PDA

View Full Version : looking ahead to Iowa State...

yermom
11/4/2013, 01:00 PM
any ideas on kickoff times?

what contingencies are there? aren't the times for next week usually set by now?

where do you guys normally find that info?

this REALLY needs to be an early game :D

badger
11/4/2013, 01:02 PM
what contingencies are there? aren't the times for next week usually set by now?

I understand them holding out. Will this be a potential spoiler of a potential Big 12 champion at its final home game on Senior Day, or just an above average Big 12 team hosting a completely mediocre zero-win Big 12 team?

If it's the former, we're looking at not-11. If it's the latter, 11 a.m. :(

olevetonahill
11/4/2013, 01:23 PM
Prolly wont know til Friday at the earliest and Sat, Maybe .

badger
11/4/2013, 01:32 PM
They have TCU right before us, and don't get Kansas till after us, so it is highly likely that they will be a 1-win (Tulsa)/0-win (Big 12) team when we meet.

We really need to win Thursday, or the coaches will make players pay for the loss in extendo-week mode :(

cvsooner
11/4/2013, 01:43 PM
Looks like potential times are: 11:00 am, 2:30 pm, 3:00 pm, and 6:00 pm.

The game will be on Fox, or Fox Sports 1.

That's as narrow as it's going to get until next weekend, apparently.

OkieThunderLion
11/5/2013, 09:02 PM
It was chosen for 6-day window. So it will be announced Sunday, at the latest. Maybe Saturday.

8timechamps
11/5/2013, 09:04 PM
The delay in scheduling has nothing to do with OU and/or ISU, it's all about the other games slated for the PAC/Big XII. I suspect they'll try to make it the early game if they can, but are holding out until they see how things play out Saturday.

yermom
11/5/2013, 10:24 PM
It was chosen for 6-day window. So it will be announced Sunday, at the latest. Maybe Saturday.

where do you find that stuff?

yermom
11/5/2013, 10:26 PM
The delay in scheduling has nothing to do with OU and/or ISU, it's all about the other games slated for the PAC/Big XII. I suspect they'll try to make it the early game if they can, but are holding out until they see how things play out Saturday.

not 6:00 PM means i can make Pearl Jam. i don't care how much Eddie hates OKC :D

SOONER44EVER
11/6/2013, 12:46 AM
Any time but 11:30. I like my beer for lunch or dinner, not breakfast.

8timechamps
11/6/2013, 03:21 PM
not 6:00 PM means i can make Pearl Jam. i don't care how much Eddie hates OKC :D

Can't imagine a much better day: OU game in the morning, PJ concert that evening. Well, maybe Metallica, but I'd gladly see Mookie Blaylock in their place.

yermom
11/6/2013, 08:21 PM
Air Force + The Pixies a few years ago was pretty awesome

i was really sweating that kickoff time as well

yermom
11/10/2013, 12:21 PM
well, at least something appears to have gone right this weekend:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/05/07/2013-ncaa-college-football-tv-schedule/2141449/

Iowa State at Oklahoma, Fox Sports 1, noon

that's 11AM to those of us in flyover country

olevetonahill
11/10/2013, 01:36 PM
well, at least something appears to have gone right this weekend:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/05/07/2013-ncaa-college-football-tv-schedule/2141449/

that's 11AM to those of us in flyover country

Time is Ok, But Im already sick of FS1 .

yermom
11/10/2013, 05:35 PM
i never liked the Fox coverage. i haven't seen anything on FS1 that i know of though

flysooner9
11/10/2013, 05:37 PM
Time sucks. Means no tailgating. Atmosphere will be nonexistent coming off a loss and a boring opponent combined with the early kick.

olevetonahill
11/10/2013, 05:41 PM
i never liked the Fox coverage. i haven't seen anything on FS1 that i know of though

Get a chance check out the replay. That Dopealotofus er what the **** ever his name is sounded Like he was heqdin fer the Gay Bar at 1/2 time. Voice was more irritating than Howard Cosell's !

yermom
11/10/2013, 06:00 PM
Time sucks. Means no tailgating. Atmosphere will be nonexistent coming off a loss and a boring opponent combined with the early kick.

99% of the time, i'd agree

HToady
11/10/2013, 06:54 PM

TV (especially Fox) has ruined college football.

Games at TCU at 11:00 in early September are brutal. Why can't cooler parts of the country have the early season 11:00 games like WVU and ISU?

Saturday is Dad's Day at OU. I've got to be on the road at 6am to make this game and see my son. However, it does leave me more time afterwards.

But the biggest issue to me is, you make a big stop, get a fumble or interception. Perfect time for a quick strike? Not anymore. You have to sit for 5 minutes for the TV commercials!

Who are we catering to these days? Certainly not the fans that pay $80+ per seat to go to the game.

tooslow
11/10/2013, 09:10 PM

FS1 needs a revamp, and quick. The coverage is flat out terrible. The after game report was even worse, and reminded me of something similar to a Wayne's World segment. It could have easily been telecasted straight from someone's basement. I honestly thought it was a commercial or joke at first.

bluedogok
11/10/2013, 10:40 PM
Who are we catering to these days? Certainly not the fans that pay $80+ per seat to go to the game.
That's not where the money is....TV money rules. Still better than the days of 2 games a year on TV.

olevetonahill
11/10/2013, 10:51 PM
That's not where the money is....TV money rules. Still better than the days of 2 games a year on TV.

Yup.

8timechamps
11/10/2013, 10:51 PM
TV (especially Fox) has ruined college football.

Games at TCU at 11:00 in early September are brutal. Why can't cooler parts of the country have the early season 11:00 games like WVU and ISU?

Saturday is Dad's Day at OU. I've got to be on the road at 6am to make this game and see my son. However, it does leave me more time afterwards.

But the biggest issue to me is, you make a big stop, get a fumble or interception. Perfect time for a quick strike? Not anymore. You have to sit for 5 minutes for the TV commercials!

TV has given us the best and worst of sports in general. I don't live in Oklahoma now, and I am able to see the Sooners play just about every weekend, the downside is that TV bring commercials, which as you mentioned, can kill a drive (and adds many more plain old inconveniences to the fans in the stands).

Sadly, the days of catering to the fans in the stadium are long gone. I always talk about the Super Bowl as a prime example. Twenty years ago, if your favorite team made the big game, there would be a large contingent of that team's fans at the game. It's no longer like like. After the corporate sponsors and big money/high profile celebrities, that leaves very little for the fans. And if you can't or don't want to put up the big money require, you're not going to the game. Unfortunately, I'm afraid the upcoming college football playoffs will be very similar.

olevetonahill
11/10/2013, 11:10 PM
TV has given us the best and worst of sports in general. I don't live in Oklahoma now, and I am able to see the Sooners play just about every weekend, the downside is that TV bring commercials, which as you mentioned, can kill a drive (and adds many more plain old inconveniences to the fans in the stands).

Sadly, the days of catering to the fans in the stadium are long gone. I always talk about the Super Bowl as a prime example. Twenty years ago, if your favorite team made the big game, there would be a large contingent of that team's fans at the game. It's no longer like like. After the corporate sponsors and big money/high profile celebrities, that leaves very little for the fans. And if you can't or don't want to put up the big money require, you're not going to the game. Unfortunately, I'm afraid the upcoming college football playoffs will be very similar.

You pretty dayum smart fer a college boy. Money runs this thing now I remember back in I think 84 I had to work out of state. I think i got to watch maybe 2 games on TeeVee There was NO radio to speak of, I did drive once to a small mountain and found one game on a staticky AM station that faded in an out. For the rest I had to read the Late Dailye Oklahoman that I subscribed to thru the Mail.

Yea I aint gonna bitch too much about the Teevee situation at all. Im even glad to pony up the 30 /40 bucks for the Pay Per view,

Pricetag
11/10/2013, 11:16 PM
Get a chance check out the replay. That Dopealotofus er what the **** ever his name is sounded Like he was heqdin fer the Gay Bar at 1/2 time. Voice was more irritating than Howard Cosell's !
He sounded like Kevin from "The Office." By the second half, I was glad to have him. It at least gave me something to chuckle about.

The camera angle was brutal, too. It was like watching basketball at OSU.

bluedogok
11/10/2013, 11:26 PM
I thought so as well, strange angle.

olevetonahill
11/10/2013, 11:49 PM
He sounded like Kevin from "The Office." By the second half, I was glad to have him. It at least gave me something to chuckle about.

By the second 1/2 I had Muted the Tee Vee I just couldnt take any more of that nasal sound.

birddog
11/11/2013, 12:42 AM
petros papadakis sucks big time. I bet he would get on well with Richie incognitus. Klatt is the main guy for fs 1 and he shouldn't even have a job. I thought it would be great to have a new sports channel to rival espn but right now it's nothin more than a cheap, thrown together, regional_looking nationwide broadcast with outdated equipment

rock on sooner
11/11/2013, 07:30 AM
I thought so as well, strange angle.

Strange angle, indeed! 300# linemen looked like ants and a mouse
was squeakin' whilst tellin us bout the game....

olevetonahill
11/11/2013, 07:56 AM
Strange angle, indeed! 300# linemen looked like ants and a mouse
was squeakin' whilst tellin us bout the game....

squeakin? Ya let the dill pickle sucker off easy , Boy had 3 Cucumbers and a Mouthfull of Alum .,

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2013, 11:31 AM
I agree with almost everything in Chatmon's blog. Just wish it came from Stoops at his presser.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/75621/how-ou-can-salvage-its-season

Soonerjeepman
11/11/2013, 12:41 PM
Get young players plenty of game experience. Coach Bob Stoops raved about his freshman class in August. It's time for those freshmen, like receiver Austin Bennett or safety Ahmad Thomas, who aren't in the midst of a redshirt year, to see the field much more often. If they're going to use a year of eligibility, why not use it by getting them prepared to make an impact as sophomores? True enough, there will be ups and downs to deal with, and the potential for opponents to take advantage of them, but it would pay off in 2014, show them what it takes to be successful at this level and could give them confidence heading into the offseason. One series here or there and those guys can gain some game experience while the Sooners remain committed to their starting lineup and veterans.

won't happen...stoops is too stubborn.

yermom
11/11/2013, 01:17 PM
I agree with almost everything in Chatmon's blog. Just wish it came from Stoops at his presser.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/75621/how-ou-can-salvage-its-season

maybe Bob Stoops is working on a medical redshirt for Thompson and he's next-leveling all of us

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2013, 01:33 PM
maybe Bob Stoops is working on a medical redshirt for Thompson and he's next-leveling all of us

That was speculated on the other KT thread. KT's father's behavior certainly wouldn't support that unless he's just outside the loop. I was actually pleased that TK got some snaps in the Baylor game. I would have much rather seen it on a series basis than the alternating play thing that looked so disorganized. Regardless, there are many positions outside QB that could use the enthusiasm of a player thrill to just get on the field.

SoonerMarkVA
11/11/2013, 02:07 PM
That was speculated on the other KT thread. KT's father's behavior certainly wouldn't support that unless he's just outside the loop. I was actually pleased that TK got some snaps in the Baylor game. I would have much rather seen it on a series basis than the alternating play thing that looked so disorganized. Regardless, there are many positions outside QB that could use the enthusiasm of a player thrill to just get on the field.

Yeah, the way they did it seemed most likely to make both QBs play worse. Not to mention the time it burned in substitution when they need 20s just to stand around and get the play called in from the sideline after lining up.

yermom
11/11/2013, 06:01 PM

yeah, i saw that later. it would kinda make sense if that was in the back of their minds though, if he's the future, and we already can't win the Big 12, why waste a year of eligibility?

8timechamps
11/11/2013, 06:06 PM
Get young players plenty of game experience. Coach Bob Stoops raved about his freshman class in August. It's time for those freshmen, like receiver Austin Bennett or safety Ahmad Thomas, who aren't in the midst of a redshirt year, to see the field much more often. If they're going to use a year of eligibility, why not use it by getting them prepared to make an impact as sophomores? True enough, there will be ups and downs to deal with, and the potential for opponents to take advantage of them, but it would pay off in 2014, show them what it takes to be successful at this level and could give them confidence heading into the offseason. One series here or there and those guys can gain some game experience while the Sooners remain committed to their starting lineup and veterans.

won't happen...stoops is too stubborn.

I think we will see some of the young guys this weekend.

I'd be surprised if Shepard plays, which would mean Bennett will get some time. If Colvin can't go, then Johnson/Taylor will play.

Otherwise, I don't see why you would take playing time away from a guy that's earned it just to get another guy more experience. Now, if the game is a blow-out, that's a different story. But, I don't think you tell a senior like Lynn that he's not playing because one of the freshman needs some experience.

I don't think it's stubbornness on Stoops' part. Not playing young guys in a blow-out, that's when he has been stubborn, but not in this case.