PDA

View Full Version : Who is responsible for game delays?

jkjsooner
10/26/2013, 03:38 PM
I'm guessing this is a Big 12 decision - either the officials or someone representing the conference.

This is quite the f' up for the conference. They have a top 25 game on national TV and now 99% of the country will not be able to see the second half. And you wonder why people think our conference is run by clowns.

Considering by all reports there was no lightening in the immediate area, heads should roll on this. The Big 12 has limited opportunities for top 25 matchups on national TV.

Purely pathetic. It's time we bolt this POS conference.

jkjsooner
10/26/2013, 03:39 PM
One more thing, I'd bet the Fox officials are not one bit pleased with this. My guess is that this will come up on our next round of negotiations - not that the Big 12 will have any leverage come the next round of negotiations to begin with.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2013, 03:54 PM
For the safety of the players and fans in the stands I highly doubt the conference cares what fox feels about the delay.

And the decision comes for both the athletic directors not the conference. But final say comes from the home team AD.

jkjsooner
10/26/2013, 04:31 PM
For the safety of the players and fans in the stands I highly doubt the conference cares what fox feels about the delay.

And the decision comes for both the athletic directors not the conference. But final say comes from the home team AD.

Safety? From every report I've heard there was no lightening anywhere near Norman.

And Castiglione's salary depends on TV contracts. Undermining the guy who pays the bills because of a non-event isn't bright.

Piware
10/26/2013, 06:06 PM
Was at the OU/Tech game in 2011. We nearly got drowned but evacuated when we were told to. Had to climb over dozens of people that decided to ignore the evacuation and "wait it out". It was a terrible storm and lots of folks just ignored the PA warning. until the last minute - then it was chaos. Maybe they thought it would be better to avoid a potentially dangerous situation all together than try to evacuate if it turned really ugly again.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2013, 06:43 PM

Safety? From every report I've heard there was no lightening anywhere near Norman.

And Castiglione's salary depends on TV contracts. Undermining the guy who pays the bills because of a non-event isn't bright.

I bet any AD would rather make a decision for the players and people they are responsible for when it comes to safety than rather worry about a few bucks!

jkjsooner
10/26/2013, 07:40 PM
Was at the OU/Tech game in 2011. We nearly got drowned but evacuated when we were told to. Had to climb over dozens of people that decided to ignore the evacuation and "wait it out". It was a terrible storm and lots of folks just ignored the PA warning. until the last minute - then it was chaos. Maybe they thought it would be better to avoid a potentially dangerous situation all together than try to evacuate if it turned really ugly again.

So now every time we have a rain storm we're going to delay the game because of a freak storm two years ago? Or worse we do it because playing TT in the rain was eerily familiar?

Thank God we don't play in Florida or the Pacific NW...

MsProudSooner
10/26/2013, 08:01 PM
The rules about weather delays are NCAA rules, not conference rules.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2013, 09:43 PM
The rules about weather delays are NCAA rules, not conference rules.

The rules yes. But it also up to the home school with agreement of the visiting.

I believe the rule is similar to high school where if there is lightning within 6 miles then game is delayed or stopped.

And yes there was lightning in the area that triggered the delay.

SoonerPride
10/27/2013, 07:03 AM
I made the most of the delay and hung out at our tailgate mostly dry under our tent. It was a fun afternoon and a great game.

Quit yer cryin.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/27/2013, 07:38 AM
They use lightning detectors. Very accurate and very correct. If a strike was within the warning distance, delay. How would you like to be zapped by lightning in the stands... Oh if that happened, what would we hear from people then?

the TCU v. Whorns game was delayed 3 hours by lightning Sat. Evening. Too bad that didn't help TCU.

jkjsooner
10/27/2013, 08:26 AM
I made the most of the delay and hung out at our tailgate mostly dry under our tent. It was a fun afternoon and a great game.

Quit yer cryin.

If there was lightning then I'll retract what I said. From what I heard from multiple sources who were there that there was no lightning.

The fact is that those of us who were out of state were extremely lucky to see the game. I've seen delayed games get pulled altogether. In either case, I'm sure we lost a lot of exposure as most people around the country wouldn't bother switching to Fox News.

And, by the way, Fox said it is up to the officials and the guideline is based on visuals of lightning and hearing the thunder within 30 seconds. From all I can tell these guidelines were not followed...

budbarrybob
10/27/2013, 08:50 AM
I was a mile from the stadium and definitely heard thunder just before 3 pm

BajaOklahoma
10/27/2013, 09:11 AM
Nationally, the game moved to the Fox News channel at 6:30, when the World Series started on Fox.
Fox needs to take some heat for not scrolling that info - I saw it on facebook. I'm sure they wanted their World Series numbers up.

yermom
10/27/2013, 09:19 AM
i could see lightning from inside Thai Delight at one point. the game was delayed. meh.

at least we won this time :)

two years ago you could tell they were waiting for pregame to finish. it was a little strange they waited as long as they did

Spray
10/27/2013, 09:38 AM
So glad our whiny, mountain-out-of-a-molehill fanbase is still in mid season form.

OklaPony
10/27/2013, 10:03 AM
Nationally, the game moved to the Fox News channel at 6:30, when the World Series started on Fox.
Fox needs to take some heat for not scrolling that info - I saw it on facebook. I'm sure they wanted their World Series numbers up.
I was watching on Cox Cable and they (or someone) was scrolling the hell out of it. What TV provider were you watching?

rock on sooner
10/27/2013, 10:04 AM

The announcers said at least three times that the game would move to Fox
Newschannel and it DID scroll on screen as well....

ouwasp
10/27/2013, 10:11 AM
If lightning was indeed involved, then that (postponement) has to be the decision. If it's just rain, so what? Play ball.

Anybody reading this that was at the Nebraska game in '83? Now THAT was a monsoon! OU almost beat the #1 Huskers too...

jkjsooner
10/27/2013, 11:23 AM
The announcers said at least three times that the game would move to Fox
Newschannel and it DID scroll on screen as well....

I didn't hear or see anything until about 20 minutes to switchover time. Living out of state we were convinced we wouldn't get the end of the game. We're extremely lucky Fox had their news channel or it might not have been an option.

Anyway, if there was lightning then it's the right call. It's just that from people I talked to there was none and it was an overreaction.

freshchris05
10/27/2013, 11:37 AM
Anyone mention that the National Weather Service is in Norman, yet?

MsProudSooner
10/27/2013, 12:03 PM
So glad our whiny, mountain-out-of-a-molehill fanbase is still in mid season form.

+1

olevetonahill
10/27/2013, 12:18 PM
Read somewhere about a Guy gettin Zapped by Lightning and the Skys were clear. Estimated the lightning traveled up to 12 miles to hit him.

jkjsooner
10/27/2013, 02:38 PM

I'm guessing you live in Oklahoma or west Texas. If you lived somewhere where it was really touch and go on whether you'll get the whole game and meanwhile your friends and family in Norman are reporting no lightning then it's more than a molehill. Seemed to me that someone was listening to a nervous Nellie lawyer...

I don't know if Fox can switch to the regional channels. I know they couldn't switch to FS1 as it was booked with games. I've experienced OU games getting pulled in my area for less than the World Series when the game ran over...

OkieThunderLion
10/27/2013, 03:24 PM
I'm guessing this is a Big 12 decision - either the officials or someone representing the conference.

This is quite the f' up for the conference. They have a top 25 game on national TV and now 99% of the country will not be able to see the second half. And you wonder why people think our conference is run by clowns.

Considering by all reports there was no lightening in the immediate area, heads should roll on this. The Big 12 has limited opportunities for top 25 matchups on national TV.

Purely pathetic. It's time we bolt this POS conference.

NCAA rule. NWS said lightning within 10-mile radius. Delay was necessary.

ashley
10/27/2013, 03:31 PM
They use lightning detectors. Very accurate and very correct. If a strike was within the warning distance, delay. How would you like to be zapped by lightning in the stands... Oh if that happened, what would we hear from people then?

the TCU v. Whorns game was delayed 3 hours by lightning Sat. Evening. Too bad that didn't help TCU.

Yes, same goes for football practice. All trainers have them in high school.