seen anything on this. Coach Stoops had 149 wins heading into 2013 season. Heading to Baylor with 156 wins, one behind The King.

EatLeadCommie
11/4/2013, 03:54 PM
Might be stuck on 156 for a while.

BoulderSooner79
11/4/2013, 03:59 PM
The Cyclones are comin' to town! ;)

Switzer doesn't come across as a big Stoops fan. I suspect the #157 has something to do with it. High achievers do have egos.

Mjcpr
11/4/2013, 04:56 PM
Coach Switzer 3 NC's, Stoops 1

/thread

WA. Sooner
11/4/2013, 05:21 PM
What are the losses for each?

8timechamps
11/4/2013, 05:23 PM

/thread

Coach Switzer 1 Program on probation

Stoops 0

/discussion

Mjcpr
11/4/2013, 05:34 PM
Coach Switzer 1 Program on probation

Stoops 0

/discussion

We haven't been on probation under Stoops?

/think again

8timechamps
11/4/2013, 05:42 PM

/think again

Really? So it's comparable then.

I guess I should have said "Program crippling probation".

picasso
11/4/2013, 05:53 PM

/think again
Please.

I love the Swtitz but those were different times.

Mjcpr
11/4/2013, 05:59 PM
Really? So it's comparable then.

I guess I should have said "Program crippling probation".

When was it crippled? Gibbs had decent years but couldn't beat the teams he should have been beating in the conference. Maybe you can attribute that to probation or maybe you can attribute it to his inability to recruit/coach/whatever but the program wasn't cripped until they hired two idiots and that wasn't the fault of Switzer's probation.

Just relax. I don't mind if you think Bob's record is superior and you shouldn't mind if I think Switzer's was because of the NC's.

Mjcpr
11/4/2013, 06:02 PM
Please.

I love the Swtitz but those were different times.

I wasn't really arguing that the times were different, just that 3 NC's > 1 and we've been on probation under each which for some reason angered the man. Yes, I realize the probation at the end of Switzer's tenture was more severe, I was here for it, but that isn't what he originally said.

olevetonahill
11/4/2013, 06:07 PM
What are the losses for each?

Bob is at 156 Ws 38 Ls
King at 157 Ws 29Ls and 4 Ts

BoulderSooner79
11/4/2013, 06:25 PM
I wasn't really arguing that the times were different, just that 3 NC's > 1 and we've been on probation under each which for some reason angered the man. Yes, I realize the probation at the end of Switzer's tenture was more severe, I was here for it, but that isn't what he originally said.

Times were different even if you just count NCs. With conference tie-ins to the bowls back then, rarely did the MNC #1 have to beat #2 for the crown.
'74 - no bowl opponent
'75 - Michigan was not #2 or big10 champ. (Back-door when tOSU and aTm lost other bowls)
'85 - Very close to BCS type matchup. (similar to our 2000 FSU win)
'87 - Very close to BCS type matchup (similar to our '03 and '08 losses)

NC's look great when the year gets placed on the stadium, but just saying 3 NCs > 1 is too simplistic in this case. I'd still take Switzer, but Bob didn't get a shot at any of those back-door chances.

8timechamps
11/4/2013, 07:46 PM
When was it crippled? Gibbs had decent years but couldn't beat the teams he should have been beating in the conference. Maybe you can attribute that to probation or maybe you can attribute it to his inability to recruit/coach/whatever but the program wasn't cripped until they hired two idiots and that wasn't the fault of Switzer's probation.

Just relax. I don't mind if you think Bob's record is superior and you shouldn't mind if I think Switzer's was because of the NC's.

If you really think the things that went on under Switzer are comparable to anything that has transpired under Stoops, then there's no point in discussing this further. As for the program, you can view it however you'd like, but the fall of it started with the probation.

I think you're confusing me with someone else, I can't think of the last time I was on here that I wasn't "relaxed".

Switzer's record is superior to Bob's, but to act like they are the same is foolish.

Jacie
11/4/2013, 08:45 PM
Since we are comparing apples to oranges, here is a stat that is not as close as it looks.

Winning percentage:

Switzer: 83.7%

Stoops: 80.4%

And let's throw this one in, bowl games (which up to now are quite comparable):

Switzer: 8-5

Stoops: 7-7

Note that in 16 seasons, Switzer's teams did not go bowling three times, twice because of being on probation (73 & 74) and once by choice (The Sooners 1983 season-ending game was @Hawaii and they elected to let that be OUr bowl game. This was when NCAA rules allowed a 12th regular-season game in what were otherwise 11-game seasons, only if a team played in the Kickoff Classic or traveled to Hawaii. One could argue that this raises Switzer's bowl record to 9-5). With the plethora of bowl games today as opposed to 1983 to not go to a game now would be unimaginable.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/5/2013, 03:28 AM

Just relax. I don't mind if you think Bob's record is superior and you shouldn't mind if I think Switzer's was because of the NC's.I think the Gibbs years hurt us a lot, although not as bad as Schmelly/Blake. In 6 years, Gibbs beat tx once, and he NEVER beat the Colorado Buffs, nor the nebbishes. He shoulda been gone after 3 or certainly after 4 years.

We should have bolted to the Pac 16 when we had a chance. Now, we have to contend with an amped-up aTm, as well as Briles and his success, and T-Boone's deep pockets.

sooneron
11/5/2013, 11:06 AM
Bob is at 156 Ws 38 Ls
King at 157 Ws 29Ls and 4 Ts

http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/barry-switzer-drunk.jpg

sooneron
11/5/2013, 11:08 AM
... but Bob didn't get a shot at any of those back-door chances.
2003 USC begs to differ...

jkjsooner
11/5/2013, 11:26 AM
. In 6 years, Gibbs beat tx once, and he NEVER beat the Colorado Buffs, nor the nebbishes.

No disagreeing with your sentiment on Gibbs but we pounded Nebraska 45-10 in 1990. That was the game their QB got the big gash in his leg on our bench.

BoulderSooner79
11/5/2013, 11:38 AM
2003 USC begs to differ...

They can beg all they want; LSU was BCS #2. It wasn't like we went to the Orange bowl and played Va tech. Switzer also had backdoor shots at Washington and Arkansas and came up short. I personally doubt OU would have been voted #1 in those years, but there were valid arguments for it.

My point is that had we been on the old (pre-BCS) system during the Stoops years, we probably have more NC banners to hang. We would have played lesser teams in '03,'04 and '08 and if we won them, we have a good shot at finishing #1 in the popularity contests that the polls are. That whole #1 vs #2 thing has been a blessing and a curse for OU.

11/5/2013, 11:40 AM
No disagreeing with your sentiment on Gibbs but we pounded Nebraska 45-10 in 1990. That was the game their QB got the big gash in his leg on our bench.I did not remember Gibbs ever beating the nebbishes.

sooneron
11/5/2013, 11:43 AM
No disagreeing with your sentiment on Gibbs but we pounded Nebraska 45-10 in 1990. That was the game their QB got the big gash in his leg on our bench.

We also lost to ISU that year...

The issue following Barry wasn't just the probation, but the "reputation" of the program. It had a major black eye and quite a few prospects wanted no part of it. So yes, Barry's later transgressions were very detrimental to OU.

Soonerjeepman
11/5/2013, 01:20 PM
I talked to an Olineman that played for Gibbs/Schelly/Blake. He said this about the 3:

Gibbs: didn't care what you did if the team won TRY and stay out of trouble (so much for "cleaning up the program")

Schelly: worked your a$$ off...he actually liked him the best...weird

Blake: his favorite saying was "What is done in the dark shall be brought to the light" supposedly a religious deal, but meant he had his snitches...definitely his favorites. He listed several guys that were continually invited to his house but not anyone else. Actually thought he treated the AA players better.

Again, everyone's perspective is just that...their perspective..but some interesting thoughts.

picasso
11/5/2013, 01:27 PM
I did not remember Gibbs ever beating the nebbishes.
Oh yes. Thanks to Mike McKinley and Mike Coats.

picasso
11/5/2013, 01:28 PM
We also lost to ISU that year...

The issue following Barry wasn't just the probation, but the "reputation" of the program. It had a major black eye and quite a few prospects wanted no part of it. So yes, Barry's later transgressions were very detrimental to OU.
Let's not forget he highly recommended that train wreck John Blake.

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2013, 01:38 PM
Though I love what Switzer accomplished. Very different era and different scholarship limitations.

Switzer didn't have to deal with just 85 scholarships over 4 years. Stoops does.

I would say in the era of more parity in CFB, Stoops has done just as impressive job as Switzer.

olevetonahill
11/5/2013, 01:38 PM
I did not remember Gibbs ever beating the nebbishes.

From Sooner Stats

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?SeasonID=1990#.Unk64ydMqd8

11/5/2013, 02:16 PM
Hey, I believe it now, already. Thanks Gary and the team. 1-5 isn't too different than 2-9. For the latter, I thank Bud Wilkinson/Jimmy Harris and Bob Stoops/Blake Bell. FWIW

olevetonahill
11/5/2013, 02:20 PM
Hey, I believe it now, already. Thanks Gary and the team. 1-5 isn't too different than 2-9. For the latter, I thank Bud Wilkinson/Jimmy Harris and Bob Stoops/Blake Bell. FWIW

OU Football and the 90s are Kinda like the 60s and the Age of Aquarius Just a sorta Blur

11/5/2013, 02:27 PM
OU Football and the 90s are Kinda like the 60s and the Age of Aquarius Just a sorta Blurno shiite, amigo!
like, "way to go, Gary, you beat the nebbish...once...outa 6"

Soonerjeepman
11/5/2013, 04:22 PM
my cousin was an equipment kid in the 90's...he gave me a helmet and the '94 (I think) Holiday Bowl jersey he got for a wedding gift...best thing ever! use to drive the old Ryder moving truck with the giant OU fathead sticker...lol drove it to Florida one year...what a DRAG!

8timechamps
11/5/2013, 04:37 PM
Oh yes. Thanks to Mike McKinley and Mike Coats.

Hey now, easy on big Mike.

I honestly don't remember much about that year, but I grew up with Mike and was so excited when he signed with OU. Sadly, it was not a great time to be a player.

landrun
11/5/2013, 08:30 PM
Sorry. Bob Stoops is no Barry Switzer. It's not even close.

And neither of them are a Bud Wilkinson!

Wilkinson went undefeated in conference 11 out of 17 years.
Switzer went undefeated 8 out of 16
Stoops has went undefeated in conference only 3 times in 15 years - in spite of all those Big XII championships.

Stoops has a worse bowl record of them all.
Stoops has a worse winning percentage of them all.
Stoops D had given more average points per season of them all.
It goes on and on....

Though Jim Tatum was here only one year, it can be argued that he's the third best coach OU ever had winning a national championship at Maryland after he left OU. And his winning percentage there is better than Big Bad Bob's is right now.

Stoops ain't all that...

Just my opinion. ... but it is right! :wink:

8timechamps
11/5/2013, 08:36 PM

Stoops has went undefeated in conference only 3 times in 15 years - in spite of all those Big XII championships.

It goes on and on....

Though Jim Tatum was here only one year, it can be argued that he's the third best coach OU ever had winning a national championship at Maryland after he left OU. And his winning percentage there is better than Big Bad Bob's is right now.

Stoops ain't all that...

There is really no comparison you can accurately make between any of them. College football was a different animal by the time Switzer took over, and again a different game by the time Stoops took over.

We can compare winning percentages, bowl wins, national titles, etc., but in the end, there's no way to know what any of them would have done in the other's era. I'm just happy we've had all of 'em.

OkieThunderLion
11/5/2013, 08:50 PM

/thread

Switzer 1 perfect season (but didn't play in a bowl)

Stoops 1 perfect season

OkieThunderLion
11/5/2013, 08:52 PM
Winning percentage:
Switzer: 83.7%
Stoops: 80.4%

I think the 80% is every bit as impressive, in today's era.

OkieThunderLion
11/5/2013, 08:55 PM

It goes on and on....

Stoops ain't all that...

Pure effing comedy, right here!

OkieThunderLion
11/5/2013, 08:58 PM

Nevermind the fact that Switzer lost to Texas in 3 of those 8 "undefeated" seasons.

MichiganSooner
11/6/2013, 12:24 AM

It goes on and on....

Stoops ain't all that...

It isn't right. I don't know the conference when Bud coached but with Barry, the Big 8 does not compare with the Big 12 with 12 teams. Nebraska was the only consistently good team in the Big 8 besides OU. With the Big 12, there was Nebbish, Texas, and OU and winning a 12 team conference title with a championship game between division champs is a formidable feat. Bowls-Stoops played either the nations #1 or #2 team in 4 bowls; neither of the other 2 coaches had to do that. Stoops has 85 scholarships; the same number as every other D1 team including Tulsa, Central Michigan and Bowling Green. Bama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Texas, OU, and a handful of other teams used to stock their rosters with huge numbers of great players. In the Stoops era, everybody gets 85.

SoonerorLater
11/6/2013, 10:52 AM
It isn't right. I don't know the conference when Bud coached but with Barry, the Big 8 does not compare with the Big 12 with 12 teams. Nebraska was the only consistently good team in the Big 8 besides OU. With the Big 12, there was Nebbish, Texas, and OU and winning a 12 team conference title with a championship game between division champs is a formidable feat. Bowls-Stoops played either the nations #1 or #2 team in 4 bowls; neither of the other 2 coaches had to do that. Stoops has 85 scholarships; the same number as every other D1 team including Tulsa, Central Michigan and Bowling Green. Bama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Texas, OU, and a handful of other teams used to stock their rosters with huge numbers of great players. In the Stoops era, everybody gets 85.

There is a difference. Beyond all of the stats you just named OU was unquestionably the best college football team of the 1950's. Under Switzer it was a little closer call but most people that follow this would say OU was the best college football team of the 1970's. When both of these coache's teams took the field it wasn't if they were going to win but by how much. Going into a big game I don't have that same feeling with the Bob Stoops coached teams. I feel they can win or they should win but the confidence level just isn't there like it was with Bud and Barry.

Yes things are different in college football but great coaches of every era figure out a way to not only win but dominate with what is in front of them at the time. The current landscape of college football hasn't stopped Nick Saban so he proves it can be done.

donago
11/7/2013, 06:42 PM
I'll take Switzer. Better recruiter, better players, tougher teams. No a__ rapings like NC game against USC !!! Even when we lost we were in the game. Now we fold like a cheap tent at the first sign of adversity

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2013, 06:52 PM
I'll take Switzer. Better recruiter, better players, tougher teams. No a__ rapings like NC game against USC !!! Even when we lost we were in the game. Now we fold like a cheap tent at the first sign of adversity

You didn't sit in the Orange bowl in Jan '78. Holtz didn't even offer Switzer a reach around.

Therealsouthsider
11/8/2013, 12:03 AM
...Switzer, 3 NCs...Stoops will not win another

...game, set, match

ss

Socrefbek
11/8/2013, 12:11 AM
Stoops is the second coming of Spurrier. OU needs someone that is less concerned with work life balance and more obsessed with being a football coach.