PDA

View Full Version : Gray should not be a primary color of a uniform

achiro
10/28/2013, 08:46 AM
Unless it's a team color, the gray helmets, jerseys, and pants have got to go. Of all the crazy uni stuff going on, this is the worst.

instigator
10/28/2013, 08:50 AM
Agreed. I understand kids like crazy uniforms but that gray is worse than any of them. It's just not an attractive color combo. Maybe a darker gun metal version would look nicer but that light gray was horrible.

cleller
10/28/2013, 10:21 AM
Amen all day long. So sick of that stuff.

SoonerorLater
10/28/2013, 10:23 AM
Texas Tech changing their uniforms are a perfect example of a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Sick of the "look at me" uniform shuffle.

picasso
10/28/2013, 10:29 AM
Technically, gray isn't even a color.

I'm also highly against matte finished helmets.
It's the gamer nerd generation take over.
Dorks.

Mjcpr
10/28/2013, 10:31 AM
Technically, gray isn't even a color.

I'm also highly against matte finished helmets.
It's the gamer nerd generation take over.
Dorks.

I hate the uniform change craziness as much as anybody but I actually kind of like the occasional matte look. I think OU's helmeets will look good with that look when they do it....and you know they will do it eventually.

PrideMom
10/28/2013, 10:41 AM
I do not understand why young people view "tradition" synominous with "old fashion." You can't recognize teams anymore unless the names are down at the bottom of the TV screen. What needs to be stressed MORE, is the player INSIDE the uniform, not the UNIFORM. If the player wants to stand out, PLAY to the fullest and people will notice you! And yes, gray is not a color, it is what you get when you blend all colors together, which creates mud!! UGH!!

Boomer.....
10/28/2013, 10:43 AM
What's not to love?

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/7541/5dhn.jpg

MsProudSooner
10/28/2013, 10:48 AM
What's not to love?

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/7541/5dhn.jpg

Good example of the worst use of gray in a uniform.

badger
10/28/2013, 10:48 AM
Technically, gray isn't even a color

i see what you did there

Mjcpr
10/28/2013, 11:09 AM
I do not understand why young people view "tradition" synominous with "old fashion." You can't recognize teams anymore unless the names are down at the bottom of the TV screen. What needs to be stressed MORE, is the player INSIDE the uniform, not the UNIFORM. If the player wants to stand out, PLAY to the fullest and people will notice you! And yes, gray is not a color, it is what you get when you blend all colors together, which creates mud!! UGH!!

I hope you were shaking your first when you wrote that.

Jacie
10/28/2013, 12:40 PM
How about something in neon yellow with green highlights? Oh wait, Oregon already did that . . .

sooneron
10/28/2013, 12:47 PM
Flat battleship gray is horrible. Slate or graphite, however...

picasso
10/28/2013, 01:59 PM
I hate the uniform change craziness as much as anybody but I actually kind of like the occasional matte look. I think OU's helmeets will look good with that look when they do it....and you know they will do it eventually.
No I won't ya dork. You've said that before and I shakl say once and for all the only matte finish that I like is when varnishing a finished painting.
Go root for Poke if you want trendy uni ensembles.

picasso
10/28/2013, 02:02 PM
Good example of the worst use of gray in a uniform.

Those are actually better than the NY Giants ripoffs of a few years ago.

okiedokie
10/28/2013, 05:41 PM
Looks okay in my opinion...I more or less prefer the style than the color. Our RED or WHITE jerseys would look good if they just used the same design but left the overall color as traditional...

SicEmBaylor
10/28/2013, 05:45 PM
They gray is bad. They look like old practice unis.

Mjcpr
10/28/2013, 06:59 PM

Obviously you didn't make it past my first sentence.

Mjcpr
10/28/2013, 07:00 PM
Picasso thinks Penn State has always been too flashy. :D

8timechamps
10/28/2013, 07:52 PM
I'm a uniform nerd (not to be confused with actually liking all of the these new uniforms), and the current trend of gray is just taking the place of black. Let's just all be happy that the camo trend has stayed somewhat contained.

OU will add something new soon, Stoops has all but said the same, I just hope it's similar to the RRR from this year. I really don't want OU to do anything crazy (and I don't think that'll happen).

Now, from a Tech, OSU or KU perspective (you can even throw Baylor in here), there's not much tradition to fall back on, so why not try some new things? It does excite some segments of the fanbase and the kids. Sometimes, not often, they hit on a pretty solid change (I think Tulsa's gold helmets this year were solid).

achiro
10/28/2013, 08:53 PM
the current trend of gray is just taking the place of black.

except that black looks good in a lot of those cases. Gray isn't even in the same ball park.

jkjsooner
10/28/2013, 09:04 PM
I kind of like the gray uniforms but it's getting ridiculous that so many teams are going to them.

I say that while I'm watching the Red Sox in gray uniforms which reminds me how most baseball teams have a gray uniform...

bluedogok
10/28/2013, 10:58 PM
Texas Tech changing their uniforms are a perfect example of a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Sick of the "look at me" uniform shuffle.
My wife (Tech 88) and Tech co-workers (2007 grads) hate the gray uniforms.

BBQ Man
10/29/2013, 10:12 AM
I guess I'm boring. I like traditional uniforms and traditional colors.

The one thing I'd change is that when OU plays someone with distinctly different colors (like Tech, Baylor, TCU, Kansas, K-State), I think both teams should wear their colored jerseys, not the white ones. It looks great in the Utah/BYU game.

8timechamps
10/29/2013, 04:25 PM
except that black looks good in a lot of those cases. Gray isn't even in the same ball park.

No doubt, I can't think of a grey uniform I thought was an improvement.

Tech is almost making it their primary color now. Looks like they have another all gray uni on tap for next weekend.

8timechamps
10/29/2013, 04:27 PM
I guess I'm boring. I like traditional uniforms and traditional colors.

The one thing I'd change is that when OU plays someone with distinctly different colors (like Tech, Baylor, TCU, Kansas, K-State), I think both teams should wear their colored jerseys, not the white ones. It looks great in the Utah/BYU game.

There are some games I think should always be color on color. USC/UCLA, OU/Texas, Alabama/Tennessee...

I think the reason there is a rule against it is because if there wasn't, there would be a lot of teams with similar colors causing issues.

Now, on an unrelated note, I think it's strange that LSU wears white at home. Seems like you would want to use your school colored jersey as much as possible.

Herr Scholz
10/29/2013, 04:53 PM
You guys sure do seem concerned about color schemes a lot. NTTAWWT. ;)

Jacie
10/29/2013, 05:30 PM
Would you like to see UT in matte gray helmets?

NorthernIowaSooner
10/29/2013, 06:14 PM
There are some games I think should always be color on color. USC/UCLA, OU/Texas, Alabama/Tennessee...

I think the reason there is a rule against it is because if there wasn't, there would be a lot of teams with similar colors causing issues.

Now, on an unrelated note, I think it's strange that LSU wears white at home. Seems like you would want to use your school colored jersey as much as possible.

At one point the visiting or possibly both teams had to give up a timeout as punishment for going color on color. I don't recall where I saw that but it came up when USC/UCLA starting going all color again a few years back.

I think if the home team agrees it is ok then the timeout does not get charged as a penalty.

Peeb
10/29/2013, 07:29 PM
No I won't ya dork. You've said that before and I shakl say once and for all the only matte finish that I like is when varnishing a finished painting.
OK!

Srsly, when my Pokes work gray into the combo- Do. Not. Like. I'm obviously not young and hip.

HEY, YOU KIDS- GET OFF MY YARD!!

picasso
10/30/2013, 09:19 AM
OK!

Srsly, when my Pokes work gray into the combo- Do. Not. Like. I'm obviously not young and hip.

HEY, YOU KIDS- GET OFF MY YARD!!
Not a personal shot. Heh.
You have to admit though that the Poke org has openly bragged about the 147 different uni combos.
I always liked the early 80's oSu black helmet.

jkjsooner
10/30/2013, 11:10 AM

I can go with USC/UCLA and Bama/Tennesee since Tenn's orange is very light.

I think OU/UT would cause a problem as the colors would be close enough to cause a momentary issue. I'm not saying crimson is really similar to burnt orange but when scanning the field it could be an issue for a QB.