PDA

View Full Version : Baylor is the first game in many years where I fear getting blown out

dennis580
10/28/2013, 10:00 AM
Of course there have been games I fear OU losing, but its been a very long time since there has been game I actually fear OU getting blown out.

SoonerMarkVA
10/28/2013, 10:05 AM
Since each time OU's been blown out I had no fear of it happening, maybe it's a good sign. Stoops sure seems to get motivated as an underdog.

olevetonahill
10/28/2013, 10:10 AM
I aint skeered we Have Blake to lead us to the Promised land. :wink:

JLEW1818
10/28/2013, 10:12 AM
Baylor 45
OU 31

thecrimsoncrusader
10/28/2013, 10:15 AM
The first quarter will determine whether this is a 4 quarter competitive game or not. I do think it will be a competitive 4 quarter game for a variety of reasons, but unfortunately, I think OU has lost too many key guns personnel wise now on both sides of the ball to actually win it. Baylor's only injury on the season is their 3rd string tight-end. *sigh*

cleller
10/28/2013, 10:17 AM
Big plays against our D early will be hard to overcome. Baylor is sure to know this, and exactly where to exploit it.

picasso
10/28/2013, 10:25 AM
Of course there have been games I fear OU losing, but its been a very long time since there has been game I actually fear OU getting blown out.

And you get two whole weeks to fester that fear!

Boo.

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2013, 10:39 AM
“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself” (and getting blown out by Baylor)

SouthFortySooner
10/28/2013, 10:53 AM
Which is bigger, Okie State winning the Big XII couple years ago, or Baylor beating us twice?

cherokeebrewer
10/28/2013, 11:08 AM
Wussy alert!

rock on sooner
10/28/2013, 11:09 AM
Baylor 45
OU 31

Wrong thread...:wink:

okiedokie
10/28/2013, 05:36 PM
OU 38
Baylor 28

our D-fence comes to play and gets a couple
picks ;)

cvsooner
10/28/2013, 05:40 PM
I don't fear it but I'm not looking forward to it. I think we'll give Baylor a real obstacle but I don't see us winning in Waco. I think we're too easy to shut down and even though we will hold Baylor to a season low 28 points--it won't be enough. Hope I'm wrong.

okiedokie
10/28/2013, 05:45 PM
I don't fear it but I'm not looking forward to it. I think we'll give Baylor a real obstacle but I don't see us winning in Waco. I think we're too easy to shut down and even though we will hold Baylor to a season low 28 points--it won't be enough. Hope I'm wrong.

one thing is our guys have nothing to lose in this game. Not many people expecting us to win so they should play loose and go all out.

8timechamps
10/28/2013, 06:57 PM
OU has a much better chance in this game than a lot of folks think.

We must play like we played against Tech, control the clock, keep Baylor from running free behind our secondary as much as possible. Baylor has better talent at WR than Tech had, but they don't have anyone that touches Amaro. Baylor has better running backs than Tech, and a better O-line. So, the defense will have to put up just as good an effort.

It's going to boil down to defense for both teams. Coach Stoops said today that Baylor isn't doing anything special on offense, they are just executing. So, Mike Stoops knows how to stop/slow Baylor, OU has the athletes, it's just a matter of execution.

Nobody is giving OU a chance. The last time we were discounted like this was the pre-season (nobody believed the defense would be worth a crap. That turned out pretty well. I suspect we'll be right in this one 'til the end.

birddog
10/28/2013, 07:00 PM
Don't remember the last time we were opening dawgs at 14.5. We'll see but I think it's their year. We just don't have all the pieces in place

8timechamps
10/28/2013, 07:03 PM
Don't remember the last time we were opening dawgs at 14.5. We'll see but I think it's their year. We just don't have all the pieces in place

It's really hard to see us winning, with our best D-lineman, our best linebacker and our best offensive player out, but stranger things have happened.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/28/2013, 07:17 PM
It's really hard to see us winning, with our best D-lineman, our best linebacker and our best offensive player out, but stranger things have happened.

Even with OU's injuries and issues, I think Oklahoma is still a lot better than KSU on both offense and defense and they presented a heck of a challenge to Baylor. KSU rushed for over 300 yards and had the lead in the 4th quarter and only lost 35-35 and a turnover in the 4th quarter was the big play to turn it into the 35-25 game. Byrce Petty has yet to be pressured this year and his receivers have yet to be covered this year. I think Oklahoma will present a new experience to both Petty and his receivers that they haven't seen this year. Will that be enough? No idea.

birddog
10/28/2013, 07:17 PM
the line has dropped to 12 so peeps think it will be "close" I just find it really hard for us to get out of there with a win. If we played at home I think we would actually be favored based on history

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2013, 07:42 PM
OU has a much better chance in this game than a lot of folks think.

We must play like we played against Tech, control the clock, keep Baylor from running free behind our secondary as much as possible. Baylor has better talent at WR than Tech had, but they don't have anyone that touches Amaro. Baylor has better running backs than Tech, and a better O-line. So, the defense will have to put up just as good an effort.

It's going to boil down to defense for both teams. Coach Stoops said today that Baylor isn't doing anything special on offense, they are just executing. So, Mike Stoops knows how to stop/slow Baylor, OU has the athletes, it's just a matter of execution.

Nobody is giving OU a chance. The last time we were discounted like this was the pre-season (nobody believed the defense would be worth a crap. That turned out pretty well. I suspect we'll be right in this one 'til the end.

So Baylor has better WRs than TT, better O-line than TT and a better RB than TT and TT just scored 30pts on us. But at least we play at their place - oh, wait... where can I get a piece of that 12 pt line? :black_eyed:

But we do have that one advantage you pointed out: Nobody is giving OU a chance :friendly_wink:

8timechamps
10/28/2013, 07:47 PM
So Baylor has better WRs than TT, better O-line than TT and a better RB than TT and TT just scored 30pts on us. But at least we play at their place - oh, wait... where can I get a piece of that 12 pt line? :black_eyed:

But we do have that one advantage you pointed out: Nobody is giving OU a chance :friendly_wink:

I KNEW you would be the one to reply to that :)

Seriously though, my point was that we'll have to have an equal, or better, defensive performance to win. I always play the "what if" game, and wonder if we don't give them the onside kick, how that changes the game. At one point, we're up 21-7, and it felt like we were close to blowing it open. But, to Tech's credit, they never gave up.

Soonerus
10/28/2013, 08:09 PM
I think we will crush da bears...

okiedokie
10/28/2013, 09:04 PM
Key to the game for OU.....Striker!!

jkjsooner
10/28/2013, 09:09 PM

I thought we would get blown out by Florida which is why I was shocked at the reaction to such a closely contested game. I came out feeling that we proved the pundits wrong by hanging with Florida and this same pundits who were predicting a blowout criticized us unmercifully.

King Barry's Back
10/29/2013, 05:42 AM

"...stranger things have happened." See: Oklahoma-Texas, Cotton Bowl, Oct 2013. To my mind, that was a bigger shock than OU winning against Baylor.

Folks, we'll see who shows up next Thursday night, and we'll see how they play. If we are ticking on offense, I expect to break 30 points. Maybe that will be enough. We were never going to be national champions this year, so I've been in an "enjoy each game" mode all season -- and i see no reason not to enjoy this next one.

badger
10/29/2013, 08:16 AM
I think we will crush da bears...

I think you should start a thread to this tune to ensure victory

rock on sooner
10/29/2013, 09:38 AM

Talking about being big underdogs, the Blake YEARS come to mind....
It'd be cool to see the guys come out with giant chips on their shoulders
and smack the Bears right between the eyes by creating three and outs
for them and a couple of TD's for the good guys. Has Baylor even trailed
this season?

UteSooner
10/29/2013, 10:25 AM
Have no fear Sooner fans! I know we said the same about TT (who gave us a good game), but Baylor hasn't played anyone. Out of the BCS-level competition (if the lower half of Big 12 qualifies as such) the best record they've faced is KSU at 3-4....and KSU gave them some trouble. Baylor will look much more mortal against the top half of the conference. Odds are against them going undefeated. I wish this was a home game without all the injuries sustained but OU can win with a performance like they had against ND or TT. Don't count them out!

thecrimsoncrusader
10/29/2013, 10:31 AM
Baylor has better wide-outs, but they don't have an Amaro and that causes a different set of problems. Baylor is vastly superior to Texas Tech running the football though.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/29/2013, 10:38 AM
Was Baylor on that murderer's row MS Paint thing that we were using to laugh at texass a couple of year's back?

Soonerjeepman
10/29/2013, 10:40 AM
Has Baylor even trailed
this season?

I believe against ksu they did...21/25 in the 3rd qtr

olevetonahill
10/29/2013, 11:01 AM
I believe against ksu they did...21/25 in the 3rd qtr

You are right Sir

1 2 3 4 T
#15 BAY 7 14 0 14 35
KSU 0 10 15 0 25

Soonerjeepman
10/29/2013, 11:42 AM
lol..the first part I was pretty sure....for the second part I actually looked up the score...lol memory isn't that good~

thecrimsoncrusader
10/29/2013, 12:15 PM
Baylor was up 28-25 with 11:22 to go in the 4th quarter and Kansas St. had a 4th and 2 at the Baylor 24 and KSU tried and missed a 41 yard field goal. Then 7 plays later, Baylor punted and KSU had the ball at the KSU 20 and then Daniel Sims threw an unfortunate interception, which led to Baylor getting the final score of the game to 35-25. It was very much anybody's ball game in the 4th quarter.

The two things I want for this game to lead to a victory is Oklahoma having 0 turnovers AND rushing for over 200 yards. Do both of those things and I think everything else will fall into place defensively for the Sooners. Hopefully, special teams will be a little smarter in this game.

8timechamps
10/29/2013, 04:45 PM
Baylor has better wide-outs, but they don't have an Amaro and that causes a different set of problems. Baylor is vastly superior to Texas Tech running the football though.

I noted this too, and I think it's a huge difference. Having a guy like Amaro causes more problems to a defense than having really good wide receivers. I thought OU did a very good job keeping Amaro in check, and he still managed over 100 yards. To my knowledge, Baylor doesn't possess a guy that even comes close to Amaro's ability.

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2013, 05:52 PM
I noted this too, and I think it's a huge difference. Having a guy like Amaro causes more problems to a defense than having really good wide receivers. I thought OU did a very good job keeping Amaro in check, and he still managed over 100 yards. To my knowledge, Baylor doesn't possess a guy that even comes close to Amaro's ability.

At least you spared us from comparing TT's true freshman QB who hasn't even started all their games to Baylor's QB. It would be cruel to bring that up.

8timechamps
10/29/2013, 05:58 PM
At least you spared us from comparing TT's true freshman QB who hasn't even started all their games to Baylor's QB. It would be cruel to bring that up.

C'mon, give me a little credit :)

Webb is better than I was expecting though. Being a true freshman, in a hostile environment, in a close game, he played admirably. But honestly, I think he's at his pinnacle. I'm sure he'll develop mentally with more reps, but I don't know that the kid has a ton more upside.

Petty is just ridiculously accurate. The defensive gameplan should be very similar to Tech, use Striker to put pressure on Petty and hope the defensive backs can cover. I don't think Petty has seen pressure most of the year. Heck, I don't think he's played enough to see pressure this year.

dennis580
10/29/2013, 07:27 PM

If we hold Baylor to 28 points we WILL win. The problem is we won't be holding them anywhere close to 28 points

Peeb
10/29/2013, 07:33 PM
At this point, Baylor APPEARS to have the best team in the league, but they will not blow OU out, nor is it a certainty that they will even beat OU.

SicEmBaylor
10/29/2013, 07:42 PM
At this point, Baylor APPEARS to have the best team in the league, but they will not blow OU out, nor is it a certainty that they will even beat OU.
There is no such thing as certainty.

SicEmBaylor
10/29/2013, 07:43 PM
Petty is just ridiculously accurate. The defensive gameplan should be very similar to Tech, use Striker to put pressure on Petty and hope the defensive backs can cover. I don't think Petty has seen pressure most of the year. Heck, I don't think he's played enough to see pressure this year.
There are options for that. We aren't an air-raid offense like Tech.

Peeb
10/29/2013, 08:06 PM

BTW- have some faith! Sooners are respected and feared. Get a couple of quick scores and you will remember who you are- and Baylor will remember who they are. ;)

EDIT: oops- meant to edit my last post and instead quoted myself. I would never intentionally quote that idiot!

Okie35
10/30/2013, 02:10 PM
If we come out running with 4 backs ( ford, finch, Williams, clay) we won't get blown out and may just win. Petty hasn't seen our line or dbs so if he gets hit early and often it'll be close. Most important thing is not abandoning the run game like against Texas when guys were averaging Over 4 and 5 yards a carry. I feel we can run on anyone if we use every back.

Okie35
10/30/2013, 02:12 PM

You barely ran on KSU. You had big passing plays on their corners but petty mainly picked on their walk on player all game. Anyway I expect Briles to throw in surprises and new schemes. Hopefully bob and company can too or it'll be a long night. It could end up like 2011.

8timechamps
10/30/2013, 02:35 PM

While the Bears may not call their offense an "air raid", it's pretty clear how much they like to throw the ball. If OU can take away one of the two (run/pass), that makes Baylor one dimensional. Anytime a team is one dimensional, it's a tough proposition. The biggest difference between Baylor and Tech is the ability to run the ball. IF Baylor can get the run going, and set up the deadly passing game, then OU will be playing from behind all day.

I went back and watched last year's Baylor/OU game, and I liked the defensive gameplan we had. Petty is a better passer than Florence, so there will be more pressure on our DBs to contain, but overall, there isn't a ton of difference between Baylor 2012 and Baylor 2013. In fact, the biggest difference I see is how much Baylor has improved on the little things. They're just running the offense very, very efficiently.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/30/2013, 02:49 PM
With Baylor, you definitely either want to take away the run or the pass. Trying to find a middle ground of slowing them both down if a futile effort that will lead to a loss. Last season, OU took away the pass and gave way to the ground and Oklahoma won and Baylor had one of their lower scoring outputs of the season. Against Iowa St. and TCU, Baylor's lowest scoring games of the season last season, Iowa St. and TCU took away the ground game and let Baylor have their way in the air. In that scenario, Baylor only netted 21 points in each of those games.

I think with OU's injury situation and once again, being able to defend the pass better than the run this year, OU may need to employ the same strategy of primarily using a dime defense, but throwing in a lot of different looks, the latter is something OU didn't do last season compared to this season. Both Iowa St. and TCU used a 4-2-5 against Baylor last season, but I am not sure that's the best route for OU to go this season. If OU still had Phillips and Nelson, I would feel differently.

8timechamps
10/30/2013, 02:54 PM
With Baylor, you definitely either want to take away the run or the pass. Trying to find a middle ground of slowing them both down if a futile effort that will lead to a loss. Last season, OU took away the pass and gave way to the ground and Oklahoma won and Baylor had one of their lower scoring outputs of the season. Against Iowa St. and TCU, Baylor's lowest scoring games of the season last season, Iowa St. and TCU took away the ground game and let Baylor have their way in the air. In that scenario, Baylor only netted 21 points in each of those games.

I think with OU's injury situation and once again, being able to defend the pass better than the run this year, OU may need to employ the same strategy of primarily using a dime defense, but throwing in a lot of different looks, the latter is something OU didn't do last season compared to this season. Both Iowa St. and TCU used a 4-2-5 against Baylor last season, but I am not sure that's the best route for OU to go this season. If OU still had Phillips and Nelson, I would feel differently.

Couldn't agree more.

While Alexander and Wade have made strides in their performances, I'm still not sure you want to dare a team, with the talent Baylor has at running back, to run on you. But, I think that's the lesser of two evils. Having Peterson back at DT and Shannon back at LB gives me a little bit of comfort though.

We just have to keep in mind that games like Tech and Baylor are the reasons we put in a 3-3-5. So far, we're 1 for 1 with it against the high power offenses.

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2013, 02:59 PM
FWIW, they just announced the tarp will be removed. Now you should be very afraid.

BoulderSooner79
10/30/2013, 03:41 PM
FWIW, they just announced the tarp will be removed. Now you should be very afraid.

You are going to be licking your wounds when OUr boys rack up a moral victory in Waco. We are going to hold your guys to less than their average in some statistical category. And you can take that shame to the bank. :cocksure:

8timechamps
10/30/2013, 03:58 PM

Damn!

Wishboned
10/30/2013, 05:22 PM

**** just got real yo.

olevetonahill
10/30/2013, 05:32 PM

My Butthole just puckered.

SoonerMarkVA
10/30/2013, 06:20 PM

Oh my goodness ... they just Metoyer'd Floyd Casey.

EatLeadCommie
10/30/2013, 06:44 PM
I'm not comfortable with our ability to stop the run for obvious reasons. Also, in spite of statements to the contrary, our secondary hasn't exactly been stellar this year in spite of the numbers because it hasn't been tested. ULM, TCU, WVU, ND, UT, and KU are not exactly passing juggernauts. KU might be the worst passing team in Division I. TT was able to pass against us with relative ease, especially when they went more to the shorter game to stave off the occasional pass rush. I expect Baylor to run a lot of 3 step drops, mix it in with Seastrunk, and then thump us over the top. Colvin has regressed this year and I'm not sold on Sanchez after last week. And I don't care who you are, you're going to get gassed when you have a different receiver running 50 yard streaks past you every play. This game is, much like aTm last year, a bad matchup for OU. There is a reason we are double digit dogs. We haven't been that since when? Maybe UT in 2005?

8timechamps
10/30/2013, 07:20 PM
I'm not comfortable with our ability to stop the run for obvious reasons. Also, in spite of statements to the contrary, our secondary hasn't exactly been stellar this year in spite of the numbers because it hasn't been tested. ULM, TCU, WVU, ND, UT, and KU are not exactly passing juggernauts. KU might be the worst passing team in Division I. TT was able to pass against us with relative ease, especially when they went more to the shorter game to stave off the occasional pass rush. I expect Baylor to run a lot of 3 step drops, mix it in with Seastrunk, and then thump us over the top. Colvin has regressed this year and I'm not sold on Sanchez after last week. And I don't care who you are, you're going to get gassed when you have a different receiver running 50 yard streaks past you every play. This game is, much like aTm last year, a bad matchup for OU. There is a reason we are double digit dogs. We haven't been that since when? Maybe UT in 2005?

Tech did was Tech has done all year, they threw the ball a lot. The problem (for Tech) was they didn't score a lot. While Petty is more accurate than Webb, I'm hard pressed to think he'll throw the ball more than Webb did (53 times). If he does, things are definitely not going our way.

I guess I don't see what Baylor can do that Tech didn't (in the air). Sanchez got beat on a double move, and mis read a route later, otherwise, he was very solid. I don't think you can find a better freshman CB in the country. I do agree that Colvin hasn't quite had the same year, but I don't think he's regressed at all. In fact, outside of some PI calls, I can't think of a time when he was just flat out beaten.

I fully expect Baylor to run quick passing plays (although that's not been their bread and butter this year), but as I said earlier, I don't see anyone on their roster that is nearly as good as Jace Amaro (in that role). There's a huge difference in having a go-to guy across the middle, and having to put it out to a receiver on a quick hitch or screen. Where we could be hurt is in the running game. If Seastrunk has early success, then we'll have to commit more to the LOS, and that would definitely create problems for us.

I guess I don't see the over-matched issues you mention. If anything, I think Baylor's strengths play to our strengths. You mention A&M from last year, and I'll just add that the reason the defense looks the way it does this year is because of that game.

Also, I've seen it mentioned a couple of times that we're "double digit dogs", yet I can't find a Vegas sports book that has even released a line. Is this just what people think the spread will be?

olevetonahill
10/30/2013, 07:57 PM
Tech did was Tech has done all year, they threw the ball a lot. The problem (for Tech) was they didn't score a lot. While Petty is more accurate than Webb, I'm hard pressed to think he'll throw the ball more than Webb did (53 times). If he does, things are definitely not going our way.

I guess I don't see what Baylor can do that Tech didn't (in the air). Sanchez got beat on a double move, and mis read a route later, otherwise, he was very solid. I don't think you can find a better freshman CB in the country. I do agree that Colvin hasn't quite had the same year, but I don't think he's regressed at all. In fact, outside of some PI calls, I can't think of a time when he was just flat out beaten.

I fully expect Baylor to run quick passing plays (although that's not been their bread and butter this year), but as I said earlier, I don't see anyone on their roster that is nearly as good as Jace Amaro (in that role). There's a huge difference in having a go-to guy across the middle, and having to put it out to a receiver on a quick hitch or screen. Where we could be hurt is in the running game. If Seastrunk has early success, then we'll have to commit more to the LOS, and that would definitely create problems for us.

I guess I don't see the over-matched issues you mention. If anything, I think Baylor's strengths play to our strengths. You mention A&M from last year, and I'll just add that the reason the defense looks the way it does this year is because of that game.

Also, I've seen it mentioned a couple of times that we're "double digit dogs", yet I can't find a Vegas sports book that has even released a line. Is this just what people think the spread will be?

Vegas hasnt set any yet. I think who ever said we were 14 point dogs pulled that out of his Magic Kingdom.

8timechamps
10/30/2013, 08:10 PM
Vegas hasnt set any yet. I think who ever said we were 14 point dogs pulled that out of his Magic Kingdom.

That's what I was wondering. I know some offshore places set lines early, but Vegas typically doesn't release a line a week this early.

olevetonahill
10/30/2013, 08:16 PM
That's what I was wondering. I know some offshore places set lines early, but Vegas typically doesn't release a line a week this early.

I googled it every which way and NOTHING

I Am Right
10/30/2013, 09:26 PM
I have been burned too many times. I am so pessimistic. I think it may be 110 to nothing. I have my hopes up and then dashed against the rocks, it is hard to think we will win, USC, LSU, OSU, Boise State, WVU, El Paso, KSU, Notre Dame, MU. I just cant get up for a win this time around!

stoopified
10/31/2013, 07:56 AM
Baylor has blown out a lot of bad teams but has yet to beat a good team.Ou has wins over ND and TT.I'll take the battle tested Sooners by 7.

8timechamps
10/31/2013, 02:41 PM
I have been burned too many times. I am so pessimistic. I think it may be 110 to nothing. I have my hopes up and then dashed against the rocks, it is hard to think we will win, USC, LSU, OSU, Boise State, WVU, El Paso, KSU, Notre Dame, MU. I just cant get up for a win this time around!

Surely you are a fan of other sports teams that have done the same. It sucks when OU loses (regardless to whom), but that's how it works in sports. At least our team wins far more than they lose.

swardboy
10/31/2013, 03:15 PM
No turnovers. No penalties. I'd put us in any game with that recipe.

You may call me a dreamer, but I'm not the only one....

JiminyChristmas
10/31/2013, 03:35 PM
I went back and watched the Baylor/KSU game since I missed it for some other game in Dallas that day. KSU moved the ball all day long on the Baylor D. I know they more than doubled their 155 ypg rushing stat by going well over 300. Probably 275 of those yards came from the two KSU QBs.

Obviously turnovers can swing any game, so with winning the turnover battle being an obvious key to the game, here are my others (not in any particular order):

1) Don't chase points early. KSU cost themselves 3 points on the first drive of the game by going for a 4th and 2 in the Baylor red zone. Those would have been big points later. Wound up being in a position to go for 2 twice in the second half and not getting them. That's 5, should be automatic points.

2) Blake Bell, or in combination with another QB, needs to run for around 100 yards.

3) Force Petty to keep the ball on all the read plays. Just tackle the RB every time if you have to, but Petty won't hurt you like Seastrunk might if he gets loose.

4) Pound away with the running game. Get Finch some carries early because it looks like there is lots of space to work with against the Baylor D that will suit Finch well.

5) When we do throw it, I think we can pick on the Baylor corners pretty well. That looked like the weak link to me.

6) Our DBs just can't get caught flat footed and let people behind them. Baylor had TD passes against KSU of 90+, 70+, and 50+. Those were the difference. KSU did a really good job against the Baylor run game. I would follow that blueprint.

7) Better first quarter offense for our Sooners. Worst thing would be to dig a hole and abandon the run game trying to play catch up.

If we get the QB involved some in the run game, we can go for about 350 yards on the ground, control the clock, and win the game. It appears to me that the recipe is right for the offense to roll in this one.

8timechamps
10/31/2013, 03:53 PM
I went back and watched the Baylor/KSU game since I missed it for some other game in Dallas that day. KSU moved the ball all day long on the Baylor D. I know they more than doubled their 155 ypg rushing stat by going well over 300. Probably 275 of those yards came from the two KSU QBs.

Obviously turnovers can swing any game, so with winning the turnover battle being an obvious key to the game, here are my others (not in any particular order):

1) Don't chase points early. KSU cost themselves 3 points on the first drive of the game by going for a 4th and 2 in the Baylor red zone. Those would have been big points later. Wound up being in a position to go for 2 twice in the second half and not getting them. That's 5, should be automatic points.

2) Blake Bell, or in combination with another QB, needs to run for around 100 yards.

3) Force Petty to keep the ball on all the read plays. Just tackle the RB every time if you have to, but Petty won't hurt you like Seastrunk might if he gets loose.

4) Pound away with the running game. Get Finch some carries early because it looks like there is lots of space to work with against the Baylor D that will suit Finch well.

5) When we do throw it, I think we can pick on the Baylor corners pretty well. That looked like the weak link to me.

6) Our DBs just can't get caught flat footed and let people behind them. Baylor had TD passes against KSU of 90+, 70+, and 50+. Those were the difference. KSU did a really good job against the Baylor run game. I would follow that blueprint.

7) Better first quarter offense for our Sooners. Worst thing would be to dig a hole and abandon the run game trying to play catch up.

If we get the QB involved some in the run game, we can go for about 350 yards on the ground, control the clock, and win the game. It appears to me that the recipe is right for the offense to roll in this one.

I don't think Bell (or an Sooner QB) will rush for 100+ yards by design, but OU is much deeper at RB than KSU, so I think a 50+ yard QB added in with our stable of backs would be enough.

I noticed the same thing when I went back and looked at the Baylor/KSU game (about the ability to run on their D). The biggest thing I noticed was that KSU never really had much of a passing game going, yet they still were able to move the ball.

It could be that Baylor's weakness is their defense. If the offense can't get on the field, they can't score. I also think that Eric Striker will be huge for us in this game. Tech decided not to account for him with a RB or TE, and he was in the Tech backfield all day. If Baylor makes the same decision, I expect the same thing. If they decide to keep someone in to help block, that just makes our secondary job a little easier.

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2013, 04:34 PM
I don't think Bell (or an Sooner QB) will rush for 100+ yards by design, but OU is much deeper at RB than KSU, so I think a 50+ yard QB added in with our stable of backs would be enough.

^This. Everyone keeps assuming that Bell is a running QB and it's not true. He's good for a few 1st downs on draws and keepers up the middle. It's valuable, but he's not going to go for 100+ yards. That KSU QB (Sams) is a beast and he accounted for 200 of the rushing yards - we don't have a player like that even if we were willing to bring in TK. Knight is elusive, but doesn't have that kind of size. Our ability to run will be critical, but we won't be trying to mimic KSU. And Bell will have to have a good day passing too.

Widescreen
10/31/2013, 05:27 PM
At least our team wins far more than they lose.

We used to have a higher standard than that.

JiminyChristmas
10/31/2013, 06:12 PM
^This. Everyone keeps assuming that Bell is a running QB and it's not true. He's good for a few 1st downs on draws and keepers up the middle. It's valuable, but he's not going to go for 100+ yards. That KSU QB (Sams) is a beast and he accounted for 200 of the rushing yards - we don't have a player like that even if we were willing to bring in TK. Knight is elusive, but doesn't have that kind of size. Our ability to run will be critical, but we won't be trying to mimic KSU. And Bell will have to have a good day passing too.

I'm not suggesting trying to mimic the KSU game plan for the way they run the QB. I'm just suggesting that I think even with limited QB run plays and scrambles it appears our QB could gain yards in chunks. Do that a few times and you can get easily in the 50+ yard range, maybe close to 100.

8timechamps
10/31/2013, 06:20 PM

Who doesn't?

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2013, 07:13 PM

Gotta keep up with the times. :tranquillity:

birddog
10/31/2013, 08:49 PM
Maybe we shouldn't traumatized the kids by taking them to wacko. Once u go, ur never the same again

thecrimsoncrusader
11/1/2013, 06:59 AM
Kevin Lockett was out for the Baylor game, so KSU was forced to be one-dimensional. I liked the fact that Baylor knew that KSU could only run the football in that game and KSU still got 327 rushing yards. While it's true that Bell can run nowhere near as capable as Sams, he still falls into the category of being an effective runner, but more importantly, Oklahoma has a better running back corps than KSU, so I believe that offsets things. On top of that, Oklahoma's receiving corps is much better than KSU's and Oklahoma's offense isn't one-dimensional.

Baylor's defense was horrid last season and they by and large, have the same personnel as this year. The biggest difference is they have 2 senior starting defensive-ends, a senior and junior LB corps and 4 senior DBs. Their experience is masking their limiteded talent overall on defense, although their LBs are pretty solid. They're defense is improved, but it's still largely a product of the schedule they have played, which consists of teams with a cumulative record of 24-29.